View Full Version : 2013 Ninja 300 vs 2014 Ninja 300 SE?

ProDigit
January 14th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Any difference?

If so, what is it, and should I go for a 2013 or a couple of hundred bucks more expensive 2014?

old3
January 14th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Same bike but for decals/colors. I'd pick my fav looking one or if you like both use the saved $ for better brake pads, SS braided brake hose at least up front and All Balls steering head bearings.

ProDigit
January 14th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Why would I need to change anything from a brand new bike?

I wanted to go Kawasaki, because I wanted to get rid of wrenching on my Chinese bikes.

fishdip
January 14th, 2014, 08:10 PM

I wanted to go Kawasaki, because I wanted to get rid of wrenching on my Chinese bikes.

Because the bike is made cheep.

Sykes92
January 14th, 2014, 09:29 PM

Why wouldn't you? Mods allow to you to customize the bike to your riding style. And improve on the cheap parts. Including tires too. The stock tires aren't that good on the 300's.

ProDigit
January 14th, 2014, 09:42 PM
I'm not racing with the bike, but I do hope that no matter how cheap the parts are, that I can get at least 30k-50k miles out of the stock parts? (save the tires/brakes)

With that, I mean I don't want to be changing brake calipers/handlebars and other stuff that should be lifetime guarantee.?

Alex
January 14th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Well, there's no such thing as a lifetime guarantee. (I believe it's 1 year, unlimited miles, but I'm sure someone will jump in to confirm). It's your bike, and if you ride it and are perfectly happy with it as is, there's no need to touch a thing. It is as reliable as any mass-produced bike at this point, which means good but not perfect. Riding style will determine whether one is happy with the stock tires & brake pads, or if one feels like they aren't meeting their expectations out of the gate. For me, pads were a cheap upgrade to get the feel I wanted. The stock 250 pads were pretty darned good, but the stock 300 pads are just way too gentle and require much more force for a given stop than I prefer. One rider who did want stickier tires right away had the dealer deliver the bike with better tires, likely getting a deal with them in the initial purchase.

fishdip
January 14th, 2014, 10:18 PM
I'm not racing with the bike, but I do hope that no matter how cheap the parts are, that I can get at least 30k-50k miles out of the stock parts? (save the tires/brakes)

With that, I mean I don't want to be changing brake calipers/handlebars and other stuff that should be lifetime guarantee.?

Good luck with that. most stuff will last you 15k after that the parts go down hill fast. The 300 has had a lot of problem's in its short life on the market if you want a true long lasting bike look at the pregen 250.

Alex
January 15th, 2014, 12:19 AM
:rolleyes:

ninja250r81
January 15th, 2014, 02:48 AM
Well, there's no such thing as a lifetime guarantee.

I think "lifetime" is only warranted to the original purchaser of the product.

and also "lifetime" is until the product its on no longer ceases to function and is beyond repair.

Hope not like Ferrari, the body is in rust pile on the floor and the motor still runs. You won't get the frame or body parts replaced until the motor stops running. Then they rebuild the motor and still not replace the frame or body parts.

JohnnyBravo
January 15th, 2014, 07:40 AM
A 300 is a 300... You may ride it for years and years and not see one issue, or you can be spoiled and needy like some riders (me) I have no real problem with my 300... I saw plenty of miles on Ryan's, and he had a lot more miles on his, still no problem. Yet I have things I want to change on mine, suspension work, new balls, a few mods here and there for more power.
I would get a 13 model personally... But I don't like the color schemes of the '14, and it would leave me some money for the extras I wanted. What you do personally is up to you!

csmith12
January 15th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Yet I have things I want to change on mine, suspension work, new balls, a few mods here and there for more power.

Balls? For the bike or the rider? :)

JohnnyBravo
January 15th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Balls? For the bike or the rider? :)

Bike... I have slop in my steering and that whole knocking in the neck... I ain't skeered. Maybe I could tighten it up and get it trackin, but might as well fix the problem instead of throwing a band aid on it.

Boom King
January 15th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Other than cosmetics, the only difference I've heard about on the 2014s are new fairings and part numbers which were supposed to fix the fairing gap and pop out issue some had on the 2013 models.

Alex
January 15th, 2014, 07:56 AM
The part numbers change when the colors change. I hadn't seen anything about the fairings being physically different in any way.

