View Full Version : Shop installed K&N filter backwards

Cary26
November 28th, 2013, 07:14 PM
I went to a certain motorcycle shop in Huntington Beach, CA. I had them install my Power Commander (would have done it myself but my back pain has been worse than usual) and had them install a K&N filter while they had the body work off. I went to remove my snorkel today and noticed they install air filter in backwards.

I was going to have them put it on a dyno and fine tune the mapping. The guy showed me his dyno area and seemed knowledgeable but should I trust him. The bike seems to be running well. Should I have him do any further work?

choneofakind
November 28th, 2013, 09:56 PM
your bike is going to explode.

csmith12
November 29th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Maybe an honest mistake? To error is human. It didn't really hurt anything and problem solved. If you like the shop then sure, take it back for the tune. Just be a stand up guy and let him know what he did. Just don't be an arse about it ya know.

DeltaFoxtrotZulu
November 29th, 2013, 10:28 AM
I don't blame them. It's not very clear. The instructions are practically useless. I'm impressed they managed to get it in backwards.

Cary26
November 29th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Always some jackass with a stupid comment (chone you are an idiot)The thing is they tried to jam it in there pushing all the ridges together and they tored the wire out of one small area near the edge.
Then today was looking over bike further and they either did not tighten or forgot two screws on fairing, after that I will be taking another shop. Can anybody recommend one around Costa Mesa area in So. Cal.

Alex
November 29th, 2013, 06:23 PM
The T.O.S. you agreed to on signup is clear; a link is in my sig if you need a refresher.

Cary26
November 29th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Sorry but my temper gets the best of me sometimes.

csmith12
November 29th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Sorry but my temper gets the best of me sometimes.

We have a lot of stuff just for fun here.

choneofakind
November 29th, 2013, 10:03 PM
It's funny, because this jackass knows how to install his own air filter and doesn't pay a shop to do it wrong, unlike the one who's calling names. ;)

On a serious note, if your shop mucked up such a simple task, it's time to find a new one. There's a whole crew of users here in SoCal who do tech days occasionally. I'm sure getting to know some of those guys/gals would help you out a little.

Your bike is an '09. It's not fuel injected (http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=359) unless it has had some aftermarket modifications made. It does not have any use for a power commander. Changing the fueling is done by adjusting the innards of your carbs in a process known as 'jetting'. Look it up. Go back to your shop and have a serious talk about what you actually paid for, because they don't seem knowledgeable about your bike at all. (did you post this in the wrong section?)

In the mean time, take the filter out and make sure it's not going to drop chunks of filter material into your intake when your engine is running. If you have any doubts about the filter staying in one piece and doing its job, replace it with a filter that is in good condition.

How's that for a stupid comment?

PS. I still think your bike might 'splode.

menikmati
December 1st, 2013, 11:38 PM
Doesn't he own a 300? That would explain the PC V.