View Full Version : whining sound

mikedabike64
October 31st, 2013, 10:09 AM
hi guys I am pretty new to the ninja 250 scene so forgive my ignorance but I have a 2008 with 14,000 miles I don't know if anybody has ever heard on electric motorcycle before some guy had one at the track,
but I noticed my bike kind of makes that whining sound that increases and decreases with engine rpm
only when moving
not at idle
is this a sound that is inherently characteristic of this motorcycle
is this a tip off is that something might possibly need attention, possibly the valve clearance
thank you very much Mike handler

csmith12
October 31st, 2013, 10:20 AM
I think the whining your describing is heard in the vid below @39 secs right?
WQU4TT--DqE

If so, it's common and nothing to worry with.

Panda
October 31st, 2013, 10:52 AM
My old helmet made an almost exact replica of the speedo cable whine at about 50 mph if I tilt my head just right...

alex.s
October 31st, 2013, 10:55 AM
the whine you describe sounds like a too tight chain

DaBlue1
October 31st, 2013, 10:58 AM
....bike kind of makes that whining sound that increases and decreases with engine rpm only when moving

...is this a sound that is inherently characteristic of this motorcycle?

Is your bike stock and does it ride fine?
Does it sound like the bike in this video?
If it does, it's a normal noise.

5zJiZaIwfyk

mikedabike64
October 31st, 2013, 04:19 PM
In both videos it sounds exactly like that, ok wow, I actually like the sound & it seems inherent, the bike runs great motor wise.
Thank you everyone I appreciate the feedback.

mikedabike64
October 31st, 2013, 07:02 PM
Alex I ordered a New chain & sprockets from volar, their hh brakes are good, this one has 14,000 miles O rings falling off when I spin it, it gets real tight then real loose. Iam certain this adds to the noise as well.
I am getting it ready for the track next spring at njmp, I had previously ridden pre gen 250 & ninja 500.
There are a good hand full of new gen 250s and 300s so Iam fixing one thing at a time. :)

Alex
November 3rd, 2013, 08:28 PM
If you haven't put the volar chain on yet, return it. It's crap. (search for "volar" on this site for a number of threads where people had issues with them). Decent chains are still inexpensive enough that it's not worth skimping on them.

mikedabike64
November 3rd, 2013, 08:58 PM
I appreciate the help.