View Full Version : First long ride...tips please!

M-Oorb
March 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Ok this is really a two part thread. A little background of me as a rider first. I'm a 20 year old and this little ninjette is my first bike. I've owned the bike for almost a year but due to the fact that I live in florida(where my bike is) and go to school in New Jersey i get to ride very seldom, I have about 1500 miles on my bike so far :rolleyes:.

I'm taking classes this summer at school and I really wanna bring my bike up since one of my friends is also getting a 250 and florida roads have gotten boring to ride on(if you live or have ever been there you know what I mean...all straight as an arrow) What I plan on doing is ride from my house...about 30 min north of Ft. Lauderdale...to Sandford Florida...right outside of Orlando. I then plan to catch the auto train and put my bike on it. The train takes me right to the Virginia side of DC. I then will ride from basically DC to New Brunswick New Jersey. Now here is the real catch. One of the rules for me getting a bike was no riding on rt 95 or the turnpike. Can't really fight with the parents about it since they bought the bike and pay the insurance. So i map quested to find out how to go and how long it would take me w/o going on either road. Each leg of the trip will be about 220 miles at about 4.5 hours. Longgg time. My next longest ride would have been a one hour ride.

So the first question is one of skills that I should use while traveling on such long distances and probably still on some main highways. Skills such as how to stay comfortably...how long to go in between rests(what do you guys do?). I've also riden in rain like once or twice but this may occur...so tips? Anything other riding tips would be great!

Next is a question of what should I bring with me and what should I equip my bike with. Right now for a long journey I own...
Garmin Nuvi GPS
Zero Gravity Double Bubble
Front sprocket changed for better Highway riding(1 different from stock...i forgot:o)
IPOD
AAA

What I think i would buy for this trip:
Some type of saddle bag(suggestions?
Tank Bag(suggestions?)
Cramp Buster
Clock
Some sort of mod to my seat(Sorry Kkim cant shell out for a corbin right now...but you could send me yours...PM me for my address :o)
Maybe a camel pack
Some of those Wal-Mart stick on mirrors

Any other ideas of what I should bring would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the long post...just prepping myself for the long rideeeee. Hopefully this thread will be hopeful to other noobs about to take their first long ride :thumbup:

00v_Lucky
March 30th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I don't know if it is hot over there right now but something a friend of mine told me was to keep your zipper down when riding and feels really good lol. Just remember to zip it back up! (I personally never tried it yet because it has not gotten soo hot to that point where I need some extra breeze)

Verus Cidere
March 30th, 2009, 10:33 PM
On the temperature note, definitely bring something that protects you but can keep you cool. It's really helpful on a long, open highway. On the other extreme of this is that you should bring several extra layers of clothing as well. If you think it might rain, and you're gonna be riding for 4 hours in it, you need to stay warm and dry! Make it a point to do so.

I'd definitely suggest some sort of way to pack things like those extra layers, water, snacks, etc. I don't know much about saddle bags, but a backpack would definitely work for that. You could throw a battery powered clock in there too and check when you take breaks (that is, if you're too cheap to buy a $10 walmart watch of course :p).

For comfort, I know that the new gen bikes are supposed to have EXTREMELY uncomfortable seats, especially on longer rides. My suggestion from my slight experience on long distance rides would be, pick a distance (it doesn't need to be an overly short distance, just something bearable). Every time you hit that distance, pull over (NOT on the open highway!) and stretch your legs. That's been the biggest miscomfort for me on longer rides. Stretch your back too, because tucking (which I'm only assuming you're planning to do) can cramp you up like nobody's business. Wrists should be on the agenda as well. Heck, just do a full body stretch! :D

Also, be sure to decide before you leave where the best places to get gas are, based on what mileage you're getting. Never a good idea to get caught in the middle of nowhere without gas!

Finally, on the skills side, the safety cushion is the most important thing to have on the highway. Give yourself as much space as possible between anything around you, especially big rigs. If you need to pass them, GET PAST THEM FAST! If they pass you, ease up a bit so they can get a bit ahead. Don't think you have to pull some sort of speed record for 250s out there! Keep it at a manageable, safe, and legal speed. ;)

Oh, and have fun out there. Make sure to take a camera to get some pics of the scenery, if there's good scenery to be scene! :p :D

(Those members who know more about this stuff, correct whatever mistakes I just said! Thanks! :D)

Alex
March 30th, 2009, 10:43 PM
For comfort, I know that the new gen bikes are supposed to have EXTREMELY uncomfortable seats, especially on longer rides.

Bah humbug, the seats are fine. :) It's no touring bike, but there isn't a sportbike on the market with a more comfortable seat than the ninjette's (though there are quite a few with less comfortable seats).

To the OP, sounds like you're thinking this through and have the right attitude. You already have everything you'd need to make a 4 to 5 hour trip on a bike; in the scheme of things that's not a particularly long ride. There are a number of tankbag, saddlebag, and tailpack recommendations on this board, check out the farkles section and there should be some good ideas for you. If you're traveling light, you could probably make do with just a tankbag and a backpack, but riding with a backpack can potentially be a little more tiring depending on how full it is and your preferred riding position.

There's really nothing you need to worry about from the bike's perspective to do this; she's ready and willing; you may just need to work yourself up to it. Once you get back to your bike, take a few 1 hr rides. Then 2 hr rides. Then 3 hr rides. Then you're there, and you'll realize it's not as bad as you may have thought.

