View Full Version : wheel makes a squeak

Old Lemon
November 20th, 2013, 10:43 AM
so for a while now, my rear wheel has been making a small squeak at a certain point when it rotates. I only noticed it when I would clean my chain but I taught a friend how to ride yesterday and I could hear it as he rode. It also sounds like my chain makes a lot of noise as well. Are these problems?

jkv45
November 20th, 2013, 12:20 PM
so for a while now, my rear wheel has been making a small squeak at a certain point when it rotates. I only noticed it when I would clean my chain but I taught a friend how to ride yesterday and I could hear it as he rode. It also sounds like my chain makes a lot of noise as well. Are these problems?
Are you sure the chain is adjusted properly?

If you didn't locate the tightest spot before setting the tension it could be way too tight at some point. A tight chain will make noise.

Spin the wheel and see if the tension changes - does it get tight? Can you hear the noise when you spin it by hand?

Other things that could make noise in that area are wheel bearings and a dragging brake caliper.

csmith12
November 20th, 2013, 12:26 PM
^^^ this and chain lubed and clean?

alex.s
November 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM
time for a new chain

Old Lemon
November 22nd, 2013, 01:07 AM
well my chain is in spec for slack so I would assume that it is not too tight. I can hear it when i spin by hand, I can spin it, hear it, reverse a little bit and spin through that point again and it will squeak. I lube and clean my chain every 300 - 500 miles and its only a couple thousand miles old. I have some meat left in my brake pads so I wouldnt say it is a brake caliper. Say it is a wheel bearing, what could I do?

csmith12
November 22nd, 2013, 06:00 AM
Say it is a wheel bearing, what could I do?

If you believe it to be the wheel bearing then isolate it. Take the chain off the rear sprocket, take the brake caliper off while your at it. You should only be left with a wheel on an axle. If it still makes noise, you found your problem. :)

What can you do? Nothing that I know of. Well, since you have it halfway apart. Take off the wheel and have a new bearing put in. :p

Racer x
November 22nd, 2013, 07:01 AM
Are you sure its not the front wheel speedo drive?

jkv45
November 22nd, 2013, 07:52 AM
well my chain is in spec for slack so I would assume that it is not too tight. I can hear it when i spin by hand, I can spin it, hear it, reverse a little bit and spin through that point again and it will squeak. I lube and clean my chain every 300 - 500 miles and its only a couple thousand miles old. I have some meat left in my brake pads so I wouldnt say it is a brake caliper. Say it is a wheel bearing, what could I do?

I would remove the chain as Chris noted, but first I'd make a mark on the chain sideplate and sprocket at some point (aligned with the swingarm or 12 o'clock - whatever) that shows the position of the chain and sprocket when you hear the noise.

Then pull the chain off and see if you hear the noise.

If not, put the chain back on, but don't align it the same, align it 180 degrees to the other side of the sprocket and see if the noise returns - and what position the sprocket is in when it does.

It's possible you may have a damaged chain link or roller, and getting the same noise in a different position on the sprocket may help isolate the cause.

Old Lemon
November 22nd, 2013, 12:09 PM
well this is all a bit out of my league, I got a shop with good people that I think will have them take a look at it. Thanks for the help guys