View Full Version : CA Auto Regs - Placement of GPS Units!!

g21-30
March 26th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Thought those of you who live in CA might be interested in this:

Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

Alex
March 26th, 2009, 05:14 PM
It's one of those laws that, like going 2 mph over the speed limit, doesn't seem to raise the ire of California LEO's. I've never heard of anybody getting a ticket for mounting their GPS (or their radar detector, or their notepad, or anything else) in the relatively conventional position of the bottom center of the windshield.

Buffalony
March 26th, 2009, 05:57 PM
The windshield isnt really in our direct view of the road ahead. Not all motorcycle have a windshield either.
This wouldnt hold up in court.

They might be able to knock those that have a device obstructing the view of the instrument cluster.

BlueTyke
March 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I haven't heard of anyone getting pulled over specificaly for this but... I have heard of people getting ticketed if you had something dangling from your rearview mirror that was considered and obstruction (Like those big fuzzy dice)

Buffalony
March 27th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I haven't heard of anyone getting pulled over specificaly for this but... I have heard of people getting ticketed if you had something dangling from your rearview mirror that was considered and obstruction (Like those big fuzzy dice)

Yeah or too many of those tree shaped air fresheners.