View Full Version : SoCal: Angeles Crest Highway Tuesday April 7, 2009

Ken
April 1st, 2009, 03:20 PM
EDIT #2: Weather.com now says TUESDAY WILL BE PARTLY CLOUDY AND FRIDAY MAY RAIN. :mad: I PLAN TO RIDE ON TUESDAY AND FRIDAY. If it rains on either day then the ride is canceled for that day.

We'll leave the Shell gas station at 9:00am and head out to Newcombs.

Come on guys! I've seen a bunch of Ruckus riders cruising around together. I know we have more 250R riders out there! Don't be shy! If Tuesday isn't good for you set up a day to ride for yourself and post it here and let's get the SoCal guys together!

Route from Jay's Shell to Newcomb's Ranch.
<iframe width="300" height="300" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=4530+Angeles+Crest+Hwy,+La+Canada+Flintridge,+CA+91011+(Jay's+Shell)&amp; geocode=CQkpjTcHFcJEFdruCQIdE2r0-CHtWVzyKp2hlg&amp;dirflg=&amp;daddr=14928+Angeles+Crest+Hwy,+CA+93563&amp;f=d&amp;hl=en&amp;gl=us&amp;dq =gas&amp;sll=34.205402,-118.199789&amp;sspn=0.006295,0.006295&amp;cid=10854129384719931885&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;s=AARTsJpUHrh y0rZ3NqnZhvlp4MffgkE37A&amp;ll=34.267431,-118.096161&amp;spn=0.340474,0.411987&amp;z=10&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=4530+Angeles+Crest+Hwy,+La+Canada+Flintridge,+CA+91011+(Jay's+Shell)&amp; geocode=CQkpjTcHFcJEFdruCQIdE2r0-CHtWVzyKp2hlg&amp;dirflg=&amp;daddr=14928+Angeles+Crest+Hwy,+CA+93563&amp;f=d&amp;hl=en&amp;gl=us&amp;dq =gas&amp;sll=34.205402,-118.199789&amp;sspn=0.006295,0.006295&amp;cid=10854129384719931885&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=34.267431,-118.096161&amp;spn=0.340474,0.411987&amp;z=10&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Jay's Shell:
<iframe width="200" height="200" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=4530+Angeles+Crest+Hwy,+La+Canada+Flintridg e,+Los+Angeles,+California+91011&amp;sll=34.231106,-118.103714&amp;sspn=0.264549,0.439453&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;s=AARTsJoQqFWO2SY_mk7WSUy6YvrQPTnSEQ&amp;l l=34.21599,-118.195896&amp;spn=0.014195,0.017166&amp;z=14&amp;iwloc=addr&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=4530+Angeles+Crest+Hwy,+La+Canada+Flintri dge,+Los+Angeles,+California+91011&amp;sll=34.231106,-118.103714&amp;sspn=0.264549,0.439453&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=34.21599,-118.195896&amp;spn=0.014195,0.017166&amp;z=14&amp;iwloc=addr" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

kkim
April 1st, 2009, 03:41 PM
lol... the man's hooked. :happy50:

hate to see what happens to you once you start going to the track. :jumping40:

Beast
April 1st, 2009, 04:46 PM
lol... the man's hooked.

The only reason for that is because I keep him company on the ride up :eyebrows:

Ken
April 1st, 2009, 06:27 PM
lol... the man's hooked. :happy50:

hate to see what happens to you once you start going to the track. :jumping40:

ACH is my new drug of choice :thumbup: When I get my GSX-R (waiting for '10 models to see if I should just pick up an '09) I'm going to start tracking my 250 (and pushing it harder everywhere else).

Chris, you keep me company only when I can keep up with you :p

Kurosaki
April 1st, 2009, 09:36 PM
I'll see if I can make it tuesday. 9AM is kinda pushin it for me to get out there and get home.

GMR would work though with my time commitments.

Ken
April 2nd, 2009, 10:08 AM
the 10 day weather forecast suggests its going to rain on tuesday :mad:

Beast
April 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
the 10 day weather forecast suggests its going to rain on tuesday :mad:

Let's pick another day then! haha.

Chris, you keep me company only when I can keep up with you
Ha! That's what I'll be saying at GMR when I get a chance to ride with you there :) Besides, I want to see your new toy that has been shrouded in secret still. What'd you get?! Haha :D

Ken
April 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Let's pick another day then! haha.

