View Full Version : Is this a battery problem?

buhsray
December 17th, 2013, 12:53 AM
I-yxjRJyNLc

Alex
December 17th, 2013, 02:16 AM
Yes. That's a completely discharged battery. It's not clear whether the battery is dead and needs to be replaced, or just needs to be fully charged and can still function normally afterwards.

buhsray
December 17th, 2013, 02:29 AM
Yes. That's a completely discharged battery. It's not clear whether the battery is dead and needs to be replaced, or just needs to be fully charged and can still function normally afterwards.
Thanks for responding quickly Alex. The battery charges quickly to 100% according to my Battery Tender Jr, but it dies after maybe 2 tries at starting it.

Motofool
December 17th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Thanks for responding quickly Alex. The battery charges quickly to 100% according to my Battery Tender Jr, but it dies after maybe 2 tries at starting it.

It seems that Amp-h is diminished.
If you have a voltmeter:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_tell_if_your_battery_is_dead

Bones85
December 17th, 2013, 05:54 AM
How old is the battery and has the bike ever sat a long time without using a battery tender? As far as I know, battery tenders are for maintaining the charge of a good battery and that they can't revive dead batteries.

SteveL
December 17th, 2013, 07:17 AM
As the instrument lights stayed on with out flickering it does not look like the battery. Measure the voltage on the battery terminals then try to crank the motor if the volts stay up look for bad connections on the starter motor circuit.

Steve

csmith12
December 17th, 2013, 08:26 AM
As the instrument lights stayed on with out flickering it does not look like the battery. Measure the voltage on the battery terminals then try to crank the motor if the volts stay up look for bad connections on the starter motor circuit.

Steve

I am kinda with you, could be the starter celluloid. Have you tried a jump start from a non-running car?

jkv45
December 17th, 2013, 10:27 AM

Steve

I agree with Steve also - if the battery voltage bottomed-out the dash lights should dim way down or go out completely when you hit the button.

I'd check the voltage anyway (sitting and cranking), but I'd look closer at all of the battery connections and connections at the starter.

It could also be a starter issue where the drive is not engaging.

buhsray
December 17th, 2013, 07:12 PM
This battery was in the bike when I purchased it. The bike has been sitting there since September and I only rode it three times. All of the connections are good so I'll try to buy a new battery and see if that fixes my problem. The lights have flickered and dimmed after maybe 3 tries at starting it.

allanoue
December 17th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Take the battery to a auto parts store like advanced auto. They can test the battery (free) to see if it can hold a charge. If the battery is bad then get a new one.

jkv45
December 17th, 2013, 09:14 PM
This battery was in the bike when I purchased it. The bike has been sitting there since September and I only rode it three times. All of the connections are good so I'll try to buy a new battery and see if that fixes my problem. The lights have flickered and dimmed after maybe 3 tries at starting it.
Test it first.

buhsray
December 26th, 2013, 10:36 PM
The battery had a bad cell so I bought a new one. My ninjette started right up! Thanks for all of the support!

Alex
December 26th, 2013, 10:50 PM
:thumbup: