View Full Version : List of mods so far

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Ok so the following thread will include a list of mods i wish to do and the ones ive alredy done to my bike.

List of pending mods :

Completed mods :

12 MM Nissin master cylinder for the front.
Steel braided Brake lines for the front and the back.
Foldable re-sizable adjustable levers
Ninja 636 Clutch Perch
red anodised nuts for the fuel cover on the tank.
michelin pilot street tyres
cf swingarm spools
Akra slip on from the old 636
15 Teeth JT front sprocket
gixxer 600 shock Almost done :)
Woodcraft clipons.
Tapered steering stem roller bearings.
SSR Preload Adjusters
Bazzaz Zfi TC(Installed)
Tokico 4 pot caliper for the front.

a few pics of the braking upgrade

JohnnyBravo
January 16th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Looking and sounding good so far:thumbup:

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 10:44 AM
thank you .. im still hunting for a good caliper. if i dont find one ill go for the ducati 748 one with the ssr bracket.

JohnnyBravo
January 16th, 2014, 10:47 AM
That rim tape come on your bike, and what color scheme is that? looks like the solid green we didn't get in the states.

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 10:49 AM
yeah so the rim tape i bough separately. and the color scheme is the basic 300. we in india didnt get the special edition or the abs version of the bike.

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 10:50 AM
a better view.

the exhaust has been shortened so bear with the extremely long exhaust.

old3
January 16th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Was there a donor bike for the Nissan 12mm master cylinder? Seen it in 13mm?

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 09:57 PM
not exactly a donor bike since it was from a friend's 636. there is a guy who gets all these parts from crashed bikes from dealerships over here. so he has tons of forks master cyls calipers lying around. literally tons. even brembos. so tomm im hoping to get my hands on a nice caliper for this master cyl coz its way too hard right now.

Was there a donor bike for the Nissan 12mm master cylinder? Seen it in 13mm?

old3
January 16th, 2014, 10:12 PM
If you search my threads I added a Tokico 4 piston to my 300 off a GSXR with a pretty simple aluminum bracket. It is a really good match with the 13mm stock master. I'll look at the 636, by donor I just meant what bike it was stock on. Thank you!

Good direction to look into. Your sure it is a 12mm piston? That bike pushes at least 8 if not 12 pistons in the calipers? I'd have thought it was bigger than that. I'd think even with my 4 piston cal it would lack any feel at the lever.

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 10:14 PM
yup i remember looking at your thread. but the bracket is a little difficult.

it pushes 8 pistons for sure. and if you could help me with the bracket i would definitely go for the 4 pot tokico. what year gixxer was it take off of?

old3
January 16th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Hey, ummm. I'll have to go check my thread.

I see a 14 cast on the bottom of a zx636 master cylinder so I'm thinking it is a 14mm piston. Does yours say 12?

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 10:19 PM
yeesh ur right :O i never thought id misread. it is indeed a 14mm mas cyl. u think it will be too much for even the 4 pot?

old3
January 16th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Here is the thread, it was a 2002 GSXR but I've got a front end off a CBR 929/954 and they use the same one too. 2000-2004 at least I believe. If I did it again I'd find a CBR 330mm rotor to refit on a custom carrier for my wheel and go from there with the caliper bracket. I'm looking into that now.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123397

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Here is the thread, it was a 2002 GSXR but I've got a front end off a CBR 929/954 and they use the same one too. 2000-2004 at least I believe. If I did it again I'd find a CBR 330mm rotor to refit on a custom carrier for my wheel and go from there with the caliper bracket. I'm looking into that now.

no pics? :(

old3
January 16th, 2014, 10:23 PM
yeesh ur right :O i never thought id misread. it is indeed a 14mm mas cyl. u think it will be too much for even the 4 pot?

