View Full Version : Getting pulled over

NewNinja
March 19th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I haven't been pulled over "knock on wood", but if i were to get pulled over, what would the cop ask for? and where do i put those things? like registration and all that? am i supposed to carry those with me at all times? newb question :] thanks in advance!

sometimesido
March 19th, 2009, 12:27 AM
same as car. I put mine under the seat in a ziplock bag. yes. yes.

kkim
March 19th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I keep the paperwork in my wallet.

komohana
March 19th, 2009, 12:52 AM
:whathesaid:

wallet...laminated my stuffs so's they dont crumble and become dust when i pull them out and the wind hits um...(usually after oh...about 3 full cycle washing machine trips...)

:washing:

Sound Wave
March 19th, 2009, 01:06 AM
i keep them in a ziplock bag in my inside jacket pocket.

BlueTyke
March 19th, 2009, 06:40 AM
They will ask for the same stuff they do in the car, license, registration (Insurance in some states)... I keep all of that in my wallet, which is usually in my backpack.

Though I have yet to test this.

If you are pulled over something else to consider. When pulling off onto the shoulder remember thats were rocks and debris from the road way ends up. Careful when you park and where you put your kickstand. (I had one friend who put it down right on a rock and when he got off the bike it fell over...) Don't get off the bike until they tell you too. Also be careful with the traffic around you. They target fixate on cops and their activities. That makes you a target too.

Hopefully you won't need to practice this at all.

TrueFaith
March 19th, 2009, 07:09 AM
:whathesaid:

wallet...laminated my stuffs so's they dont crumble and become dust when i pull them out and the wind hits um...(usually after oh...about 3 full cycle washing machine trips...)

:washing:

Be careful about laminating your registration. Some states don't allow it under any circumstances.
First thing you do when pulled over is to put your kickstand down and get off the bike. That way he knows you're not going to try and take off and he will be in a much better mood. :p
Also, if you are pulled over and carry your paperwork on your person, wait until the officer asks you to produce them. DO NOT reach for your papers as he is approching your bike or he may think you are reaching for a weapon. Cops are very skittish these days for good reason and will draw their gun on you if you reach inside a pocket without being directed to. It's happened to me twice already. Once when I just approched a cop car on foot for directions and happened to have my hands in my pockets because it was a chilly day. It's better to just wait by your bike and do nothing until he directs you to do it.

Apex
March 19th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Why worried about being pulled over? If by chance you do, you should tell the cop, "Man, this is a 250. I'm shocked if I can even get it above the posted speed limit. If I did, there must be a tail wind!"

:D

islanderman7
March 19th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Why worried about being pulled over? If by chance you do, you should tell the cop, "Man, this is a 250. I'm shocked if I can even get it above the posted speed limit. If I did, there must be a tail wind!"

:D

Ehh the new 250 is so sexy LEO's will say "quit BSing me, that looks like a 600.":p

OldGuy
March 19th, 2009, 10:03 AM
:whathesaid:/:whatshesaid: In my wallet is my DL, Insurance, and health insurance card. Under the seat in a zip-lock are copies of DL, Insurance, health insurance card, and the registration.

The advice on how to react is so true today. The only thing I would do on my own is pull over in a safe location, kick-stand down, bike off. I wouldn't even take my helmet of until he/she is there. Put your hands on the tank and listen to your Ninja talk nice to the officer :D

kkim
March 19th, 2009, 10:08 AM
yes, when it is safe, take off your helmet when you talk to the officer that stops you. It makes the exchange much more human for them and who knows, they may let you off. They like to be able to see your eyes, so when pulled over in a car, be sure to take off your sunglasses if you are wearing them.

g21-30
March 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM
yes, when it is safe, take off your helmet when you talk to the officer that stops you. It makes the exchange much more human for them and who knows, they may let you off. They like to be able to see your eyes, so when pulled over in a car, be sure to take off your sunglasses if you are wearing them.

Sounds reasonable! Officer discretion is an option. :D

Viper-Byte
March 19th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I have not been pulled over as yet... Touch wood, LOL.

But a lot of people, even a licence testing officer thought my bike was a 600 by the look and sound of it. Till they saw the L plate I have on the back (must have them when on learners licence here)

Verus Cidere
March 19th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I'd suggest going ahead and turning the bike off. It helps with the whole "I'm not gonna take off on you" thing. Sadly, I have an experience with being pulled over. (DANG IT! Just so you guys know, I'm paying MUCH more attention to posted speed limits on highways now!!) They chill out much more if you just turn off the bike completely. I do agree that you shouldn't reach for anything until told to, and you shouldn't take off your helmet yet either. I would suggest flipping up your visor if you have it down right after you give the information. That way they're right there and can see you're reaching up for that.

TnNinjaGirl
March 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I've never been pulled over on my bike, but in my car i generally stop, roll down the window, turn my car off, keep my hands on the steering wheel and announce whatever I'm about to do. Has worked so far, no tickets.

After speaking to serveral officers they say they appreciate when you tell them what you are doing.

Oh ya, I keep my stuff in a zip-lock under my seat and my copies in my wallet.

DirtyBoy
March 20th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I keep everything in my wallet. When I was pulled over the officer told me over the loudspeaker to turn the bike off and NOT to put down the kickstand. When he walked up to me he took the keys out of the ignition and told me to lift up my visor. After I gave him my license, registration, insurance and concealed carry permit he told me I could take off my helmet.

BlueTyke
March 20th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I know with the two fifty if you have the kickstand down your not going anywhere anyway... :D

Verus Cidere
March 21st, 2009, 12:45 AM
Kinda seems wierd that he would tell you to keep the kickstand up... Doesn't seem like it would keep you from going anywhere.

NewNinja
March 21st, 2009, 01:33 AM
Lol thanks for all the tips guys!

"Why worried about being pulled over? If by chance you do, you should tell the cop, "Man, this is a 250. I'm shocked if I can even get it above the posted speed limit. If I did, there must be a tail wind!"

that got me laughing :D hahahah

Viper-Byte
March 21st, 2009, 02:38 AM
Michael, my guess would be so that it is harder for you to get off and attack them?

Verus Cidere
March 21st, 2009, 01:47 PM
Oh, yeah... I guess that makes sense.

GTsmokeya
March 21st, 2009, 02:04 PM
Whether you choose wallet or zip-lock bag you could also take clear packing tape and tape the insurance card on the bottom of the seat. See my step dad takes my bike sometimes and so I have a card in my wallet but a spare on the seat incase he gets pulled over, and or if I loose my wallet. In IL its a $500 fine for no insurance.

GTsmokeya

NJD022588
March 21st, 2009, 08:38 PM
Where's Cochese? Havent seem him here in a while. He can give a good answer

Rawr
March 25th, 2009, 08:43 PM
been pulled over many times in my car...in fact if i get pulled over again i lose my licenese haha...but i only drive fast in my car so i dont expect to get pulled over on my bike...but i keep my registration in the inside pocket of my jacket....although i will probably have to wait till the cop comes up to me so i can tell him why im reaching inside my jacket...otherwise he may shoot me haha

Kolya1981
March 26th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Hmm, I wonder if it doesn't vary from state to state as far as if you should get off the bike or not. I know in PA in a car you stay in the vehicle the whole time...but I got pulled over in TX and the cop had me get out and stand behind the car the whole time. It might be good to just turn off the bike and keep your hands visible until you get further instructions from the officer?

Verus Cidere
March 26th, 2009, 09:17 PM
It could easily vary from cop to cop also. I'm sure they all have different ways of making themselves feel safe from as many angles as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if there are regulations from state to state, or even city to city, but I would expect it to be more of a personal preference between cops.