View Full Version : Lighter Jackets?

athimmel
March 29th, 2009, 06:11 PM
OK. Here's another dumb question.

I bought a Tourmaster jacket with armor. It has a zip out lining, so it's good for winter and early spring. However, summers here can hit 110 degrees. Any ideas for a lighter jacket that will still provide protection?
Posted via Mobile Device

jonb08
March 29th, 2009, 06:24 PM
That's one of my biggest concerns when wearing my textile. I know it's not going to hold up that well to abrasion. I think the jacket that has the best mix would have to be the Alpinestars SMX Airflo Jacket (http://www.alpinestars.com/SMX_AirFlo_Leather_Jacket/pd/np/121/p/310853.html). It has a heavy price tag, but I don't think you'll be compromising abrasion resistance with this jacket. I know SBTG has a closeout on some limited sizes, so you can check there first. I will pick up one of these down the line.

wyckedflesh
March 29th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Sacramento hitting 110F for what 2-3 weeks???

j/k

Honestly, word of advice, in Arizona the number 1 cause of single motorcycle accidents during the summer months is dehydration. 110F wind is STILL 110F in temp. That is hot enough to pull the sweat from your skin. Having a non-mesh style jacket will help to keep you better hydrated. It traps the sweat in the fabric and helps to keep you cooler.

Most of the mesh jackets are rated at 80mph abrasion resistance, just to keep that in mind. Textile jackets are rated to between 100 and 110mph, with Roadcrafter one peice suits somewhere around 125mph. Leather, dependent on thickness runs anywhere from 50mph for something from Wilsons Suede and leather to 150+ for a fullsuit from one of the major manufacturers.

Now, Cortech Mesh has a good rep. I myself am wearing a Teknic Sprint Modular Jacket. It has a zip out quilted liner for those cold mornings, (hey, it IS the High Desert, it does drop down into the 20's on occasion and we even get to watch snowfall in town every once in a while). The outer liner also zips off revealing a mesh jacket. I personally don't feel all that comfortable in just mesh, and I have ridden regularly when its been 115-120 for a week at a time. This time, the armor included in the jacket makes me feel a little better about it.

I do need to replace my coolvest though, its a vest that has veins running through it of something along the lines of Blue Ice, I throw it in the freezer over night and it stays cold for about an hour, which is long enough for me to get to a high elevation where the temp crawls down to the 80's and 90's.

sometimesido
March 29th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I've had my Joe Rocket mesh jacket since 2006. It has kept me cool in humid Georgia summers. C.E. rated shoulder, elbow, and back armor.

My riding friends ask me why I wear a jacket in the middle of summer, I say it's just as cool as wearing a tshirt at speed and have protection...

athimmel
March 29th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Actually, Sacramento stays over 90 for a couple of months or more each summer. Hot stuff!
Posted via Mobile Device

jonb08
March 29th, 2009, 07:13 PM

j/k

Honestly, word of advice, in Arizona the number 1 cause of single motorcycle accidents during the summer months is dehydration. 110F wind is STILL 110F in temp. That is hot enough to pull the sweat from your skin. Having a non-mesh style jacket will help to keep you better hydrated. It traps the sweat in the fabric and helps to keep you cooler.

Most of the mesh jackets are rated at 80mph abrasion resistance, just to keep that in mind. Textile jackets are rated to between 100 and 110mph, with Roadcrafter one peice suits somewhere around 125mph. Leather, dependent on thickness runs anywhere from 50mph for something from Wilsons Suede and leather to 150+ for a fullsuit from one of the major manufacturers.

Now, Cortech Mesh has a good rep. I myself am wearing a Teknic Sprint Modular Jacket. It has a zip out quilted liner for those cold mornings, (hey, it IS the High Desert, it does drop down into the 20's on occasion and we even get to watch snowfall in town every once in a while). The outer liner also zips off revealing a mesh jacket. I personally don't feel all that comfortable in just mesh, and I have ridden regularly when its been 115-120 for a week at a time. This time, the armor included in the jacket makes me feel a little better about it.

I do need to replace my coolvest though, its a vest that has veins running through it of something along the lines of Blue Ice, I throw it in the freezer over night and it stays cold for about an hour, which is long enough for me to get to a high elevation where the temp crawls down to the 80's and 90's.

