View Full Version : 600 Mile Dealer Service?

sm0kediver
March 22nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
When I bought my bike, they urged me to bring it in for the 600 mile service. I have always maintained my bikes myself (oil changes, air filter service, lubrication, tire pressures, chain tension, etc), but my salesman told me it was a good idea to bring it in so they could make sure everything was right. For me it means $190 and going through the hassle of dropping the bike off, getting a ride, etc.

Good advice, or a sales pitch for them to get more of my money?

kkim
March 22nd, 2009, 02:18 PM
check in your owner's manual on what is involved in the 600 mile check.

to me, it's an oil change with some nut and bolt tightening thrown in. If you elect to do it yourself (highly recommended :)) save your receipts for the oil and filter you purchase to do the job and file it. if you ever need to file a warranty claim, you can use that as proof the work was done.

HKr1
March 22nd, 2009, 05:17 PM
I have always maintained my bikes myself

Well, there ya go :thumbup: Why pay 190 for an oil change :)

M-Oorb
March 22nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
I think they also clean that oil screen thing( forgot the name right now). Pretty easy to do but make sure you do it at the 600 mark when you do your own service
Posted via Mobile Device

g21-30
March 23rd, 2009, 08:08 AM
I think they also clean that oil screen thing( forgot the name right now).

Not part of the 600 mile service.

M-Oorb
March 23rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Oh really? For some reason I thought they did...well I guess you don't gotta do it then haha...makes it that much easier
Posted via Mobile Device

g21-30
March 23rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
Matt,

The service manual doesn't mention the screen at all in the periodic maintenance section.

GreezMunky
March 23rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
$190 is awfully high. I only paid $95 for mine.. Yeah yeah, call me lazy, but I deal with that kind of crap all day at work. I have no desire to come home and do the same thing on my bike.

noche_caliente
March 29th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I plan on posting a full 600 mi service DIY in a few weeks - probably a little late to be helpful though - we are leaving on vacation next weekend, so I doubt I will have it before then

00v_Lucky
March 29th, 2009, 06:38 PM
i actually did my 600 mile service because I knew I was going to sell my bike. People could do a vin scan, make sure I was a responsible owner.

TrueFaith
March 29th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I took my new Altima Coupe in for an adjustment last month at 3000 miles. While I usually do oil changes and minor maintainence on my bike and car myself, I figured since I was there I'd have them do the 3000 mile oil change. BIG MISTAKE. When I went to check my oil level a couple of days later I found oil dripped all over my engine shroud, the oil filler cap had been put back on too tight and had to be wrenched off and my friggin' oil level was down a FULL QUART!
That's an example of what can happen when you trust a dealer to care about your wheels as much as you do. They usually DON'T. :mad:
I say you should always do your own maintainence if it's at all possible.

Nemy
March 29th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Ya there's no point paying $195, or anything over $15 for that matter, for a glorified oil change. Better off doing it yourself and and in the meantime learn how to take care of your baby.

paterick4o8
March 29th, 2009, 11:33 PM
if you can handle what the 600 mi services are, then DIY and save your ca$h for more cool upgrades for your bike :D

It's a bit of a sales pitch IMO. but FYI, if you DIY, consider that if you ever sell your bike, you won't have papers showing you had the shop do the service for you.