View Full Version : My Ninja be dead, so I joined this forum!

Southeastjames
November 7th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Hey guys and gals. First to introduce myself. I'm in the Charlotte area, just south of the border actually in SC. Been riding since about '63 when I was but a wee lad on a Honda 55 Trail. :D

Big green sure made a nice little bike in the Ninjette. My wife got her MC license on it and I rode the thing a lot motor pacing and SAG support for bikes.

Well, I killed it dead. Did a long run on the interstate at shall we say, 'elevated' speeds and that was that. Nice long run on the interstate, then pulled off and did some stop and go traffic. Rode it through my neighborhood, pulled into my driveway. I put it in neutral, turned off the key. No indications of any problems. I opened the garage door and went to start it and it wouldn't turn over, just a click. Whatever, I pushed it in the garage.

Couple days later I come out to see what was up. Something seized up. It will go into 1st, but I can't get the wheel to turn. It won't go into second. Pushing it back and forth in first to try to get it to go into second does nothing.

That was maybe 2 years ago. I figured oh well, now it's a project bike. But really, I don't know what to do with it. Fix it, part it out, sell it as is... What do you think?

alex.s
November 7th, 2013, 01:37 PM
the first problem was caused by a dead battery or a blown VRR that wasn't charging the battery.

the not going into 2nd is by design, its called the kawi "positive neutral finder". the transmission output shaft has to be spinning in order to push the ball bearings inside toward the outside of the shaft to "unlock" from neutral to slide over into 2nd gear... this means the wheel has to be going like 5 mph to get into second, or you have to be really lucky.

and when its cold it can definitely be a bitch to move even with the clutch in.

now after sitting for 2 years, the gas is bad and it needs the carbs and fuel lines cleaned

csmith12
November 7th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Welcome James!

Have you tried turning it via the front sprocket nut? Maybe it's just the starter. Check the kickstand switch too, jump the wires to bypass.

csmith12
November 7th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I am making an assumption that you had oil in it the entire time. Another chap just lost his engine due to a leak at pace. Hope you fair better.

TonyKZ1
November 7th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Welcome to the Site, James.
Tony

KJohnson21
November 7th, 2013, 11:34 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=1195

^^ yeah, what alex.s said ^^

...and it doesn't matter what speeds you were doing on the highway. That's what it's made for. If it wasn't making weird ugly sounds when you parked it, the engine should be basically okay. But at this point the carbs need a good cleaning.

Racer x
November 8th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Charge the battery and try again. If its a strong click the turn the key so you get lights and all. Put it in neutral. Remove the plastic plug in the side cover on the left side. Use a big washer or something. There is a 14 mom nut on the end of the crank. Try to turn it counter clockwise.

JohnnyBravo
November 8th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Welcome to the forum... Ya got plenty of good help round this place, best of luck

RedPepper64
November 8th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Welcome and best of luck with the little biddie!

RedPepper64
November 8th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Welcome and best of luck with the little biddie!

Snake
November 9th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Hello and welcome.

Motofool
November 9th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Hey guys and gals. First to introduce myself. I'm in the Charlotte area, just south of the border actually in SC. Been riding since about '63 when I was but a wee lad on a Honda 55 Trail. :D............But really, I don't know what to do with it. Fix it, part it out, sell it as is... What do you think?

Welcome to our site, James !!!

Have you worked on bikes during all those years?

I would buy a used engine and replace the seized one.

NinjaDucky
November 26th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Welcome! And yes motorcycle batteries are small and if yours is older it may just need replacing, especially if its sat dead for a couple years. See if you can turn it manually from the front sprocket nut. If you can your bike likely is fine. Flush and replace the fluids, clean everything, get a new battery and maybe a new spark plug while you're at it, I bet she starts right up :)

adouglas
November 26th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Holy crap, someone on the site even older than I am.

Welcome!

allanoue
November 26th, 2013, 02:41 PM
:welcome: James
fix it

Southeastjames
May 11th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Well, it's been a while. Been busy getting getting the new house in order and with life in general. :)

Through research I found that Kawas have a 'positive neutral' and I couldn't get it into second because the bike had to be running and moving. Duh.. never heard of it. Anyway, a good carb soak in Berrymans, new battery and tappet adjustment and it's doing it's thing again. :clapping:

Where do you guys think a good place to sell it is? I hate to resort to Craigslist, I put up at ADVRider. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=977206

I don't want to be one of 'those' guys that join and post a bike for sale so I'll refrain from spamming your forum. If you have any ideas let me know.

Thanks,
James

Joshua763
May 11th, 2014, 09:03 AM
whats up James, I am just a newb here but it wouldn't hurt to put it up for sale you just need twenty five posts If it is a nice bike some one from the area you are in might like what they see. I think (tell me if I am wrong site people)