View Full Version : Do you leave any fairing bolts off?

rasta
October 26th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Some of the bolts/rivets on the side fairings are extremely annoying to install. Namely, these ones:

(picture courtesy of akima's thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=156289))

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/MeTALReVOLVeR12/akima.png

These are just a pain in the ass the put back in, so I don't do it anymore......anyone else leave anything off?

Boom King
October 26th, 2013, 08:37 PM
How are they annoying? Are they not catching the threads? Splain to me Lucy.

rasta
October 26th, 2013, 09:19 PM
In order to put them back, I have to bend my arms in ways that they're not meant to bend. If they were bolts you just screwed in, that'd be fine and dandy. But they're not. I need to get the nut on the inside of the fairing so the bolt can catch. And it's not very fun :(

tfkrocks
October 26th, 2013, 09:19 PM
I don't put bolts in because the rubber grommets rotted away and the holes won't hold bolts anymore lol.

ETA: I have none of the bolts that you're talking about on my bike :p

csmith12
October 26th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I put those in on the street fairings on the ninja yes. However on other bikes and my R6, not so much. Zip ties are effin' awesome. :thumbup:

DmbShn41
October 27th, 2013, 04:46 AM
Know what you mean OP. I have one on each side instead of two, thats all the farther I could get my hand into the nose sections, through the handle bars, etc. Anyone know of a good fix for that, or the replacement parts for the rubber grommet with nut inside?

Thanks~

mrb
October 27th, 2013, 05:26 AM
yup OP, having only one of the two in won't hurt you. Those darn little rubber things keep falling off when i put the bike back together too.

NevadaWolf
October 27th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Hurm, odd, those side ones catch easily for me. The two I hate putting back in are two plastic rivets on the bottom that connect the two lower cowlings. I've given up on the one in the front but the bottom two i futz with even though it's a PITA.

Boom King
October 27th, 2013, 09:37 AM
I gotcha. The rubber grommet holding the nut ripped on mine so the fairing bolt would never catch. I glued the rubber together but that only held up for one season.

rasta
October 27th, 2013, 01:55 PM
I think what I'll do is glue the nuts in place on the inside. That way I won't have to reach into the front end of the fairing

pdxdavid
October 27th, 2013, 04:18 PM
All mine rotted. I have not replaced them.

leed
October 27th, 2013, 04:21 PM
All you need is to replace the wellnuts. The size.. I don't remember -- take the little bolts to the hardware store to find the [metric] thread size -- from there most wellnuts are standard sized off that.

pdxdavid
October 27th, 2013, 04:25 PM
I believe they are 5mm well nuts. I had some ordered at fastenal but I never got the call of them arriving. I have heard the Ace Hardware may have them. I have not made it out to that area to have a look. If I find them. I will post back.

nickjpass
October 27th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Mine don't hold on the zx, and now something is buzzing, it's extremely annoying because I can't find the source.

DmbShn41
October 27th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Never thought of gluing them in. What type of glue do you think would hold the best?

If it's 5mmx1.0 thread, it's so close to a 10-32 thread that either or can be used. That's an if though. Sometimes those are easily available.

rasta
October 27th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Never thought of gluing them in. What type of glue do you think would hold the best?

:idunno: I figured anything strong/waterproof would suffice..

DmbShn41
October 28th, 2013, 04:16 AM
A quick search for 5mm wellnuts on eBay showed reasonable prices. $25 for an $18 with free shipping. Probably cheaper if you keep looking. Maybe those are better than what Kawi provides. Wonder if I could make some stainless threaded sleeves?

rasta
October 28th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Wonder if I could make some stainless threaded sleeves?

You should find out, then send me some if it's successful :D

DmbShn41
October 28th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I have access to a lathe, and material, but to make 20-30 for a bike would be a far stretch. Would probably have to thread the exterior so that it would hold inside plastic hole, and put a shoulder on it. Over tightening would probably break the plastics. I tend to over design things. :)

rasta
October 29th, 2013, 12:52 AM
I have access to a lathe, and material, but to make 20-30 for a bike would be a far stretch. Would probably have to thread the exterior so that it would hold inside plastic hole, and put a shoulder on it. Over tightening would probably break the plastics. I tend to over design things. :)

20 or 30? You'd only need them for the bolts that require you to reach inside the front fairing. Most of the bolts are already easy to install, it's just the few I highlighted that are a b*tch. Unless I'm missing something, I'm admittedly not very handy :/

broilmebk
October 29th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Hurm, odd, those side ones catch easily for me. The two I hate putting back in are two plastic rivets on the bottom that connect the two lower cowlings. I've given up on the one in the front but the bottom two i futz with even though it's a PITA.

Mine catch fine too. I didn't know these were a problem?
I also feel your pain with those bottom rivets. Very frustrating.

rasta
October 31st, 2013, 08:30 PM
Mine catch fine too. I didn't know these were a problem?
I also feel your pain with those bottom rivets. Very frustrating.

Ugh, those bottom rivets are annoying. I think I'd almost rather just use zip ties.

But when you're putting those bolts in (the ones I circled), you don't find it frustrating to maneuver your arms so you can get the nut on the inside of the fairing?

NevadaWolf
October 31st, 2013, 09:28 PM
Ugh, those bottom rivets are annoying. I think I'd almost rather just use zip ties.

But when you're putting those bolts in (the ones I circled), you don't find it frustrating to maneuver your arms so you can get the nut on the inside of the fairing?

That's where I am confused on this whole thread. I've never had to put my hand inside the fairing to get any of the bolts back on. :confused:

Oh wait a minute, are you saying you don't have wellnuts behind them so have to reach in to hold a regular nut on the back side of the tab so that the bolt will screw in? If you still have the tab, maybe the cost of the wellnut would be worth removing the hassle.

According to Kawasaki Parts House (http://kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b6568f8700223e47975e8/cowling), it's this:

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/18680/4d17e8f28d77d_18680n.jpg

rasta
October 31st, 2013, 11:13 PM
That's where I am confused on this whole thread. I've never had to put my hand inside the fairing to get any of the bolts back on. :confused:

Oh wait a minute, are you saying you don't have wellnuts behind them so have to reach in to hold a regular nut on the back side of the tab so that the bolt will screw in? If you still have the tab, maybe the cost of the wellnut would be worth removing the hassle.....

Ummm this is the bolt/nuts I have...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/MeTALReVOLVeR12/null_zps5161de31.jpg

Doesn't look like I have the right ones??

NevadaWolf
October 31st, 2013, 11:31 PM
Looks like you have the right ones (that's definitely the right bolt) but it doesn't look like you have all of the wellnut. Maybe, as others have commented, something has happened to the rubber to prevent it from staying in the tab it's supposed to be in. Like it rotted, or dried out, or maybe was over tightened at some point. Dunno.

Your's kinda looks like these..
http://blog-imgs-53.fc2.com/p/c/1/pc1900/2012051420.jpg

I'm going to guess over tightened and you are just left with the rubber part that holds the gold nut and not the rubber part that goes into the tab on the lower cowling.

broilmebk
November 1st, 2013, 08:27 AM
Ummm this is the bolt/nuts I have...

[IMG]

Doesn't look like I have the right ones??

Definitely. Sure looks like you don't have the right part, intact. I was confused about this whole thing as well, but several people chimed in with the same problem. I did realize at one point they all had '08s listed.