View Full Version : Swirls in car

M-Oorb
March 20th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Hey guys whats up. So this weekend I picked up a new car...well not new but new for me. Its a 2006 red bmw 330 convertible 6 speed with...get this...2152 miles!! I freakin love it its got the ZHP package so its basically an M3 without the engine...rims,steering wheel, seats, suspension...I love it. But even though its got 2152 miles on it the metal has small swirl scratches in it everyyywhere. Im guessing this person didn't know how to wash a car. So anyways...I was wondering what are some good products to remove this and really make this car look new. I don't have a buffer but would be willing to pick one up if I had to. Thanks in advanced :thumbup:

sharky nrk
March 20th, 2009, 06:32 PM
i take out swirls with my PC and Sonus products - go to autopia forums and all your answers will be found

kkim
March 20th, 2009, 06:46 PM
the "metal" has scratches? you mean the painted areas?

M-Oorb
March 20th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Yea yea the painted areas ...sorry for the confusion

kkim
March 20th, 2009, 09:14 PM
yep, follow SN's advice and get an orbital polisher and use products designed to get scratches and swirls out. by the time you're done, the surface should look like a red mirror. Main ingredient will be elbow grease. :thumbup:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SPe9dn3NpjI/AAAAAAAABWU/jFnM9ajAxAQ/s640/Picture%20008.jpg

grandmaster
March 21st, 2009, 01:38 AM
Careful if you are using a buffer though, it can burn right through paint.

kkim
March 21st, 2009, 02:07 AM
not with a random orbital buffer. You would need to do something really stupid to eat through the paint.

miks
March 21st, 2009, 02:55 AM
Kelly, is that your car and is it a NSX by any chance?

sharky nrk
March 21st, 2009, 03:58 AM
not with a random orbital buffer. You would need to do something really stupid to eat through the paint.

the man speaks the truth - I have heavily worked a 4in pad with an aggressive compound and while it did its job it still only removed a few microns of clear (how you get rid of scratches and swirls) - its really hard to F up with a PC (orbital). A rotary on the other hand can and will decimate paint in a chumps hand

I will look for some pics of corrections I have made using safe products

here is an old pic of my WRX after her yearly correction detail
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/sharkynrk/WRX/DSCF1445ps.jpg

shine like that doesn't come without effort :D

miks
March 21st, 2009, 04:12 AM
Shiney tyres to match!

M-Oorb
March 21st, 2009, 06:09 AM
Thanks guys. Ill browse the internet today and see what I find.
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
March 21st, 2009, 10:09 AM
Kelly, is that your car and is it a NSX by any chance?

yep... was. sold it a few years ago.

more pics here if you're interested.
http://picasaweb.google.com/kkim993/Cars#

grandmaster
March 21st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Oops sorry, i wasn't thinking of a buffer....I was thinking of what we used in autobody. Those make paint look new in milliseconds but you need to be exremely careful

kkim
March 21st, 2009, 12:46 PM
Oops sorry, i wasn't thinking of a buffer....I was thinking of what we used in autobody. Those make paint look new in milliseconds but you need to be exremely careful

yeah, we used to use those constant speed sanders with a wool bonnet on them in the shop I worked on. I was forever burning through the paint on the edges. :( boss use to be so pissed. :rant:

the random orbital polishers are nothing like those. I have a Porter-Cable and it's the best investment I made for upkeeping cars. :thumbup:

Sound Wave
March 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM
my friend used the zaino line on his black 350z. i swear, his paint was like glass. the finish was perfect.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

kkim
March 21st, 2009, 04:46 PM
I've tried zaino.. hated it. very difficult to work with, but does give nice results. for less work, money and results there are other products that are just as good, IMHO.

Sound Wave
March 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM
i have never used zaino. it is just that people on www.my350z.com were using it with great results and my friend's car was amazing.

M-Oorb
March 22nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Just curious... What products have you used? Anything where I don't need to buy a buffer :) or is that my best option...they just seem a little expensive but if it's what I gotta do it's what I gotta do
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
March 22nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
how bad are the swirls?

I would recommend a buffer... even a cheap one. I've used a $20 buffer from Walmart and have had great results. Just keep the receipt as they so have a tendency to burn out, but Walmart will gladly take it back and give you another. I went through at least 3 or 4 buffers that way. :D

I use terry cloth bonnets instead of the wool stuff so I can reuse the bonnets after throwing them in the wash.

You'll have to clay, compound, polish and then wax to get rid of all the swirls.

as sharky nrk said, go to the autopia forums (http://www.autopia.org/forum/index.php) if you really want to learn how to detail your car. Elbow grease is the main ingredient. If you don't want to expend the energy, you'll either have to live with the swirls of pay someone to work them out. $$$

If you decide to learn how, I'd practice on a cheapy vehicle first. Some old truck or something. :D The truck will love you for it. Practice and experience will give you the perfect shine. :thumbup:

miks
March 22nd, 2009, 10:39 PM
Wow Mr. Kelly, never thought of you to be a car man. I guess anything with an engine and wheels interest you.

Loving the Type R, but have a weak spot for the old NSX's. So out of all of them, which one would be your favourite and what car do you drive now?

kkim
March 23rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
I'd have to say it's a toss up between the Type R and the Porsche. The NSX was a lot different than I thought it would be and was actually a hooligan compared to the Porsche. All these cars were selected for their handling capabilities and I must say I was not disappointed in any of them. :thumbup: Save up and buy yourself an NSX someday, if that's your dream. I can heartily recommend it. :)

I presently have a 07 Honda Civic Si sedan, which I will be selling this week and a 07 Honda Fit, which is my daily driver, which I will be selling shortly, also. Have an 09 Fit on order.

The 250R has become the new toy of choice and can easily handle as well as the best of any of the cars I've owned. I'm having a lot of fun with it and it is more than capable to give me the fix I need. :dance:

M-Oorb
March 24th, 2009, 04:17 PM
The swirls arent horrible but on a car with such low miles...and since its new for me...i want it to look beautiful. I'll pick one up and try it on my 99 honda civic...its my first car and I just couldn't give it up since its still running sooo good with 196,xxx miles on it. Your right...after a nice buff it will love me :D

kkim
March 24th, 2009, 05:14 PM
lemme know if you need some help picking out products to use. :)

M-Oorb
March 25th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I like the walmart idea. Checked their website though and I don't see any buffers :(
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
March 25th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I just went to a local Walmart store. Be sure to get one at a store close by so you can return it when you burn it out and get another one.

keep your receipt. :)

M-Oorb
March 26th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Now I hope that its cheaper cause it will burn out and not cause it does an inferior job...is this correct? If it doesn't do as well as a job I'd rather invest in a better quality piece. But if its just cause it'll burn out ill take advantage of their return policy ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
March 26th, 2009, 11:02 AM
yeah, it's cheaper cause the motor can't take the high load for very long before it fries.

I've gotten excellent results with it. In fact, I like it more than my PC in that it used a bigger bonnet and you could do more of the car, quicker.

when done, you'll have spent about $100 for the buffer, bonnets and chemicals, but the car will sparkle.

pics of the paint on the BMW?

M-Oorb
March 26th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Car is unfortunatly at home as for the rest of this year I'm using my civic at school. The people here are crazy in parking lots with their doors. 100 sounds like a great deal. In about a month when I get home ill post some pics and ask for some advice on products. Thanks a lot guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
March 26th, 2009, 11:47 AM
so, work on the civic while at school to get some experience and become familiar with the products/process. :)

you can do this w/o a buffer, but you will be tired from compounding and polishing, I guaranty you. :D

I used to do all my cars by hand before I learned how to use a buffer properly.... now there is no way I'll do a car by hand, ever again!

M-Oorb
March 30th, 2009, 09:43 PM
No time at school unfortunately. Between classes, work, and this website I don't have time for much of anything :/