View Full Version : Givi Sucks

Kevin1956
December 30th, 2013, 02:07 PM
I don't understand how Givi can do business like this. On March 28, 2013, I ordered a pair of Givi 3d600 Easy Lock bags, along with the mounting rails and mounting kit though Twisted Throttle for my '12 250. Not cheap, $532.80. Twisted Throttle had none of the parts in stock, so they were to be shipped directly from Givi. I received the mounting rails and kit within a few days, and have waited SEVEN FRIGGIN MONTHS for the bags. MANY phone calls were made to Givi with only "Maybe next month" or "We never know what Italy is shipping us" answers. Finally fed up, I contacted Twisted Throttle. They were VERY accomodating. They're sending a pre-paid shipping label so I can return the rails and kit. With a $532.80 credit, I've purchased an Alu-Rack, Coocase S28 top case, an adaptor, and some other items. Total of the new items is $249.66. For my problems, free shipping! Twisted Throttle is sending a check for the balance of $289.14. Why does Givi continue to advertise the bags in magazines and on the internet if they're not available? Thumbs up to Twisted Throttle! Thumbs down to Givi.

Kevin1956
December 30th, 2013, 02:17 PM
BTW, closely looking at the mounting rails before shipping them back, I've discovered the bags wouldn't have set parallel to the bike when mounted. They would have set at an odd angle, following the taper of the tail section. I think they would have looked pretty goofy, and would have also required relocation of the turn signals. Photos on Givi's website show them mounting parallel with no turn signal mods. At some point the design was changed, but the photos weren't updated.

c-dog
December 30th, 2013, 03:13 PM
That sucks. They are supposed to be some of the best bags out there. Customer service goes a long way to long term customers. Hopefully they get better at getting stuff over to the US soon.

SMman
December 30th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Sorry to hear about Givi but great news about Twisted Throttle's customer service. I have been using the same Givi topcase since 2000 and have been very impressed with it and their customer service. I've used it on my SV650S, VFR800, ZX-6R, and have a spare seat and base plate all set to use on the 250.

dooby
March 26th, 2014, 04:10 PM
BTW, closely looking at the mounting rails before shipping them back, I've discovered the bags wouldn't have set parallel to the bike when mounted. They would have set at an odd angle, following the taper of the tail section. I think they would have looked pretty goofy, and would have also required relocation of the turn signals. Photos on Givi's website show them mounting parallel with no turn signal mods. At some point the design was changed, but the photos weren't updated.

Hi,

I have these installed, so in case it helps here's a few shots of how they look mounted:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29296&stc=1&d=1395874981
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29294&stc=1&d=1395874979
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29295&stc=1&d=1395874981

As you can just make out in the last photo, the kit comes with a relocation bracket to mount the turn signals by re-using the stock rear fender. This does require extending the wiring for at least one of the turn signals.

HTH, Pete

redsnapper
March 27th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Did you have problems with the right saddle bolt on the passenger peg touching or digging into your muffler?

On my stock 250r, the bolt is too long. It digs into my muffler.

flitecontrol
March 27th, 2014, 11:29 PM
Would adding a correct length spacer between the bag brackets and the fender attachment points make them sit parallel?

dooby
March 28th, 2014, 02:43 AM
Did you have problems with the right saddle bolt on the passenger peg touching or digging into your muffler?

On my stock 250r, the bolt is too long. It digs into my muffler.

Slightly - I decided to remove the end can and thread the bolt in from underneath. I first tried this order (bottom to top):

bolt, thin hex nut, peg bracket, washer, locknut

This worked and stood the Givi bracket slightly off the peg bracket as intended but the Givi bracket slightly interfered with part of the exhaust mount bracket that's riveted to my exhaust can. I could still get the bolt in to secure the exhaust can but I decided to re-order the components to reduce the interference:

bolt, washer, peg bracket, thin hex nut, locknut

The Givi bracket still stood off enough from the peg bracket with the thinner washer instead of the thin hex nut so I was happy with this.

Would adding a correct length spacer between the bag brackets and the fender attachment points make them sit parallel?

Hmm, to bring the rear of the panniers further *away* from the bike? I guess you could stand them off a little, but I'd be concerned about the strength of such an arrangement. There is a bracket which "hangs" from the tail and either the top-box frame or the pannier bracket (or both, in my case) bolt through that. If you used a longer bolt and a spacer sleeve I think you might be asking a lot of the bolt not to shear under up-down motion the longer it is. I'll see if I can post more detailed pictures over the weekend for you to make a decision.

HTH, Pete

redsnapper
March 28th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Dooby,

You are super smart!!!!! :bow:

I never thought of reversing the bolt!

Your brain must be huge, how do you fit your helmet on. :)

dooby
March 28th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Sadly I can assure you I am not :-(

Actually I'm sure I picked up that tip somewhere on here where someone commented that you often have to reverse the bolts relative to Givi's instructions so I think I was lucky in recalling that and in this situation it worked quite nicely!

Cheers, Pete

redsnapper
March 28th, 2014, 11:19 AM
For people who want to see the nut too close to the muffler, check out my picture.

Also the cases have a bit of forward and backwards play. I fixed it with rubber spray on the hook points to make it grip better. :clapping:

redsnapper
August 16th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Both the mount Arms broke on me. I only had this product for less than a year. :eek:

See my screenshot.

The only thing I keep in my luggage box is my helmet when it's parked. My boots in my saddle bags, motorcycle tools, and an air pump.

No, I do not ride rough. I ride in the city of Toronto, traveling at low speeds because of traffic.

Waiting to hear from dealer for replace ones, or what to do.