View Full Version : How many miles did your 300 rear tire last?

allanoue
October 26th, 2013, 07:49 AM
How many miles did your rear tire last?

I was down to the belt at 8,380 miles

$290 to replace the stock roadwinners by the dealer.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-KNlFpze6gTg/Ummx6EcPNRI/AAAAAAAAAsg/pDYLEOHzXgE/w346-h260/IMG_20131024_193123.jpg

rojoracing53
October 26th, 2013, 08:41 AM
I grabbed jiggle tire with about 300 miles on it and mounted it up to my 250. 7300 miles later I now have cords showing so now it's time to change it with another 300 rear tire I got from another forum member with around 1000 miles on it. That price seems way way to high by any standard:confused: what are they charging you for just the tire?

See if any of your local members swapped out to the rossos II's early and would be willing to sell you their takeoffs cheap.

LNasty
October 26th, 2013, 08:42 AM
How many miles did your rear tire last?

I was down to the belt at 8,380 miles

$290 to replace the stock roadwinners by the dealer.

You can get the stock (which blow) online for about $130

rojoracing53
October 26th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Just saw it was 290 for the set so that's not bad if your rolling you bike into the shop and they do everything and give it back ready to go. But I'd recommended getting a radial front tire on the bike since it's time to change. It will give your better stability just about everywhere and maybe a little extra grip you'd probably never feel besides and emergency spot. The wear would be a bit fast but it would fall in line with your new roadwinner rear tire so they'd both be ready to change at the same time.

CycleCam303 likes his rosso II front tire while I prefer the Michelin power one 120/70 front tire.

allanoue
October 26th, 2013, 08:48 AM
You can get the stock (which blow) online for about $130

I think if I did a bit of shopping I could have gotten it for 120 but I was not riding until it was replaced. They had it in stock so I only missed riding yesterday.

allanoue
October 26th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Just saw it was 290 for the set so that's not bad if your rolling you bike into the shop and they do everything and give it back ready to go. But I'd recommended getting a radial front tire on the bike since it's time to change. It will give your better stability just about everywhere and maybe a little extra grip you'd probably never feel besides and emergency spot. The wear would be a bit fast but it would fall in line with your new roadwinner rear tire so they'd both be ready to change at the same time.

CycleCam303 likes his rosso II front tire while I prefer the Michelin power one 120/70 front tire.
290 was for just the rear
I have seen your posts about mixing, but I do not think I need the grip you and cam require :p The stock front is already on order. My front is in ok shape but I am getting a bit of a shimmy so am replacing it. I can not remember how much they said it was going to cost, I think the total was going to be around 450

rojoracing53
October 26th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Holy **** for 450 I'd have adjust your valves as well :eek:

allanoue
October 26th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Holy **** for 450 I'd have adjust your valves as well :eek:

google maps said I can be there in 41 hours with current traffic, but that does not count stopping for gas and whatnot.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTviPRZlK-ZRDBDtLYLJBZRhlWuqdnv9d2z4jMGJPR2_un2s3iToA

ninjamunky85
October 26th, 2013, 10:52 AM

:eek: Dude, you got ripped off! I would stay as far away from that place as I could. And why would you replace the tire with another Roadwinner? I can't wait till my rear tire wears out so I can replace it with something better.

For the price you paid you could have gotten a set of some good tires. :confused:

Sirref
October 26th, 2013, 11:43 AM
from the looks of it I'm about halfway done with my rear tire at 2500 miles. that said 290 for a rear tire? run, run far away to a new shop.

adouglas
October 26th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Bought my Ninjette with 1200 miles on it.

Sold it with 14,500 or something like that.

Original tire, plenty of tread left on the OEM Dunlops... didn't baby it, either.

I have no freakin' clue how people manage to go through tires so fast.

This is my 08 just before I sold it.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a115/adouglas2001/Ninjapics/IMG_2911_zps629e4244.jpg

bdavison
October 26th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Original tire, plenty of tread left on the OEM Dunlops... didn't baby it, either.

Um, yes you did...because I ride mine like I stole it, and the stock rear didnt last past 3500 miles before it was done. Had I tracked it, they'd have been gone in 500 miles.
You must have never tach'd it out to get that kind of mileage.

I'm on my 4th rear and 3rd front with 26,000 miles on my 250, and the front is about done on this one.

adouglas
October 26th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Um, yes you did...because I ride mine like I stole it, and the stock rear didnt last past 3500 miles before it was done. Had I tracked it, they'd have been gone in 500 miles.
You must have never tach'd it out to get that kind of mileage.

