View Full Version : Tracking the Ninja 300

Surferboy120
October 21st, 2013, 09:06 PM
Well I got the bug. I went to the track after 17 years and had a hell of a time. So what does one do? Go again and again...... and now I have turned my bike into a track only bike. Well let me correct that by saying I am in the process of it.

So with that said I have done the following thus far.
Area P Full Exhaust and tune
Vortex rearsets GP shift
Catalyst Racing fairings (still need to painted lol)
K&N Pod filter
Stripped the bike of most everything not needed.
Diablo Roso IIs

Below has been purchased but needs to be installed.
JRI Triple Adjustable MC/10 rear shock
AK20 cartridges for front forks (OnRoad OffRoad Cycles is doing the install)
detent shift kit
ceramic head bearings
woodcraft clipons

Have any of you run the AK20 cartridges? They are big with the 250s in TX I know but don't hear much with the 300 on the forums although I have no doubt they will be incredible for the 300 as well.

Also I don't hear many guys using the JRI setup but also a solid track shock as well.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles is helping get everything dialed in and ensure all the geometries are right for my size.

I am working to get my license to race so it will be awhile before that happens but I have been tracking monthly and hope to get into level 3 in a few more events and then start working to get my license.

Just got done with a bunch of installs!

dino74
October 21st, 2013, 09:19 PM
Just check the rules of where you are planning on racing. Some classes require the stock damper rod to be used. Mostly to keep the cost down on the forks.

Checkout
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=762556

Surferboy120
October 21st, 2013, 09:41 PM
Just check the rules of where you are planning on racing. Some classes require the stock damper rod to be used. Mostly to keep the cost down on the forks.

Checkout
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=762556

So far so good on the rules around here. A lot of the guys run this setup on the 250s but not many as of yet with the 300. Thanks for the link I did read your thread in regards which got me interested in cartridges. After some reading I realized I didn't know enough yet to correctly setup my bike and that's how I got in touch with OnRoad OffRoad Cycles. Maybe in the future I will know enough to do more as I am normally into doing the DIY thing. For right now I want to learn suspension tuning and yet still keep racing to get my rider mod up to speed as quickly as possible.

Thanks again for providing your feedback on your setup. Cartridges just make the most sense for the track if you are going to be doing it much. They may be overkill for the street unless your a cali guy and have awesome runs like you do....yes I am envious I am in flat TX....

Surferboy120
October 21st, 2013, 09:48 PM
Also if anyone wants a good read on rear shock adjustments the below link is an excellent white page on the JRI Triple Adjustable MC/10 rear shock
shock but seems very applicable to shock setup in general. Anyway I hope this helps some that may be interested.

http://www.jrishocks.com/assets/JRi%20Shocks%20Motorcycle%20Manual.pdf

dino74
October 22nd, 2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks again for providing your feedback on your setup. Cartridges just make the most sense for the track if you are going to be doing it much.

If you're good with your hands, its worth it to get to know your forks. When you start racing, you start crashing too. I've had bent forks, seal leak, etc. It really helps if you can do the work yourself.

Surferboy120
October 22nd, 2013, 10:44 AM
If you're good with your hands, its worth it to get to know your forks. When you start racing, you start crashing too. I've had bent forks, seal leak, etc. It really helps if you can do the work yourself.

I agree and have in past times. I am having the cartridges built for me but I will be installing them and the rear shock then I will be working with them to dial everything in through next year. Time is short for me now days and I really want to learn at a fast pace. I am working with the pros to get the knowledge the easier way rather than trial by fire. At least I hope that's the case lol.

JohnnyBravo
October 23rd, 2013, 05:55 AM
I wish there was a track close by with monthly track days

Surferboy120
October 23rd, 2013, 06:35 AM
I wish there was a track close by with monthly track days

Tracks days really are a saving grace to a rider. I think all riders should attend a few track days with instruction. You will gain more experience from that than from years of riding on the street. We have guys that travel 6 hours to make our events. Its well worth it.

JohnnyBravo
October 23rd, 2013, 09:02 AM
I know that's right... I'm lookin forward to track days, it's a bit cold for all that up here these days though

Dmj_88
October 23rd, 2013, 01:07 PM
I have a ninja 250 with the AK-20s and it's AWESOME. (and for sale since I got a 300) the 300 is basically the same forks so it would be a direct swap if you wanted... but I'm going to try a different route since I won't be racing in CMRA (which does allow the AK-20s) with my 300.

