View Full Version : Odd noise, probably me being paranoid

Realirony
March 24th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I didnt know exactly where to post a question such as this so I'll leave it here. Over the past few days I've noticed that after riding for awhile (maybe 20miles or more) that an almost high pitch whine/whistle seems to come from my tank and tappers off after a few seconds (this noise happens when I come to a stop and idle). It almost sounds like air escaping the tank but its loud/pitched enough that I can make it out through my full-face and engine idle. Is this a normal occurance and I'm just being paranoid or could there possibly be something wrong?

Just as some fyi that may contribute, its been around 50-70 degrees here lately, I ride around the city through stop and go traffic, and this noise seems most active a few minutes after I fuel up. I'm probably just being over cautious of my bike. But I'm new to all sorts of noises and happenings of bikes and would like a 2nd opinion.

thanks for any help you all can provide. d=('-')z

Buffalony
March 24th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Are you serious?

Buffalony
March 24th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Ok sorry. Yes it is normal. it can be fixed with a modification that isn't worth it unless it really really bothers you. Where is kkim with those links?:D

No really though. Do a search here and if you don't find something here I'm pretty sure the info/ mod is over at kawiforums.

sugarbear
March 24th, 2009, 06:56 AM
That sounds a bit like the famous "Kawasaki tea kettle" :D Nothing to worry about. Apparently it is air escaping from your gas cap. (Seriously, they all do that!) My Ninja talks to me all the time. I think it's adorable...

Buffalony
March 24th, 2009, 07:01 AM
That sounds a bit like the famous "Kawasaki tea kettle" :D Nothing to worry about. Apparently it is air escaping from your gas cap. (Seriously, they all do that!) My Ninja talks to me all the time. I think it's adorable...

That is the best way to look at it that I've heard. It speaks. It does sound kinda cute now that I think of it. :D

TrueFaith
March 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Hmmm...spring arrives, people start riding their new bikes and we get another rash of "what is that high-pitched noise?" questions. Kawasaki should really put a warning lable on their gas tanks that says: "This motorcycle may make random and aggrivating noises unless the gas tank elimination mod is performed asap". :rolleyes:

Realirony
March 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I'll just chalk it up to usual noise. I noticed it back in Jan when I was riding in 40+ degree weather and just thorught it was from the cold, wasnt until it got warmer and still did it that I thought something was wrong. All good, thanks for the input guys. I just didnt want my tank to blow up for some crazy reason heh. I'll do some further searching if it starts to bother me. thanks again

Viper-Byte
March 24th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Mine does that whenever I move it to a different location where the temperature is different (warm inside, cold outside)

I too think of it like talking. Ha ha ha

Buffalony
March 24th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Mine does that whenever I move it to a different location where the temperature is different (warm inside, cold outside)

I too think of it like talking. Ha ha ha

Or a whine to ride.

Like a whimper because she's no longer moving.

Parking in the garage after a long and entertaining ride, she lets out a gentle, whispering whine. A sound that can touch any mans soul, good or bad. She is upset because She knows the curtain is closing on todays adventure. With a firm pat on the back side and in a confident voice I assure her it will not be long until we take on tomorrows brass tacks together.

Viper-Byte
March 25th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Joe, you are right, I was leaving at 4am esterday morning to go to the airport, I am in Australia for the next week with the Formula 1 :D and she was crying as I left... I talked to her before I went telling her I will be back to take her out soon :D

miks
March 25th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Davo coming Melb ey! The F1 is going to be amazing, especially with 'The Who' performing! Hope you have heaps of fun in Melb.

Syphen
March 25th, 2009, 06:13 AM
People have modified their gas caps by drilling the vent holes up a size or two in the gas cap. But its never that bad a noise and most Kawi's (even ZX10R's) do it a little.

Viper-Byte
March 25th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Davo coming Melb ey! The F1 is going to be amazing, especially with 'The Who' performing! Hope you have heaps of fun in Melb. Yep, look out! :p Been here 2 days now and it is great! I just can't wait for the racing. :D

camaroz1985
March 25th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Yep, look out! :p Been here 2 days now and it is great! I just can't wait for the racing. :D

I hate you :D

Viper-Byte
March 25th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I hate you :D He he he, don't make me bust out the pictures! :p :D

kkim
March 25th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Yep, look out! :p Been here 2 days now and it is great! I just can't wait for the racing. :D

side trip to Kings Cross? :D

Viper-Byte
March 25th, 2009, 01:54 PM
side trip to Kings Cross? :D Not since itis in Sydney :p What is there anyway?

kkim
March 25th, 2009, 02:00 PM
you should visit some day and find out. ;)

Viper-Byte
March 25th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hmm, I think I should do more investigating before I do that... You are up to something :p

kkim
March 25th, 2009, 02:11 PM
moi??! :whistle:

miks
March 26th, 2009, 04:18 AM
It would have been nice if you brought the bike David, the Great Ocean Road is an amazing piece of tarmac with a fantastic view!

http://www.australia-trips.info/Destinations/Vic/Great_Ocean_Road_Victoria_Australia/Great-Ocean-Road.jpg

Buffalony
March 26th, 2009, 05:12 AM
:whathesaid:

Viper-Byte
March 26th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Yeah, yeah, I know... But the cost of bringing her over would have been too much... :(