View Full Version : Race Bike Build

Mark Cook
December 14th, 2013, 04:21 PM
OK since I'm working on building up a little racer too, I'll add to the merriment.
Here is what I've started with.
Basically a pretty rashed street bike with about 8500 miles on it.

Mark Cook
December 14th, 2013, 04:26 PM
At home in the shop.

Mark Cook
December 14th, 2013, 04:28 PM
And the Teardown begins.

Mark Cook
December 14th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Forks being prepped for emulators, springs and preload caps.

Mark Cook
December 14th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Quick mockup with bodywork to drill mounting holes.
This was a cheapy set off of ebay. Not bad for the cost.
Mounted forks to check for fitment of woodcraft clip-ons.

Mark Cook
December 14th, 2013, 04:33 PM
And as it sits today.
Now to get started on stripping out the wiring harness and putting it all back together.

CC Cowboy
December 14th, 2013, 06:36 PM
So I'm following your progress. I look at each of your posts and noticed the time stamp on each and the amount of work done. Damn, you're fast at this rebuild. At this rate you should be done at about 10:00 tonight.

Mark Cook
December 14th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Mad skillz!

Mark Cook
December 15th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Pretty busy in the garage today.
Installed the woodcraft clipon riser spacers. I'll see if I truly need them when the triples arrive.
Installed the Moto X rearsets on the frame.
Fabbed up an engine stand, and tore down the top end for inspection. The cylinders look crappy, so I need to figure something out for a replacement. Will need to keep things stock for MCRA legality.
Installed the woodcraft sharkfin.
Also installed the tapered steering bearing races.
Overall a productive day.
More parts should arrive next week to allow more progress.

NINJosh.
December 16th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Pretty busy in the garage today.
Installed the woodcraft clipon riser spacers. I'll see if I truly need them when the triples arrive.
Installed the Moto X rearsets on the frame.
Fabbed up an engine stand, and tore down the top end for inspection. The cylinders look crappy, so I need to figure something out for a replacement. Will need to keep things stock for MCRA legality.
Installed the woodcraft sharkfin.
Also installed the tapered steering bearing races.
Overall a productive day.
More parts should arrive next week to allow more progress.

hey Mark, i'm assuming the "sharkfin" is the thing mounted on the swing arm, what is that for exactly?
also, could you hook me up with a picture of your upper frame crossmember. it kinda looked in one of your photos that yours is crooked the OPPOSITE direction that mine is. i was kind of worried about mine being crooked at first, but the more frames i look at the more they all just look crooked.
the picture makes mine look a little worse than it really is but you see what i'm getting at.
good work man, can't wait to see it all put back together!

Mark Cook
December 16th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Sure thing. I'll head out to the garage later and take a shot.

The sharkfin is to protect in a crash in case your hand or foot gets caught in the chain.

Mark Cook
December 17th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Let me know if this helps.

hey Mark, i'm assuming the "sharkfin" is the thing mounted on the swing arm, what is that for exactly?
also, could you hook me up with a picture of your upper frame crossmember. it kinda looked in one of your photos that yours is crooked the OPPOSITE direction that mine is. i was kind of worried about mine being crooked at first, but the more frames i look at the more they all just look crooked.
the picture makes mine look a little worse than it really is but you see what i'm getting at.
good work man, can't wait to see it all put back together!

NINJosh.
December 20th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Let me know if this helps.

well, your's looks pretty good. it's definitely angled the same direction if it's angled at all. it look different in one of your early photos from the side of the frame. thanks again man!

krakatak
December 20th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Looks like fun. If you need an extra set of hands, let me know. Glad that the rules are sorted out for next season, can't wait for the racing to resume...

JohnnyBravo
December 20th, 2013, 08:02 PM
I love da builds :thumbup:

Mark Cook
December 20th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Yeah I'll have my hands full after Sunday.
SV motor will be done, and I'll start on the SV/Ducati hybred.
Let's see... What else can I build?

Looks like fun. If you need an extra set of hands, let me know. Glad that the rules are sorted out for next season, can't wait for the racing to resume...

Mark Cook
December 27th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Brief update as parts start arriving.
Triples and forks have been mounted as well as clip-ons. Will have to wait till I get the bike further along so I can sit on it and get the bar angles and heights correct. I really dislike the bodywork limitations with the clip-ons though...

r6boater
December 27th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Cut it. Draik run clip-ons sans risers but we had to cut the bodywork to get them to be able to work.

Mark Cook
December 27th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I'm considering that, but will need to wait until I get closer to completion before I start cutting...