Ha! That's what I'll be saying at GMR when I get a chance to ride with you there :) Besides, I want to see your new toy that has been shrouded in secret still. What'd you get?! Haha :D

How about Friday the 10th? The rain is expected to last until mid-Wednesday.

I live up to my signature, whether it be ACH or GMR. :o Are you referring to my foot pedal extender??

Kurosaki
April 2nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
I'm probably gonna be at GMR on saturday if any of you wanna come. I haven't decided if I'm gonna ride the 250 so I can feel like a studly veteran or the CBR and feel like a newb again.:thumbup:

Who am I kidding? I'm gonna ride the new bike.

kkim
April 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
I'm probably gonna be at GMR on saturday if any of you wanna come. I haven't decided if I'm gonna ride the 250 so I can feel like a studly veteran or the CBR and feel like a newb again.:thumbup:

Who am I kidding? I'm gonna ride the new bike.

newb! :p

Beast
April 2nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
I haven't decided if I'm gonna ride the 250 so I can feel like a studly veteran or the CBR and feel like a newb again.

No shame in starting over ;) I vote the CBR. What year did you purchase? I know you were looking at an older model. Fyi, you just purchased a new money pit haha.

Kurosaki
April 2nd, 2009, 07:46 PM
09!

Beast
April 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
09!

Nice! Which color scheme did you get? I was checking them out online yesterday.

ARc
April 3rd, 2009, 01:42 PM
I might head up with you guys on Tuesday. Will let you you know :)

Ken
April 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM

hey Jeff! It's going to rain so it's now set for Friday. Hope you can make it!! If not the following Tuesday for sure :D

Kurosaki
April 3rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Nice! Which color scheme did you get? I was checking them out online yesterday.

black and red, of course.:D

fjyang
April 4th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Count me in for Friday the 10th, never ride with fellow 250 members so I'll bring my old school classic 87 250 with me.

Ken
April 4th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Count me in for Friday the 10th, never ride with fellow 250 members so I'll bring my old school classic 87 250 with me.

See you at the Shell station on Friday, Frank! :thumbup:

00v_Lucky
April 4th, 2009, 02:39 PM

if you can go on friday, would you like to cruise up the the meeting point together? over by walker and orangethorpe or something like that. :thumbup:

ARc
April 4th, 2009, 03:04 PM
if you can go on friday, would you like to cruise up the the meeting point together? over by walker and orangethorpe or something like that. :thumbup:

I'm usually at USC during the week, and only come back to La Palma if there is OCmoto stuff going on (Like the Ducati Open House today or the Skillz Day tommorow). If I'm going to be back on Friday, I'll let you know beforehand! Did you give me your number already? If not, PM me :D

Ken
April 5th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Edited first post due to screwy weather predictions.

fjyang
April 5th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I can't make it this week with you guys. My best friend come over this afternoon to help me solder a broken side stand switch and while I was putting everything back I ask him to installed a Speed Bleeder valve that I just got to help me bleed my new stainless brake line. Well, he keep screwing in the bleeder valve then........snap! I almost past out with disgust and now I just got useless caliper housing that I can't bleed.

My friend usually are vary mechanically incline as we both replace radiators, rebuilt master cyclinders and repair electrical issues together in the past with good chemistry but today is a new low for him. He later admit to me that he had a big argument with his wife in the morning then come over to my house...so I guess he take out the anger on my poor new bleeder valve. Already got a used caliper from ebay and should get here in a few days but I still need to transfer all the piston, seals and pads to the new caliper housing so next Tuesday is more likely.

Dont work on your or anybody eles bikes or Cars when you're just got off an argument!

kkim
April 6th, 2009, 12:24 AM
why not take the snapped off portion of the speed bleeder out with a proper sized easy out and put the stock bleeder back in?

fjyang
April 6th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the advice Kelly but I never hear of easy out but I'll do some research on and see what it is. Just realized your from Hawaii, one of my friend name Daniel Ho (not the singer) is also from there.

I figure withe the terrain there in HI there must be ton's of fun roads to ride?

Ken
April 6th, 2009, 10:46 AM
That sucks Frank!

I'm for sure going again next Tuesday so maybe I'll see you then?

