View Full Version : Rubber on rubber?

tmf1423
October 23rd, 2013, 02:48 AM
Hi all, wondering if anyone can help me.

The other day, my pillion managed to knock off my left rear indicator when not climbing off properly. It's now attached by just the wire, as the rubber has split
I've temporarily kept it upright by plenty of sellotape, but for a long term fix, is there any way to reattach it without buying a new one?
I have the Kawasaki official mini indicators.. and they're about £87 ($140) JUST for the rear set! Basically I want to know if there is any good way of reattaching rubber to rubber. Thought abuot superglue, but I don't know if it would work or not. is there any known way to do this?

Wasn't sure whether to put this in tech talk or farkles,
thanks in advance

cuong-nutz
October 23rd, 2013, 03:59 AM
Hi all, wondering if anyone can help me.

The other day, my pillion managed to knock off my left rear indicator when not climbing off properly. It's now attached by just the wire, as the rubber has split
I've temporarily kept it upright by plenty of sellotape, but for a long term fix, is there any way to reattach it without buying a new one?
I have the Kawasaki official mini indicators.. and they're about £87 ($140) JUST for the rear set! Basically I want to know if there is any good way of reattaching rubber to rubber. Thought abuot superglue, but I don't know if it would work or not. is there any known way to do this?

Wasn't sure whether to put this in tech talk or farkles,
thanks in advance

I would suggest replacing them altogether. Ebay has some cheap aftermarket replacements with LEDs and incandescent bulbs. Nothing would adhere to rubber and evens so, it would just break off again.

tmf1423
October 23rd, 2013, 05:07 AM
Okay cheers, it's annoying that it's so much for the rear set. May just replace them with non-kawasaki ones, but that means buying ones for the front aswell.. Ahh well.

thanks!

Motofool
October 23rd, 2013, 08:01 AM
..........The other day, my pillion managed to knock off my left rear indicator when not climbing off properly.............Basically I want to know if there is any good way of reattaching rubber to rubber................

Are you sure it is rubber?
It seems that it maybe plastic if you could brake it so easily.

A picture would help us.

For repairing something similar of any material, I would fabricate some internal reinforcement to increase the surface of contact and the strength.

Although it is aggressive to some materials (like Styrofoam), Epoxy adheres to almost anything and is water proof.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoxy#Adhesives

tmf1423
October 24th, 2013, 05:02 AM
I felt like rubber but I didn't check in detail, I wil check again tonight, it may well be plastic. Ill put a pic up too later if I think it'll help