View Full Version : New guy from Eastern Ct.

ekonkjack
January 10th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Hello everyone. I've been riding since the early seventies. Started out on a Yamaha RD350 and have had seven bikes total right up to the 04 RoadStar that has been absolutely super. Lately (past year or so) I have been thinking that I have been missing out on a different type of riding experience. With a sport bike you are more intimate with the road and I miss the flickability of a smaller bike. I will keep the RoadStar as the wife likes to ride with me but I am considering the Ninja 250 as a second bike. Is there anyone on this site that has both a cruiser and the Ninja 250? At 5'8" and 170lbs, do you think the bike would be a good fit for me? Thanks everyone and ride safe.

csmith12
January 10th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Welcome Paul! There may be others but I have had both a few cruisers and 2 250's. Much is the same, much is different. 5'8'' & 170 aye? Physically, your just fine for the bike, riding it however is a personal preference.

From the cruiser world, 3 main things are gunna be different; low end torque vs. high end torque, low engine rmps vs high engine rmps and the turn rate. Sure, you can flick a cruiser but it just isn't quiet the same.

Any chance of test riding one before you commit? Not that committing is so bad, even if you hate it, you can resell at nearly the purchase price.

csmith12
January 10th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Why am I getting the feeling I should ask.. What are you wanting out of a 250? Commuting? Fun? Something else?

ekonkjack
January 10th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Well, economy, more fun in the twisties, and maybe a chance to annoy my HD riding friends that look down on anyone that isn't riding a bike like theirs. I have tried to explain to them that compared to their heavy cruiser, riding a sport bike is like the difference between a cement truck and a Porche. I am not interested in a powerful bike as I don't plan to outrun the law as I did on the RD350 back in the early seventies. I would also get to ride with a different crowd now and then. While the Roadstar can get near 50mpg, I'm sure the Ninja gets much better fuel economy.

csmith12
January 10th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Cool! From the non bike specific point of view, after a year on a sport bike, I got a whole new set of friends. Younger ones... initially the wife wasn't happy about that. lol But she came around.

CC Cowboy
January 10th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Eastern CT is like Western Rhode Island, great roads and no traffic. Talk to Gordon Razee at Razees in North Kingstown, RI. He is a great guy and not only does he give good deals, he does local rides and trackdays. He might be able to give you a test ride if he has a bike available.

If you end up buying from him remind him of my 50% commission.

DEFY
January 10th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Welcome!!!

JohnnyBravo
January 10th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Get a 300... You won't be sorry... I'm a bit shorter an maybe 15-20 lbs less

Motofool
January 10th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Hello everyone. I've been riding since the early seventies..........

Welcome to our site, Paul !!!

Please, visit and enrich our Riding Skills section with your experience.

KJohnson21
January 10th, 2014, 09:05 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=1195

Snake
January 14th, 2014, 01:13 AM
Hello and welcome. :bounce:

adouglas
January 15th, 2014, 03:17 PM
5'7" and about 170 here. The Ninjette will fit you like a glove.

One very important note if you're coming from a cruiser...

Cruisers are all about low RPM and torque. The Ninjette is diametrically opposed to this. Wring its little Japanese neck and you will be rewarded with a lot of fun. Screaming along at 8-10k rpm is par for the course. Ride it around at 5000 rpm and you'll be whinging about how gutless it is.

Bottom line is that the harder you ride this bike, the better it gets.

Jetting a 250 and putting a full exhaust on it ups the power into 300 territory and really transforms the bike. Or consider a 300...

By the way, since you're out that way... don't know if you're into it, but there's a track opening up near you, in Thompson. The track day organizations are already lining up dates and there's a free seminar/track walk being hosted by Tony's on March 15. http://www.tonystrackdays.com

ekonkjack
January 16th, 2014, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone, and adouglas I hear you about the difference from a cruiser. The differences are what appeal to me. My 04 1700cc RoadStar has 90ft.lbs. of tourque at only 2k rpms and can get up to almost 85 in third gear pretty quickly despite its 780lbs.. There is no other v-twin cruiser that I would trade it for and I have had a couple of Harleys too. For a couple of years I have been feeling that I am missing out on a very different kind of riding experience. At 61yo I am not out to challenge anyone at breakneck speed but it is the handling and economy of the Ninjette that has my attention. At only 250cc the insurance must be low and gas mileage high. I do know about the track events at Thompson speedway and will make an effort to attend.

adouglas
January 16th, 2014, 06:29 AM
The cost of insurance is going to make you giggle like a little girl. I promise.

Just remember that this bike is about momentum... you have almost no torque (I mean, like less than a circular saw), so it's not about getting a kick in the butt. It's about building speed and not losing it. Your corner entry speeds will be a lot higher and you'll carry more speed through the turn.

So if you're out with your Harley pals you'll be outrunning them easily in the twisties but they'll out-accelerate you once the road straightens. Get in the back of the pack and they'll laugh at your inability to keep up... until you start breathing down their neck on your teeny tiny beginner rice burner as soon as the road turns curvy. Drives 'em nuts. And that's fun.