View Full Version : Checking in from Elko, NV

Beedub
November 16th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Howdy!

I picked up a gently used '07 250 this last spring, after having lusted over them for some time. It didn't take much to get it in top shape, just a clutch cable adjustment, a good cleaning, and some new shoes. Just got the new tires put on this last week, in fact. We'll be ready to roll come spring. As soon as the weather is decent again (likely late May or so), I hope to knock out a SS1k on it.

Look forward to meeting some of ya's down the road.

-brad

IBA #22483
fjr.forum.com
B.A.R.F.

CynicalC
November 16th, 2013, 07:19 PM
:welcome: Beedub! Glad you found us...

KJohnson21
November 16th, 2013, 09:25 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=1195

Motofool
November 16th, 2013, 09:51 PM
...........I picked up a gently used '07 250 this last spring, after having lusted over them for some time.........

Ninjette 2007: Best machine ever fabricated !!!

Welcome to our site, Brad !!!

Please, visit our Riding Skills section.

JohnnyBravo
November 17th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Welcome to the forum... Ride on

csmith12
November 17th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Welcome!

NevadaWolf
November 17th, 2013, 01:49 PM
:Squee: Hiya neighbor!!

Was just up in Elko last weekend to check out Lamoille Canyon after I bombed a BBG attempt on my '12.

If the weather stays decent over winter I'll definitely be keeping out on the road. Ever feel like cruising around one weekend and want some company, lemme know!

Beedub
November 18th, 2013, 07:39 PM
:Squee: Hiya neighbor!!

Was just up in Elko last weekend to check out Lamoille Canyon after I bombed a BBG attempt on my '12.

If the weather stays decent over winter I'll definitely be keeping out on the road. Ever feel like cruising around one weekend and want some company, lemme know!

Right back atcha! I saw your attempted BBG report -- looked like a fun route. I've done a coupla in-state BBGs on the FJR & buncha SS1k's on various bikes. Gotta love our roads, especially through the middle of the state, huh.

Beedub
November 18th, 2013, 07:47 PM
P.S. Here's a fun & easy BBG event if anyone's interested. I did it last year & it was a fantastic ride. Not to mention that it benefits a great cause. clicky (http://teamlyle-alamoexpress.com/2014/)

NevadaWolf
November 19th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Right back atcha! I saw your attempted BBG report -- looked like a fun route. I've done a coupla in-state BBGs on the FJR & buncha SS1k's on various bikes. Gotta love our roads, especially through the middle of the state, huh.

Definitely agreed. Only done a few rides through central Nevada, but been down there plenty of times in the truck. Absolutely love the desert and all that there is to see (especially the volcano cones all along Hwy 6). Since my time off does not match my desire to travel, I think I am going to be trying for several instate rides, mind if I pick your brain for tips/tricks?

P.S. Here's a fun & easy BBG event if anyone's interested. I did it last year & it was a fantastic ride. Not to mention that it benefits a great cause. clicky (http://teamlyle-alamoexpress.com/2014/)

Excellent! That is one ride I've been waiting to hear on. Thanks for the link! (I want to play as if it started in Fallon vs Alamo ... Please be a mild winter....)

Edit: if that is your real plate, I LOVE IT! Or did'ja just pull that off the DMV site? :)

Beedub
November 19th, 2013, 10:34 PM
...I think I am going to be trying for several instate rides, mind if I pick your brain for tips/tricks?

Absofrigginlutely! Here's a great Saddlesore route that I've done a few times.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/nvstrom/nv_ss1k.jpg

The beauty of it is that you can start/stop anywhere along the route, ride it clockwise or counterclockwise, wide open roadscapes, and plenty of gas stops other than the stretch between Tonopatch & Ash Springs. When I do it on the Nighthawk, i'll be carrying at least an extra 1.5 gal. gas can.

It misses some really fine roads such as SR318 between Lund & Ash Springs, 50/6 between Ely & Baker, 361 between Middlegate & Luning, US6 between Coaldale & Montgomery Pass... yada x3. The route is adaptable & forgiving, so kick it around a little & see what you like.

