View Full Version : Gauge Light Question.

Buffalony
March 22nd, 2009, 11:03 PM
Just wondering if any one on the forum has experimented with different colored gauge lights or replaced them with leds. Anyone?

Jiu Jitsu Player
March 22nd, 2009, 11:54 PM
You may find some info in this thread...

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14545

Buffalony
March 23rd, 2009, 12:19 AM
Nope. I didnt find that useful. I read that thread before.

I'm not talking about the gauge back ground. I'm talking about the lighting.
After reading kkims DIY on removing the fairing. I thought about changing the gauge cluster lighting to either a colored bulb or LED. I really can't recall any threads on this mod. But someone has to have surely taken this one on...right? ... If I can make those Suckers Green... . .Daddys gonna go Fasta!!.:D :high5:

Besides Im gonna be in that area soon anyways.

Sound Wave
March 23rd, 2009, 01:14 AM
nm

Buffalony
March 23rd, 2009, 02:38 AM
nm

Huh? Back Button!

Sound Wave
March 23rd, 2009, 02:42 AM
Really? That was kinda rude.

my "nm" was "never mind".

i had posted a reply. re-read it and decided that my info could be wrong. couldn't delete the fact that i posted something, so instead i put "nm".

sorry if you thought i was being rude. didn't want to give you bum information.

Buffalony
March 23rd, 2009, 02:48 AM
i had posted a reply. re-read it and decided that my info could be wrong. couldn't delete the fact that i posted something, so instead i put "nm".

Sorry.

Any info would be of value I guess. like would an LED light up things right or what size bulb are these. They look common. I Haven't looked it up yet!

Buffalony
March 23rd, 2009, 02:49 AM
my "nm" was "never mind".

No I'm Just used to other Ninja 250 Forums I guess :o

Sound Wave
March 23rd, 2009, 03:13 AM
the service manual says that they are the "wedge" type bulbs. i did a search on ebay using "wedge LED green". there basically seems to be 3 different types of wedge bulbs. i couldn't find an exact bulb type number in the manual...so i wasn't sure which one it is. based on the pics, my guess is that it is the 194/168/158.

the problem is not to get too large a cluster otherwise it won't fit in the opening. although, if you don't get enough LED's, then the light will be dimmer than it was stock. also, i am pretty sure that those are polarity specific, so if one way doesn't work, you gotta flip it 180 degrees and try again.

also, looking in the manual, it didn't specify exactly how many bulbs there are. i was thinking that maybe it is one per gauge, but since the speedo is so much larger, maybe it had two? looking at the pic of the back of the cluster was not very helpful either.

then, i was also thinking that since there is a slight blue tint to the gauge, that if you put a green bulb, it MIGHT be a slightly different green.... slightly bluish green. and if you got a yellow bulb, it probably isn't blue enough to give you a true green either. was thinking that you were still better off going with the green bulb.

anyways, after re-reading my original post, and realizing that i was guessing on most of the info, i thought it best to delete my post and let someone who knew for sure to reply instead.

edit: ooh, found this on another forum. not sure if the guy is on here as well. maybe you can pm him. http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=128927

Buffalony
March 23rd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Cool. I'll shop for a few different types of bulbs.
After I get under there in the next couple of weeks I'll take some pics of the results with different bulb types/colors. thanks for the post it seems there are three altogether.