View Full Version : Accident

Rawr
April 1st, 2009, 07:13 PM
hey all...was just in an accident...was on I-70 between terre haute and indianapolis in indiana...was going 70 mph when i hit a very very very bad patch of pavement...it looke like mogels on a ski hill...i couldnt see it because there was a car in front of me...i tried to slow down but i hit one of the thills and rear was thrown out...it caught and i began to wobble and ocillate...i slammed the throttle trying to get it to straighten out but the rear wheel slipped...i slid across both lanes of traffic and hit the grass median...it was so crazy, when i was on the ground sliding i saw the bike slide by me and hit the grass....spent 6 hours at the hospital getting xrays....im ok, i got lots of road rash on the top of my hand and my knees...not sure how the bike is i didnt get a chance to look at it since they made lay still...i had the farings off on the front as was planning to do some carb work later.....hahaha now that i think about i started a thread earlier today asking if i would incure any damage riding nekkid haha...anyway im pretty sure it was sliding on its right side so i hope the exhaust is ok, ill know saturday...im a little worried about riding again though....but i got to hop back on the horse ya know?

cn: wrecked my bike...im fine...hope she is too =)

Ken
April 1st, 2009, 07:22 PM
Matt,

Sorry to hear you wrecked your bike. Glad to hear you're okay. Were you wearing proper gear?

bob706
April 1st, 2009, 07:27 PM
Glad to hear your fine, well as fine as you can be considering what happened. Hopefully you and your bike will be back on the road soon. Take care

Alex
April 1st, 2009, 07:27 PM
Sorry to hear about your :crash:. Glad you weren't banged up too badly, and post up as soon as you hear more about the bike...

Rawr
April 1st, 2009, 07:34 PM
i was wear a helmet of course and my riding jacket...i was wearing just jeans however but i was surprised i didnt take more leg damage...helmet is completly scratched to hell...i cant imagine my face if i wasnt wearing it...the jacket is totaled too as they had to cute it off my body because they didnt want to move my neck....thanks for the kind words yall...im actually hoping the exahust took the most damage as i am getting area p soon..will let yall know about the bike...i could also post some pretty nasty rash picks if you want =p

OldGuy
April 1st, 2009, 07:49 PM
Matt - sorry to hear about the crash but very happy to hear that you are OK. Bikes and gear can be replaced but not you. Insurance?

sometimesido
April 1st, 2009, 07:50 PM
Damn glad you're alright.

Would the city pay for your damages?

Syphen
April 1st, 2009, 07:59 PM
I've witnessed a few crashes and know that the FIRST thing to do once your on the ground is to get your bike shut off if it isn't already. The 2nd thing to do is get your jacket off if you can move still. The paramedics don't care if its a $800 alpinestars suit or a $2 t-shirt. They will cut it right off.

Glad your okay. Post of some pics of the rash! Lets see how she is.

Nemy
April 1st, 2009, 08:02 PM
Would the city pay for your damages?

This could actually be a possibility for something like you described. Good to hear you're pretty unscathed. Hopefully the bike is just as good.

M-Oorb
April 1st, 2009, 08:07 PM
Glad your ok dude. Musta been a scary event..cant even imagine. But I like where your minds at...if the stock exhaust is toast doesnt really matter cause the area p is better. haha. I think that is all thats needed to be said to show that your doin alright.

Rawr
April 1st, 2009, 08:22 PM
Glad your ok dude. Musta been a scary event..cant even imagine. But I like where your minds at...if the stock exhaust is toast doesnt really matter cause the area p is better. haha. I think that is all thats needed to be said to show that your doin alright.

haha true ture

as far as the city paying for damages im not sure who i would contact...but it would be awsome if they would...i do have insursance but i have a 500 dollar deductible so i doubt the damage will be that much if the bike still runs.

kkim
April 1st, 2009, 08:33 PM
contact the city's road division. You would be surprised what your damage will add up to once it is checked over.

I would notify my insurance and ask them to go after the city for the deductible. I hope you have witnesses.

You were lucky.

AGATT

Ken
April 1st, 2009, 08:40 PM
Matt,

If your state has a department of transportation, most likely you'll need to file a claim with them, if they're responsible for maintaining highways.

Rawr
April 1st, 2009, 08:47 PM
yea it was a highway so i would have to talk to the state... there were lots of witnesses...unfortunatly i wasnt able to get any contact information...maybe it will be in the police report...from what i heard them tell the cop though was that i lost control...i think i may head out tommorrow or saturday and take pictures of the road...ill try to post them too and see what you guys think

kkim
April 1st, 2009, 08:52 PM
pictures for evidence is a good thing to have if you decide to pursue your claim with the city/state. find out who owns that road.

komohana
April 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
poopers matt!!

glad you're ok

Sound Wave
April 1st, 2009, 09:14 PM
matt, glad that you are not seriously injured. that sounds like you had quite a scare. hopefully everything will work out in the end. good luck.