Surferboy120
October 24th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I have a ninja 250 with the AK-20s and it's AWESOME. (and for sale since I got a 300) the 300 is basically the same forks so it would be a direct swap if you wanted... but I'm going to try a different route since I won't be racing in CMRA (which does allow the AK-20s) with my 300.

Yes I want to race cmra as well. I can't wait to get mine on the bike I have heard good things from the 250 guys here. Good luck with the 300 I really like mine.

Surferboy120
October 27th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Worked all day today to get my fairings painted so I hope to have it together in the next coming weeks. I updated the first post with a pic from Eagle Canyon Raceway from a fun track day they had. I hope to be ready for their Nov session to do their class 2 event.

Surferboy120
November 10th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Bike is back together with all my new mods minus the detent kit but will get that done after my next event.

Question......

I am not impressed with how the woodcraft clipons fit on the bike. The bars are forced to be wide and to me I want more of a inward bar stance to keep myself tight and elbows in. I was thinking of grinding the triple to allow the bar to come in more since the bolt holes on the triple seem to be the issue.

Surferboy120
November 10th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Here is the whole view

Loadthis
November 10th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Bike is back together with all my new mods minus the detent kit but will get that done after my next event.

Question......

I am not impressed with how the woodcraft clipons fit on the bike. The bars are forced to be wide and to me I want more of a inward bar stance to keep myself tight and elbows in. I was thinking of grinding the triple to allow the bar to come in more since the bolt holes on the triple seem to be the issue.
I did just that and it made a huge difference. I just took a file to the bumps where the triple clamp bolt would exit. I filed it to where i was just starting to hit the bolt threads.
http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt27/evanloadsthat/4ece4d73fcc3a4d6a836108c5c391341_zps3eb6449b.jpg

Loadthis
November 10th, 2013, 10:15 AM
And the full view
http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt27/evanloadsthat/8a3b56fa677cb4f1c358ff5ab1ae4983_zpsc0f865e0.jpg

Surferboy120
November 10th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Great idea I just grinder mine and the angle is now perfect. I think this is a must do to get the correct angle going.

JohnnyBravo
November 10th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Looks a lot better after grinding :thumbup:

Loadthis
November 10th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Yeah looks great! Have you taken it for a spin yet? I loved the more aggressive feel right off the bat.

Surferboy120
November 10th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Yeah looks great! Have you taken it for a spin yet? I loved the more aggressive feel right off the bat.

I just did around the block and the angle is perfect compared to the way it was before grinding it. Way way better....

Somchai
November 10th, 2013, 07:03 PM
idk but maybe this spacer kit from the 2-fiddy also is an easy way to go http://www.aftermarketcycles.com/ninja-250r-clip-on-spacer-kit.html#

Surferboy120
November 10th, 2013, 08:12 PM
idk but maybe this spacer kit from the 2-fiddy also is an easy way to go http://www.aftermarketcycles.com/ninja-250r-clip-on-spacer-kit.html#

Oh yes that would work for more angle for sure. Thank you for sharing the link in case I want more angle later. So far the bars feel perfect to me.

Surferboy120
November 19th, 2013, 09:48 AM
I had an excellent two day weekend at Cresson.

Loadthis
November 20th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Great pic an looks like fun. I need to get back out to napa speedway in Albuquerque for a track day soon.

geeker
November 20th, 2013, 06:41 PM
I had an excellent two day weekend at Cresson.

I thought I recognized this bike! I was in level 1 on Saturday. I think you were in level 2 with LJ.

Surferboy120
December 2nd, 2013, 04:02 PM
I thought I recognized this bike! I was in level 1 on Saturday. I think you were in level 2 with LJ.

Yes that's me what's going on! Hope to see you out there next event.

Jred
December 20th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Check the 2014 Cmra rules. You will be in violation if you plan on racing a 300 with ceramic head bearings.

Surferboy120
December 30th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Check the 2014 Cmra rules. You will be in violation if you plan on racing a 300 with ceramic head bearings.

Thanks I haven't installed them yet so I will check it out. Thanks again for the heads up.