Nemy
March 30th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Ya I would say get more practice in for longer rides, esp in the rain if it's not an area you're comfortable in. Otherwise, you can always stop for a coffee when the storm clouds hit. A change from 1 hour rides to full day riding can get pretty tiring so make sure you relieve your arms/legs every now and then by pulling over or just simple stretches while you're riding.

Luggage is totally up to you and how much stuff you want to bring along. How many days are you planning for this trip? Cause that'll have an impact on your decision as well. My list might be a bit exhaustive if your trip is only a day or two but the key things you might want to add are: first aid kit and earplugs/mp3 player. O and a tire patch kit and/or AAA if you don't already have it.

Sounds like fun though! Have fun!

Chain Lube
Chain Cleaner
Batter Tender Jr.
Oil
Oil Filter
Tire Pump
Tire Patch Kit
Extra Visor
Torque Wrench
First Aid Kit
Flashlight
Earplugs
Chain Adjuster and ruler
Snack bars
Toilet Paper
Thermal Blanket
Hand sanitizer/Soap
Knife
Waterproof matches
Lighter
Sleeping bag
Water bottle
Camelbak
Rope/Bungee Cords
Duct tape
Maps

camaroz1985
March 31st, 2009, 06:07 AM
Tim that is quite the list. While it is good to be prepared I don't think he will need any of that. It is a good idea to have the tire patch kit, but most of that will not be needed.

I do 200+ mile rides pretty frequently, and there is no problem at all with the bike. Your butt will probably feel it but seeing as you are taking backroads (or at least not interstate highways) you will probably be moving around a little bit more and won't feel it as much. Take rests when you need them (I usually stop once on a 200 mile trip, but have done it without stopping), and take your time and enjoy the ride.

Do as Alex said and take a couple preliminary rides to get yourself used to that much time on the bike. It also might be a good idea to do this without the distractions of the GPS (if you can, I know some people can't) and the ipod, especially on roads you have never seen before. You might think it will be boring, but you will be suprised how many of life's questions you will be able to answer :D

Buffalony
March 31st, 2009, 06:28 AM
Your gonna have a blast. Get everything on your "to get" list except maybe nix the camel back, just pull over and get something to drink and stretch at the same time. Besides it's still freakin cold up here. If your not strapped for time, look for a couple places to go to on your way. Landmarks or Famous diners. Either way plan for a 5.5 hr trip though so your prepared.

M-Oorb
March 31st, 2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys! I really think i have the confidence in myself and I'm sure once its all over I wont think its that big of a deal. Just to answer some of the questions and to clarify a few things. I like the idea of the extra clothes. In late may in florida it rains practically every single day for about 20 min's but it pours. I like the idea of extra clothing...def gunna do that. As for the heat...my jacket has little zip down vents with mesh that I have found very comfortable so far. I'll be making this trip in 2 legs over 2 days. The first day its about a 4.5 hour ride...according to map quest...to the train. THe train ride is then about 17 hours...than the last leg is another 4.5 hours. I plan on giving myself about 6.5 hours for the first leg...dont wanna miss the train. I'd love to make this ride a bit more scenic but this ride is strictly a point A to point B ride since I have to be at school at a certain time :(. I definitely plan on taking some practice rides once I get home, going a little longer as you said Alex. Probably wont go with a backpack though cause I can see that getting uncomfortable after a while.

Oh yea and I'm def gunna bring my camera(D40x for you camera lovers) and have as much fun as I can. Thanks guys for the tips and the encouragement. Any other help would be greatly appreciated! :thumbup:

CC Cowboy
March 31st, 2009, 07:26 AM
Forget the train. Just north of Sanford is a ton of beautiful roads to enjoy. Bring your gear (to wear), stop at a Walmart every other day for new underwear (they are good for two days if you reverse them over night, then throw the old ones away), parent's credit card, and a big smile. You need to ride up through the mountains of Georgia, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive and then through Maryland, Pennsylvania, to New Jersey.

Or you can take the coastal route of 17 through Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach, then 13 (Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel), to 9 across Cape May onto the Jersey coast.

Either way would be a trip to remember your entire life. It just depends on if you like BBQ or seafood to determine which way to go. Then again, you could take one route up and the other back.

M-Oorb
March 31st, 2009, 07:29 AM
I really wish I could do that but my ride up is all about getting their by a certain date. I would leave early to do all that but my parents wanna see me for some reason? I dunno haha. But my ride back downnn in august...now that isnt time constricted. Ill make a new thread about 2 weeks before I ride back down to get some opinions about places I should stop...as I have only either taken the train their and back or made the straight boring ride on 95. Good looks though

SteveL
March 31st, 2009, 07:33 AM
I would use a back pack a 60 liter should do and put all clothing into a plastic bin liner this keeps the rain out put the heavy things at the top reduces back ach. You will suffer most of all from hand cramp and numb bum, get off and walk around whenever you feel tired other than that you should be fine.

Steve

M-Oorb
March 31st, 2009, 07:38 AM
I'm really worried about the hand cramping thing. I was thinking of picking up a cramp buster...havent heard anything about it but the theory sounds good and only 10 bucks with free shipping. Anyone have any experience with these?

Broom
March 31st, 2009, 07:56 AM
some tips that an IBI (iron butt invitational) guy told me for long rides:

don't refuel and eat/use restroom on the same stop. split them up to break up the ride more and keep you from getting sleepy or stiff.

adjust your butt and do it often. if you wait until your butt starts to hurt before you adjust your seating position then you're too late.

if you have a backpack or something, its best to strap it to the tail of the bike instead of wearing it on your back. it'll keep you from getting tired and allow for better handling of the bike. use a cargo net type bungie cord to hold it down and make sure you give it a good test run around town before you head out to ensure it stays put.

M-Oorb
March 31st, 2009, 08:32 AM
I like the idea of breaking it up... That will make me take more breaks. As for the backpack I was hoping to go up with my rear seat cowl so maybe just a tank bag then. Another question... Right now I have my carbs shimmed with one washer. Would removing those washers help with my fuel economy enough to justify taking them out for this trip?
Posted via Mobile Device

Broom
March 31st, 2009, 08:41 AM
nah... you'd make a bigger difference riding conservatively than adjusting your carbs.

M-Oorb
March 31st, 2009, 08:44 AM
Alright I thought so... ThAnks broom
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueTyke
March 31st, 2009, 10:17 AM
If you need help in the MD area give me a hollar. I'll PM my info to you. I am sure there are other people along the coast that could help out too!

(always good to know folks along the way :) )

M-Oorb
March 31st, 2009, 10:25 AM
Man, I love the people on this forum. I don't know anyone face to face on here and someone has already offered some help if needed. Thanks tyke...ill pm with some info!
Posted via Mobile Device

Nemy
March 31st, 2009, 01:43 PM
Tim that is quite the list. While it is good to be prepared I don't think he will need any of that. It is a good idea to have the tire patch kit, but most of that will not be needed.

I do 200+ mile rides pretty frequently, and there is no problem at all with the bike. Your butt will probably feel it but seeing as you are taking backroads (or at least not interstate highways) you will probably be moving around a little bit more and won't feel it as much. Take rests when you need them (I usually stop once on a 200 mile trip, but have done it without stopping), and take your time and enjoy the ride.

Do as Alex said and take a couple preliminary rides to get yourself used to that much time on the bike. It also might be a good idea to do this without the distractions of the GPS (if you can, I know some people can't) and the ipod, especially on roads you have never seen before. You might think it will be boring, but you will be suprised how many of life's questions you will be able to answer :D

ya I don't know US geography so I assumed it was a multi-day trip... My list is definitely exhaustive but meant for my tour across the continent :rolleyes:

Nemy
March 31st, 2009, 01:47 PM
some tips that an IBI (iron butt invitational) guy told me for long rides:

don't refuel and eat/use restroom on the same stop. split them up to break up the ride more and keep you from getting sleepy or stiff.

adjust your butt and do it often. if you wait until your butt starts to hurt before you adjust your seating position then you're too late.

if you have a backpack or something, its best to strap it to the tail of the bike instead of wearing it on your back. it'll keep you from getting tired and allow for better handling of the bike. use a cargo net type bungie cord to hold it down and make sure you give it a good test run around town before you head out to ensure it stays put.

great advice! :thumbup:

OldGuy
March 31st, 2009, 02:33 PM
I then plan to catch the auto train and put my bike on it. The train takes me right to the Virginia side of DC.

Sounds like a lot of fun and as Alex said you've got your head around the things you need to be thinking about.

Thought occurred to me as I was reading this again, how do they secure the bike on the auto train? Car's are no big problem, drive on, put it in park and set the brake. But a motorcycle? Might want to look into that if you haven't already. If they give you some attachment points in the rail car you could carry a couple of ratchet tie-downs. WalMart will have them for just a few bucks and they don't weigh much or take up much space.

Moo-wasaki
March 31st, 2009, 02:55 PM
Padded bicycle shorts...up to you if you want to turn them inside out at all!

M-Oorb
March 31st, 2009, 02:56 PM
good point old guy. I've taken my car on it about 5 times already and i've seen people bring their bikes on...they make you help them whereas the bike they just drive it themselves. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say...if i need to bring anything.

g21-30
March 31st, 2009, 03:33 PM
Matt,

Since I live near Lorton, VA (end of Auto Train line), I just did a google map from Lorton, VA to New Brunswick, NJ and avoided Interstates, etc. I came up with 6.5 hrs and that was driving thru DC and Baltimore, MD. Depending on the time of day that you're riding, that 6.5 hours could extend even longer.

I'm not trying to throw a damper on your ride, just give you more info for an informed decision. If you want to PM me with your route, I will gladly review the VA-DC portion for you. I'm sure Blue Tyke would do the same for the MD portion. :thumbup:

BlueTyke
March 31st, 2009, 04:31 PM
i'd be happy to help!!
Posted via Mobile Device

M-Oorb
March 31st, 2009, 05:31 PM
Sam,
Thanks for taking a look for me. When I did map quest I beleive I just deleted the rt95 section of the trip. Ill do it again and let you know what roads in the DC area it comes up with and you can give me your opinion on them. I'll do the same for MD so tyke can help :thumbup:. I think when alex created this forum he added something to it to draw the most helpful crowd. Thanks guys

M-Oorb
March 31st, 2009, 05:47 PM
Ok this is what I got. Once you leave the station you hop on rt 1 which is fine. Then you take rt 1 to 495...which if im not mistakin is the beltway around DC. I've taken this road before...with my car...and I think again this road is fine. From 495 I start to take roads ive never taken or heard of before so maybe you guys can help me out. After 495 ...I hop on rt 50 towards anapolis. From rt 50 I go on to 301 crossing into delaware. From 301 I go to rt 40 which eventually brings me in to new jersey. So Sam and Tyke...whatcha guys think? Map Quest has an estimate time of 4 hours and 25 min with a distance of 230 miles.

OldGuy
March 31st, 2009, 09:00 PM
My Mom lived in Potomac, MD so I know some of the roads you are talking about and the beltway is no picnic, especially if you hit it at commute time. It is 6-8 lanes with a lot of exits and people jumping all around.

50 is also multi-lane and a major highway.

Come to think of it last time I was on 50 there were a group of 4 supper bikes coming at us on the other side all doing wheele's at about 80+ mph - one standing on the rear pegs and one on the seat. :eek:

Any way I know some locals will get you on the right path.

M-Oorb
March 31st, 2009, 09:15 PM
damn beltway...and the train gets in at like 7am...which puts me right smack in the middle of rush hour :(. But I guess its either that or driving through DC if im not mistaken right? And i reallllllly dont wanna do that. As for rt 50...ive done multi lane highways before down in florida...6 lane road. But I havent really done it during high volume times. Any locals...any ideas?

Syphen
March 31st, 2009, 09:24 PM
Add advil or some other mild, non-drowsy painkiller with you. It may sound dumb but it can help. There have been a few times on a trip where all of the sudden my knees or back would cramp and just start KILLING me. Advil kept me going and the trip was a great time.

M-Oorb
March 31st, 2009, 09:30 PM
So simple yet I wouldn't of thought of that. Ill bring some night time too just so I can get some sleep on the train and be awake for the next days ride. Good tip...keep it comin guyss

Moo-wasaki
April 1st, 2009, 05:22 AM
Add Monkey Butt to the padded/cushioned bike shorts.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/unklebuck/Tubes/monkey.jpg
http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

BlueTyke
April 1st, 2009, 07:05 AM
If the Train gets in at 7am might be a good time to stop and have a nice breakfast somewhere close by to kill some time...

Pointers... Instead of Route 40 I suggest Route 7/Philidelphia road - There are a few more lights and a reduced speed limit (so if time is of the essence stick to route 40) but 7 has a lot more to look at with a reduction of 'asshatdriversthatspeeddown40'. It is a personal preference and 7 will take you all the way up to port deposit. (I just went there a few weekends ago! It was def. nicer going up 7 than 40, which i took on the way back) A lot of this depends on WHEN you are doing this trip too... :)

As for in and around DC I haven't really been. Gaithersburg is closer so the new MD rider might have some suggestions for in and around there...

M-Oorb
April 1st, 2009, 07:51 AM
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Lorton+&1s=VA&2c=New+Brunswick+&2s=NJ#a/maps/l:::Lorton:VA::US:38.704201:-77.228104:city:Fairfax+County:1/l:::New+Brunswick:NJ::US:40.486099:-74.452202:city:Middlesex+County:1/m::5:39.596959:-75.81729:0:::::/io:1:::::f:EN:M:/e

This is the link to mapquest for the route that I came up with. It says im only on rt 40 for a couple of miles? Tell me what you guys think...I dunno if any of these roads are major or would 'be a pain to drive on. Id most likely start my trip at about 8am..I also beleive I would be making this ride on a saturday...this might make it easier or harder dont really know. Thanks for all the help again guys(and gals)!

Edit:Forget that link...it doesnt have the roads I took out. I basically just clicked AVOID on the 95 portions and the 495 portions.

BlueTyke
April 1st, 2009, 07:58 AM
When I clicked on it... There was no reference to Rt 40 but 95 is on there

M-Oorb
April 1st, 2009, 08:09 AM
I know...for some reason the link didnt save what I had clicked avoid on :confused:. If you wanna see the route I was talking about just click avoid for all the rt 95 sections and the beltway(495). Im thinking I may be better off taking the belt way though and not riding through DC.

BlueTyke
April 1st, 2009, 08:15 AM
Taking those out hops you out of my area all together. :)

M-Oorb
April 1st, 2009, 08:40 AM
Oh man :/ so your not familiar with the roads I'm talking about then? I was hoping I'd be close to some members just for some help and you were being very helpful with the planning haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueTyke
April 1st, 2009, 09:01 AM
I am in the Baltimore area (other side of the water from your route).

Though if you took 295 up to 695 (not sure if that was the beltway that was talked about... There are so many beltways... ) You can loop around to rt 40 take that up to where the Jersey side...