Wow. If those ratings are true then I feel confident in my Teknic Supervent Pro (http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4956). I've worn this jacket in 90 degree weather and it really has great airflo and keeps me cool. It also matches my Violator. :D

wyckedflesh
March 29th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Actually, Sacramento stays over 90 for a couple of months or more each summer. Hot stuff!
Posted via Mobile Device

We run over 100 most of the summer and average 6-8 weeks over 110F

kkim
March 29th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Mikel,

where are you getting your ratings from? This is from my owners manual for the AS Roadcrafter 1 piece suit...

Your Aerostich Roadcrafter Suit is not a crash-proof riding suit or a substitute
for competition leathers. However, it will provide significant abrasion
protection when fit, maintained and used properly.
Our research, testing and experience have shown that in average crash
conditions, at speeds under 40-60 MPH, Roadcrafter suits are usually only
scuffed. As crash speeds exceed this level, suits may require varying degrees of
repair.

I hightly doubt mesh will stand up to 80 mph crashes.

OldGuy
March 29th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I've got a First Gear MeshTeK jacket I wear when summer hits Nebraska and a TourMaster Textile for winter and cool weather. I've worn the MeshTeK in the 90's last sumer without a problem and the TourMaster and liner in the 20's this winter (just remember to have all the vents closed because it will get cold - :eek:)

wyckedflesh
March 29th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Mikel,

where are you getting your ratings from? This is from my owners manual for the AS Roadcrafter 1 piece suit...

Your Aerostich Roadcrafter Suit is not a crash-proof riding suit or a substitute
for competition leathers. However, it will provide significant abrasion
protection when fit, maintained and used properly.
Our research, testing and experience have shown that in average crash
conditions, at speeds under 40-60 MPH, Roadcrafter suits are usually only
scuffed. As crash speeds exceed this level, suits may require varying degrees of
repair.

I hightly doubt mesh will stand up to 80 mph crashes.

That is not an easy question to answer. Some of it is inside information from crash testing that was done, some of it is actually published from independent testing. Some of it is information that some of the track days use to decide what is and isn't allowable, based on crash testing.

Basically, when they build the gear, they look at its target market. If a bunch of kids wearing mesh jackets started hitting the freeway at 60-70 mph and their mesh jackets became insta-shred, how many lawsuits can you see happening? Now if those same kids hit the freeway at 80+ in mesh, what is the chance the lawsuit would get thrown at the manufacturer? It is still there, but not as common.

Even still, how many people actually crash in the perfect manner where they just fall off the bike and slide until they stop? Its the tumbling that gets you, regardless of what gear your wearing, because its the tumbling that causes the jacket to move around you, shift up and not cover your back, or the elbow armor get shifted down below your elbow. That is why it is called "Abrasion Resistance Rating". Its a rule of thumb. If you don't plan on riding over 80, then mesh is cool, if you do, seriously look for something else.

Snake
March 29th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I have a Joe Rocket (Phoenix 4.0) mesh jacket. Lets air in but still has protective armour. I gets to 100 and 98percent humidity and I don't overheat in it.

TrueFaith
March 29th, 2009, 08:37 PM
What kind of TourMaster jacket do you own? I've worn my TourMaster Intake jacket in close to 100-degree heat. It's mesh with 2 linings, waterproof & Thinsulate. Without the linings it still has the armor but nothing at all to impeade the flow of air and is very cool in hot weather.

athimmel
March 29th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Jett series 2. I get hot sitting at a stop light for a few minutes at 70 degrees. And, yes, the lining is out. LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

TrueFaith
March 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM
You gotta get a mesh jacket then. A good mesh jacket over a t-shirt will sometimes feel like you're not even wearing a jacket, but the protection is still there. You can even get a chill if it's in the 70s and I only take all the liners out of mine on the hottest days. Seems like there are more choices in fabric and mesh jackets these days than there are leather.

paterick4o8
March 29th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I say you don't sacrifice your skin and still stick with leather.. personally I'd rather sweat than bleed. Some also wear UnderArmor underneath to help whick away moisture from sweat.

IMO, just pick up a leather jacket that's perforated; they're a little lighter than non-perforated leather and work well for keeping you cool.. I wanted to buy this one. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/20103/ITEM/Teknic-Violator-Jacket.aspx?SiteID=CSE_GBase_039&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=20103 which is perforated pretty much everywhere, but was hard to find a good deal and my size. I went this the AlpineStars MX-1 Cycle Gear exclusive edition, perforated just on the arms but works good for me.

pic: http://www.hondaofbournemouth.co.uk/resources/i.aspx?p=/Product/productImage/4786/ProductDetailImage/MX1%20LTH%20JK%20FR.jpg

NICUNinja
March 30th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I wear a Joe Rocket textile jacket (remove the liner) with my Joe Rocket Alter Ego textile pants (again taking out the liner in warm weather). I am usually cold when others are complaining of being warm/hot. But I like my armour. I have no idea on the ratings in regards to going down but I do like the padding/amount of armour in both of my jackets and pants.

