View Full Version : Interisland Ninja Rides Officially Cancelled

komohana
March 18th, 2009, 10:55 PM
http://www.kauaiworld.com/articles/2009/03/18/breaking_news/doc49c097b7b8915037043740.txt

:rant: :soapbox:

Well my island brothers and sisters (just in case...ya never know..) seems the interisland ninja rides that gave me warm and fuzzy feelings, and the occasional wet spot just thinking about um...have been offically cancelled...unless ya wanna container ship yer baby anywhere in the state...which is OK i suppose....just...HELL..riding on and off that boat sure seemed like the way to go!
Its unfortunate our government leaders let this one fall through the cracks. they should have just gone through the motions and treated the Superferry like any other business, although i'm sure this sorta thing (evading necessary protocols as a ways to achieve a means) has happened, and will happen again. they sorta rammed this thing down our throat. what is really sad IMO, is that the legislature, instead of holding the govnr in check, held a special session and did the same illegal thing she did by approving her special law for one business to do business whereby avoiding enviormental impact studies.
I wasnt one of the kauai residents out there on a surf board keeping the Superferry from coming here....i just didnt care for the way they pushed it through.

and now we're all stranded!

kkim
March 18th, 2009, 10:59 PM
yep, sad indeed.

now I gotta ride with the same peoples over and over. :D

Sound Wave
March 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
this is so stupid. i saw the story on the news this morning. it was such a good thing for hawaii.

oh well.

i suppose you guys could still come over and rent bikes.

komohana
March 19th, 2009, 12:43 AM
yep, sad indeed.

now I gotta ride with the same peoples over and over. :D

:ballchain:

:lalala: "hey!...i got you babe!...i got you babe!..." :lalala:

Sound Wave
March 19th, 2009, 01:04 AM
:ballchain:

:lalala: "hey!...i got you babe!...i got you babe!..." :lalala:

how romantic. lol

komohana
March 19th, 2009, 01:08 AM
how romantic. lol

see!?!...see what you guyz miss'in out on!?!? :madgrin:

miks
March 19th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Do what these fellas did, seems like a very good idea!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/26/article-1101934-02E1BA40000005DC-208_468x286.jpg

ninjabrewer
March 19th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I am in agreement, when I got here I was surprised to find out that there was no ferry. The SF, IMO, was needed.

RIP

nb

komohana
March 19th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Do what these fellas did, seems like a very good idea!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/26/article-1101934-02E1BA40000005DC-208_468x286.jpg

looks like he'd be juuuuust abit under-powered for the notorious channel between kauai and oahu...but he's got the right idea lol

;)

islanderman7
March 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM
OMG thats so sad to hear. The SF was a good thing for the islands. I am curious as to what environmental study is being done or is of concern?

Motor boats have been around for a long time so what could affect the reef systems even more?

komohana
March 19th, 2009, 05:37 PM
OMG thats so sad to hear. The SF was a good thing for the islands. I am curious as to what environmental study is being done or is of concern?

Motor boats have been around for a long time so what could affect the reef systems even more?

ok lemme see...
concerns from enviornmentalist was the size of the vessel and speed it would travel, possibly posing a threat to marine life (i.e. whales etc). community groups from the outer islands, (maui, kauai), were more concerned of the impact that this sort of travel would bring, (i.e. more traffic, infrastructure burdens, quality of life issues).

in 2005 the state exempts the SF from having to do an 'enviornmental review' prior to going into operation. several groups, (enviormental and community) challenged the legality of this exemption. i believe this 'review' looks at the operational impact of said activity on different fronts.

the legality of the exemption is challenged by the enviornmental and community groups, and the supreme court says that a 'enviornmental study' was needed before the SF went into operation. this prompts the state legislature into special session, and they pass this exemption which keeps the SF operating, but mandates a 'review', one of which is a 'draft enviornmental impact statement' on the upgrades that will be done at the harbors needed to support operation of the SF.

these concerns would have been addressed IF the state just went through the proper process. study, review, issue statements, public hearings...none of this occured till it was too late...WAY to late. so that just enflamed things out of proportion....then things got ugly...real ugly.

ninjabrewer
March 21st, 2009, 12:50 PM
Personnally, I have never understood why there are not ferries here already. Seems to me, several populated islands within close proximity, lets go visit each other. One of the arguments, the spread of invasive species, doesn't make since, you can still ship vehicles between islands, only on a barge that costs 4x as much. Bad enough that the economy has thrown 1200 into the unemployment line in Feb, now the state supreme court throws 200 more in.

my :2cents: from the forums token haole. :p

nb

komohana
March 21st, 2009, 02:14 PM
my :2cents: from the forums token haole. :p

nb

bruddah nb...you not haole! you're one of us man!

besides...being haole isn't one person anymore...its a state of mind!

:drinkpals:

istreefitty
July 13th, 2009, 02:30 AM
what is that state of mind? but on to the issue here, I find myself somewhat conservative usually, but this seems to be a very important issue. I absolutely LOVE this place (ive only been here for 3 weeks and never got to experience the beauty of the SF) but I know that I would kill myself if i supported something that potentially destroyed what makes it soo wonderful here. It makes sense to have the SF, but all things considered it is important to make sure the SF isnt destroying anything. My only thing is from what I understand inter island/mainland commerce has slowed down in the past decade. If just one ship dropped out or if they cut 4 trips out a week, wouldnt the SF just take place of that missing boat?? I dont know but sounds like it to me. Personally I would love to live on Kauai or Maui and work on ohau (it woud require a cheap studio in Honolulu).

All in all it would be awsome to ride on a neighboring island, but I will take air travel any day!!!