View Full Version : Bike doesn't want to start.

buhsray
December 2nd, 2013, 10:30 PM
Hello everybody, I have a 2010 Ninja 250R and for some reason, it fails to start. I just changed the oil and the bike has 822 miles on it. I am not sure if it is the battery or not because it says that there is a full charge on it before I put it back into the bike. (keep it plugged into a battery tender jr) I try to start it and it does a rapid clicking sound.
When I take the battery out, it says that it is dead again. I can kick start it, but whenever I shut it off (like at a gas station), it fails to turn on again and I have to push the thing to kick start it once again.
Is it the carbs or the battery? Bike is currently winterized.

JohnnyBravo
December 3rd, 2013, 01:19 AM
Got a multimeter?

tubarney
December 3rd, 2013, 02:25 AM
Battery.

Alex
December 3rd, 2013, 05:14 AM
Battery.

+1

Motofool
December 3rd, 2013, 06:00 AM
Is it the carbs or the battery? Bike is currently winterized.

Your battery doesn't want to push that engine.

Check its condition:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_tell_if_your_battery_is_dead

csmith12
December 3rd, 2013, 06:32 AM
Seems to be going around, I had to buy a new battery yesterday. :( $-65

I learned that when light reflects off Venus through swamp gas and hits your battery, it's no good.

jkv45
December 3rd, 2013, 07:40 AM
Does sound like the battery to me also.

Don't be fooled by a "fully charged" light. A battery can read over 12V after charging, but will instantly drop to an unusable voltage under load - which is what yours seems to be doing.

Fully charge it and check the voltage after being off the charger for a couple of hours - it should be 12.7- 12.8V.

Put it in the bike and connect it. Have a meter on the terminals when you crank the engine - it still should be 12V. If it's lower you have a weak battery.

Be sure you have fresh winter gas in it if you are trying to start it in cold temps. Old summer gas will give you problems at this point. Use 87 without Ethanol if you can find it, add stabilizer, and fill to the top.

buhsray
December 4th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Thank you for the response everyone! I do have seafoam that I bought from Walmart. Can that help me out?

csmith12
December 4th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Seafoam will not help a dead/weak battery. Last night I had some oddities with a 4 wheeler battery. Battery tested fine and sometimes starts the atv fine. Other times it's dead as a door nail after just a few tries. It's always good after a full charge for a day or 2.

Check the following;
How clean and secure are your battery terminals and wires that connect to the battery?
Does your battery require maintenance? Look on the front or back of the battery, there should be 2 lines. Ensure the battery is full of acid/water mix within the lines. This is normally white batteries with caps on the top. A battery with a low acid/water mix will never hold a charge for long.