View Full Version : Below freezing tonight...

MrSavvy
January 3rd, 2014, 08:27 PM
I daily my bike, and will be through the winter (first winter of riding every day).
It's going to hit 22 degrees (f) tonight. It hasn't dropped below freezing more than once or twice, and it hasn't dropped below 30 at all around here.

Kinda worried about my poor 'lil baby tonight. 2009 250r. I run WaterWetter with distilled water. Do I have to worry about my block/hoses freezing over and damaging my engine tonight? She's stored outside, but I always have her wrapped up in a tarp.

Please ease my mind and tell me I'll be fine. Or if I'm in danger, what can I do for tonight? Thanks guys. :o

csmith12
January 3rd, 2014, 08:33 PM
Your safe for tonight but sorry... water wetter will freeze if it gets below 0(f) and holds for a few days. Swap it out for engine ice (purple stuff). All the benefits of water wetter, plus anitfreeze qualities.

Bonus: Will pass most orgs track day tech inspection

allanoue
January 3rd, 2014, 08:35 PM
Red Line Water Wetter Super Coolant additive is a unique wetting agent which reduces coolant temperatures by as much as 20° F

how much water wetter?

Motofool
January 3rd, 2014, 09:10 PM
.............Please ease my mind and tell me I'll be fine. Or if I'm in danger, what can I do for tonight? Thanks guys. :o

Can you push the bike indoors for tonight?

If not, can you empty the cooling system?

csmith12
January 3rd, 2014, 09:16 PM
Indoors is a great temp idea, and simply draining if you don't have to ride it. :thumbup:

But it will not freeze at 22 unless out in high winds. Been there already. My bike sat on the trailer exposed the night before a track day in 18 degree weather in early April. Just water wetter/water mix in the system.

choneofakind
January 3rd, 2014, 09:17 PM
Snuggle for warmth!

http://www.motorcycle-recycle-center.com/sleep_with_honey.jpg

MrSavvy
January 3rd, 2014, 09:23 PM
Snuggle for warmth!

http://www.motorcycle-recycle-center.com/sleep_with_honey.jpg

hahaha. My roommate told me to bring it inside, jokingly. I told her not to joke around, because she might wake up with a bike in front of the fireplace. hahaa

Ok guys, thanks for the info/tips. I live in GA, it hardly drops below freezing around here, even in the middle of the winter.
I run 50/50 Wetter/Distilled. The temp outside is supposed to hit 22, but there's no rain or wind, so I should be ok.

'Preciate the quick response, guys!

alex.s
January 3rd, 2014, 09:28 PM
swap to 50/50 if you're going to deep freeze it

nickjpass
January 3rd, 2014, 09:37 PM
-6°F here

MrSavvy
January 4th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Well... it's now supposed to hit 5 degrees on Monday. I'll have to find a way to keep her warm. haha

Of course, it's supposed to rain that morning. Rain alone makes drivers, in these parts, just plain idiots. Add ice to that on the roads and every business around here shuts down for a day. :rolleyes:

nickjpass
January 5th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Bring her inside, cover her in a toasty blanket and have an all nighter.

Chicagobob
January 7th, 2014, 08:45 AM
22 below here yesterday, so I have no sympathy.

jkv45
January 7th, 2014, 10:56 AM
22 below here yesterday, so I have no sympathy.

Here too.

Only -15 this morning.