I'm on my 4th rear and 3rd front with 26,000 miles on my 250, and the front is about done on this one.

Did too! :p

Alex
October 26th, 2013, 01:52 PM
This is the 300 section, folks. Carry on...

vman1313
October 26th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Alex - HAHAHA!! :D

My 300 has 6,500 miles on the original IRC's, including one track day. The back tire is ready for a change but not to the point that any steel is showing.

Back to browsing the web looking for a good deal on some tires.

adouglas
October 26th, 2013, 06:20 PM
This is the 300 section, folks. Carry on...

What's an extra 50cc among friends? :D

choneofakind
October 26th, 2013, 07:50 PM

Get out your ruler, we're measuring. :D

allanoue
October 26th, 2013, 08:03 PM

For me about 2700 miles less with the extra CCs

CycleCam303
October 27th, 2013, 08:10 AM

I shredded my rear Rosso II's in almost 2800 miles. 2009 hard as rocks Pirelli diablos? I took those out in 3500 and 4200 miles. That's general use street riding too. The tires all have serious cupping issues. It's the constant braking of street riding that wears them out so fast. Those old crusty diablos never slipped under power. So it can't be fearsome acceleration that's killing them.

Al a decent front makes the bike have a much more confident feel about it. I was way happier with just a bt45 up front and rear. That squirmy vague feel really goes away with a good racing profile radial front tire.

CycleCam303
October 27th, 2013, 08:18 AM
My current diablo rear

Didnt see a track. And apparently I like lefts lol

choneofakind
October 27th, 2013, 08:30 AM
I wish I could turn that frequently. :(

My tires are square and unevenly worn across the profile. Sigh.

allanoue
October 27th, 2013, 08:54 AM
In the winter they spread salt and cinders and it is dark for my morning and evening commute so I can not see the road cinders so I stay 90% freeway. I think I would be better off with a car tire on the back during the winter months and just start with the flat center I am going to have soon anyway:(

JBinSD
October 28th, 2013, 10:23 AM
I get about 300 miles on a set of tires. All I do is trackdays and race, Pirelli DOT's seem to last the longest (maybe 300-400 miles?) the Bridgestone slicks maybe two race weekends, which is usually significantly less than 200 miles. . .
Just a perspective. When the rubber is the only thing between you and the asphalt, its worth it to keep good, sticky rubber on your bike. . .

wandyhee
November 12th, 2013, 09:29 PM
tried shinko 011 previously, lasted up to 11k miles

JohnnyBravo
November 12th, 2013, 10:10 PM
1k as of today an still kickin

old3
November 13th, 2013, 10:08 AM
I get about 300 miles on a set of tires. All I do is trackdays and race, Pirelli DOT's seem to last the longest (maybe 300-400 miles?) the Bridgestone slicks maybe two race weekends, which is usually significantly less than 200 miles. . .
Just a perspective. When the rubber is the only thing between you and the asphalt, its worth it to keep good, sticky rubber on your bike. . .

Wow, I thought my 400 miles would be the lowest number! They were fine, just not confidence inspiring, (IRC stockers). Went thru gumball sumoto tires that should have been tossed at 3k, into a set of Duro street tires now and like them a lot. $130 for both shipped and good grip when warm. Cold tar is a bit greasy at first. Over 2k on them, holding up great.

alex.s
November 13th, 2013, 10:40 AM
i used josh's stocker 300 irc tires on my 250 for commuting. the rear has about 8 or 9k miles on it right now and its not quite done yet. just barely to the wear bars.

beazy411
November 13th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I'm at just under 5k on the tires now and am finally starting to get a flat spot from the commuting. I'll probably replacing them with the Rosso II's this winter.

Alkeplar
November 13th, 2013, 09:37 PM

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a115/adouglas2001/Ninjapics/IMG_2911_zps629e4244.jpg

Not to highjack, but where did you get the rear swingarm...? It doesn't look stock. Could you PM me with details?

Tigerpaw
November 14th, 2013, 02:40 PM
I wish I could turn that frequently. :(

My tires are square and unevenly worn across the profile. Sigh.

My rear is squaring at 3300 miles. Stupid Ohio rodes, lol.

Might be my excuse to get something stickier in the spring. Although, I admit to having zero handling problems with the stockers.

choneofakind
November 14th, 2013, 02:48 PM
My rear is squaring at 3300 miles. Stupid Ohio rodes, lol.

Head south. They get better, but still not worth the long ride to get there.

Tigerpaw
November 14th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Head south. They get better, but still not worth the long ride to get there.

NKY, Southern IN, SE OH....