Boom King
January 15th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I've seen new parts numbers listed for the ebony, assuming the 2013 ebony is the same as the 2014 ebony. I first heard about this on another 300 forum... don't worry, I'm not a member, just a lurker :o. But one member received a phone call from Kawasaki in response to a letter he had sent and that they were sending his dealer new fairings with revised part numbers that were supposed to fix the alignment issues.

old3
January 15th, 2014, 09:43 AM
The 300 is a half step above a Chinese bike and a half step below what Japanese bikes used to be, both literally and figuratively. My steering bearings failed at around 7-800 miles. I adjusted them but the damage was done, super cheapo China grade metal on the races.

The brakes are marginal at best. Yes, the will stop the bike, but the balance is way off, the master cylinder piston is too big and it lacks feel. The pads and SS hose will make them OK, still not great.

Depends on what you really want. If it is a turn key 50k mile bike, look elsewhere. I doubt the rear shock will have any damping at 10k miles. It is disposable.

The engine is sweet. They did the job there. 50k miles shouldn't be any issue with normal use and care. The few bits that are glaringly bad are easy to fix.

ProDigit
January 15th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Not out on what im gonna buy yet.
The Kawasaki is lightweight and nimble, with a low gravity, but $5,5k, and pretty hard seat and suspension. Fuel mileage could be better as well.
Suzuki GW250 is number two in performance, and worst gas mileage of the 4, and I feel the handle bars are way too low for a tall person. About 10in too low, due to the higher seating compared to the kawa. It's also significantly heavier, and feels heavier.
Number 3 will be the Honda Rebel, probably my new bike. Best seat, better gas mileage, twin cylinder, soft suspension. Somewhat cramped handlebars need to go up an inch or two, not to hit my legs.
Last, the suzuki TU250x, best gas mileage, reasonable seating position, lowest speed, is only a single cyl, and worst looks.
So far, my eye is on the rebel250, even though I prefer the looks of the ninja

old3
January 15th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Where are you? You don't get the Honda CBR 250/300? The KTM 125/200/390?

Byakkotai
January 15th, 2014, 02:48 PM
While the headlights still bug me kinda...the RC390 is looking more and more appealing. I'd love to have one compliment the 300 :thumbup:

Still have my 300 in almost stocker form (tires swap only). Probably gonna do a brake pad and maybe SS lines mod soon as the stock spongy-ness is starting to get to my head.

Alex
January 15th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Number 3 will be the Honda Rebel, probably my new bike. Best seat, better gas mileage, twin cylinder, soft suspension. Somewhat cramped handlebars need to go up an inch or two, not to hit my legs.

The Rebel is a twin, but it's an old-tech air-cooled, carbed design. It makes 16-18 hp at the rear wheel, depending on dyno, which is just about half what the Ninja 300 makes. Its top speed is going to be 70 mph in many conditions. If the bike is only for getting around town, and it fits you well, it may suit the use case. But as much as Ninja 250/300 and CBR250/300 owners want for more power, Rebel riders are coming to the party with 1/2 to 2/3 the available oomph, in the same traffic conditions.

fishdip
January 15th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Not out on what im gonna buy yet.
The Kawasaki is lightweight and nimble, with a low gravity, but $5,5k, and pretty hard seat and suspension. Fuel mileage could be better as well.
Suzuki GW250 is number two in performance, and worst gas mileage of the 4, and I feel the handle bars are way too low for a tall person. About 10in too low, due to the higher seating compared to the kawa. It's also significantly heavier, and feels heavier.
Last, the suzuki TU250x, best gas mileage, reasonable seating position, lowest speed, is only a single cyl, and worst looks.
So far, my eye is on the rebel250, even though I prefer the looks of the ninja

Good luck with the rebel its worse then the 300 and that is saying something.

terasu12
January 15th, 2014, 03:24 PM
thanks for the welcome everybody. I am enjoyng every single ride,riding is very fun :)

old3
January 15th, 2014, 03:35 PM
While the headlights still bug me kinda...the RC390 is looking more and more appealing. I'd love to have one compliment the 300 :thumbup:

Still have my 300 in almost stocker form (tires swap only). Probably gonna do a brake pad and maybe SS lines mod soon as the stock spongy-ness is starting to get to my head.

There is so much more to a bike than how the headlights look. My 2000 KTM Duke 640 had projector style lights that were excellent at doing what they should, lighting the road.

