View Full Version : leaked some coolant after redlining.

TwoSixSided
December 9th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Hey guys. Went about 30 miles then while going from a stop light i accidently redlined for a second which im scared hurt my engine, then when i parked it in the garage i went in and came out a little while later and there was a few drops of green liquid under my bike whichlooks like it came from a small black tube hanging down. Am i in trouble? This has never happened in 3k miles.

adouglas
December 9th, 2013, 02:49 PM
That's just a little overflow from the the expansion tank vent. Your bike got warm. No biggie.

The hose is there for precisely that reason.

Give it some Pepto Bismol and it'll feel all better.

:D

If you're freaked check the coolant level in the bottle. If it's low, add water (preferably distilled) to top it up...or a little coolant if you happen to have some. If not, it's not worth going out to buy it.

The bike, like all modern motor vehicles, has a rev limiter to prevent damage from engine overspeed. It's highly unlikely you've hurt it.

TwoSixSided
December 12th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Hm alright thanks Adouglas.. I'm still a little scared though, I barely rode it the other day and went out today and there was a little bit again, and then I took it out for about 15 miles and it dripped a couple drops. I opened the tank and sure enough it was filled up to the top.

I just find this peculiar how in 3k miles this hasn't happened before. O_o maybe it has something to do with the new danmoto carbon gp I put on? or even maybe shimming the carb needles.

mgentz
December 12th, 2013, 07:34 PM
When you say filled to the top...you mean to the line right?

alex.s
December 12th, 2013, 07:34 PM
I just find this peculiar how in 3k miles this hasn't happened before.

fluids get old. older coolant doesn't work as well, typically. when coolant doesn't work so well, it doesn't dissipate heat as well. so it gets hotter and hotter and boils and blows some coolant into the overflow container. but if that happens too much it overflows out and comes out the bottom tube.

maybe do a coolant flush and an oil change when you get around to it

TwoSixSided
December 12th, 2013, 07:57 PM
When you say filled to the top...you mean to the line right?

No I mean I take the black top off the coolant tank and it's right there at the top about to overflow. I know it isn't actually filled like that because I checked the other day and it was right where it was supposed to be inbetween low and full.

Hm interesting Alex I didn't know that. I just did an oil change about 100 miles ago, not sure how to do a coolant flush but might be worth a read, thank you.

mgentz
December 12th, 2013, 09:08 PM
You may want to lower your cold fill level a little until you find the true source. Something is causing too much fluid to flow out of the radiator. Normally I would check or replace the cap first.

TwoSixSided
December 14th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Guys its not stopping.. :l its an every day thing now. Its not puddles a good few drops after every ride whether it be 10 miles or 30. Could the fan have gone bad or something? I'm right about to sell this thing I don't want there to be anything wrong with it for the next guy. idunno what to do.

mgentz
December 14th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Try a different cap

TwoSixSided
December 14th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Alright i'll try the cap I suppose.. I just wish someone else had this problem before, don't understand how it could suddenly start happening, or a cap could suddenly go bad after 3k miles or what the heck a cap has to do with it anyways for that matter. Including some pics for relevance, it's up to the brim but the tank isn't even to the full line, the metal cap by the hose going into the radiator is also up to the brim.

http://imageshack.com/a/img826/1262/aj9w.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img13/7741/4fel.jpg

mikedabike64
December 14th, 2013, 07:15 PM
at the track on my 500r
I left early changed the coolant at home, left it on the low side of the over flow and it never happened again.
the coolant was 4 years old I think It just lost its cooling properties on a very hot day.
I also added water wetter

TwoSixSided
December 15th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Alright guys. I read the coolant guide. After filling it up I turned my bike on until the fan goes on and one problem. It never did. I waited 12 minutes of idle and no fan and then it started peeing coolant. What's my next step now?

TwoSixSided
December 16th, 2013, 07:36 AM
I guess I'm on my own.

allanoue
December 16th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Did you flush the radiator as previously suggested?

csmith12
December 16th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Did you burp it?

Boom King
December 16th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Make sure you burp all the air out like Chris said. Depending on your bike and the ambient temperature, it may not get hot enough at idle to kick on the fan; unless you're willing to stand around for a long, long time. I'm not a fan (no pun intended) of leaving the bike running idle that long unless I'm able to take it out for a proper ride right after.

jkv45
December 16th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Alright guys. I read the coolant guide. After filling it up I turned my bike on until the fan goes on and one problem. It never did. I waited 12 minutes of idle and no fan and then it started peeing coolant. What's my next step now?
No need to get the fan running.

Where is it dripping coolant from?

I would -

Remove the cap when cool. Fill the radiator. Start the engine. See if the coolant level drops. If so, fill it again (still running). After a minute, if it hasn't dropped, it will start to overflow from the radiator - no problem. Put the cap on and shut it off. Fill the overflow bottle to the "full cold" mark.

That should do it. I'd go for a ride and check the level in the tank in case of a big burp. Let it cool when you get home and check the level - it should be all the "full cold" mark again. If not, top it off.