BlueTyke
March 30th, 2009, 06:40 AM

j/k

Honestly, word of advice, in Arizona the number 1 cause of single motorcycle accidents during the summer months is dehydration. 110F wind is STILL 110F in temp. That is hot enough to pull the sweat from your skin.

Pssst wear a Camelback :) Ride and drink at the same time! :D

Cali619
March 30th, 2009, 06:41 AM
mesh jacket with the built in body armor is what I use on hot days, any jacket I would think has vents to help cool a bit but any jacket. Just have water or a sport drink with you to keep hydrated.

wyckedflesh
March 30th, 2009, 07:26 AM

Psst...your body can't process the water fast enough to counter the loss at the temps that hit here unprotected :thumbup:

Seriously, the wind at highway speed can wick the sweat from your skin so fast it really isn't funny. You also don't realize your that dehydrated until you stop. Even with my jacket on, sweating up a storm, I can pound a large Camelback by the time I get to my first road stop.

sometimesido
March 30th, 2009, 07:28 AM
buy, fill, and drink more!

xTKx
March 30th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Wow. If those ratings are true then I feel confident in my Teknic Supervent Pro (http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4956). I've worn this jacket in 90 degree weather and it really has great airflo and keeps me cool. It also matches my Violator. :D

Looks a lot like the Teknic Freestyle (http://www.newenough.com/browse/view_product_images/2674) I bought, only there are zippered spots in the "air vent" location on yours. There's also a 6 or 7 inch zipper that runs along the inside of the arms that, when opened, has a mesh slot for air to pass through. :thumbup:

OldGuy
March 30th, 2009, 02:43 PM

Psst...your body can't process the water fast enough to counter the loss at the temps that hit here unprotected :thumbup:

Seriously, the wind at highway speed can wick the sweat from your skin so fast it really isn't funny. You also don't realize your that dehydrated until you stop. Even with my jacket on, sweating up a storm, I can pound a large Camelback by the time I get to my first road stop.

Hydration is a serious issue and even more important in the summer. Whether you are on a bicycle providing the motive power or a motorcycle enjoying the wind you need to drink. If you stay ahead of the curve either a Camelback or stopping to drink will work. But, once your are thirsty you are already behind the curve. Stay in the shade, drink at least 16 oz or so of water or sports drink and enjoy the rest before you go on.

The effects of dehydration on your thought process can be as bad as :drinkpals: and riding. You will make stupid decisions.

DirtyBoy
March 30th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I just bought a Dainese Airflo 2 mesh jacket today https://www.motoliberty.com/prod_detail.asp?Prod_ID=1004 . I got it for $185 otd at cycle gear using a 15% off coupon. I also have a Dainese perforated leather jacket and even that's too warm to use now during the day. I used a Joe Rocket textile jacket last summer and found that it to still be too hot even with thier new wind tunnel design. Although mesh offers the least protection, it's still better than a t shirt which is what i would end up wearing some days. A nice thing about Dainese is that thier elbow pads extend to your forearms, something that I have not seen in any other brand I have tried. Bad thing is they don't come with even a foam back protector.

athimmel
May 19th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Well, it got over 100 degrees again on Sunday, so I went down to CycleGear to find if there was anything I could use. I ended up getting a Motoboss AirSpeed4. It has a lot of mesh and a lot of armor. It isn't perfect, but for $119 it does the job.

Cali619
May 19th, 2009, 09:29 AM
the last weekend I rode with some forum members(KJohnson21, ManyCavies,
FroggyGreenInSD) and saw cool vests that have inserts that have some frozen pack inserts. In the case you prefer leather, maybe invest in one. I use mesh but then again im not in constant 100+ degree weather. If I do happen to be in some its not for long and ride west or to higher elevation to get cooler.

paterick4o8
May 19th, 2009, 09:29 AM
^ cool. not bad for mesh

I was in Sonoma for the AMA superbike on Sunday. man it was HOT. if you don't want to buy under armor to wear under your gear, I can vouch that a Rash Guard, like the one's surfers and body boarders wear at the beach, is also sufficient. I wicked away the sweat and was better than wearing a shirt under my jacket