NevadaWolf
November 20th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Whoa, much as I love Carroll Summit I never thought of trying to do it on a timed ride. Too spiffy of a canyon to blast through there.

Swinging backwards, the Carlin to just about Schurz course is the route I took for my SS1K, only tricky leg was from Caliente to Tonopah but managed to get in there with gas to spare. But that route is the reason I am heading south for the BBG, want to try to hit all the major roads throughout Nevada. I do like what Team Lyle have done looping back and forth through the minor highways.

Since you've done some BBGs, what's your trick for staying awake that long? Music, audio books, wind, snacks, soda? I dunno about anyone else but water gets dull after awhile and I am really wanting to figure out a way to chug me some Frappachino. The caffeine does nothing for me but I love the taste. My mortal enemy is proving to be the cold, though slowly I am working on building up a defense against that.

A very nice witness suggested carrying the MSR bottles for extra fuel. Granted it's only a half gallon between the two of them but that gives me 25 extra miles if I have really been pushing the bike. Haven't needed them but it is super nice knowing I have the backup just in case.

Beedub
November 20th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Whoa, much as I love Carroll Summit I never thought of trying to do it on a timed ride.

Are you SERIAL?!?!!! 722 is the BEST!!! Yeah, maybe a bit slow in the twisties, but easy to make up, especially on the east end.

My GPS is a 2730 with XM wired in. That helps pass the time. As for staying awake, you just gotta know your limits -- and obey them. No cert or pin or plate backer is worth splatting. From what i've seen of your reports, you're responsible enough to call it if doesn't seem doable, which is exactly the right thing to do.

Bottom line... if you make it, it's an amazing feat. If not, you still got some happy miles along awesome roads on a fantastic machine, and made it home without splatting. Win/Win, there is no Lose here.

I hate the cold too. Very purist here; no heated gear, no aftermarket seat, no aux fuel or lights. Bone stock with minimal farkles more for entertainment than comfort.

Beedub
November 20th, 2013, 11:24 PM
...as for food -- I'm no nutritionist or dietician but this kinda stuff works for me on long trips ('specially on the clock)....

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/nvstrom/Misc%20stuff/DSC00145.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/nvstrom/media/Misc%20stuff/DSC00145.jpg.html)

Don't forget bananas and/or potassium supps to prevent muscle cramps. And lots of water & electrolytes.

Just a small sample of quick/easy/no-muss no fuss grub. YMMV.

NevadaWolf
November 21st, 2013, 11:21 AM
Are you SERIAL?!?!!! 722 is the BEST!!! Yeah, maybe a bit slow in the twisties, but easy to make up, especially on the east end.

Oh heck yeah, one of the better kept secrets along Hwy 50. I usually hit that when I am dancing on and off the old Lincoln Highway, since it is one of the best kept segments. Another fun little twisty area is Wilson Canyon between Yerington and Smith.

My GPS is a 2730 with XM wired in. That helps pass the time. ohh XM, maybe I should find something with that. Prob with my iPod is I know all the tunes and so end up not really listening to it as it's blaring away. I want to toe that line of being aware of what's playing in my ears while focused on the road. Need to find a bunch of the old radio shows, that'd be fun. :)

I hate the cold too. Very purist here; no heated gear, no aftermarket seat, no aux fuel or lights. Bone stock with minimal farkles more for entertainment than comfort.

I'm trying not to mod my bike too much but some are worth it. Heated jacket being the big one. Need to upgrade my lights to HIDs though not sure if I have the juice to run aux lights. I like my stock seat, yeah a Corbin would be better, but nothing is wrong with the stock so why change it? Definitely not going to do the aux tank, that's too far down the path of fabrication than I want to travel. LOL

Heard of a possible SS/BB route from Tonopah NV to Tonopah AZ. I think that would be fun, start linking same name cities. I will have the west fully explored by the time I am done. LOL

Snake
November 22nd, 2013, 11:05 AM
Hello and welcome.