View Full Version : Riding 2-Up for the First Time... tips?

muffinman
March 20th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Taking the lady friend for a ride... in the process of getting the rest of her gear - thought I'd start the prep a little early.

My bike came from the dealership with the pre-load set at 1 (lowest) and 32 psi front tires / 36 psi rear tires (stock Dunlops) :eek: Seemed a little high, I dropped it down to 28F/32R

My girl weighs 100-105lb, and I weigh 145-150lb... is it necessary to add more tire pressure or bump up the preload to 2 or 3? No other luggage and I'm not going canyon carving.

Also... any other general tips besides STAY STILL and LEAN WITH ME? :thumbup:

Thanks in advance.

kkim
March 20th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I'd bump the preload up to at least 2 or 3.

Buffalony
March 20th, 2009, 06:15 AM
You might even like 2. I also weigh around that and prefer 2. Theres a chart for this somewhere in the manual.might wanna look it over to give you a good starting point. give it a try.

Other than that..keep it simple for her by letting her know that you both have to follow the curve of the road.

Keeping in mind when explaining it might not feel normal to newer passengers.

CupcakeNinja
March 20th, 2009, 08:42 AM
If she's never been on the back of any bike before, you should probably show her the best place to hold on, lean w the bike, etc. Oh, and dont forget to remind her not to fall asleep.

komohana
March 20th, 2009, 09:03 AM
good advise for passenger so far. how about yourself? don't know your riding experience, but if you haven't packed someone before, be prepared for a different experience. make sure you've got both feet on the ground, hands on the bars and some brake before having her climb aboard. might wanna suggest how she does this. (stepping on the left peg for example to help her over, up and settled in). i also have the bike started before passenger mount to avoid having my grip and balance compromised during start. i let my passenger know before hand that i'll tap their leg if or something to that effect before accelerating to pass etc. every movement she makes you'll feel. from a head turn to shifting around for comfort, be prepared for inputs you don't normally feel riding solo. make her riding experience a good one. i had a buddy who took a cousin of mine for a ride. some time later i took her riding and she was so scared shitless from her first sport bike ride she almost had us off the road in the first corner. another buddy who owned a new 1200cc harley unexpectedly took on a passenger during a bike run. he was so put off and freaked out by this that he took off his rear seat, never wanting to have anyone else on the bike.

umm...remind her to breathe, relax and look around, or she'll be looking at the back of yer head all day! i usually have my passenger lean w/me by holding on to me. tell them to keep our bodies together and we'll be fine.

have fun, make it home safely, and make sure you're attentive to yer passenger.

Sound Wave
March 20th, 2009, 09:37 AM
don't accelerate quickly, don't turn as aggressively, plan your stops sooner than you would due to the extra weight.

wife and i sometimes bang helmets. i asked my friend how to remedy this. he said that what he does is that he wears a backpack. it provides a bit of space between him and his wife. then i think he said that his wife just grabs between the backpack and his back... wife and i were supposed to try this out tomorrow, but she is coming down with a cold or something. gotta wait and see how she is feeling.

don't go on the freeway on the first time. start off simple to get the hang of the different handling. also, it can be really scary for the passenger to be going so fast on their first time on the bike (ask me how i know that part. LOL)

islanderman7
March 20th, 2009, 12:18 PM
It's best to ride first with a passenger that has experienced on riding a bike because they are familiar with leaning.

Establish some hand signals prior to riding. One tap on the RIGHT shoulder means stop or pull over when you get a chance. Two taps please slow down. Three taps, Pull over now I am scared. Thumps up, I like it, lets keep riding.There are probably other ideas, but be creative and make sure you and your passenger know the signals.

Do a couple of short runs to see how you and her like it before doing a long ride.

ajaygraci
March 20th, 2009, 01:01 PM
lol... is it hard keeping bike steady with a passenger on ? im only like 140ish pounds... 5'4... gunna be hard to carry a normal sized girl ?? ( bigger then me =[ lol )

komohana
March 20th, 2009, 01:05 PM
lol... is it hard keeping bike steady with a passenger on ? im only like 140ish pounds... 5'4... gunna be hard to carry a normal sized girl ?? ( bigger then me =[ lol )

nah....it's more like iffn ya ain't done it before here's what to expect sorta thing thats all...

now....if she's riding on your shoulders?...be EXTRA careful k? :D

kkim
March 20th, 2009, 01:53 PM
now....if she's riding on your shoulders?...be EXTRA careful k? :Dwouldn't that make it difficult for you to see the road??? :confused:

...oh, sorry... never mind, you mean the other way! :D

toku
March 20th, 2009, 03:14 PM
My girl never even got close to a bike before she got on the back of mine. In all honesty she'll be more intimidated than you will be.

The most essential thing you need to work out is a system of communication.
My girl and I figured out a few simple things via taps. For example a tap on the shoulder means that she's uncomfortable/needs to change around the way she sits. Two taps means she thinks I'm going to fast and she's scared/nervous.
There are other signals you can work out just remember to keep them simple.

For the passenger the most important thing you can stress is that she stays calm and relaxed. Being on a motorcycle is not the same as being in a car. 50 MPH feels a lot faster on a bike then in a car at first. When going through turns you want your passengers head to be to the inside of the turn, looking over your shoulder, not only does that help them see what's coming ahead but it also takes some of the surprise out when the bike starts to lean. Also make sure that your passenger holds on tightly but not so tight that you can't breathe.

As for you the operator, the most important thing to remember is that someone else is putting their life in your hands. With two people on the bike it's like riding a whole different beast. Your center of gravity is going to be considerably higher, this will affect your handling. Also keep in mind that with two people on the bike you won't be able to accelerate as fast and that you'll need more space to stop. Plan your stops in advance and if your passenger slides forward have them slide back when you're stopped. It's no fun having your goods mashed into the tank. At low speeds is when the passenger truly becomes most cumbersome be prepared to use more muscle strength to hold the bike steady before speeds pick up. Other than that just take it easy and enjoy, it's a blast being able to share something you love with someone you love.

Alex
March 20th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Two taps means she thinks I'm going to fast and she's scared/nervous.

The universal signal for that is kidney punches. You don't even have to work it out ahead of time, you'll quickly realize exactly what she wants as she pummels you. :D

johns_d
March 20th, 2009, 08:49 PM
me, being the genius that i am, decided that i would stop the nagging by letting my sister ride with me to a family get-together.
1. it had rained the day before.
2. 35 mile trip
3. 3 mountains and 3 ridges
4. she weighs 120 and i weigh 230
and not a single problem the entire trip. preset at 1, normal tire pressure.
it was dumb and the bike felt a little underpowered but no big deal.
i have since gotten a rear seat cowl and im getting an exhaust bracket when i buy an area p

kkim
March 20th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I'm surprised you could see the road with all those red flags waving in your face.

You were lucky. :)

johns_d
March 20th, 2009, 09:05 PM
me too. i made her ride home with mom and dad. wasn't gonna try that anymore

NICUNinja
March 21st, 2009, 03:34 AM
Having ridden on the back of my own 250, you may also want to consider the fact that the seat on the back may look like a seat but it actually feels like a piece of wood. Not comfortable at all, short trips...:)

johns_d
March 21st, 2009, 06:18 AM
if she decides she wants to ride again, im gonna tell her she cant use a seat at all! HEY SAMANTHA! SAVE SOME MONEY AND GET YOUR OWN BIKE!!!

Sound Wave
March 21st, 2009, 11:45 AM
Having ridden on the back of my own 250, you may also want to consider the fact that the seat on the back may look like a seat but it actually feels like a piece of wood. Not comfortable at all, short trips...:)

good point, if you plan on going 2-up often, you might want to invest in a corbin seat for her. the wife likes that it has more surface area. she never used the word "softer", but she does like it better than the stock one.

Syphen
March 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
You don't want your passenger to lean with you. You want her to stay in perfect line with the motorcycle. If the motorcycle leans, she stays in a straight line with the bike. Get her to look over whatever shoulder in the direction of the corner. If you are making a left, tell her to look over left shoulder. Get her to keep her hands resting of your hips or to put her hands on the tank, whichever is more comfortable. Don't let her bear hug you.. it will only limit your mobility and hinder you.

Thats my experience.

Sorry to generalize and call the passenger a her. It could be a guy too.

Buffalony
March 22nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
theres also a few different lower torso belts with handles attached on the web if that would be your kinda thing

muffinman
March 22nd, 2009, 11:39 PM
Thank you guys - please keep them coming.