I would for the trip up take which ever is faster for you. On the way back though we can discuss better roads. :)

(and I see you have a mobile device and figured out how to check Ninjette on it. The plus side to that is you can check in and we can follow your progress too :) )

M-Oorb
April 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hmm that sounds like a pretty straight forward route...ill have to check that out. And yes for the way back I'm def gunna try to take some more interesting/ less highway like roads as I don't really have a time limit on the way back. And yes...this blackberry and ninjette mobile is a savior in boring lecture hall classes haha. Once on my little journey ill post how I felt about my first semi long ride on the train that night. Won't have anything else to do so ill be on ninjette all night haha
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueTyke
April 1st, 2009, 11:32 AM
It can be addicting that way. :P I am lucky that my phone doesn't let me access face book or I would really be in trouble

camaroz1985
April 1st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Typical girl :behindsofa: :D

M-Oorb
April 1st, 2009, 12:01 PM
Thats a dangerous move there...you never talk about a girl and her addiction to facebook :nono:...that could lead to some serious :smash2:

BlueTyke
April 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
:: tap foot :: Ryan... You don't live THAT far... (Is so totally teasing)

I fully acknowledge my addiction to facebook but then I beat that 'typical girl' comment by not wearing makeup, getting my nails done, spending hours on my hair... I ride my own motorcycle, and I scuba dive. I think I am well covered when it comes to typical girl stuff :)

Now... :focus:

g21-30
April 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM
Matt,

Lots of work today and wasn't able to check your posts...sorry. When I did the route, I used google maps and said avoid major highways, i.e. 95, 495, 295, 695...

I would avoid 495 (Beltway) at all costs. Driving it in a car is a whole lot different than on a bike.

Here is some more info on the train and motorcycles:

Special racks are used to secure motorcycles. The motorcycles are held in place with wheel locks, side straps, stabilizing bars and an optional padded clamp for the seat. Motorcycles with standard and factory-approved farings and saddlebags are carried on the Auto Train, but custom motorcycles, motorcycles with sidecars and chopped motorcycles cannot be accommodated. You will be asked to help position and secure your motorcycle on the flatbed carrier before the train departs, and to assist in taking your bike off the carrier when you arrive at your destination. You can expect a number of motorcycles around the time of the Daytona rally.

This was found at:

http://www.on-track-on-line.com/autotrain-stations.shtml

dyeclan
April 1st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Add Monkey Butt to the padded/cushioned bike shorts.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/unklebuck/Tubes/monkey.jpg
http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

Do not underestimate the vast wisdom contained within this post!

M-Oorb
April 1st, 2009, 08:03 PM
Sam,
That was a lot of useful information. Thank you very much. So I did a new map quest because my mom is starting to question if she wants me doing this taking the beltway and the Delaware mem. bridge(We all know how over protective mothers can be...shes just doing it because she loves me I know :o) So i came up with a new route...doesnt take the belt way. In fact it takes a lot of little roads and takes a long time(7 hours according to map quest.) If im on the road by 7 and I work in an extra 2 hours for breaks and what not...that gets me in at 4pm...not too bad. And who knows I may be traveling through some pretty nice towns. This is what I got with no highways http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Lorton&1s=VA&2c=New+Brunswick&2s=NJ#a/maps/l:::Lorton:VA::US:38.704201:-77.228104:city:Fairfax+County:1/l:::New+Brunswick:NJ::US:40.486099:-74.452202:city:Middlesex+County:1/m::5:39.596959:-75.835319:0:::::/io:1:1:1:::f:EN:M:/e

Lemme know what you guys think.:thumbup:

g21-30
April 2nd, 2009, 06:16 AM
Sam,
That was a lot of useful information. Thank you very much. So I did a new map quest because my mom is starting to question if she wants me doing this taking the beltway and the Delaware mem. bridge(We all know how over protective mothers can be...shes just doing it because she loves me I know :o) So i came up with a new route...doesnt take the belt way. In fact it takes a lot of little roads and takes a long time(7 hours according to map quest.) If im on the road by 7 and I work in an extra 2 hours for breaks and what not...that gets me in at 4pm...not too bad. And who knows I may be traveling through some pretty nice towns. This is what I got with no highways http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Lorton&1s=VA&2c=New+Brunswick&2s=NJ#a/maps/l:::Lorton:VA::US:38.704201:-77.228104:city:Fairfax+County:1/l:::New+Brunswick:NJ::US:40.486099:-74.452202:city:Middlesex+County:1/m::5:39.596959:-75.835319:0:::::/io:1:1:1:::f:EN:M:/e

Lemme know what you guys think.:thumbup:

Matt...That looks good. I've done basically the same route to Baltimore before. Sunny (Blue Tyke) will verify her side. Good luck. :thumbup:

OldGuy
April 2nd, 2009, 07:35 AM
starting to question if she wants me doing this taking the beltway and the Delaware mem. bridge

Matt - good choice on staying off the beltway AND the Delaware Memorial Bridge; it is tall, can have a bad cross wind, and the road surface is not always the best when I've taken it in a cage.

It think you back road route will be a lot more fun and less stressful. Stop and smell the roses.

M-Oorb
April 2nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Yea thats what I heard about the bridge. I think I'm gunna like this less direct route anyway than taking a highway...its gunna take about twice the time but I'm not on 1 road for very long so I'll be moving around a lot and wont get bored just going straight :D. Just gotta get the approval on the route and I think I'll be good to go. Thanks guys for all the support and the help so far and anymore tips and tricks would be muchhhh appreciated :thumbup:

camaroz1985
April 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
Back roads are the way to go. You will enjoy it much more.

M-Oorb
April 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Its official...that link that I posted is my ride up to jersey :)

OldGuy
April 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
Congratulations Matt - now all you have to do is make it a smooth incident free trip and your Mom will be a lot more trusting of things you want to do. :thumbup:

M-Oorb
April 2nd, 2009, 06:30 PM
Haha yeaa. I had her check out the forum and see what everyone was saying and I think that helped a lot. They normally let me do just about anything(I mean how many mom's come up with the idea of their son having a bike? Let alone buy it for them?!)...I think it was just the not trusting other people thing ya know. Well now to start buying the bags ill need as well as some other things to start preparing.

M-Oorb
April 2nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
My trip became official today...and I already spent lots of $$ prepping haha. I've been meaning to get some real gear and now I have an excuse to ask for an early birthday present. Obviously already had a helmet...had riding gloves and a jacket too but nothing else really. Went on new enough and dropped some money on some riding pants with armor that are waterproof, some riding boots that are also waterproof, and a nice tank bag that has a clear cover in front for the GPS so I dont get lost :/. Also got a motorcycle cover since my bike will be remaining outside for the 7 weeks its up in Jersey. And finally bought some cramp busters...hopefully they work like I think it will. Not too bad for a night I'm supposed to be studying for International Finance huh? haha

sometimesido
April 2nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
Nice man! I expect lots of pictures!
I bought the crampbusters myself last week. Awesome for long rides.

M-Oorb
April 2nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Really? I've never heard anything about them in this forum so I was kinda wondering about it but it was only 11 bucks so I thought what the hell and bought it. I really hope it works like I think it will. And plenty of pics as long as theres stuff to take pictures of...or I can just take pictures of my bike haha. Alex, there isnt a way I can take a picture on my phone and upload it from my phone directly to the site using ninjette.org is there?

sometimesido
April 2nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
Trips like yours, it helps.
Riding around town going through traffic, no.

Alex
April 2nd, 2009, 11:54 PM
Alex, there isnt a way I can take a picture on my phone and upload it from my phone directly to the site using ninjette.org is there?

Depends how full-featured the browser is on your phone. There's no specific feature on the board to let you to send a MMS-type picture directly from the phone, but if the phone can browse the site and browse to a picture stored on the phone, maybe you could attach it just as you would on a pc browser? Not really sure... :confused:

M-Oorb
April 3rd, 2009, 06:22 AM
Hmm I guess I'll have to give it a try...then we'll see haha

BlueTyke
April 3rd, 2009, 06:23 AM
Really? I've never heard anything about them in this forum so I was kinda wondering about it but it was only 11 bucks so I thought what the hell and bought it. I really hope it works like I think it will. And plenty of pics as long as theres stuff to take pictures of...or I can just take pictures of my bike haha. Alex, there isnt a way I can take a picture on my phone and upload it from my phone directly to the site using ninjette.org is there?

Photobucket will let you email them a picture (if your phone has that cabablity) that way it is posted up. From there you can link it to Ninjette.org.

Also I know you can picture message Face Book and have it post up in your mobile album and supposedly you are able to share pictures that way (I haven't figured that out yet) That is if you have a FB account.

sometimesido
April 3rd, 2009, 08:45 AM
flickr also has that feature.

M-Oorb
May 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
So I just did the first leg of my trip with a couple changes. As some of you may recall I'm riding my 08 ninja from south florida up to jersey for the summer but kinda cheating a,d taking the auto train from sanford fl to lorton va. The train leaves today but I opted to ride up yesterday and stay the night since the weather forcasts have not been good. Rain rain rain...a storm system that they thought might end up earning the name Anne...but it didn't. Altered my ride a little and rode up through the middle of the state on rt 27...some of you in other states may know this road as this is one of those roads that go from florida up to...I dunno how far but I know atleast jersey. So this was my first long ride...ended up being 293 miles in 6.5 hours. I was very nervous at first since my next longest ride was 60 miles and never really rode in the rain much or even the highway. As I was heading north there was a constant crosswind blowing west and I trid to use the techniques I've heard talked about here but nothing seemed to work. I was having now fun and had been riding in the rain for an hour. Then at about the 75 mile mark two harleys past and waved...and I dunno something happened. I thought well if they are having fun then its physically possible for me to have fun also. After that point I became much more relaxed and comfortable and the ride ended up being a blast and I drastically underestimated this little bike. The crosswind stopped bothering me and I enjoyed every mile after that taking in the sights and what not. I believe my gear and added bits really helped. For this trip I bought proper gear even though I should have done this before. Textile/mesh joe rocket pants and jacket with armor with rain liners and waterproof a* boots(more like hightop sneakers) which costed a pretty penny but I remained 100 percent dry riding through 3 heavyshowers for about 45 min each time. The zero g double bouble kept the wind pretty much off my chest...my new 15 in cf area p gave me something beautiful to listen to and my new joe rocket tank bag left almost nothing in my backpack. Also listened to the advice of many and bought gel padded bicycle shorts...THANK YOU for those who recommended these...saved my butt...literally. Overall it was a fun trip and a great experience and I don't think I coulda done it without all the help and tips here. Just waiting to get on the train and on that for about 22 hours then a long ride from va to delaware to catch the ferry to cape cod then up to seaside nj to my friends beach house for memorial day weekend. Can't wait for round two tomorrow :)
Posted via Mobile Device

M-Oorb
May 22nd, 2009, 09:38 AM
Oh yea and I had bought those little round stick on mirrors from walmart...best mod I've done to the bike...can see all the way behind me...they're great. Every rider I passed gave the 2 finger solute...harleys and sports bikes a like. 5 other bikers on the train with me today...all great guys but I have the only sport bike. On a side note...lost one of the frame bolt covers...I don't think its a big deal but someone tell me if it is. Dunno how it happened...did the 1 year inspection on my bike with 1300 miles before I left since it was just my bikes birthday and everything checked out so I dunno how it happened. Anyone know where I can get these other than a dealership? Sorry for the long posts just wanna share my great journey haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

camaroz1985
May 22nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Sounds like you are becoming a lot more comfortable with the bike. I'm sure you next leg will be even more enjoyable. Just don't get to relaxed. You need to remain alert especially this weekend down by the Jersey shore.