The 300 lighting, while I guess attractive to some, (?) isn't much to boast about in the dark. I added 65w bulbs and it can easily outrun the available light at night.

ProDigit
January 16th, 2014, 10:28 PM
I sat on the CBR250, but imho the Ninja 300 outpaces it in all aspects.
Suspension on all bikes is the same stiffness in the sub $5,5k segment, with the exception on the Honda Rebel, which is soft like a feather (and I prefer soft rides).
I also accidentally found out the Rebel 250 has rubber damping in the handlebars, to absorb vibrations, something the other bikes don't have.
A P-Twin engine like the rebel's is already supposed to be nearly vibration free, thanks to it not having a counterweight like a thumper engine.

Seats are just about as hard on all bikes in the segment, with the racing bikes (CBR and Ninja) having the worst seats (hardest, least suited for 1,5-2+ hrs of riding), the TU250x second, the rest third worst (or second best seats), and the Honda Rebel 250 has an air cushion seat, which is way better than all other bikes, and I could comfortably ride it all day.

The Honda Rebel is also only 234cc, not 250 or 249cc; which makes it have a lower displacement than most other bikes. The Rebel, like other bikes, is geared too low, so doing a sprocket change can easily up the speed by 5MPH, most people had topped it out at 80MPH.
Stock the Rebel comes with 14/33T sprockets, but one can plug in a 15/30T sprocket, and get 100+MPGs, I'm looking into the option of installing a 15/29 or 15/28.

Most of the non-racing bikes have long stroke engines, which means their torque is way higher than the racing bikes, even the Ninja 300, below 4k RPM; but then again, most of the sports bikes only start riding from 2kRPM (~1k on a long stroke engine).

I've come to the conclusion that for my style of riding, all I really need is a 200cc long stroke, or a 150cc short stroke engine. I don't need the 300 to go 45MPH.
I mainly want comfort, and easy maneuverability.
All of the 250s apply, save for the GW250 which is almost 100LBS heavier than most other bikes, and has a much higher point of gravity.

The Rebel comes closest to what I need, but I figured I will save up some more, or wait until the Japanese Yen has dropped in price. Japanese bikes (even Taiwanese) are 20% higher priced than 2 years ago.

old3
January 17th, 2014, 09:36 AM
I don't even know where to begin on that post. :eek:

Sirref
January 17th, 2014, 10:02 AM

for sure the RC390 would be what I would most likely get if I get smashed by a left turning car, my 300 gets stolen, or anything else happens to it. Luckily all of the problems with the kawi 300 can be fixed, suspension and brakes are easy they just cost money and a bit of time. engines though, those can be tricky and the kawasaki 300's engine seems to be fantastic. I have the same view when looking at the Yamaha FZ-9 vs the Street Triple R. they're both great bikes but the FZ-9 needs suspension and brakes to match the Triumph and at that point they cost the same. I'm not sure which bike comes out on top at that point though.

Xtina
January 17th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Because the bike is made cheep.

Compared to the chinese bikes this one will prolly feel like a dream to him.

Byakkotai
January 20th, 2014, 11:08 AM
There is so much more to a bike than how the headlights look. My 2000 KTM Duke 640 had projector style lights that were excellent at doing what they should, lighting the road.

The 300 lighting, while I guess attractive to some, (?) isn't much to boast about in the dark. I added 65w bulbs and it can easily outrun the available light at night.

I was kinda hoping for a bit more "RC8" pedigree but I will agree that function is important. Still think the 300 looks a bit funny if viewed head on from the front but...:rolleyes:

http://www.motorbeam.com/wp-content/uploads/KTM-RC-390-India1.jpg

PartsNinja
January 21st, 2014, 06:49 AM
I was kinda hoping for a bit more "RC8" pedigree but I will agree that function is important. Still think the 300 looks a bit funny if viewed head on from the front but...:rolleyes:

http://www.motorbeam.com/wp-content/uploads/KTM-RC-390-India1.jpg

UMM, this exists? Are they releasing this in the US? If so when?

mania
February 2nd, 2014, 05:25 PM
Looks like the rc390 is on the street testing in India?

Looks like a typical spy shot :)

old3
February 2nd, 2014, 07:39 PM
Hope they got a different guy than the one that missed the Kawasaki 300's fairings popping out! :rotflmao: