View Full Version : Lane Splitting Legal ... in Texas?!

xTKx
March 26th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Looking at my local news this morning I came across this article:

Legalizing Lane Splitting (http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/032509_Lane_Splitting_Could_Become_Law)

I, for one, think that lane splitting can potentially be a pretty significant hazard (especially for those bikers who are only thinking of themselves), but I really like the "restrictions" that they're setting up for this law.

Wearing helmet is mandatory.
Speeds of motorcyclists to be between 5 and 25 mph.
Motorcycles can go no faster than 5mph than traffic.

Granted, traffic isn't all too congested where I'm at, but there are definitely some times when traffic's at a standstill b/c of all the rubberneckers on the interstate... :mad:

Just thought I'd share with the community (and our Texas Ninjette riders) :D

BlueTyke
March 26th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Lane splitting, if done correctly, can be very beneficial.

I lived in CA, learned to ride in CA, then moved to MD... Lane splitting state to non lane splitting state. One of the things I noted though was that Tyke seems to heat up quicker in traffic. If I don't have movement/airflow then the chances of her overheating is higher. When I came across that problem in CA I laned split which brought up the air flow and cooled her down.

Though it should be noted that CA does have wider lanes...

That law will never be passed in MD... Drivers are to spastic.

xTKx
March 26th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Lane splitting, if done correctly, can be very beneficial...

...That law will never be passed in MD... Drivers are to spastic.

Exactly right! :thumbup: When used properly!!

That's what I'm afraid of here. Some driver's here are waaaaay too impatient and thus don't wait for other motorists (especially bikers).

I'm interested to see if this law passes, and how regular motorists will take it here :rolleyes:

Nemy
March 26th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Whether or not lane splitting's legal in Australia, everyone did it and it seemed to work out well. Most of the benefits should come in the form of lane filtering not actually lane splitting though - AKA when traffic is at a standstill and you move up to the front of the line.

Only thing is that drivers have to expect it. Here some of our lanes aren't the widest and the same dumbasses that don't check their blindspots like to change lanes for the sole purpose of changing lanes. Given time, it will probably become normal practice. We just need a generation of guinea pig bikers willing to sacrifice themselves lol.

BlueTyke
March 26th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Tim that second point about blind spots... That happens regardless of where. Or even if your lane splitting for that matter.

Another bonus is the less traffic though. As the bikes move up it opens up more spaces for the cars..

Snake
March 26th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Lane splitting is beneficial when at a stop light to allow bikes to go to the front and not be behind the exhaust pipes blowing at ya.

BlueTyke
March 26th, 2009, 09:25 AM
There is that too Rick! Wouldn't that be nice...

You also, while at the light, have the ability to get your hinnie out of the way of traffic coming up behind you...

Oooh how I miss lane splitting...

Cali619
March 26th, 2009, 02:11 PM
just wondering if the places that do not allow lane splitting have an many Highway Patrol on motorcycles. Im not certain but I think lane splitting was legalized here in Cali just so CHP on bikes can move through traffic easier.

GreezMunky
March 26th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Hell yeah! It passed through the Senate. I've had my eye on this bill for the last couple weeks. Here's the link if anyone else is interested.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/BillStages.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=SB506

Alex
March 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Great news! We're spoiled here in California; I'm not sure I could move to a state that doesn't permit lane-splitting at this point. I do get funny looks when I'm splitting in adjacent states, completely forgetting that it's not legal there. But I'd imagine the folks in Oregon & Nevada see it more often than folks in other parts of the country, just due to other silly California-based motorcyclists passing through from time to time.

Buffalony
March 26th, 2009, 06:06 PM
If I were a non-motorcyclist in my car in miles long bumper to bumper and a cycle goes riding by. I'm gonna look into buying a motorcycle. Save myself time, money, stress and the environment to boot.

Snake
March 26th, 2009, 06:15 PM
just wondering if the places that do not allow lane splitting have an many Highway Patrol on motorcycles. Im not certain but I think lane splitting was legalized here in Cali just so CHP on bikes can move through traffic easier.