From Dayton, I can find lots of great roads, but usually the commute to them is like 2x or 3x the miles ridden.

Loadthis
November 14th, 2013, 05:44 PM
I don't want to find out how long they last so I'm replacing them with DRIIs next weekend. Have 2700 on them now.

ally99
December 1st, 2013, 02:59 PM
I had the dealer replace the IRCs with BT-45s before I brought the new baby home. Will report back (hopefully a LONG time from now) on the mileage I get out of them!

JohnnyBravo
October 10th, 2014, 10:25 AM
A little Over 6K, so far, the back is square and about slick (thanks Florida)

APEmike
October 10th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Ive got 183 miles on the IRCs so far.... I wore the little nubbly thingys off them :D

cadd
October 10th, 2014, 11:01 AM
I have the OEM tires. I'll be changing them out over the winter. Under 3k miles and still looks brand new. Tons of those nipple things still on the tire.

After I get them off, if you can have them for $50 bux. I'm about 3hrs from you.

Tigerpaw
October 11th, 2014, 08:55 PM
I put 6K miles on the stockers.

eddiekay
October 19th, 2014, 05:00 PM
IRC road weiners (oem) 9500 miles..almost all on highways

ally99
October 19th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I never rode on the IRCs. I had BT-45s installed immediately upon purchase. My first rear lasted 6,500 miles. It probably had another few hundred on it, but it was more convenient to get it done early.

Finesse
October 25th, 2014, 09:41 PM
What the hell. We charge $67.50 to change a front or rear tire, plus the cost of the tire.

You got OWNED by the dealer.

RidingBear
February 24th, 2015, 03:26 PM
a bit of an old thread maybe, but for the record, my rear stock IRC lasted between 16.k and 18k miles of commuting (I'd have to check my maintenance log to check when I replaced it).
I scrapped my plan to upgrade and bought a new IRC. they are sticky enough for the freeway in california.

rojoracing53
February 24th, 2015, 04:08 PM
a bit of an old thread maybe, but for the record, my rear stock IRC lasted between 16.k and 18k miles of commuting (I'd have to check my maintenance log to check when I replaced it).
I scrapped my plan to upgrade and bought a new IRC. they are sticky enough for the freeway in california.

I got several thousand miles more out of the pilot road radial for basically the same price. As far as rear tires go I felt no difference in stability or traction even though ones a bias-ply and the other is a radial. Both tires handled like **** in the last 2k miles of theirife because of squaring. Those IRC rear are plenty sticky enough for the canyons and slower track riders, I was never able to break mine loose on the street at all. You made a good choice for your next 15k miles.

RidingBear
February 24th, 2015, 04:19 PM
I got several thousand miles more out of the pilot road radial for basically the same price.

I thought the pilots are more expensive? I saw them for like $160 rear and about $100 front. The IRC were $180 for both - the old, stock version. they have a new IRC version 2 out now. not a big difference and I'd pay it for having even more miles, but I thought the IRC were the longest running. my front tire has 20k on it and it's still good.

rojoracing53
February 24th, 2015, 05:07 PM
I thought the pilots are more expensive? I saw them for like $160 rear and about $100 front. The IRC were $180 for both - the old, stock version. they have a new IRC version 2 out now. not a big difference and I'd pay it for having even more miles, but I thought the IRC were the longest running. my front tire has 20k on it and it's still good.

Not sure how more expensive they are but as I've recommended countless times before. Stay away front bias-ply front tires and get a good radial. A front tire that last 20k isn't saving you much money but you take a big hit on performance. My pilot rear last me like 14k and my race takeoff front last the same right with it. There little point mounting a new rear to a front tire that's already 70% worn out. You would mute most the benefits of the new rear tire that way.

IRCs were the longest running till that pilot radial came out a few years back then it took point.

Hero Danny
February 26th, 2015, 11:38 AM
My tire has 3k miles, looks brand new.

Sirref
February 26th, 2015, 12:14 PM
My tire has 3k miles, looks brand new.

Mine was showing cords around that point....

Hero Danny
February 26th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Mine was showing cords around that point....

I only ride my bike hard maybe 10% of the time... mostly I just enjoy cruising around. Not to mention I got my bike late summer/early fall. So it was cold and I was always nervous about tire slippage on the cold pavement.

Sirref
February 26th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Danny, your wear is the norm. I have no idea how I destroyed mine so fast. The irc tires should last way longer than mine did, at least 10k miles...only thing I can think of is chirping the rear "launching" the bike and sustained riding in excess of 100mph. No burnouts or **** like that

LittleRedNinjette
February 27th, 2015, 08:54 AM
My rear tire is just about squared at just over 7k. Front still looks good though.