Tomorrow is going to rain during nighttime so I hope to see at least one of you guys tomorrow at the Shell station!

kkim
April 6th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the advice Kelly but I never hear of easy out but I'll do some research on and see what it is. Just realized your from Hawaii, one of my friend name Daniel Ho (not the singer) is also from there.

I figure withe the terrain there in HI there must be ton's of fun roads to ride?

your local hardware store should have an assortment of sizes... if not, I know sears does. it should be quick and easy to remove and I bet you could make the ride if every thing goes well with the extraction. :)

GL...

http://moodle.student.cnwl.ac.uk/moodledata_shared/CDX%20eTextbook/dswmedia/images/useScrewextract.jpg

Beast
April 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Tomorrow is going to rain during nighttime so I hope to see at least one of you guys tomorrow at the Shell station!

Oiyeee, stupid weather. I'll try and make it tomorrow Ken.

Ken
April 6th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Chris,

If not no worries. Alex needs to replace his rear tire and try and get the warranty applied to his head cover gasket leak so I'm going solo.

ARc
April 7th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I need to go take care of a speeding ticket today, so will try to make the one on Friday :(

Ride safe up there guys!

00v_Lucky
April 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM
wow weather.com now says there will be t.showers this week and on friday. dang.

friday looks like a big iff for me.

Beast
April 7th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hey Howard. What is your canyon riding experience like? Or general riding experience overall? I know Jeff is a newbie, but was curious about your skill level.

00v_Lucky
April 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Only been in canyons with my rsx, other than that, none whats so ever =/

fjyang
April 9th, 2009, 03:42 AM
your local hardware store should have an assortment of sizes... if not, I know sears does. it should be quick and easy to remove and I bet you could make the ride if every thing goes well with the extraction. :)

GL...

http://moodle.student.cnwl.ac.uk/moodledata_shared/CDX%20eTextbook/dswmedia/images/useScrewextract.jpg

Thanks Kelly, I bought a basic kit but it won't work as the speed bleeder or even the stock bleeder valve is hollow inside so there is not that much material to tap a bigger hole then pull it with an extractor. If it was a solid bolt then I got more material to work with. Anyway the caliper is on the way from WA and if it gets here by the weekend I might be ready for Tuesday, if not then next Friday. I'll post pictures of my restore bike once I got the caliper fixed.

fjyang
April 9th, 2009, 03:46 AM
That sucks Frank!

I'm for sure going again next Tuesday so maybe I'll see you then?

I'll shoot for Tuesday but it depend on when my cliper arrived. Soon as its done I'll let you guys know. Was really looking forward to the group ride :(

kkim
April 9th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Thanks Kelly, I bought a basic kit but it won't work as the speed bleeder or even the stock bleeder valve is hollow inside so there is not that much material to tap a bigger hole then pull it with an extractor. If it was a solid bolt then I got more material to work with. Anyway the caliper is on the way from WA and if it gets here by the weekend I might be ready for Tuesday, if not then next Friday. I'll post pictures of my restore bike once I got the caliper fixed.
um, just use the hole that is already there with the speedbleeder... no need to drill a hole. :confused:

fjyang
April 9th, 2009, 03:58 AM
um, just use the hole that is already there with the speedbleeder... no need to drill a hole. :confused:

I did, the wall thickness is like 3/32 and with the extractor, it just keep on shaving the wall thinner as it can't grab on to any wall area. The speed bleeder valve is pretty soft material. Can I mail the caliper to HI when I recived my replacement? :p

kkim
April 9th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I did, the wall thickness is like 3/32 and with the extractor, it just keep on shaving the wall thinner as it can't grab on to any wall area. The speed bleeder valve is pretty soft material. Can I mail the caliper to HI when I recived my replacement? :p

Sure! seriously, stick it in a flat rate box and mail it. no harm in trying if you were going to dump it anyway. :D

you find a replacement on ebay, yet?

fjyang
April 12th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Bike Fixed! got the caliper on Friday, got the piston push out with compress air by my friend's auto shop on Sat. Painted the caliper & heat treated in my oven :), transfer all the new seals from my useless caliper and installed the speed bleeder "hand tight" then proceed to bleed my brakes and it really only took 5 min with the speed bleeder valve to bleed my brakes, I highly recommended.

I'm ready to ride! Anybody going to ACH, GMR, Malibu let me know. I've only been to all of those places just once, except twice to ACH as I use to live in O.C.