I'd try it, in fact I might just do it anyway. I'd bet I'd lose some feel but Rojo
(sp) was using a bigger master on his IIRC.I'm pretty happy with the lever feel as it is, but more power wouldn't hurt either! That's one reason I'm looking at the bigger rotor. I'm spoiled by sumoto brakes.

old3
January 16th, 2014, 10:24 PM
no pics? :(

Bugger. I'll take new ones tomorrow! Sorry about that! :eek:

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 10:25 PM

something like this? and what should i do about the bracket?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-02-SUZUKI-GSXR-750-FRONT-RIGHT-BRAKE-CALIPER-FREE-SHIPPING-/171190167970?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27dbbaa9a2&vxp=mtr

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Bugger. I'll take new ones tomorrow! Sorry about that! :eek:

lol its ok.. for today i'll be happy completing my gixxer shock install. the only doubt im having is where and how much do i need to cut the undertail and will my airbox get exposed if i cut it?

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 10:27 PM
I'd try it, in fact I might just do it anyway. I'd bet I'd lose some feel but Rojo
(sp) was using a bigger master on his IIRC.I'm pretty happy with the lever feel as it is, but more power wouldn't hurt either! That's one reason I'm looking at the bigger rotor. I'm spoiled by sumoto brakes.

sounds like a good idea. the 2 things i'll need to change are pads and caliper. its not like the bike isnt braking but its just too damn hard.

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 10:31 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-02-Suzuki-GSX-R750-Front-Right-Brake-Caliper-GSXR750-S101902-16A-/111207986222?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e483342e&vxp=mtr

found this also. if this works then im golden. ill save a lot of money . oither wise my only other option is a ducati 748 brembo and a ssr bracket. that's 200 dollars :S

old3
January 16th, 2014, 10:31 PM
something like this? and what should i do about the bracket?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-02-SUZUKI-GSXR-750-FRONT-RIGHT-BRAKE-CALIPER-FREE-SHIPPING-/171190167970?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27dbbaa9a2&vxp=mtr

Yep, that looks like it. I got a nearly new one super cheap. I've been told they don't like road salt but I'm in my second winter of using it and it has been coated with salt for weeks at a time, no problems.

The air box, you just need to cut the flap hanging off behind the shock. you don't need to cut into the box at all. IIRC I used a long sawzall blade for wood and went in thru the side, very slowly. It was clipped off in a few strokes of the saw blade. Again, very slow!

I think it pointed down-ish, towards the rear of the bike, like a splash shield for the shock? I don't have an air box or I'd go look at it for you bud. Sorry I'm just going from recollection. It should be obvious, right where the new shock reservoir will be.

Shoot a pic and I'll try to help if you need it.

Jim

old3
January 16th, 2014, 10:34 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-02-Suzuki-GSX-R750-Front-Right-Brake-Caliper-GSXR750-S101902-16A-/111207986222?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e483342e&vxp=mtr

found this also. if this works then im golden. ill save a lot of money . oither wise my only other option is a ducati 748 brembo and a ssr bracket. that's 200 dollars :S

How about a 6 piston caliper off a Japanese bike. Didn't the Hyabusa use 6 piston calipers? Go big as you already have a (probably too) big master.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-SUZUKI-GSX-1300R-HYABUSA-RIGHT-FRONT-CALIPER-/380715961871?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a4708e0f&vxp=mtr

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 10:34 PM
hmmm there is indeed a flap type thingy and i think i'll take my dremel to it. would be cleaner since i lack any experience with a saw :P

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 10:35 PM
How about a 6 piston caliper off a Japanese bike. Didn't the Hyabusa use 6 piston calipers? Go big as you already have a (probably too) big master.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-SUZUKI-GSX-1300R-HYABUSA-RIGHT-FRONT-CALIPER-/380715961871?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a4708e0f&vxp=mtr

hmmmm would it even fit on the 280mm rotor?

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 10:38 PM

i would need ac ompletely different bracket for this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-07-Suzuki-Hayabusa-GSX1300R-Front-Brake-Calipers-TOKICO-/360838583077?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2002%7CModel%3AHayabusa&hash=item5403a7d325&vxp=mtr

old3
January 16th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Mine bit on the painted center a lil. No harm, it is all the same material. I'd explore it at least. Find out the size of the Busa rotors and the GSXR, which I'm 99% sure were 320mm. Can you get one at the local source to test fit? Maybe get a few measurements from a Hyabusa forum?

old3
January 16th, 2014, 10:39 PM
i would need ac ompletely different bracket for this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-07-Suzuki-Hayabusa-GSX1300R-Front-Brake-Calipers-TOKICO-/360838583077?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2002%7CModel%3AHayabusa&hash=item5403a7d325&vxp=mtr

You'll need a new bracket regardless. Mine is billet aluminum. You have a milling guy? Machinist? It can be done in steel too if you have a welder/fab guy or the skills yourself.