Cut it. Draik run clip-ons sans risers but we had to cut the bodywork to get them to be able to work.

Greenlawnracing
January 5th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Looks great! Where did you get the fork caps?

r6boater
January 6th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Looks great! Where did you get the fork caps?

Sling Shot Racing sells them.

shane liberty
January 6th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Fun build man.

Whatever you do DO NOT CUT THE SUBFRAME!!!!

Seems like a great idea to shave weight and to avoid the subframe smacking the ground and bending, but it's illegal. You're not allowed to chop up or shorten the frame in many supersport rules from different organizations. A couple of us, ahem, have made this mistake. :(

Mark Cook
January 6th, 2014, 10:27 AM
It's actually legal here in St. Louis with MCRA. I still may cut it, but need to look closer at how strong the tail will be without the rear mounting points...

Fun build man.

Whatever you do DO NOT CUT THE SUBFRAME!!!!

Seems like a great idea to shave weight and to avoid the subframe smacking the ground and bending, but it's illegal. You're not allowed to chop up or shorten the frame in many supersport rules from different organizations. A couple of us, ahem, have made this mistake. :(

Mark Cook
January 6th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Some progress yesterday since it was snowing like crazy.
Engine is bolted back together and bolted in the frame. Exhaust test fitted as well.

Greenlawnracing
January 6th, 2014, 05:37 PM
It's actually legal here in St. Louis with MCRA.

True, but you make a trip to CMRA or CCS which are in your backyard (ok, more like left field) and you won't be legal in some classes.

Mark Cook
January 6th, 2014, 06:31 PM
I realize that, but since MCRA decided to have their own 250 rules that don't align with any other organization, I'm pretty much stuck with their series. I don't have any plans to race it in CCS, CMRA, or WERA anyway. I have too many extra curricular activities as it is now, so the 5 or 6 MCRA weekends will have to suffice.

True, but you make a trip to CMRA or CCS which are in your backyard (ok, more like left field) and you won't be legal in some classes.

DCMoney
January 7th, 2014, 07:48 AM
I realize that, but since MCRA decided to have their own 250 rules that don't align with any other organization, I'm pretty much stuck with their series. I don't have any plans to race it in CCS, CMRA, or WERA anyway. I have too many extra curricular activities as it is now, so the 7 or 8 MCRA weekends will have to suffice.

Fixed it for you!

Mark Cook
January 7th, 2014, 08:34 AM
:)

Fixed it for you!

NINJosh.
January 21st, 2014, 04:26 PM
hey mark, are those armour bodies plastics? that's what i'm using. couple questions for ya. i see there that with the upper mounted up you don't have the top fairing bracket bolted on, are you going to put that back in at any point or are you gonna go without it. i was looking at mine today, and i guess it doesn't really seem all that necessary. also, did you have trouble getting your tail section on? i was trying to get mine on and there is no way it will go over the cross member in the subframe. i don't want to force it, i feel like i'm going to break it. am i missing some trick to this? i bought the bike without the plastics so i have no idea how the stock ones fit or where they mounted up, and definitely no idea how these ones should go back on. any tips?
thanks man.

simook
January 22nd, 2014, 01:41 PM
Great build so far! Could you show more pictures of how you mounted the rear reservoir? It looks as if you have it inside the tail fairing.

DCMoney
January 22nd, 2014, 01:45 PM
Great build so far! Could you show more pictures of how you mounted the rear reservoir? It looks as if you have it inside the tail fairing.

Its just tygon 2375 tubing a cap and some clamps.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1471335_10202677981813889_423112750_n.jpg

If your interested I've got a kit ill sell for $12 shipped.

simook
January 22nd, 2014, 01:49 PM
I see, it looked as if you still had the stock rear reservoir attached. I need to rear over the rules again and see if I can do away with the stock reservoir.

cbinker
January 22nd, 2014, 02:45 PM
looking good, wish i had the space to work on my 250r like that.

Aodrn
January 23rd, 2014, 06:56 AM
Ok, school me on the advantage of removing the resevoir. Is the tubing that much lighter?

DCMoney
January 23rd, 2014, 10:07 AM
Ok, school me on the advantage of removing the resevoir. Is the tubing that much lighter?

I didn't do it for the weight savings, with my rear sets and riser plates the stock hose was rubbing on the rear wheel wearing a hole in the hose protective liner.

Plus it looks better.

Aodrn
January 23rd, 2014, 10:09 AM
Form and function. I like it.