I know it doesn't equate to much but I've been riding the past couple weeks with a *loaded* backpack. I'm hoping this will ease the adjustment process

Buffalony
March 23rd, 2009, 12:05 AM
Weight inside a backpack has no brains.:rolleyes:

Some one loading up a back pack with 150lbs of weight would also be brainless. So don't attempt to create a 10 step program for yourself out of this. :D

Try one like this:
Get a rider on the back with you and ride around a local parking lot until comfortable.
Then another day take it to the streets, like around the block a few times.
Next, do a small trip, like to a burger joint and back.
Plan something further next.
Soon having a pass. will become second nature. If it's the passenger you plan to ride with the most and he/she isn't experienced, then they will most likely benefit by learning something from this too.

Ohh I'm thinking you might want that shock on 3 for your two up situation. Any one else can agree or disagree, but this is where I'd have it for your senario. Like I said I'm around the same weight and I keep it at 2 while 1UP

muffinman
March 23rd, 2009, 12:17 AM
Weight inside a backpack has no brains.:rolleyes:

Some one loading up a back pack with 150lbs of weight would also be brainless. So don't attempt to create a 10 step program for yourself out of this. :D

Try one like this:
Get a rider on the back with you and ride around a local parking lot until comfortable.
Then another day take it to the streets, like around the block a few times.
Next, do a small trip, like to a burger joint and back.
Plan something further next.
Soon having a pass. will become second nature. If it's the passenger you plan to ride with the most and he/she isn't experienced, then they will most likely benefit by learning something from this too.

Ohh I'm thinking you might want that shock on 3 for your two up situation. Any one else can agree or disagree, but this is where I'd have it for your senario. Like I said I'm around the same weight and I keep it at 2 while 1UP

Thanks - haha, it's not as if I'm loading up the backpack with bricks... just filled with textbooks + laptop for class :thumbup:

Don't really plan on doing any aggressive riding... just a nice easy, cruise to and from campus. Good looking out on the parking lot idea though.. that's what we're going to do first.

muffinman
March 23rd, 2009, 12:18 AM
theres also a few different lower torso belts with handles attached on the web if that would be your kinda thing

Unnecessary. In an effort to stay warm over the winter, I developed a nice set of love handles.

kkim
March 23rd, 2009, 12:31 AM
In an effort to stay warm over the winter, I developed a nice set of love handles. lol... I seem to have mine all year round... and it's not even cold here. :lol:

Buffalony
March 23rd, 2009, 12:32 AM
lol... I seem to have mine all year round... and it's not even cold here. :lol:

From Sitting on that bike too much....:D

inbox526
March 24th, 2009, 01:00 AM
So, I've been wondering.. how exactly does the passenger even get on? I can't for the life of me, imagine how its supposed to happen.

Sound Wave
March 24th, 2009, 01:04 AM
So, I've been wondering.. how exactly does the passenger even get on? I can't for the life of me, imagine how its supposed to happen.

board from the left side. either just kick the right leg over the seat. or step on left peg with left foot and raise right leg over the seat.

it is easier if they are able to do the first way since you arent trying to brace the bike with their weight balancing on one side of the bike.

make sure you have the hand brake on and you have a good firm stance.

Sound Wave
March 24th, 2009, 01:17 AM
wife and i sometimes bang helmets. i asked my friend how to remedy this. he said that what he does is that he wears a backpack. it provides a bit of space between him and his wife. then i think he said that his wife just grabs between the backpack and his back... wife and i were supposed to try this out tomorrow, but she is coming down with a cold or something. gotta wait and see how she is feeling.

oh yeah, this worked GREAT!!! i wore my icon backpack and my wife somehow stuck her arm between the bag and my back. not sure exactly what she did. she was really comfortable. she felt secure. it pushed her back a little, so she was able to straighten her knees a bit more (she has had both knees replaced so this was a bit plus). also, we didn't bang heads once.

before i would have to jut my head forward and she would try to arch her back just so that we wouldn't bang helmets. we both had sore necks.

kkim
March 24th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Gary,

Glad to hear you found a solution so you and your wife can go riding comfortably. :thumbup:

Purspeed
March 24th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Your friend is the boss, but you are in charge. Explain this to your friend.

Your friend should not try to control the bike in any way. You should ride in a manner that makes the experience enjoyable and fun.

Your friend should have all of the gear that you have (ATGATT rule).

:)

CC Cowboy
March 26th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Put her on the front and you hold on to her. You won't even have to leave the garage.