View Full Version : Newbie from Michigan!

z28melissa
March 29th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I just picked up my first bike, a 06 250! It needs some work and I've yet to take my MSF course so it'll be a while before I can ride it. For now I'm just staring at it, collecing gear and parts, staring some more... lol... I'm looking forward to getting on the road and learning as much as I can about this bike :thumbup:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3260/3393606976_5dabcccee7.jpg

TnNinjaGirl
March 29th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Gorgeous bike!! Welcome!!

Alex
March 29th, 2009, 06:12 AM
:welcome:

z28melissa
March 29th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Gorgeous bike!! Welcome!!

Thank you!! That's the "good" side haha... it was ridden - and dumped - by a 250+ lb. man. I don't think there's a piece on the bike that doesn't have a scratch or dent :rolleyes:

Speaking of which... what are some good places to buy replacement parts? So far all I have left to buy is the left mirror, windshield and left foot peg bracket.

TnNinjaGirl
March 29th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Don't feel bad, my bike was dropped too (by me) and I only take pics of the good side. lol.

As far as parts, eBay seems to be a good bet. Though I don't have a pregen so I'm probably lying to you.

rceezy
March 29th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Hi!! Welcome... let us know how the MSF goes. Congrats on your baby! She's beautiful!

rookie
March 29th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Hi welcome to the boards.

z28melissa
March 29th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Hi!! Welcome... let us know how the MSF goes. Congrats on your baby! She's beautiful!
Will do, thank you!

Hi welcome to the boards. What part of mich. you in?

Adrian, down by Ohio!

Snake
March 29th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Welcome on board. You picked a good bike to learn to ride on.

kkim
March 29th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Aloha and welcome, Melissa.

Congrats on the bike!! As bad as this is going to sound, I'd fix only the damage that is necessary to get the bike street legal for now. The harsh reality is that during your learning phase, you will most likely drop the bike and possibly re damage the new pieces you put back on, so touch up the paint a bit, work on getting the maintenance up to date and the bike mechanically perfect, then practice, practice, practice. :)

mahalo for joining us.
:)

z28melissa
March 29th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Cool im in toledo near mich. maybe i will see you on the road sometime
Oh thats cool, I go down to Toledo quite a bit, once a week or so.

Aloha and welcome, Melissa.

Congrats on the bike!! As bad as this is going to sound, I'd fix only the damage that is necessary to get the bike street legal for now. The harsh reality is that during your learning phase, you will most likely drop the bike and possibly re damage the new pieces you put back on, so touch up the paint a bit, work on getting the maintenance up to date and the bike mechanically perfect, then practice, practice, practice. :)

mahalo for joining us.
:)

Thank you! That's the plan - getting it legal and safe. I just ordered oil, chain, tires, brake pads, foot pegs, turn signals, spark plugs, windshield... leaving the body damage as-is for now :thumbup: I make signs & vehicle graphics for a living so maybe I can strategically design some graphics to cover up the damage :lol: still brainstorming on the theme... I've got some good ideas brewing!

kkim
March 29th, 2009, 10:57 AM
cool.. smart girl. :)

post some pics of the "unpretty" side, when you are a bit more comfortable, and perhaps some here could make some suggestions, if you are open to them.

Verus Cidere
March 29th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Welcome to the boards Melissa! I definitely understand your need for new parts. I had/have the same problem. I was the 3rd owner of my bike after 1900 miles. It had already been dropped on both sides, had rash on both sides, a few cracked and broken fairing pieces, rash on exhaust, bar ends, and pegs, a dented brake pedal, and a broken footpeg bracket on the left side. I still have a few things to replace, but I did what KKim said, and just got it in working condition. I'm playing with things as I go. :D

eBay is a good place to find the stuff you're looking for. Just search around a little and you should be able to find the OEM stuff for pretty cheap. Good luck getting on the road, and have fun in your MSF class! :D

BlueTyke
March 29th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Welcome to the boards!!

noche_caliente
March 29th, 2009, 05:14 PM
welcome! When you get around to fixing her up, there are several of us on the board who have experience in that area - we'd be happy to help you out!

komohana
March 29th, 2009, 07:14 PM
aloha and welcome to da forum! :yo:

sometimesido
March 29th, 2009, 07:28 PM

z28melissa
March 30th, 2009, 05:12 AM
welcome! When you get around to fixing her up, there are several of us on the board who have experience in that area - we'd be happy to help you out!

