View Full Version : Owners of Pre Gen Bikes

Snake
March 25th, 2009, 09:16 AM
What would make you switch to an 08+ bike?

I am very happy with my Pre Gen Bike. The only thing that would make me trade it in for a newer model would be if they started making them with fuel injection.

Nemy
March 25th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Well I'm already a convert. But I did it mainly because I wanted a new bike and loved the looks. But now I also notice the increased tire size, lower end power, and preload shock that would make anyone happier.

Fuel injection, while great, I would not be willing to pay an extra 500-1000 for it. Plus as long as your bike's in good condition, I just leave my choke on while I put on my gear and do my lightcheck/walkaround - after that it's go time!

And you can read my initial impressions here:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14908&highlight=boys

sometimesido
March 25th, 2009, 09:23 AM
fuel injection is a good one.
hm, same power, same performance(they lowered it right?), 6th gear for highway travel, touring style riding position, ease of owner performed maintenance.

Purspeed
March 25th, 2009, 09:36 AM
The interesting phenomenon that you will see when/if the FI Ninja's come to the US is this: everyone will be scrambling to buy the carb bikes. Why? Because carb bikes are more powerful. And at this level, you need every bit of power that you can squeeze out of the Ninja.

I own a 2007 only because I could not find an '08 to buy at the time. I recently received an upgraded exhaust and absolutely nothing would get me to change to the '08+ at this point.

sometimesido
March 25th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Interesting indeed.
Time to read some more about carburetors.

BlueTyke
March 25th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Only if something terrible happen... I cannot even mention it :eek: !!

Quiks66
March 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM
The carb/FI debate is an interesting one. They both have pluses and minuses. Carb'd will give you the most power hands down but at the sacrifice of smoothness and predictability. I was a completely FI guy and was afraid of the mysterious carburetor for years until I took the time to rejet my Ninja 250. Now I appreciate what carbs do for us!

As for moving to the 08+ Ninja, I would only do so if I found a great deal on one. For racing, there are better tires available for the 08+ 17" wheels, but that's about the only performance advantage. If you ride on the track much, you'll probably be upgrading the shock anyways. Just my .02

Snake
March 25th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Only if something terrible happen... I cannot even mention it :eek: !!

I'm with you on that. I avoid the unmentionable as best I can. I ride defensively.

Verus Cidere
March 25th, 2009, 01:36 PM
To be quite honest, the only way I would ever get and 08+ ninjette is if I had the money and could get it. I wouldn't trade in, but I wouldn't mind having one of each! :thumbup:

zeroth
March 25th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I have been pondering the pre-gen vs. new-gen question myself. (The reason is that my bike is heavily modded/repaired, and I'd like one that's more stock and newer to avoid more unforeseen problems.)

Advantages of pre-gen:
- better passenger seat and grab bar
- better fuel economy at higher speeds (or so I've read)
- better balanced power (or so I've read)
- design issues have been vetted in the 18-odd years this model has been out
- older model year = lower depreciation (can still get <1000mi bikes on craigslist)

Advantage of new-gen:
- better low-end power (or so I've read)
- better looks (IMHO)

So for me, pre-gen tips the scales.

Strider
March 25th, 2009, 05:09 PM
What would make me switch to an 08+ bike?

I plan to do it in 2010, IF I have the money ...
For me it's mainly the styling and (hopefully by then) fuel injection.
I've ridden an 08' and it 'felt' better to me than my 06'
(It's a hard feeling to put in words, or that could have been jealousy ...)

But regardless of when I do get a new bike, I am keeping my 06' for my wife ;)

Snake
March 25th, 2009, 06:23 PM
My hope is that it will be fuel injected in 2010 as well.

Nemy
March 25th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Do you guys really want the bike to go up again in price? What I ended up paying for the 09 was the limit I would pay for the 250 - regardless of how much I enjoy it. For arguments sake, another 1k for FI would put the bike unbelievably close to any of the other "great" starter/non-ss bikes.

sometimesido
March 25th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Kawi KLX250SF is 250 and $5299 already. :D

komohana
March 28th, 2009, 12:49 PM
am enjoying the pre gen i have, and when i pass this along to my better half (i've got plenty of time...) that'll be the time to consider the upgrade. :ride: