View Full Version : Couple questions about shimming needles

TwoSixSided
November 22nd, 2013, 07:38 PM
Hey guys, just got done shimming the needles on my 2008 250r for the first time, what a experience, its 10x better. First mod I've done to it. I uses two 3mm washers on each of the two needles, will that be perfect? I'm worried now that I don't have the performance of someone who might have used two 4mm washers instead. Or 3 washers.

My second question is, I intend on putting a danmoto carbon gp exhaust on soon, will this nake my work go unnoticed or make the performance even worse then before? Halp.

choneofakind
November 22nd, 2013, 10:08 PM
1) more fuel is only good up to a point. It's all about the mixture being supplied for a given throttle position at a given rpm. If it feels better and smoother now, leave it. Or try another washer. Stick with the number of washers that feels best for your bike. Jetting is 100% bike specific.

2) the size measurement associated with the washers is a measure of inside diameter, not of thickness. As long as the washer fits around your needle without getting stuck on the slides, it will work. Again, fatter washer is not always better. It depends on what you bike is telling you about it's fueling.

3) meh. Slipons don't do much. You'll be fine. Dan moto is cheap and obnoxious. Good luck.