EsrTek
February 27th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Stock IRC tire in rear has about 7k on it, just barely starting to square off. However, I think that is mostly due to interstate riding 95% of time for last 1.5k miles, as the tires where fine looking at 5k.

Either way, IRC tires deserve to be replaced @ 1mile (especially if u plan to ride in rain)
I already have a road pilot 3 rear sitting in closet for this yr :)

LittleRedNinjette
February 27th, 2015, 09:55 AM
I already have a road pilot 3 rear sitting in closet for this yr :)

I have the Road 4s waiting to go on. :thumbup:

Hero Danny
February 27th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Yeah, Sirref I also hardly go on the highway with my bike. I like to stick to the back roads, more interesting that way.

allanoue
March 3rd, 2015, 02:26 PM
My first set of IRCs I took to the cords in 9k.
My second set of IRCs would not pass inspection at 6k
My pilot streets are getting close to 6k and look new

IRCs were like $15 dollars cheaper but last half as long.

My bike is for commuting
Easy math.

I do have much more confidence with the power streets but that maybe more to do with having the power street up front, so not germane to this thread.

APEmike
June 9th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Im at 3500 now and very significantly squared... Ill be lucky to get another thousand out of the back tire... I wonder why its wearing so fast? I commute 90 miles daily, 80% straight(ish) road between 60-75mph. Maybe I should stop the whole getting the back tire to skip around while braking thing....

CZroe
June 9th, 2015, 04:00 PM

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a115/adouglas2001/Ninjapics/IMG_2911_zps629e4244.jpgNot to highjack, but where did you get the rear swingarm...? It doesn't look stock. Could you PM me with details?
In case you never got an answer: that's the stock swing arm with a Sportisi version 2 hugger and swing arm cover from Indonesia. I have one too on the same color bike. It's fiberglass but they also make a carbon fiber version. The glass one is fragile, brittle, and often deforms, but it looks very nice.

CZroe
June 9th, 2015, 04:08 PM
My current diablo rear

Didnt see a track. And apparently I like lefts lol
Left turns are longer than right turns in places where we drive on the right. One extra lane's width forward and one extra lane's width to the left adds up to this. :thumbup:

accumack
June 9th, 2015, 06:07 PM
My IRCs lasted 6k miles my Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2s lasted 2500 miles I'm now on Michelin Street Pilot Radials and they are wearing well I believe i'll get better than 5k on them and grip almost as well as the Pirellis. They cost me $95 front $117 rear and $35 for mounting and balancing the pair off the bike from my dealer.

reggae5
June 10th, 2015, 06:26 AM
I managed to get 11k miles off my OEM IRC tire's before I switched it out. Still have the original front tire at 13k now but getting close to needing a new one.
My new $55.00 rear tire. I only use my bike for commuting.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t71/reggae5/ninja/100_0639_zps52debddb.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/reggae5/media/ninja/100_0639_zps52debddb.jpg.html)

Rogue
June 10th, 2015, 07:26 AM

Wow, you really got taken advantage of! I paid $318 for a set of Rosso II's mounted, balanced, old tires disposed of - just rode up to the Ducati dealer and handed them the key, drooled over some new bikes for an hour, and rode home.

allanoue
June 10th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Wow, you really got taken advantage of! I paid $318 for a set of Rosso II's mounted, balanced, old tires disposed of - just rode up to the Ducati dealer and handed them the key, drooled over some new bikes for an hour, and rode home.

You are right, back in 2013 I was.

Thanks for the reminder.

APEmike
August 10th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Im down to the wear bars, almost to the bottom of the tread in the center now. 6,200 miles. Saving the $300 I need to get michelin 2ct front and rear, mounted and balanced...

APEmike
September 3rd, 2015, 11:47 AM
Replaced last thursday with a Duro 9somethingorother rock hard econo special because it was cheap and Ive been low on funds. 7044 final milage count on the IRC. Sadly this off brand touring/general-purpose tire feels just as, if not more stable at lean than the IRC.

Edit: just noticed its the same one as reggae5 's new tire ^^^^

And we have the same swing arm spools... Weird....

reggae5
September 3rd, 2015, 01:04 PM
Replaced last thursday with a Duro 9somethingorother rock hard econo special because it was cheap and Ive been low on funds. 7044 final milage count on the IRC. Sadly this off brand touring/general-purpose tire feels just as, if not more stable at lean than the IRC.

Edit: just noticed its the same one as reggae5 's new tire ^^^^

And we have the same swing arm spools... Weird....

Great minds think alike:thumbup: