View Full Version : Battery weights?

corksil
December 26th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Hey, I'm wondering how much the OEM battery weighs in these bikes.

I've heard of aftermarket batteries of different size/dimension/weight that can be properly shimmed into place under the seat.

Does anyone know how much the OEM battery weighs?

And also -- are there any common battery swaps people do with smaller/lighter batteries for weight savings?

Unlike a car, there aren't many electronic drains on the system apart from ignition, lights, and the cluster... No radios or TVs or audio amplifiers... Seems like it would be easy to cheat in a smaller lighter battery for a little more acceleration increase.

The OEM unit was a tank IIRC, it must have been around 10lbs, maybe more.

Alex
December 26th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Search for "shorai" and you'll pull up a few threads where people have used lighter batteries. Some seem to have had good experiences with them; others, not so much.

corksil
December 26th, 2013, 05:16 PM
So there isn't a clear cut simple go-to battery that everyone goes with?

I was hoping someone would post a link where everyone's saying 'that's the one!'

choneofakind
December 26th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Just go take a poop and stop drinking water for a day. Boom, 10 lbs. :)

Alex
December 26th, 2013, 05:53 PM
So there isn't a clear cut simple go-to battery that everyone goes with?

I was hoping someone would post a link where everyone's saying 'that's the one!'

Unfortunately not. While much of this bike (and many sportbikes, for that matter) have components with easily found aftermarket replacements that are higher quality, batteries are an exception. The OEM batteries are Yuasa, which are pretty much the top quality (and most common) replacement batteries out there as well. The 2009-2012 bikes have a slightly larger battery than the 2008, so perhaps going to the slightly smaller one would save a very small amount of weight, but Chone's suggestion would probably have a larger effect. The very light lithium type batteries seem to be the wave of the future, but the quality and performance still seems to be spotty across the board. AFAIK, the only OEM bikes that are spec'd with them standard are the Ducati 1199 Superleggera (prepare to dump $65K), or the just announced EBR sportbike.

kirk595x
December 26th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I went with a Gel battery. Rated a little higher than stock and a bit lighter. Been flawless for the past year.:thumbup:

mgentz
December 28th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Alien motion four cell. .9 lbs. Or so if I remember correctly. Good for A year now.

Mark Cook
December 28th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Here is the Shorai. I've used a similar one for about 2 years till it went **** up. Used a 2nd one last season with no issues.

Mark Cook
December 28th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Sorry I didn't know you couldn't say **** on the forum

Here is the Shorai. I've used a similar one for about 2 years till it went **** up. Used a 2nd one last season with no issues.

DaBlue1
December 28th, 2013, 04:20 PM
....Does anyone know how much the OEM battery weighs?

And also -- are there any common battery swaps people do with smaller/lighter batteries for weight savings?

Here- http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=582545&postcount=3

ninja250r81
December 28th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Anyone found a ultra-capacitor with spike protection to replace the battery yet???

a few 100 grams :dancecool: