View Full Version : What petrol for Ninja 300cc SE new

mataleo
December 23rd, 2013, 06:34 AM
Hi, i was told in Kawasaki Thailand that 95 octane is better

he even said i can do vpower from shell

im using 95 gasohol and its smooth

just suprised as i see some posts and people says thay on 85 or something...

may b u got different petrol in america, or its for different older ninjas ??

mine is 1 week old

EsrTek
December 23rd, 2013, 07:51 AM
Hi, i was told in Kawasaki Thailand that 95 octane is better

he even said i can do vpower from shell

im using 95 gasohol and its smooth

just suprised as i see some posts and people says thay on 85 or something...

may b u got different petrol in america, or its for different older ninjas ??

mine is 1 week old

Not sure if gas is mixed same here or not, US is trying to get your car to run on corn syrup.
Anyway are bikes here recommend the lowest grades.
I tried all 3 and didn't noticed a difference...however race fuel did seem to give the ninja a bit more pep.
So think mainly ppl use loser grade just to save some $$ and get same performance.

jkv45
December 23rd, 2013, 08:00 AM
What does the owner's manual say? That's what you want to use - no more.

There's no advantage in using a fuel with higher octane than is required, and it will actually give you less power.

mataleo
December 23rd, 2013, 09:40 AM
What does the owner's manual say? That's what you want to use - no more.

There's no advantage in using a fuel with higher octane than is required, and it will actually give you less power.

i dont know what is in manual b cuz its in thai, i cant read it :)

Alex
December 23rd, 2013, 09:52 AM
The ratings for octane are different across different regions. Details in this mongo thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15904). The ninjette doesn't require premium fuel, so whatever is the "normal" octane rating is likely the appropriate fuel for your bike.

Alex
December 23rd, 2013, 09:53 AM

You can download the full owners manual from this sticky thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114767) at the top of this 300 tech section.

jkv45
December 23rd, 2013, 11:45 AM
The ratings for octane are different across different regions. Details in this mongo thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15904). The ninjette doesn't require premium fuel, so whatever is the "normal" octane rating is likely the appropriate fuel for your bike.
Make sure you are reading the octane ratings properly, as they are not standardized Internationally.

Basically, yes, it most likely requires a "standard" grade of fuel (87 octane in the U.S. system). Only reason to use "Premium" is to get away from ethanol. Sometimes that's the only grade you can get without it.

JohnnyBravo
December 23rd, 2013, 01:08 PM
:thumbup: regular petro

ninja250r81
December 31st, 2013, 02:45 AM
In Aussie

91ron unleaded
95ron unleaded
98ron unleaded

93ron e10 - 10% ethanol 90% fuel
105ron e85 - 85% ethanol 15% fuel, also called e-flex fuel

Manual say's NO ETHANOL BASED FUEL.

Use 95ron for the bike

ally99
December 31st, 2013, 06:02 AM
The manual says "87 or higher". A bit ambiguous, but I've always run 87 in my Little Ninjas with no problem. Why pay more for gas that is already exorbitantly priced if it's unnecessary? My bike likes being a cheap date.

mania
January 18th, 2014, 07:31 PM

Yes but right on top of your gas tank is usually a sticker that reads 91 ;)
That means you can go as low as Gasohol 91 no problem

I do run gasohol 95 in mine & like the dealer? told you shell Vpower is also good.
V-Power is I believe just 95 with an additive.
You can also run straight benzine 95 as it is available here. I have & did not note any difference/improvement so
went back to gasohol 95 & vpower

allanoue
January 18th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Why pay more for 95 if 91 gives you the exact same results.

What do you expect to gain using 95?

mania
January 19th, 2014, 06:40 AM
Why pay more for 95 if 91 gives you the exact same results.

What do you expect to gain using 95?

Not sure if your asking me?
But in my case I never said 91 gasohol gives the same result as 95 gasohol

I said 95 benz gave the same result as 95 gasohol.

95 gasohol burns noticeably better than 91 gasohol for me here.
Both in the Ninja & more noticeably so in a smaller 125cc Wave scooter.

Plus the price is almost the same for both
The price in Thai Baht is 2.45 baht more per liter for 95-E10 than 91-E10 or 6 cents so basically nothing ;)

Somchai
January 19th, 2014, 06:59 AM
Excuse me mania when I jump in here to add for allanoue that the quality of fuel here is not to compare to what they get in America like the american fuel cannot be compared to the one you get in Germany.
So maybe it's a good idea here in Los to use the higher RON.

fishdip
January 19th, 2014, 07:52 AM
I remember reading something the other day that said to use 95 or better as the fuel is of such a lower grade in china no idea if you guys get them same fuel.

allanoue
January 19th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Excuse me mania when I jump in here to add for allanoue that the quality of fuel here is not to compare to what they get in America like the american fuel cannot be compared to the one you get in Germany.
So maybe it's a good idea here in Los to use the higher RON.

Are you saying 91 is not really 91 so you need to get 95 to be sure you get at the minimum recommended 91?

Sounds very lawless.

Sorry

Alex
January 20th, 2014, 07:50 AM
No - it's that there are different rating systems. (see post #5 (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=786899&postcount=5))

mania
January 20th, 2014, 08:38 AM
No - it's that there are different rating systems. (see post #5 (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=786899&postcount=5))

:thumbup:

allanoue
January 20th, 2014, 09:25 AM

91 is not there (87) regular? I am fairly sure I got that part right.

Alex
January 20th, 2014, 09:29 AM
I re-read Somchai's post, and that may have been what he meant. That said, unless the end station is negatively affecting the fuel (selling a lower rated fuel maliciously as a higher rated fuel), the fuel quality across the world is remarkably consistent, as the oil and refining business is about as global as it gets.

Somchai
January 20th, 2014, 07:48 PM
allanoue let me answer your question with this
EM_p1Az05Jo
(You can't (don't) always get what you want)

From Germany I know long time ago when the regular was still sold over there it was a known fact that the quality of this fuel was not always given since the cars and mocycs using this where also from lower range and the not so powerful engines of them where easy able to burn this. But in higher engine ranges the fuel always was really good and I would go that far to say this is valid nowadays also.

And since many forks really swear on V-Power I will tell my own story about this:
I’ve been Shell V-Power 100 RON user a long time ago in Germany, when Shell started it new in the market.
And to be honest in my 20 years old car (at that time) using it was really successful since it did safe up to around 12% per 100 km. At that time the tests with modern cars in Germany didn’t bring any high results like this. So the cost for me per 100 km was the same even when the price for V-Power was really high compared to the normal Super-Plus, also I had to go 30 km’s from home to get it but my car was worth to put it in since anyway I had to use the 98 RON unleaded Super-Plus in Germany.
After more then one year I realized that the result was not as good as before, what made me wonder but at least with this knowledge I also went back to use Super-Plus again.
A little time later I met an old friend who did the Racing-Service for a well known oil-company (with the brand RS from castor-oil plant - the old guys will remember that and the racing-smell like in Le Mans or at the Nürburgring) and he told me that Shell has changed the mixture for the V-Power which they sell to the public street-market compared to the one they’d use in Michael S. F1-Ferrari. So it was no wonder that my results haven’t been the same like before.
Also another anecdote and that’s what the young people won’t understand is when you use really gasoline with lead in it. One time when I was driving around with my car I saw that my tank was really empty and when I came to a small village with a gas-station I’ve been looking a little bit confused since they said there you could get leaded Super-Gasoline (approximately one year after in Germany they’d stop selling leaded fuel), so I asked the owner and he told me yes he really collected a big tank full and now he is selling it to special cars and since my car was one like this I took a tank full with leaded Super, what at least had been 83 liters what means my 85 liter-tank was nearly complete empty. After only 5 kms I could feel how happy my engine felt and he’d never run as good as with this real benzine again. Important: NEVER use leaded fuel with a catalytic converter!
So for them who think it’s good to use Shell V-Power take it, believe in their marketing since they will be more then happy to get your money and never forget: Faith can move mountains...

Alex
January 20th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Marketing does work wonders. V-Power isn't a particular fuel formulation. It's the small amount of additive package that all of the majors add to the base fuel. Chevron has Techron. The others have similar. The base fuel is pretty much the exact same thing, for the basic reason that it really is the same thing. All companies selling retail gas trade the gasoline itself as a commodity. Refiners and terminals often have a control where the trucks pick up, to choose between which small amount of additive package is added to the gas, so trucks from several companies can all use the same terminal without any post processing.