View Full Version : Engine Coolants

kennetht
December 2nd, 2013, 09:51 AM
Hey guys. I noticed my coolant level is getting to the low point, so I am going to need to refill it soon.

Being I bought my bike used, I do not know the type of coolant that is in the reservoir presently, so I will need to flush the system since it is good habit to not add different types of coolants to each other.

I was wondering if you guys have a preference on which coolants to use?

I checked the service manual and it did specify certain specs for coolants to use, so I am not exactly sure what to buy.

Based off the wiki:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_service_the_cooling_system%3F

It states I would need to add a 50/50 mixture and that the type of anti freeze needs to be ethylene glycol? Are most coolants sold premixed?

Thanks for the help.

NevadaWolf
December 2nd, 2013, 10:01 AM
Not sure if this will help as I don't know much about it but...

Based on recommendations for what is required at the track, I switched to using Engine Ice over a year ago and haven't had a problem with it.

When I took my bike in for service, I requested Engine Ice be used. Instead I ended up with something pink (Engine Ice is blue). Not to long after I got my bike back, I started noticing the pink stuff was sprayed all around the cap. Cleaned it up and the pink stuff did it again, it was almost like it was boiling over. I flushed the entire system of whatever it was and went back to using what worked for me.

Just my experience, YMMV

Teh_K
December 2nd, 2013, 10:05 AM
The wiki should have almost all the info you need - most green coolants are ethylene glycol, I believe, but check the bottle. If you don't get pre-mixed (or pre-diluted), dilute it 50/50 with distilled water only.

I like to use OEM coolant, but that's just me.

If you're gonna flush the system, run a batch or two of straight distilled water (fill it up, run it, drain, repeat). Then fill up w/ the green stuff. Also, make sure you burp/bleed the system of air before you finally cap it.

Floki
December 2nd, 2013, 10:59 AM
I would go ahead and flush it if I were you. I bought my bike used in September and flushed it with Honda coolant I think

tubarney
December 2nd, 2013, 08:21 PM
Just don't mix the two coolants. Ethylene and Propylene are the 2.

Factory/stock uses ethylene. Engine ice is propylene. You can throw Propylene down the drain. Ethylene is toxic.

Other than that you can't stuff it up.

csmith12
December 2nd, 2013, 10:10 PM
Interesting responses so far. :)

Everyone likes to use whatever products they like. As far as me and coolant on a street bike, I use the same stuff I put in my car. Normally whatever brand that is on sale late summer. 99% of the time, it's the green stuff (ethylene). They sell it 2 ways, straight and premix. Around my parts, most coolants are still sold straight and will need to be mixed. You can buy the premix if you want but your paying for 50% water. That aint my thing.

Overall, I think you been pointed in the right direction so far. Flush and fill with whatever you like. Brad is right, it's kinda hard to mess up, aside of not burping it.

Unless you bike is stored in a controlled climate over the winter, stay away from Water Wetter (pink stuff). It offers no extra "antifreeze" properties.

kennetht
December 4th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it

kennetht
March 11th, 2014, 01:12 PM
I am looking to change my coolant this weekend. Going to flush the whole system a few times since I do not know what coolant is currently in there.

So I am going to go to pepboys to pick up some coolant. Not set on any specific brand, but just to confirm, I can get any 50/50 mixture coolant?

There is no difference between a cars engine coolant, and a motorcycles engine coolant (antifreeze) correct?

Only thing I have to make sure is that the coolant is approved for aluminum cooling systems?

dcj13
March 11th, 2014, 01:37 PM
I am looking to change my coolant this weekend. Going to flush the whole system a few times since I do not know what coolant is currently in there.

So I am going to go to pepboys to pick up some coolant. Not set on any specific brand, but just to confirm, I can get any 50/50 mixture coolant?

There is no difference between a cars engine coolant, and a motorcycles engine coolant (antifreeze) correct?

Only thing I have to make sure is that the coolant is approved for aluminum cooling systems?

My opinion to your 3 questions is yes, yes, and yes. Modern coolants are made for aluminum engines. I would by the concentrated coolant (instead of the 50/50) and mix it myself, as that's less expensive. I use the green stuff in my bikes and most of my cars. (Orange is used in one of my cars).

kennetht
March 12th, 2014, 08:28 AM
My opinion to your 3 questions is yes, yes, and yes. Modern coolants are made for aluminum engines. I would by the concentrated coolant (instead of the 50/50) and mix it myself, as that's less expensive. I use the green stuff in my bikes and most of my cars. (Orange is used in one of my cars).

thanks for the recommendation. i appreciate it.