View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a street-legal slip on?

Brian
November 24th, 2013, 07:50 PM
I've been thinking about buying an aftermarket exhaust slip on to replace my stock pipe. I am unsure why all the descriptions say "for track use only" when people get away with them every day. Harley's sound 20x louder than an aftermarket pipe for a 250, so is it a sound or a pollution issue? :confused:

Some of my options:

Leo Vince Carbon Fiber SBK GP Corsa (http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/Leo-Vince-SBK-GP-Corsa-SlipOn-Carbon-Fiber)
Hotbodies Carbon Fiber MGP Growler (http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/2008-kawasaki-ex250-ninja-250--Hotbodies-Racing-MGP-Growler-SlipOn-Exhaust-Carbon)
Delkevic "Mini 8" silencer" (http://www.delkevic.us/?section=shop&bike_manufacturer=kawasaki&bike_model=ex250j8f_ninja_250r_2008&product_category=exhaust_s7rhj&sub_category=silencers_kawasaki_h3a81&product=kawasaki_mini_carbon_fiber_mufflers__silencers_8andquot_200mm&variant=kawasaki_zx250r_ex250_ninja_20082011-2325)

Alex
November 24th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Practically, there's no such thing. The vast majority of aftermarket exhausts are not legal for on-road use. There are a small number of exceptions where the aftermarket company takes the pipes through the certification process, but I don't know of any of them for our ninjette. (Or any Japanese sportbike, for that matter).

Brian
November 24th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Practically, there's no such thing. The vast majority of aftermarket exhausts are not legal for on-road use. There are a small number of exceptions where the aftermarket company takes the pipes through the certification process, but I don't know of any of them for our ninjette. (Or any Japanese sportbike, for that matter). That makes sense. I think I'll be able to get away with it, since I'm new I'm not going to be shifting too high or going too fast anyways for it to be outstandingly loud. I'll probably switch it back out to the stock pipe when I go for my classes and test in the spring for my license.

Snake
November 24th, 2013, 08:44 PM
It's one of those laws that is not actively enforced unless someone complains about noise.

DEFY
November 24th, 2013, 09:15 PM
It's one of those laws that is not actively enforced unless someone complains about noise.

Like most things unless there is someone who cries wolf you can get by with it. Some cops have no issues with it but you will know if you run into the wrong one or if its time to meet quota.

Snake
November 24th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Like most things unless there is someone who cries wolf you can get by with it. Some cops have no issues with it but you will know if you run into the wrong one or if its time to meet quota.

Basically you have to ask yourself if you are willing to roll the dice and take the chance of getting caught.

Soujyu
November 24th, 2013, 09:36 PM
No, there's no such thing. Don't waste your money, as all a slip-on does is change the sound, which doesn't really matter once you have your helmet and earplugs on (you are riding with earplugs, are you?).

There is nothing wrong with riding with the stock exhaust, and I encourage folks to do so instead of splurging on worthless exhausts.

SMman
November 24th, 2013, 11:31 PM
I had a full Yoshimura steet exhaust on my SV650S.

mgentz
November 25th, 2013, 11:07 AM
The Harley exhausts you can hear are illegal. All non-stock systems are illegal.

Most states have a rule whereby ANY modification to the OEM emissions control items is subject to a fine or worse. This includes your exhaust, and some states specifically mention it. As a guy who got pulled over for a load exhaust on his truck, I can tell you that it is completely up to the specific cop pulling you over.

Trubin
November 25th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I have the growler on, supposedly the loudest exhaust for the ninjette. and yea its ridiculous at times, especially when warming it up as its prone to backfire. But I've been riding it all over NYC area and so far no issues. I think police have to have a decibel reader with them to be able to prove you're too loud. Similar to those devices they use to prove your level of tint on windows.

Brian
November 25th, 2013, 01:26 PM
I have the growler on, supposedly the loudest exhaust for the ninjette. and yea its ridiculous at times, especially when warming it up as its prone to backfire. But I've been riding it all over NYC area and so far no issues. I think police have to have a decibel reader with them to be able to prove you're too loud. Similar to those devices they use to prove your level of tint on windows. That's the exhaust I'm buying. It looks the best, sounds the best, and isn't an absurd $350-$500 for a Two Bros or Yoshi, plus it's carbon fiber, the cheapest Yoshi is still over $300..

Tigerpaw
November 25th, 2013, 02:28 PM
What about a stock exhaust from a much larger bike?

Brian
November 25th, 2013, 02:43 PM
What about a stock exhaust from a much larger bike? How would that fit my stock pipe?

Tigerpaw
November 25th, 2013, 03:05 PM
How would that fit my stock pipe?

I don't know could be the same size, or require a piece of pipe as a union between the two.

My question really was a question though, if it is legal on one bike, is it legal on another?

bfpower
November 25th, 2013, 03:05 PM
There's a thread around for pulling stock exhaust off a gixxer 750 and making it a slip-on for a 250. That's probably more illegal than anything, to be honest, since it is essentially just a tip with no noise reduction.

The legality does depend on state. My state law is "you have to have a muffler without a bypass or cutout." You can still get a ticket if you're REALLY annoying, but it would have to be based on a complaint rather than a dB meter.

All things considered though, the only reason I've ever thought of an exhaust change is because I burned the bottom of my saddlebags on the stock muffler.

Nemesis
November 25th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Yes!

It's called OEM stock muffler.

massacremasses
November 25th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Dan Moto... cheap. looks nice and sounds nice.

mgentz
November 25th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I have the growler on, supposedly the loudest exhaust for the ninjette. and yea its ridiculous at times, especially when warming it up as its prone to backfire. But I've been riding it all over NYC area and so far no issues. I think police have to have a decibel reader with them to be able to prove you're too loud. Similar to those devices they use to prove your level of tint on windows.

It was a just a judgement call by me

Brian
November 25th, 2013, 04:11 PM
I don't know could be the same size, or require a piece of pipe as a union between the two.

My question really was a question though, if it is legal on one bike, is it legal on another? Oh, it was a question or suggestion for the title. I gotcha. I'm not totally sure. I think the bike's exhaust it's built with is designed specifically for that bike's engine and how it breathes. So if you take an exhaust slip on from an R6 for example it would change some things, but definitely not anything major.

TwoSixSided
November 25th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I have the danmoto carbon gp coming in the mail, I'm in Florida. I just got done reading how you can't have any aftermarket exhausts here that mess with the volume. Do you think i'll get pulled over? I really don't see how I would when there's still gonna be, let's see.. every harley on the road being louder then me.

DEFY
November 25th, 2013, 09:26 PM
I have the danmoto carbon gp coming in the mail, I'm in Florida. I just got done reading how you can't have any aftermarket exhausts here that mess with the volume. Do you think i'll get pulled over? I really don't see how I would when there's still gonna be, let's see.. every harley on the road being louder then me.

Like the posts have said it depends, majority of the time you will have no troubles but find the wrong cop at the right time and he will have an opinion to state. Bikes are understandable to be loud cause it draws attention but that doesn't mean everyone likes it.

Brian
November 26th, 2013, 03:21 AM
So I ordered the Hotbodies Growler. I can't wait to hear it :P I am also looking at the Danmoto exhaust if I change my mind about it.