Mark Cook
January 24th, 2014, 08:47 PM
The reservoir removal for me, is simplicity and weight reduction/cleanup.
Anything that I can get away with eliminating goes in the trash can.
It all ads up.
Mark

Mark Cook
January 24th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Josh,
This was just a cheap set off of ebay.
I don't have an upper fairing bracket fabbed up yet, but I will be making an aluminum one to hold the upper in place. I think even though it's pretty solid as it is, once you get up to speed it will need support.
The tail is a bit of a PITA to get on, but it will go. Just had to figure out the way to make it fit. Patience.

hey mark, are those armour bodies plastics? that's what i'm using. couple questions for ya. i see there that with the upper mounted up you don't have the top fairing bracket bolted on, are you going to put that back in at any point or are you gonna go without it. i was looking at mine today, and i guess it doesn't really seem all that necessary. also, did you have trouble getting your tail section on? i was trying to get mine on and there is no way it will go over the cross member in the subframe. i don't want to force it, i feel like i'm going to break it. am i missing some trick to this? i bought the bike without the plastics so i have no idea how the stock ones fit or where they mounted up, and definitely no idea how these ones should go back on. any tips?
thanks man.

Mark Cook
May 6th, 2014, 09:30 PM
OK, I've skipped a bunch of steps but if you're on the FB you can see progress there.
https://www.facebook.com/mark.cook1/media_set?set=a.10202937577985289.1073741828.1378480085&type=3
I made the folder public, so you should be able to see the photos.

A few more things to do, and I'll be relatively satisfied with it.
Made 35hp on the dyno. Not too shabby.

bitaria
May 7th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Made 35hp on the dyno. Not too shabby.

35hp is pretty high for a Ninja 250. Obviously depends on the dyno, conditions at the time etc., but seems that ~31-32hp is more inline with "supersport" build on pump gas.

Do you mind sharing any power related mods? (airbox, oil weight, jetting)

Mark Cook
May 7th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Understandable on the Dyno. There was also another 250 dynoed there and it made 33-34, so it could be how he has the dyno set up.
No huge tricks for the setup. No airbox, Factory jet kit and area P exhaust.
Bone stock internals.

35hp is pretty high for a Ninja 250. Obviously depends on the dyno, conditions at the time etc., but seems that ~31-32hp is more inline with "supersport" build on pump gas.

Do you mind sharing any power related mods? (airbox, oil weight, jetting)

subxero
May 7th, 2014, 08:47 AM
what about drive train? You still have 520 chain? Did you go with aluminum rear sprocket? OEM wheels?

Mark Cook
May 7th, 2014, 09:18 AM
415 chain kit. OEM wheels.

what about drive train? You still have 520 chain? Did you go with aluminum rear sprocket? OEM wheels?

subxero
May 7th, 2014, 09:28 AM
^ Cool, I wonder how much power at the wheel this is worth

bitaria
May 7th, 2014, 10:01 AM
^ Cool, I wonder how much power at the wheel this is worth

Another option is to run light sprokets and a non-o-ring chain. We did some research and looks like a light 520 chain works about as well as a 415, and lasts a bit longer.

So sounds like there is no airbox? Are you running a pod filter setup?

alex.s
May 7th, 2014, 10:07 AM
theres no way a stock internals ninja 250 is making above 32hp on pump gas

subxero
May 7th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Another option is to run light sprokets and a non-o-ring chain. We did some research and looks like a light 520 chain works about as well as a 415, and lasts a bit longer.

So sounds like there is no airbox? Are you running a pod filter setup?

That's what he is doing. He is running 415 sprocket conversion with the non-o-ring chain

Pretty sure the kit comes with an aluminum rear sprocket, so you save good bit of rotational mass there along with the mass of the lighter chain = a little more power to the wheel.... but how much is the question?

mgentz
May 7th, 2014, 06:21 PM
theres no way a stock internals ninja 250 is making above 32hp on pump gas

Yea...I'm pretty sure all the builders are calling bs on this one. those mods would be about 32 at best.

Good looking bike though with a nice looking paint job. Glad to see this coming along.

Mark Cook
May 7th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Go easy guys, it's not my dyno and I did not calibrate it. Those were the numbers.
Another 250 with air box got 33-34, so maybe it's a little high I dunno.
To compare my superbike sv made 95hp. Which is right about where it should be for the mods I have in it.
Ultimately I'll see how strong this is in two weeks. I'll let you know how well it pulls.

Yea...I'm pretty sure all the builders are calling bs on this one. those mods would be about 32 at best.

Good looking bike though with a nice looking paint job. Glad to see this coming along.