Verus Cidere
April 1st, 2009, 09:41 PM
Sorry about the accident dude! I'm glad to hear you're ok. Oh, and make sure you look into getting a new helmet. If it's scratched as bad as you said, there's probably damage to the shell and it won't help you too much if it happens again. Just a thought... :rolleyes:

Again, glad to hear you're ok! Go get the jerks that didn't fix the road! :D

miks
April 1st, 2009, 10:19 PM
Glad to hear that you're mostly okay, and the bike didn't implode on impact. I hope you have a heal quick, and everything goes well with the bike! take care.

islanderman7
April 1st, 2009, 10:30 PM
Dang, sorry to hear about your bike. Glad you're okay. Heal up soon and get back on.

sharky nrk
April 2nd, 2009, 12:08 AM
I hate the roads here in IN - they are all so damn ******, poor patches and potholes and everything else - hope you get better soon

00v_Lucky
April 2nd, 2009, 01:01 AM
Glad you're okay and see that you can still type even with the road rash on your hands.

Just curious, how thick of gloves were you wearing? I want to know if my icon pursuit gloves will hold up in a crash like that. (Mine are pretty thin, were your gloves leather or some kind of fabric?)

SteveL
April 2nd, 2009, 01:27 AM
It’s good to hear that you survived with out too much damage to yourself; roads are not user friendly when you are sliding on them. Hopefully you will have learnt a valuable lesson, that at high speed you have to leave more space between you and the vehicle in front gives you more time to see problems, good luck for the future.

Steve

Visus
April 2nd, 2009, 02:19 AM
That sucks, man. Get better and back to riding soon.

Rynownd
April 2nd, 2009, 05:43 AM
Wow, sorry to hear about your accident, Matt. Sounds like you came away as unharmed as you could have. Yet another example of why we should always ride with helmets!

I rememeber your thread about riding without plastics, at this point I guess it'as a good thing they weren't on there... saved a couple hundered bucks at least. Also, you have inspired me to stay off I-70. I was planning to take it to see my family recently. (West Lafayette to Indy to Effingham, IL) I decided against it and took all back roads, which wound up being extremely smooth.

Good luck with the recovery and insurance!

RMLegacy
April 2nd, 2009, 06:36 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad to hear that you are OK.

Snake
April 2nd, 2009, 06:36 AM
Sorry to hear about that. Get better soon.

Buffalony
April 2nd, 2009, 06:46 AM
You bought the ticket + Took the ride.

Glad your healthy.

Get a new helmet. Their only good for one of those kinds of spills!

Good luck pursuing the state. Definitely talk to a lawyer right away to see what your options are.

+1 to pictures. Try to get everything when taking the pictures. Your line of sight. The line you took off the road. Get as many angles as posible. Even ground level with a tape measurer against the BS you hit if you can. Go for the best daylight and most importantly when it's not busy. Do it all quick because troopers don't like vehicles sitting or pedestrians walking on state highways. Take pictures of your injuries NOW. Document how the accident makes you feel physically and mentally.
Once again good luck pursuing the state. If you can prove the accident occured because of neglect you might be able to collect.

If you haven't called your insurance company I'd wait. Especially if you think damages total to less than your deductible. Remember; Calling them and telling them you were in an accident or something happened to your vehicle will raise your insurance. Regardless of cost to fix.

Cali619
April 2nd, 2009, 06:59 AM
Glad your OK, you will be back in the saddle again I'm sure, just shake it off and you will ride smarter with with this experience. Just dont ride scared you will think to much...

rceezy
April 2nd, 2009, 07:54 AM
WOW... I am really glad you are doing relatively well. I hope your baby is alright also!

Rawr
April 2nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
Glad you're okay and see that you can still type even with the road rash on your hands.

Just curious, how thick of gloves were you wearing? I want to know if my icon pursuit gloves will hold up in a crash like that. (Mine are pretty thin, were your gloves leather or some kind of fabric?)

gloves were joe rockets...just fabric however..not gauntlets...i think im going to look into some gauntlets now haha...and thanks all for the advice...we are talking with the insurance people about the road and we are going to see how they feel

talked a guy out at the bike just a little while ago...sheared off the right footpeg and brake pedal...exhaust is pretty tour up...broke off mirrors and damaged some other things...i havent seen it yet...but the guy said it is likely to go down as a total...which means ill have to turn in my fairings haha...kinda bummed though...i will have to use the insurance money to pay off my loan....but it really stinks cause the new 09's are more expensive than my 08 was....maybe ill have to look into a used one...will let yall know if they call it a total lost...ill try to get pictures of the road in the next couple of days and maybe the bike too

again thanks all for the kind words

xTKx
April 2nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hey Matt, awesome that you're in such hight spirits despite the recent fall! :thumbup: It def. takes character to keep on going after a pretty bad spill. Glad you're ok man!

