View Full Version : question about fairings

bikermunda
March 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Hi so today my little brother dropped his bike but luckly there is only one little scratch on the left fairing but i was wonering if there is way i can use the wax or something and it will go away or it is not possible ?

can i get a paint touch done from a body shop ?

M-Oorb
March 19th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Well I guess what it really comes down to is how "little" is the scratch? If its fairly small and not too deep, color rite sells the exact color of our bikes and you could probably do it yourself if you know how and save your self some bucks

bikermunda
March 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Well I guess what it really comes down to is how "little" is the scratch? If its fairly small and not too deep, color rite sells the exact color of our bikes and you could probably do it yourself if you know how and save your self some bucks

i have never did it before and the scratch is not big and it is purely surfacial and not deep or anything

color rite ? where can i find it and how do i know the color they sell is the color that will match the red on the bike

kkim
March 19th, 2009, 08:39 PM
can you feel the scratch with your fingernail? Is it down through the colorcoat and showing the black plastic?

do a search on "color rite" using google.

bikermunda
March 19th, 2009, 08:59 PM
can you feel the scratch with your fingernail? Is it down through the colorcoat and showing the black plastic?

do a search on "color rite" using google.

Hey i am posting the picture i think this will help everyone get a better idea of the scratch i am taking about
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5952/dsc00871v.jpg

Alex
March 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Looks like that is well through the clearcoat and the paint, at least the top area that looks dark. But it's so minor, that it probably isn't noticeable from a few feet away either. Tough call. May be able to lessen the scratch with some color touchup on the darker areas, but to fix it so it's truly invisible would likely take a little bit of cash and some attention from a paint shop.

kkim
March 19th, 2009, 09:29 PM
You can use touch up paint to color the black portions back to look the same color as the fairings, but you will not be able to get rid of the scratches in the clear coat short of having it repainted. They look like you can feel them with your fingernail, correct?

Sorry, but this is what happens when you drop plastic onto asphalt.

bikermunda
March 19th, 2009, 09:40 PM
You can use touch up paint to color the black portions back to look the same color as the fairings, but you will not be able to get rid of the scratches in the clear coat short of having it repainted. They look like you can feel them with your fingernail, correct?

Sorry, but this is what happens when you drop plastic onto asphalt.

i dont think to get this think repainted will cost me alot of money i mean around $100 and not more than that because a new fairing is $200 only

bikermunda
March 19th, 2009, 09:41 PM
i will try to get is waxed and buffed that might help because i know someone who has a little issue on the bumper of his car and waxing along with buffing helped the situtation

kkim
March 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM
cool... let us know how it turns out.

Alex
March 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM
i dont think to get this think repainted will cost me alot of money i mean around $100 and not more than that because a new fairing is $200 only

Get some quotes at a paint shop and see. You may very well get lucky and find a place you're happy with that can promise good results for $100, but I'm not totally confident that you will. Painting can sometimes be cheaper than replacement fairings, but often that's because people choose to paint a bunch of fairings at once, and that's very often cheaper than a new set of fairings. Good luck. :thumbup:

CRXTrek
March 20th, 2009, 02:24 AM
http://www.colorrite.com/index.cfm
08 red has two stage paint, base coat clearcoat
09 red has single stage paint, base coat only
I've used their paint with great results:thumbup:

bikermunda
March 20th, 2009, 11:06 AM
http://www.colorrite.com/index.cfm
08 red has two stage paint, base coat clearcoat
09 red has single stage paint, base coat only
I've used their paint with great results:thumbup:

thanks for you update and i was wondering if i have to order online or i can find it in a store

Cali619
March 20th, 2009, 02:06 PM
that doesnt look to bad , Im sure you will be able to do it yourself after shopping around, plus also have stuff left over in case something else minor occurs.

bikermunda
March 20th, 2009, 03:13 PM
that doesnt look to bad , Im sure you will be able to do it yourself after shopping around, plus also have stuff left over in case something else minor occurs.

yeah i know it is minor but i dont like scratches on my bike or car :)

so i think i will do the touch up but i need to do some read through to make sure i dont screw it up :)