View Full Version : Break In + Learning @ same time

miks
March 19th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Hey,

I was wondering if a person who has never touched a motorbike before in their life was to buy one to learn on, how would that person be able to break in their engine. For example, most people when learning how to ride a motorbike for the first time, tend to ride around in car parks, then progressing to empty streets at very slow speeds.

I've read/researched many people/groups saying things such as "the break in is x% complete at x miles/kms", and got this from Mototuneusa - "There's a very small window of opportunity to get the rings to seal really well ... the first 20 miles !!"

So my question to you is how is a non-experienced rider meant to break in their engine when they are trying to learn how to ride a motorbike for the first time when most of the riding at the beginning will probably be at low speeds either in 1st or 2nd gear.

Any hints/tips/help is much appreciated, thanks! :thumbup:

g21-30
March 19th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Since you're in Australia, do you have the equivalent of an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation)? In the US, the MSF provides training, including the use of a motorcycle, helmet, and gloves. You should obtain your license, etc., prior to venturing out on public streets.

In my case, I took the MSF class, got my license and then bought a bike and broke the engine in, while learning. YMMV

Good Luck :thumbup:

Alex
March 19th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Don't stress about break-in. Priority one (through 10) is learning how to ride the bike.

Check out these threads on break-in:
Thread 1 (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10171)
Thread 2 (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14843)

sm0kediver
March 19th, 2009, 12:44 PM
If you go by the Kawasaki owner's manual, they recommend breaking the bike in by keeping RPMs below 4000 for the first 500 miles. That sounds like it should work out perfectly for you. By the time you've done 500 miles in a parking lot, you and the bike will be more than ready for some higher speed training.

Wade
March 19th, 2009, 10:31 PM
In Aus (at least in Sydney) we need to take a H.A.R.T corse which is provided by the RTA to get our licence. Then they can provide other courses but they arent cheep.

miks
March 19th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Yeah we do have courses, but they are very expensive. But when we get our license we have to do a practical test, written test, and a motorcycle computer test. Motorbike riding training usually goes for (people with no experience whatsoever) 2 days, 4.5 hours a day and teaches the basics for riding a motorbike, managing gear etc etc. After that, we have to past the practical test which consist of,

- Operation of controls without looking at them
- Left hand turn (360 degrees) then stopping in a box/marked area
- Right hand turn (720 degrees) then doing an emergency/quick stop in a box/marked area
- Riding 18 metres in a marked area for at least 10 seconds

I don't think these exercises and the 2 day training would be enough for me to build enough confidence to immediately drive on public roads while worrying about varying RPMs and all that other jazz that a break-in consist of.

Alex
March 19th, 2009, 11:35 PM
... while worrying about varying RPMs and all that other jazz that OCD internetters have managed to convince newbies that a break-in consists of.

Fixed. :D

miks
March 19th, 2009, 11:37 PM
So what you're saying Mr. Alex is that a person should not worry so much about 'breaking in' the bike?

kkim
March 19th, 2009, 11:39 PM
not if it's going to interfere with how you ride as a beginner. just ride the bike.

Alex
March 19th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I'm saying the fears of breaking in an engine poorly such that its performance or longetivity are affected in any way are terribly overblown, and would almost require someone actively trying to do so. And in most cases, they'd still be unsuccessful at harming the engine in any way.

Don't redline the engine when it's freezing cold. Don't lug the engine. And don't hold the bike at exactly 7000 rpm and only 7000 rpm (or any other single specific rpm) for the first entire 10 hours of its life on the highway. Which would be particularly hard to do even if one tried.

You'll be fine, and your bike will be fine. Enjoy the ride. :thumbup:

Viper-Byte
March 19th, 2009, 11:50 PM
When I first started, I just rode the bike how I needed. To me learning to ride was more important than breaking her in 'correctly'. Just the basic things that Alex mentioned above and a little care for the bike and you will be fine.

NICUNinja
March 21st, 2009, 06:16 PM
:whathesaid:
I also have a brand new '09, I had never ridden before 2 weeks ago.
I can only say that after the first time out I didn't think I would ever get it into second gear but then in lesson 2, I not only got it into 2nd but up to 5th and 100 km/h. Everyone is different and the break in period was not something that I even thought of because I wasn't figuring on riding the heck out of a new bike. Have you read the manual recommendations regarding breakin period?
As for the MSF course or equivalent, it is going to cost me $430 CAD to take the course (21 hours). We have a graduated licensing system in Canada, the first is a written test $15 CAD, then the course $430 CAD including a riding test then a wait period to gain experience of 18 months before another riding test/course of another $200.
Get on and get some riding experience, that's what I am doing. Have fun and be safe. :)

miks
March 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
Wow, I'm shocked! 21 hour course, and I thought the 2 day (8 hours) was long! And the price... guess its worth it in the end if it teaches you to become a better/safer/more confident rider.

GTsmokeya
March 21st, 2009, 10:03 PM
Lol, I am a bad example when i bought my bike I read online for an hour about what lever did what and which pedal does what. After that I hit parking lots for a bit got the hang of it and the rest is history. My friend who went the safe way with classes and such ended up dropping the bike more than once I have yet to. knock on wood..... So safety first and worry about the rest later.

GTsmokeya