View Full Version : pretty sure i f'd myself...(gas leak)

ians_04_250
April 1st, 2009, 06:59 PM
I couldn't get one of my bolts in for the upper fairing. I don't know why, but it's too late now. Anyways Long story short I got longer bolts, and ended up poking holes in the upper holes for the upper fairing. I try to fix something, and I break another...(see my other tech issue thread.) I'm startin g to think I dfon't need to be in this hobby anymore. Any thoughts about pating or do I need another tank?

Thanks,
Ian

sometimesido
April 1st, 2009, 07:12 PM
Wait, so did you puncture your gas tank?
Everybody makes mistakes. Have a beer and take it easy.

ians_04_250
April 1st, 2009, 07:49 PM
Who knew the bolt holes for the upper fairingled directly inot the gas tank...SERIOUSLY? I usually do mpretty good with this kinda stuff, but this is rediculous. The bolts went through the tank, and gas started leaking out.

kkim
April 1st, 2009, 07:55 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14099&highlight=tank+bolt

sometimesido
April 1st, 2009, 08:42 PM
scary. I never got that letter.

ians_04_250
April 1st, 2009, 08:42 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only jackass. Thank you.

kkim
April 1st, 2009, 08:44 PM
it's a common problem with the pregens, so don't feel too bad.

my point in linking that was to show you others have used JB Weld to fix the tank hole. Hope it works for you, too. :thumbup:

komohana
April 1st, 2009, 08:49 PM
hey ian...sorry to hear about the tank.

if you can afford it, i'd just look for another tank, but thats just my own thought.

i know sometimes working on our cycles can be a painful and expensive lesson. don't be too hard on yourself. as you'll discover, you're not the first nor the last to suffer from this particular problem. what i will suggest is that prior to working on your cycle, do abit of research first just to arm yourself with abit more knowledge. i give you credit for even doing that which you've done so far. a little bit of research can go a long way, and will save you time, money and keep ya from going insane when things don't work out. this forum has EXCELLENT threads for alot of do-it-yourself stuff. if you can't find whatcha looking for, post up and somone will help ya.

party on! :party:

ians_04_250
April 1st, 2009, 09:28 PM
thanks everyone!

JScof
April 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Glad I could be an example for you....hahaha! The JB Weld fixed the problem!

ians_04_250
April 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
cool. Thanks everyone. jscof, Can you still use the original bolts, or do you have to break it to get the ferring off?.

MtnCruiser
April 24th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Glad I could be an example for you....hahaha! The JB Weld fixed the problem!

Keep an eye on the JB Weld, it tends to soften up over time when it is in contact with gas. There is an epoxy putty that is made for gas tank repairs that is better to use.

ians_04_250
April 25th, 2009, 08:25 PM
The JB weld wet leaked on me, and so I tried some gasket maker and let it dry for a couple days. It was the hard setting stuff, and resistant to gas, but that didn't work either.
Sooo, I took the tank to Miller welding and machine shop. They couldn't weld it directly because all the residue of crap I gooped it up with. The welding shop, and a radiator shop figured something out, and I can pick up the tank on monday. I'll post some pictures then. I should have taken it to the welding shop right away, then they could have welded it the right way. Don't worry, they have stuff they clean the tank out with so it doesn't go BOOM!

Anyone else who has this problem should find a good welding shop, and fix it the right way. Ya learn something new every day.

kkim
April 25th, 2009, 11:42 PM
sorry, Ian, for the bad advice. My answer used to be "take it to a professional welder", but so many were having success with JB weld, I started recommending that instead.

my apologies... now I know better, too. :thumbup:

ians_04_250
April 26th, 2009, 07:07 AM
no big deal. I probably didn't do something right with the jb weld. I just wonder if they can still bolt those upper bolts on the fairing. The way they made it sound, is that they made a 'bolt' out of the jb weld, but it was permanenty stuck in the hole.

ians_04_250
April 29th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Got my tank back today.
Since the hole was all gooped up, He couldn’t just weld the hole. He threaded in a 6mmX1.0 pitch bolt, and spot welded it.

http://i42.tinypic.com/zn1kjc.jpg

Then he took it across the street to the radiator shop to seal it.

http://i41.tinypic.com/33w2s94.jpg
(The whole inside of the tank is coated with purple sealant)

The radiator shop had to keep the tank for about a week so the sealant could cure…(it took longer due to the ND cold.) I got it put back together today, and I can fill it with gas tomarrow, but will probably wait until Friday. Miller welding and machine shop charged me $30 to do all this… well worth it.

http://i41.tinypic.com/11jqbs3.jpg

Anyone else who has this problem, I suggest you to take it to a Professional welder to have it solved the first time. Thats just my 2 cents, though.

kkim
April 30th, 2009, 04:59 AM
great follow up. Thanks!

I wish more people would do this when they ask for help. The info you provided will be of great value to anyone searching for answers in the future.

:thumbup:

Strider
April 30th, 2009, 06:44 PM
You got a good deal too, we charge more than $30 where I work to do that.
:thumbup: Glad your ready to go back on the road!

ians_04_250
April 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I used to drop stuff off there and pick stuff up there for work, so he gives me a deal. It's all about who you know...kindof.