View Full Version : cam question

mikedabike64
December 3rd, 2013, 11:08 AM
hey guys my bike is 14000 miles on it I just got it on a trade not too long ago and so far I redid the fork seals and fork oil. replace the coolant oil filter the chain sprockets, took the carbs off cleaned shimmed the needles which worked great by the way, changed the spark plugs and air filter remove the snorkel, etc.
I have to check the valve clearance and I plan on doing that very soon but I had a question about the cams,
I was thinking since my cans have 14,000 miles on it,
what I be able to replace those cans with newer cams with less miles on it because that probably took quite a beating over time. but for argument sake if they did not fall within the service limit
is that something I would be able to do or are the cams machine for a specific motor much like the head is machined.
I'm just asking if I would be able to buy a newer cams off of say a wrecked bike that might have less where on it and then do the valve clearance adjustment based on the new used cams,
I apologize if it is a stupid question but I think I am more curious than anything else

jkv45
December 3rd, 2013, 11:17 AM
If it was maintained properly there shouldn't be any reason to replace the cams at that point.

Take a look at the surface of the cams for damage (galling) from lack of oil or the wrong (auto) oil, but chances are they should be fine.

alex.s
December 3rd, 2013, 11:32 AM
don't bother unless there is something wrong with it.

mikedabike64
December 3rd, 2013, 11:54 AM
I get these stupid ideas in my head and it's nice to have sensible people to kick it around with

Motofool
December 3rd, 2013, 05:51 PM
.......are the cams machine for a specific motor much like the head is machined.
I'm just asking if I would be able to buy a newer cams off of say a wrecked bike that might have less where on it and then do the valve clearance adjustment based on the new used cams.........

No, cams are not machined to match any other part in the engine, you can just replace both camshafts or one, ..... and your question is not stupid either.

That mileage is nothing for one of these engines, if properly used and serviced.

mikedabike64
December 4th, 2013, 11:26 PM
i thank you for the response

SteveL
December 5th, 2013, 02:35 AM
If it works don't fix it.
Steve