Enjoy the ride.

CC Cowboy
May 22nd, 2009, 09:45 AM
Matt, make sure you get on the ferry to Cape May (not Cape Cod) or you will have a longer trip than you planned.

Taking the train has ended up being a great way to get up to Jersey since the mid atlantic states are all getting pounded by rain.

Did those Harley guys have gear on when they passed you?

You will find that anytime you take a long ride rain appears for some part of it. Once you get used to it the ride is fine. You will always remember the rain when you talk about your trip.

M-Oorb
May 22nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Yea deffinitly will be very aware. I know my limits and will not excede them or come close. And even though I'm more comfortable on the bike stupid cagers are still stupid cagers. I feel like on a bike cars are more respectful for the most part...as in most use there blinkers when I'm around haha. Down by the shore may be a little hairy since most of the people won't know their way around,will be in a rush, could even be intoxicated so once I get there the bike is parked for the weekend and ill let my friends drive me around. Again,thanks everyone for all the help and support.
Posted via Mobile Device

M-Oorb
May 22nd, 2009, 09:50 AM
Haha yea cape may...stupid me...not like I lived in jersey for 18 years or anything. Those harley guys were just sporting helemets which depressed me a little but all the guys that rode to the train are decked out in all appropriate gear. As for the rain...as I tell the story more over the years of my first long ride the rain may turn into a tornado,then a hurricane,then a tsunami...will see how it evolves haha
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueTyke
May 22nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
Glad you made it! I wondered why your post count wasn't going up! :D

CC Cowboy
May 22nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Too bad they don't let you ride with the bike. In 22 hours you could be cleaning it (after the rain) and have it looking good for the ride.

M-Oorb
May 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
I know I wish...I could do witha chain lube polish the rins the whole thing. I guess it'll have to wait. Itd make the ride go by a little faster...now all I have to do is read a book and watch some crappy movie they have playin...wish I had room for the lap top. If you want sunny you can meet up with me tomorrow and ride up to the jersey shore haha
Posted via Mobile Device

M-Oorb
May 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Just got to lewes del.and am on the ferry to cape may(not cod) as we speak. I must say I love riding up north so much better then florida...I now know what its like to take a turn on a bike haha. Weather today has been perfect couldn't ask for more. Took a gamble and took the beltway around dc to rt 50 and it had suprising a light amount of cars on it so it was great and fast. Rode over a big bridge for the first time...chesapeak bay bridge(not to be confused with the bridge/tunnel) was a little nervous at first about wind cause it was really high up but stopped at a wawa before the bridge and was talking to a man and wife who had just ridden across it on they're big kawi cruiser and they said it was fine. Well I made it with no problem. No crosswinds of anykind and it was really nice...nice salty smell and the temp dropped quite a bit. Now just to ride from the cape up to seaside and my trip is complete. I'm so glad I did this as it built my confidnce,skills, oh yea and it was a blast!
Posted via Mobile Device

Tintkng
May 23rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
im glad your having fun...im stuck at work for like the rest of my life...and its supposed to rain the only day im off!! keep us posted...try to get some pics!

CC Cowboy
May 23rd, 2009, 05:40 PM
How's the bike running? Any problems? How about you, any cramps or pains (in the ass).

Don't forget to stop and have some seafood on the Jersey coast. Ocean City rocks.

OldGuy
May 23rd, 2009, 07:37 PM
Crab cakes around Ocean City or Rehobith should be great eating.

Elfling
May 24th, 2009, 04:24 AM
:: tap foot :: Ryan... You don't live THAT far... (Is so totally teasing)

I fully acknowledge my addiction to facebook but then I beat that 'typical girl' comment by not wearing makeup, getting my nails done, spending hours on my hair... I ride my own motorcycle, and I scuba dive. I think I am well covered when it comes to typical girl stuff :)

Now... :focus:
:thumbup:

Elfling
May 24th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Something I've noticed is that gripping the tank (with your knees) really, really helps encourage you to use your back for support and not your arms. If we're riding straight stretches, I'll relax a bit and let my legs open some; but decel/accel/and corners, gripping really helps take the stress off your arms.

CC Cowboy
May 26th, 2009, 06:18 AM
It's been a few days since the last report. I hope all is well.

djindia23
May 26th, 2009, 07:55 AM
hey matt, hope you're enjoying the ride... when you get up to brunswick, let me know... ill come down with my ninjette... was down there friday night for graduation celebrations with some friends... hit me up when you wanna ride... maybe friday if anything??? cuz saturday got some stuff going on

ScorpionNinja
May 26th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Hmmm well i live in Michigan, and i cant give ya any Tips for the Route your doing! lol
And as for long trips, i havent been on any myself, only like a 200mile day, but thats taking breaks as i stop at different familys houses too show em my New Ninja!

