View Full Version : carburetor dispensing gasoline. am I supposed to send back to gas tank?

chillwill
November 6th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Hey guys, I'm Will. I'm new here.

I have searched the Internet thus far and no one seems to know the answer to my current issue. I scrolled through the carburetor posts and didn't see anything similar.

So I got this 250r from a friend (long, terrible story). He ****ed up a lot of **** and made his own mods. It wouldn't turn over/fire up. I took it to a racer friend of mine and he couldn't get it running either. I then took it to a mechanic who rebuilt carbs. He is located about 2 hours away from me. They got it running with a gas IV and showed me.

I took it back home. Today I tried to get it running by putting gas in the fuel tank. I got a cluster**** of information from ex-250 riders (acquaintances) about where to connect some hoses and how to get the gas tank properly connected. I was told to put the petcock in prime mode then put the fuel hose on the connector on top of the carburetors. So after I filled it with gas, gas began quickly leaking out of the side of the carburetors through a valve.

I lifted up the gas tank to stop this (tilted). It stopped. Then I called my racer friend who told me to put the petcock in run/on. I did that and was able to get it running after some work (turned over and fired up). I warmed up the engine for 5 minutes. Then I let throttle drop and it went below 1000 rpm and died. Next I set the idle rmp. The bike is still leaking gas out of the side valve of the carburetor.

So that gas wouldn't get on the hot components of the bike, I got some fuel hose and routed it to the ground. Why is gas coming out of my carburetors? I just got them rebuilt. Should I be routing this fuel back up to the gas tank on the top left? Is this how it used to be? The valve there has a snipped hose for me. Also, I got it to idle at about 1300 rpm earlier but when I just started it up again it wouldn't idle, even after warming it up and adjusting idle rpm.

Some photos: http://imgur.com/a/aHULB I would have posted more but it's too dark out for good image definition. I can video the process of what I'm talking about and post that too.

cuong-nutz
November 7th, 2013, 05:46 AM
B is a vent tube, fuel shouldn't be going into it. Fuel should be going to the side inlet on the left side of the carb (sitting on the bike)

older carb but same deal regardless

chillwill
November 8th, 2013, 11:38 AM
ok this makes sense. That left inlet line from petcock is where my fuel is coming out of.

I think the hoses are connected to the wrong place. Here are some more photos: http://imgur.com/a/7QxKN

Let me know if this clears anything up. If not tell me where you want more photos.

In the second link of photos (http://imgur.com/a/7QxKN) I meant to label "C" as "D"

Lychee
November 8th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I think you should bring your carburetor back to the people that rebuilt it and ask them to recheck the float valve seals and the float height. Tell them that the bowls are overflowing. That should not happen, even with the petcock at prime. The overflow is causing the engine to run rich, which is causing it to run rough and/or shut down.

chillwill
November 8th, 2013, 12:45 PM
I agree. They should make sure everything is done right.
I probably would have already gone if they were where I am located, but they are about 2 hours away. I'm a full time student. Furthermore, it's relatively difficult to put the bike in a honda element.

So I can do that, but it will be difficult.

cuong-nutz
November 8th, 2013, 02:25 PM
"B" at the petcock is suppose to go to "D" on the carb.
"B" at the carb is just a vent tube that goes to no where.

chillwill
November 11th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Thank you.

Ok so I will take hose "B" and move it to where "D" was.

What about the spot between the carburetors where "B" used to go?

And what about hose "C" from the gas tank? Where does it go?

cuong-nutz
November 11th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Thank you.

Ok so I will take hose "B" and move it to where "D" was.

What about the spot between the carburetors where "B" used to go?

And what about hose "C" from the gas tank? Where does it go?

Just attach a hose to the fitting inbetween the carb and point it down so debris doesn't have chance getting into it.

The C hose from the gas tank side is just an overflow drain for the gas. The hose runs all the way to the side and down the bike.

chillwill
November 11th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Ok. Doing it now. Will let you know how it goes.

chillwill
November 11th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Just rode it and it's running well! Anything I should do about "C"? Or can I just leave it hanging snipped like it is?

cuong-nutz
November 11th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Just rode it and it's running well! Anything I should do about "C"? Or can I just leave it hanging snipped like it is?

Might be better if it was longer and drained under the bike. Wouldn't want gas dropping on the header now would you lol