Post pics and keep us updated!! :D

BlueTyke
April 2nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Wow I am glad you are okay!

noche_caliente
April 2nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
I'm glad to hear you're ok, but sorry to learn of the accident!
Looking back on it - what are some things you think you might could have done differently to avoid it?
It would be awesome if you could post up or link to pics of the damage of yourself, your gear and your bike along with the road pics so others can learn from the experience.
Heal up fast!

Rawr
April 2nd, 2009, 08:35 PM
well...i was following a car...so i probably could have been following farther back...i would have seen the pavement sooner...when i started wobbling i tried to give it more gas to straighten the bike out as ive learned, but i think the wobble was just too bad

im definitly getting gauntlets and pants now...the helmet really saved me...as did my jacket (kevlar joe rocket one with pads)

attached are some pictures of my hand and knee...that was all that i really hurt...also me in the neck brace before they said it was ok to take it off...also my helmet too...it is pretty dang scratched up cant imagine if that would have been my face...will post pictures of my gloves and maybe a better one of my helmet and of course some of the road once i can get them

if you dont like blood dont look at the attachments haha

paterick4o8
April 3rd, 2009, 01:54 AM
Yikes, but glad to hear you're ok.

I urge you to wear better gear. After my first lowside I learned, and spent my $$ first on getting better gear before actually fixing the unnecessary things on the bike, and I vouch that it was a wise investment.

Get well

miks
April 3rd, 2009, 02:46 AM
Is it me or can you see your bone or something on your hand? Freaky....

Glad to hear that you're still up and about, and that you're planning on getting proper gear.

Also, are you smiling in that picture lol?

Buffalony
April 3rd, 2009, 05:29 AM
:puke: to the hand.

Helmets f-ed.

And your alive and smiling :D:rock:

Great Attitude:thumbup:

miks
April 3rd, 2009, 05:34 AM
Argh, can't get that picture of the hand out of my head, its bloody revolting! But at the same time, I just want to grab a stick and poke at it :boink:

Buffalony
April 3rd, 2009, 06:02 AM
:eek:"MOLE" :eek:

Rawr
April 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
haha...well i was smiling cause my mom said dont smile and it made me crack up haha

insurance people said that it is unlikely that i will win against the state...they said unless it was an area that has several complaints against it, they also said the state will argue that i was driving improperly for the road conditions...he said if it is something i want to persue it would have to be at my own expense bummer =(

insurance people gave me some prelimiary figures and tehy said its looking like around $2300 is what ill get...i have $1300 left on the bike so that iwll give me 1000 or so to put down on a new one...im just bummed i have to pay an extra 500 for an 09 haha

sometimesido
April 3rd, 2009, 11:17 AM
what? try to find a 08 at a dealer.
I know it will be hard, but won't hurt to try.
08's are still listed on the kawi website.

paterick4o8
April 3rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
why not just buy used?

Rawr
April 3rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
yea could buy used...i still would like to finance through a dealer though as i can get no interest for 2 years at most places

Syphen
April 3rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Good pics! Smiling too! If that isn't an advertisement for the pros of wearing a helmet, I don't know what is.

mike_sema
April 3rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
man that sucks glade to see you are alwrite , and this is why I laugh every time I see some one in flip flops no helmet and a wife beater b/c even though you wear protected you still got mess up

Rawr
April 4th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Ok update....here are the damages...and the road...pictures of the road dont really do it justice, but it really was bad believe me.

as far as the damages go...other than cosmetic...the only real damage is a bent handle bar and a broken rear set...i was unable to start it as i didnt have the key..im going back on monday to try and start it and see how it sounds...insurance is going to give roughly 2500 for it...i have 1300 left on my lone...i can buy the bike from insurance for roughly 750...im really thinking of just buying it back...buying the rearset and handle bar....found on for 66.00 and a rear set for 55.00...i can fix the cometics as i go...the exhaust is pretty scratched up but again im getting the area p in a while so i dont really care...rear master cylinder came loose...but it looks like i can just tighten it up and reattache the hose

what do you all think? i might just buy it back if it runs...plus the fairings will cover up most of the engine scratches....as i had them off and they werent involved in the crash

miks
April 4th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Seeing a blue ninja like that just makes me sad :(

Ebay will be your friend.