Thank you I appreciate that! I'm sure I'll be bugging you guys all the time lol. My good friend is a motorcycle mechanic but I'd like to try to do the work myself. I wouldn't feel right having a vehicle I know nothing about mechanically. I'm a DIY-er :rolleyes:

Cali619
March 30th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Thank you!! That's the "good" side haha... it was ridden - and dumped - by a 250+ lb. man. I don't think there's a piece on the bike that doesn't have a scratch or dent :rolleyes:

Speaking of which... what are some good places to buy replacement parts? So far all I have left to buy is the left mirror, windshield and left foot peg bracket.

Ebay or cheapmotorcycleparts.com has good prices

KJohnson21
March 30th, 2009, 04:42 PM

Have fun with your MSF class. When do you think it'll happen?

z28melissa
March 30th, 2009, 05:52 PM

Have fun with your MSF class. When do you think it'll happen?

Thank you! I'm a little nervous but looking forward to it... signed up for first week of June, that was the first available.

ninjablk08
March 30th, 2009, 06:12 PM
welcome and have fun on a sweet bike

Sound Wave
March 30th, 2009, 11:33 PM
hey melissa, beautiful bike. GREAT color!!!

i guess you also own a camaro? well, welcome anyways. lol.

miks
March 30th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Welcome, lovely bike!

z28melissa
March 31st, 2009, 04:45 AM
hey melissa, beautiful bike. GREAT color!!!

i guess you also own a camaro? well, welcome anyways. lol.

Thanks! Black was my first choice and thankfully this cheapo one was black :thumbup:

I had a 94 z28 but sold it and got a corvette. I do miss the 'maro! It was a great car!

Buffalony
March 31st, 2009, 05:13 AM
Im guessing you still miss the camaro:D I have a 98 and I've loved her since day one.:o I'd love to own an old stingray someday.
Welcome to the boards. Cheapcycleparts and ebay like the other guys said.
Let us know how your MSF goes. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Sound Wave
March 31st, 2009, 11:08 AM
i am into mustangs myself. but if i ever did jump the fence, it would be for a corvette.

my friend had an 85 iroc-z camaro. polished it more than he drove it and it was in showroom condition. he sold that for a 63 split window corvette. that car was beautiful! for some jacked up reason that i will never understand, he sold that. now he has a 69 z28 camaro in perfect condition. nice car too, but.... i liked his 63 better.

z28melissa
March 31st, 2009, 04:52 PM
i am into mustangs myself. but if i ever did jump the fence, it would be for a corvette.

my friend had an 85 iroc-z camaro. polished it more than he drove it and it was in showroom condition. he sold that for a 63 split window corvette. that car was beautiful! for some jacked up reason that i will never understand, he sold that. now he has a 69 z28 camaro in perfect condition. nice car too, but.... i liked his 63 better.

Your friend has good taste :thumbup: can't beat the 69 z28.

You on the other hand... :boink:

:D

Buffalony
April 1st, 2009, 06:15 AM
http://api.ning.com/files/PQhYDSrIN1XNTqnMi5IHMMd2rkkLf-nTqiKzdRsi-Qg_/69CamaroZ28.jpg

SICK

2010 camaro takes a lot of styling ques from this era. I don't wonder why. :)

z28melissa
June 7th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Well I FINALLY got the bike fixed up enough to ride, hubby showed me what to do and I got to ride it around the yard for a few minutes. I think I'm really going to like this, can't wait for my MSF course next week! Here's the youtube vid... I know I know I need a helmet :(

bjtpmG3o8w0

Stella
June 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM
hello from Greece:thumbup::thumbup:

Cali619
June 7th, 2009, 08:55 AM
oooh naughty naughty :tongue:

Buffalony
June 7th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Well Miss...if your doing that well on grass and loose stone!! you'll be just fine out on the open road. :thumbup:
Cheers and PUT ON GEAR :D

kkim
June 7th, 2009, 01:03 PM
yes, definitely tempting fate.
:nono:

CC Cowboy
June 7th, 2009, 02:08 PM
The smile says it all, rider for life. Now make sure you have a long life. I like the gear but it looks like it's for a different kind of riding.

Sound Wave
June 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM
wow, that is a huge yard.

BlueRaven
June 7th, 2009, 05:55 PM
:welcome: :jumping30:

I sure hope that next time you're out on your bike to please wear gear even if it is just in the yard. ;)

UAV
June 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Congrats Melissa!!! I just finished the MSF course a week ago and I'm looking for a similar bike. It was a lot of fun doing the course and I learned a lot. Good luck!