View Full Version : #$@%!! dealership

sm0kediver
March 26th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I stopped by my local Kawi dealership at lunch to buy parts for my oil change. They didn't have Kawi oil, so I bought Honda (they didn't have Kawi oil last time either), and they didn't have the crush washer for the oil drain. They sold me another washer, but I don't know if it will work. They did have the filter. This is a major dealership that has a floor full of Kawasaki bikes.

$23 for a do-it-yourself oil change on a 250cc engine :hitself:

RaceBikeRentals
March 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Coulda got the oil filter and oil at Wallyworld for $10, including o-rings. I've never changed my crush washers and never had a leak :)

kkim
March 26th, 2009, 02:41 PM
yep, next time go to walmart, pick up some Rotella T 15w-40 conventional oil, then head on over to the auto parts store and pick up a compatible filter for our bikes. check the oil change DIY for a list of filters that will work with our bikes.

If you bought a Kawi filter, I doubt it has the 2 O-rings that you are supposed to change when you change the filter. if not, change the filter this time w/o changing those o-rings, but next time, buy an aftermarket filter that already comes with them, unless you enjoy being hosed by the dealer.

Now you know. :)

sm0kediver
March 26th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I've never changed a crush washer either, but this is a new bike and I'm trying to do everything just right. That'll wear off at some point. :rolleyes:

sometimesido
March 26th, 2009, 02:58 PM
dude lol, don't go to a dealer for oil change stuff.
Unless you need things like oil screen gasket, air filter, etc.(which i got cheap, no shipping)
Oh, and I got the NGK plugs for $3.50 each at Cycle Gear, when everybody else have them for $8 plus shipping.

Do your homework!

sm0kediver
March 26th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I know I know. I bought my KLR650 oil at Wal Mart...

see above: but this is a new bike and I'm trying to do everything just right. That'll wear off at some point

I was being a good little owner following the advice of my manual :o

One of the reasons I bought the bike is because I can afford it, and it'll blow the concept if I spend a kazillion $$$ at the stealership.

kkim
March 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM
enjoy the bike for now... you'll eventually end up a penny pincher like the rest of us, if not already. :)

sm0kediver
March 26th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Already there. Probably worse than any of you. I'm a single dad with four kids. I can stretch a dollar a looooong way.

HKr1
March 26th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Theres a dealer here, yamaha/honda. They never carried yamalube, just honda oil. < Cause Iam like you, use kawi oil for the kawi & yamalube for the r1. The kawi dealer, is just Kawi's here... so that was nice :)
Now that all the first couple oil changes are done, its nothing but golden-spectro in the bikes :thumbup:

Oh, I have never changed the washer or the o-rings yet .....

sometimesido
March 26th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Already there. Probably worse than any of you. I'm a single dad with four kids. I can stretch a dollar a looooong way.

Holy moly. More respect to you sir.