All i can add is, how tall are you? im 5' 10" and if my back starts too hurt alil, but i need too keep riding, scootin' your butt back alil back towards the rear passenger seat and in Rocket* postion can Help out, but your Arms and Neck will suffer 20mins later! Just keep abjusting your riding postion like that other guy mentioned, itll help ya from totally cramping up b4 you cant Stand it and need a E.R. pull over... only theres not really a Safe spot too do so!

If the Road is Smooth enuff and traffic is Minor, you can Rest your LEFT HAND if needed, hold down by your side for a Min. You cant do this with your RIGHT HAND, but ive found that all you gotta do is Loosen up your Grip, and Let your RIGHT HAND open up alil, Relax (dont Whiteknuckle it), but be careful of your whereabouts... if you need to regrip hard too dodge sumin!
Anyhow, i just wanna Add that this Summer July 9-12th is my Family Camping Trip! and its about 400miles one way, im riding my ninja up, with my Items in my Uncles Truck (day b4 ill drop stuff off in my car)

At this point ive ridden enuff and im sure 400 miles will be NP! (my family takes like 2 Food/Breaks also) soo thatll help out also :)

Well Good Luck, and Have Fun man! Sounds like a Cool Trip!

M-Oorb
May 26th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Yea sorry guys forgot to update...soon as I got to the beach I just zoned out for the weekend haha. The rest of the trip from the cape up to sea side was pretty uneventful. Ive been riding up back by Rutgers for 2 days now and its so different then riding in florida. I dunno if you guys have ridin down there but we have perfect roads...as in no bumps or pot holes or anything. Well New Jersey is so different to stay the least. I ride the roads up here all the time in my car but they are so different on a bike...im seeing bumps and road imperfections I never knew were there. It makes me a little nervous but Im handling it well...not gunna ride at night for a while till I get comfortable with the roads and really know them well. So its supposed to rain the rest of the week now so I cant wash the bike...it really needs it. Question...should I wait to clean and lube the chain till I wash the bike? I think that seems like the logical thing to do. Also, anyone know where I can get the frame bolt covers other than at a dealership as somehow one came off while I was riding. Overall a very good trip and Im starting to get excited already for the ride back down. I think that trip will be me riding the whole way and making some detours to some nice roads on the way down. I'll be able to take my time as I wont have the time constraint of classes. Thanks for all the help guys...seriously. Great group of people.

Dj....this week is supposed to rain until saturday...but I would def like to get together with some other riders and go out for a ride sometime. Shot me a pm whenever you wanna go. That goes for any other jersey riderr

ScorpionNinja
May 26th, 2009, 05:50 PM
"Question...should I wait to clean and lube the chain till I wash the bike? I think that seems like the logical thing to do."

Yea ive done that, unless the Chain is very DRY looking! Then Wash it anyway b4 you Re lube it!

your Manual says "Chain lube should be done every 400 miles, depending on your riding in Rain/Dirt often"

Chain Adjustment/Slack " should be checked or adjusted every 600 miles"

I heard once your Bike has 600miles, and been adjusted for the First time... your Chain really shouldnt be Loose enuff for a Adjustment again for maybe 800-1,000 miles! I only have 1,134 miles on my bike atm, so ill have too see how the Slack will be @ 1,600 miles.

CC Cowboy
May 27th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Matt, when are you riding back? You should take the mountains going home. If you have time (4 or 5 days) there are some fantastic roads if you go the scenic route instead of the direct route.

M-Oorb
May 27th, 2009, 05:16 AM
The date isn't set yet but I'm looking at like july 10th or around there. Yea I want to make this like a 5 day trip back bouncing between coastal roads and then mountian roads in the interior of the states. I guess its time to do some research haha
Posted via Mobile Device

CC Cowboy
May 27th, 2009, 10:40 AM
The date isn't set yet but I'm looking at like july 10th or around there. Yea I want to make this like a 5 day trip back bouncing between coastal roads and then mountian roads in the interior of the states. I guess its time to do some research haha
Posted via Mobile Device

It's tough to have it both ways.

I suggest the coast of New Jersey. Then head west and hit Skyline> Blue Ridge> the whole Deal's Gap area. The Georgia hills north of Atlanta. Down to Florida and the back roads of Florida home.

That's the only way you can get both coastal and mountains.

I could be riding back to FL from RI about that time. Maybe we can hook up a ride together (if you don't mind putting your life in my hands, just a TrueFaith joke).

M-Oorb
May 27th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Haha na a riding buddy sounds good. And I know its hard to do both but there's always a work around right. That little trip you just wrote out sounds good to me
Posted via Mobile Device

CC Cowboy
May 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Haha na a riding buddy sounds good. And I know its hard to do both but there's always a work around right. That little trip you just wrote out sounds good to me
Posted via Mobile Device

I think that's called a "reach around", unless it from a hooker, then it could be a "work around"

I'm going up to the Island of Rhode on June 26. I'm not sure exactly when I'm coming back. I have to stop by Cape May so my son can check out where the Coast Guard trains on the way back. After that it is follow the weather and all those beautiful roads.