paterick4o8
April 4th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I guess if you inspect the insides, making sure nothing is loose, there are no leaks or and it runs fine, then sure. Also, if you don't mind the cosmetic damage.. looks like the scratches on your frame on the right and the passenger hanger will be showing all time.

if you can't find any parts through ebay or anything, www.cheapcycleparts.com is a good place to buy from also

Nemy
April 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
ah just saw ur pics. Good to see you're smiling with the brace on :thumbup: And glad to see you caught the typo in the other thread lol

paterick4o8
April 5th, 2009, 09:58 PM
So to even out the bike, I figure I'd share what it'd look like if you went down on the left side also with the fairing on..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/slmboypnoy/250R/CIMG1087.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/slmboypnoy/250R/CIMG1092.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/slmboypnoy/250R/CIMG1097.jpg

it happens bro
my :2cents:

Alex
April 5th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Youch! What happened, Patrick? You OK?

Sound Wave
April 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM
yeah, are you ok?

miks
April 5th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Oh crap, you alright?

zartan
April 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
oh my! so sorry. it always takes me awhile to open the accident threads. gotta muster up the courage. It looks like you will be in for some healing. I am so sorry that you are hurt and the bike is hurt also.

You must have the same ROAD MONKEYS working on your roads as we do. I swear the patch work is most always worse the the road originally was. Local DOT know me by name. GRRR I call and say WTfrick did you do that for???
I swear they hate us motorcyclist. And I just did what I never condone. I just Generalized a group of folks --- the DOT workers. I am sure somebody does good work out there just not in our county and apparently not yours. Get well soon and I say go after the road monkeys just to let them know that substandard patching is not acceptable. Anytime anyone see's that, they should call. Gak,.. I just fell off my soap box....

Get healed quick buddy!!

paterick4o8
April 6th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the concern guys.

This was actually taken almost a year ago when I was a really new rider, so I've been alright since then. To be honest, I've had 3 low-sides since I had the bike; these pictures showing the worst damage the bike's ever taken. All happened while failing to negotiate a turn by basically coming in too hot and I admit fault.

Haha funny story is my last fall happened starting at a stop light making, a left.. I think my tires were cold + moist ground (due to mist) + oil slick because all I remember was being on the ground like "what happened???". This one hurt the most, but no serious injuries.

No worries though, my bike's now equipped with sliders, and rearsets. I'm just waiting for the front and left fairings in the mail to replace the cosmetics :D

miks
April 6th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Be sure to post up pictures of the bike after all the repairs!

rookie
April 6th, 2009, 05:07 AM
going 20-25 when a woman starts to pull out in front of me....

miks
April 6th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Oh my, glad to see that you're alright... is that the only damaged that happened to you?

And is there a trend here .. 3 accidents, 3 blue bikes :confused:

rookie
April 6th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Oh my, glad to see that you're alright... is that the only damaged that happened to you?

Also my hip and calf are very sore

miks
April 6th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Heal up fast mate, hope everything goes well!

BlueTyke
April 6th, 2009, 06:30 AM

Sssshhhh!!! :shifty: Nobad juju thoughts! Good vibes only!

zartan
April 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM
This was actually taken almost a year ago when I was a really new rider,Patrick I am glad you are ok too. I thought your picts were old glad I was right. I was commenting on Rwar's picts with the bad patch on the road. I have been a bull dog about it lately. Sunny you will be fine. It is all over in threes. ok? oooommmmmm good juju

Rookie that is such a bummer. Take care ok?

Rawr
April 6th, 2009, 08:57 AM
bad things happen in 3...so we are covered for blue bike accidents...and since we all know blue is the fastest color, it is bound to have the most accidents haha

azia
April 6th, 2009, 09:36 AM
dayyummm!! so glad to hear that you are okay!!!

SpyderGirl
April 6th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Glad to hear you are okay and were wearing a helmet especially since a lot of guys out in Indy choose to go without. The last time I was out there my uncle showed up at my mom's house on his Harley without a helmet and rode home over a hour in the pouring rain. What a moron.

Rawr
April 6th, 2009, 02:43 PM
bike is fine...runs like a champ and purrs like a kitten...i am going to buy it back from the insurance company and fix the damages myself...when it is done i will post pictures

rookie
April 6th, 2009, 02:46 PM
bike is fine...runs like a champ and purrs like a kitten...i am going to buy it back from the insurance company and fix the damages myself...when it is done i will post pictures

Cool she lives on...

chinasmurf
April 6th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident, but great attitude dude. I got into a spill as a passenger a few years back and I had raspberries on my face, hand and legs, knees. And broke a middle finger. LOL Yea it was flipping bird daily for a while LOL

I hope you luck with getting back on the road safe!

Cheers

Diana