I think that when motorcycle cops anywhere have there blue lights a flashing and the siren going they can split lanes, run red lights and do just about anything they need to to get to whomever or wherever they need to be.

xTKx
March 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Hell yeah! It passed through the Senate. I've had my eye on this bill for the last couple weeks. Here's the link if anyone else is interested.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/BillStages.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=SB506

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAHHHHH!! :D

I didn't have a chance to check the board until now .... thanks for posting the update Tor!! :thumbup:

KJohnson21
April 2nd, 2009, 11:00 PM
I'd imagine the folks in Oregon & Nevada see it more often than folks in other parts of the country, just due to other silly California-based motorcyclists passing through from time to time.

I've heard that the police in Las Vegas look for it and will ticket you in a heart-beat. I haven't tested it yet. ;)

GreezMunky
May 5th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Finally some kind of update, but I have no idea what it means.. It was taking so long I feared this bill was going to die in committee.

Anyone a little more knowledgeable on the legal system than I am?

Description Comment Date Time Journal Page

H Withdrawn from schedule 05/04/2009
H Scheduled for public hearing on . . . 05/04/2009

If it's withdrawn does that mean they're just going to try and hear it tomorrow or???

Pleaaaaase don't die Bill SB 506 :runaway2:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Actions.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=SB506

Edit
By the way, if you haven't already, please e-mail/call your reps and show your interest in this bill! Here is a site that is very helpful
http://lanesharing.forum-motion.com/lane-sharing-texas-sb506-f5/

Apex
May 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Finally some kind of update, but I have no idea what it means.. It was taking so long I feared this bill was going to die in committee.

Anyone a little more knowledgeable on the legal system than I am?

Description Comment Date Time Journal Page

H Withdrawn from schedule 05/04/2009
H Scheduled for public hearing on . . . 05/04/2009

If it's withdrawn does that mean they're just going to try and hear it tomorrow or???

Pleaaaaase don't die Bill SB 506 :runaway2:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Actions.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=SB506

Edit
By the way, if you haven't already, please e-mail/call your reps and show your interest in this bill! Here is a site that is very helpful
http://lanesharing.forum-motion.com/lane-sharing-texas-sb506-f5/
Last I heard it was going to public safety (that was back in march). Withdrawing may just mean they scheduled it for that day. I HOPE!

I want this to happen. Could be very handy when riding to school.

Techno250
May 5th, 2009, 04:35 PM
*sigh* I would love to have lane splitting permitted here in Georgia.

Me and the SO were sitting in traffic on the way to work (caged), traffic came to a standstill because of an accident in a construction zone. I noticed a couple of bikes behind us pull out and start splitting lanes, heading towards police officers just ahead. A few minutes later, they returned, going the wrong way. Apparently the cops sent them to get back in line where they started splitting. :lol:

In a way it was kinda funny. Besides, in a backup like that, there's always a cop up where the problem is.

TnNinjaGirl
May 5th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Why do cagers feel the need to open their door when they see a bike splitting? That's evil.

SpyderGirl
May 6th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I love that we can lane split here, however there are those idiots that like to do it at 75MPH+ that make it seem very dangerous. I thinks it's more dangerous sitting in traffic on a bike and risk getting rear ended in congested stop and go traffic. My mom gave me a hour long lecture on how she thinks it's dangerous and that she doesn't think that bikes should be allowed to do it and sees no purpose in it and yadda yadda... I see no problem with it as long as it's done safely and in the right situations.

SpyderGirl
May 6th, 2009, 11:44 AM
*sigh* I would love to have lane splitting permitted here in Georgia.

Me and the SO were sitting in traffic on the way to work (caged), traffic came to a standstill because of an accident in a construction zone. I noticed a couple of bikes behind us pull out and start splitting lanes, heading towards police officers just ahead. A few minutes later, they returned, going the wrong way. Apparently the cops sent them to get back in line where they started splitting. :lol:

That's pretty dumb actually.... very dangerous.

CC Cowboy
May 6th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I didn't know it was illegal. I have been doing to years.

Ramen
May 6th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I'd give my right shoe to have lane splitting in Florida.

Unfortunately, recent motorcycle legislation has been more of a clamping down nature. :(

zail
May 7th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Filtering (lane splitting) is legal here but many cagers believe it is not... hence why people sometimes move over and block your progress...

From a safety point of view sensible filtering in heavy traffuic makes sense as on a bike you can then get to the front of the traffic queue and accelerate out of the way of all the cars!

GreezMunky
May 15th, 2009, 12:43 PM
**Update**

Rescheduled for public hearing on 18 May 09

2 votes and a signature away..