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Mine bit on the painted center a lil. No harm, it is all the same material. I'd explore it at least. Find out the size of the Busa rotors and the GSXR, which I'm 99% sure were 320mm. Can you get one at the local source to test fit? Maybe get a few measurements from a Hyabusa forum?

just looked it up. definitely 320 mm

shadewalker
January 16th, 2014, 10:42 PM
You'll need a new bracket regardless. Mine is billet aluminum. You have a milling guy? Machinist? It can be done in steel too if you have a welder/fab guy or the skills yourself.

i have both in fact. even a guy who is exceptionally good with a lathe. but i need some specifications. otherwise ill be shooting blind.

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 06:54 AM
First of all i wanna thank old3, cuong-nutz and Rexbo. their info made this a hell of a lot easier for me.

it feels tremendous but i will have to play around with the damping and compression to get a final feel.

i had to cut a little area in the undertail to make the reservoir fit keeping the airbox untouched.

csmith12
January 17th, 2014, 07:06 AM
i had to cut a little area in the undertail to make the reservoir fit keeping the airbox untouched.

Yep, I did too. It was shown in Rexbo's thread, so I knew I had to do that ahead of time.

Post up your settings when you git it all dialed in and stuff. I need to post up mine too. :thumbup:

TnNinjaGirl
January 17th, 2014, 07:13 AM
I was interested in swapping the master cylinder on my bike too. Good to see someone else doing it. Looks good.

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 07:14 AM
feels horrible though as of now. till i upgrade to the tokico 4 pot caliper. after that im sure its gonna feel awesome

TnNinjaGirl
January 17th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Noted. I'll keep checking back to see how it feels after that.

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 07:19 AM
shouldnt take too long. maybe a week to 10 days and i should have that too. i just hope old3 can get me the drawings for the bracket :D :D

Sirref
January 17th, 2014, 07:30 AM
a better view.

the exhaust has been shortened so bear with the extremely long exhaust.

god that solid green I couldn't get looks clean and sexy as hell, very beautiful bike :)

which mod do you feel has had the biggest impact on your riding, I feel that it will be the gsxr shock but other mods to do myself down the line are always good.

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 07:35 AM
thanks. my bike has actually been opticoated. so its pretty easy to keep it clean inspite of all the dirt here.

the most difference i felt after making a mod was with the front sprocket. it just goes on and on in 1st now. feels so much better i cant tell you. you need to experience it yourself.

i think my fav mod is has been the steel brake lines. makes a huge difference.
second would be the exhaust. man this thing sounds wicket. ill put up a video soon with the sound and the diy bracket i had to make to make it fit.

i havent had a chance to go to the track yet since i just completed the shock and im still playing around with the sag setting. also i need to educate myself as how these gas shocks work.

but the 2 mods im most excited about are the clipons and bazzaz ZFI-TC. that should be fun

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 07:36 AM
god that solid green I couldn't get looks clean and sexy as hell, very beautiful bike :)

which mod do you feel has had the biggest impact on your riding, I feel that it will be the gsxr shock but other mods to do myself down the line are always good.

a pic displaying the finish of the bike after a month of opticoat.

Sirref
January 17th, 2014, 07:37 AM
I can imagine clipons being my favorite mod should I end up installing some. In the meantime a 600cc shock install seems like one of, if not the, most likely mods that I'll be doing in the future, and yes I'm right there with you on the front sprocket change it made a magical difference.

Sirref
January 17th, 2014, 07:38 AM
a pic displaying the finish of the bike after a month of opticoat.

wow...my bike looks the opposite right now with it's daily dose of salt, I wash it every week when I clean/lube the chain but it just gets dirty again right away :(

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 07:39 AM
after the clipons ill definitely get the ssr preload adjuster as well. its must for this bike.

oh and i forgot to mention. the tyre swap also made a HUGE difference. the michelin pilot street radials offer so much more grip in wet and dry conditions. one try with engine braking showed me the immense grip they offered. irc in my option are nothing but rim protectors. sheesh super duper hard. i was pushing the bike really hard on the track and they still werent getting soft.

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 07:41 AM
wow...my bike looks the opposite right now with it's daily dose of salt, I wash it every week when I clean/lube the chain but it just gets dirty again right away :(

get opticoat done. cost me 80 usd(5000inr) best money i have ever spent on detailing. water falls right off. a coat of wax a month is all that i need to do now. and yeah i dont use hard covers. get a tyvek or large thick sheet of cloth. works well to keep the bike protected.

Sirref
January 17th, 2014, 07:43 AM
I swear every time someone mentions a tire change I feel like I'm missing something, I had the stock dunlops (PoS tires that were also 12 years old) on my 250 when I had it and I couldn't go through a corner in the wet at any speed without having the back end slide a bit so my IRC's actually feel like they have loads of grip. Once I get some pirelli diablo rosso II's this summer I may be singing a different tune, I wouldn't even consider getting new tires until I wore these down without hearing so many people complain about them.

Sirref
January 17th, 2014, 07:47 AM
get opticoat done. cost me 80 usd(5000inr) best money i have ever spent on detailing. water falls right off. a coat of wax a month is all that i need to do now. and yeah i dont use hard covers. get a tyvek or large thick sheet of cloth. works well to keep the bike protected.

I'll definitely look into it, you can't go wrong making your bike all shiny and nice. One mod you should consider that I don't see on your list is Spencer's seats.
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php it's fairly inexpensive and I've heard good things about the improved comfort for longer rides.

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 08:01 AM
I'll definitely look into it, you can't go wrong making your bike all shiny and nice. One mod you should consider that I don't see on your list is Spencer's seats.
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php it's fairly inexpensive and I've heard good things about the improved comfort for longer rides.

now that is something i have been looking for. me and my gf both find the rear seat unbearable. any word on how much it would cost?

Sirref
January 17th, 2014, 08:06 AM
now that is something i have been looking for. me and my gf both find the rear seat unbearable. any word on how much it would cost?

Cost is listed under FAQ (odd place for it) It looks like $65-100 depending on how much you want the seats upgraded, $50 for the rider's seat, $15 for the passenger and optional "LD" upgrading for extra padding. They look stock afterwards and feel great even without the extra padding that you can get in addition to the main job. I believe you only need to pay for shipping there but don't quote me on that.

it is US based so you'll need to factor that in on the turnaround but they're usually good about that so it shouldn't be too unbearable though shipping to india will likely add a few days.

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Cost is listed under FAQ (odd place for it) It looks like $65-100 depending on how much you want the seats upgraded, $50 for the rider's seat, $15 for the passenger and optional "LD" upgrading for extra padding. They look stock afterwards and feel great even without the extra padding that you can get in addition to the main job. I believe you only need to pay for shipping there but don't quote me on that.

it is US based so you'll need to factor that in on the turnaround but they're usually good about that so it shouldn't be too unbearable though shipping to india will likely add a few days.

timing is not an issue for me. the ninja isnt my primary vehicle although ive added more kms in lesser time than my car :P. ive sent them a mail asking them to gimme a quote on the swap + shipping.

btw gimme 2 min.. ill take a quick photo of the bike to show u how good the opticoat looks even after 4 months :)

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 08:38 AM

There u go :)

Sirref
January 17th, 2014, 08:40 AM
that shine is beautiful, I definitely want opticoat this spring. What tank protector is that? I've been considering getting one that covers more space.

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 08:45 AM
that shine is beautiful, I definitely want opticoat this spring. What tank protector is that? I've been considering getting one that covers more space.

i told you. and its super maintenance free. after it being covered in much from the shocker swap all it took was as lightly damp cloth to wipe everything off and the one with a dry cloth. btw make use u use microfibre.

ii buy these in bulk

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Sheen-Shine-Microfiber-Auto-Care-Cloth-4pcs-free-2pcs-Instrument-Care-Cloth-/161184270030?pt=IN_Car_Accessories_Parts&hash=item258754c6ce&_uhb=1

and that's a keiti tank protector. i think its good enough. im considering getting traction dots for the side as well. i had a hard time gripping my tank on the track

http://www.keiti.com/goods/goods-ins.php?index_id=608

choneofakind
January 17th, 2014, 08:48 AM
shadewalker

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27991&d=1389966660

It makes for a cool pic, but taking a picture of a machine while it's being used isn't really the best idea for shop safety. Know how bad cell phones are for distracting drivers? Same rule applies here. ;)

Your bike looks awesome though. Keep up the good work.

Sirref
January 17th, 2014, 08:48 AM
hahahahahaha I glanced at the price saw 380 and flipped out before realizing it wasn't in USD. I really like that keiti tank protector too. I haven't felt the need to get stomp grip on the sides of the tank yet, at least not as much as less slippery pegs which I believe are around the same price anyway.

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 08:50 AM
shadewalker

It makes for a cool pic, but taking a picture of a machine while it's being used isn't really the best idea for shop safety. Know how bad cell phones are for distracting drivers? Same rule applies here. ;)

Your bike looks awesome though. Keep up the good work.

hahaha i know what you mean. btw this i dont have a lathe or a shop :P just some basic tools for diy. this is a lathe guy near my house who was doing it for me. i was just a bystander in this case :D

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 08:51 AM
hahahahahaha I glanced at the price saw 380 and flipped out before realizing it wasn't in USD. I really like that keiti tank protector too. I haven't felt the need to get stomp grip on the sides of the tank yet, at least not as much as less slippery pegs which I believe are around the same price anyway.

check pm

choneofakind
January 17th, 2014, 08:51 AM
hahaha i know what you mean. btw this i dont have a lathe or a shop :P just some basic tools for diy. this is a lathe guy near my house who was doing it for me. i was just a bystander in this case :D

Well it that case, you have full approval from my corner. Carry on sir. :dancecool:

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Well it that case, you have full approval from my corner. Carry on sir. :dancecool:

not that i dont wish i had my own shop :(

but i need skill too that comes with fabricating stuff. i think the shocker swap has been my toughest diy yet in terms of mechanical. im usually good with modding comps and making cool stuff for my gf :P

old3
January 17th, 2014, 09:31 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/p480x480/1546465_478550845597844_347745753_n.jpgno pics? :(

There ya go. Machined from aluminum block. Painted black. Good balance in fell/power with the stock master cylinder and some grippy pads in it.

I had EBC HH sintered in her but just switched to Bikemaster HH pads. After a few hundred miles I think the EBCs had more bite. They have been covered in road salt again and mist/water/ice so I'm reserving judgment just yet.

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 09:33 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/p480x480/1546465_478550845597844_347745753_n.jpg

There ya go. Machined from aluminum block. Painted black. Good balance in fell/power with the stock master cylinder and some grippy pads in it.

I had EBC HH sintered in her but just switched to Bikemaster HH pads. After a few hundred miles I think the EBCs had more bite. They have been covered in road salt again and mist/water/ice so I'm reserving judgment just yet.

am i being too hopeful if i ask u for the drawing of the bracket? :bow:

old3
January 17th, 2014, 09:39 AM
I can barely take a picture! :eek:

I don't have a micrometer handy if you wanted specs. It wasn't very hard to figure out. My friend laid it out with scrap first. Centered the caliper on the rotor. Scribed a few lines on a piece of plate and found the holes. Offset was easy. It is just a stepped piece.

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 09:41 AM
I can barely take a picture! :eek:

I don't have a micrometer handy if you wanted specs. It wasn't very hard to figure out. My friend laid it out with scrap first. Centered the caliper on the rotor. Scribed a few lines on a piece of plate and found the holes. Offset was easy. It is just a stepped piece.

hahaha. keeps the mystery alive :P

ok ill definitely take it to the machine guy and see if he can figure it out.. step one would be to find a good caliper.

old3
January 17th, 2014, 09:42 AM
I think if he sees that pic it is pretty simple to duplicate with the parts in his hands.

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 09:43 AM
I think if he sees that pic it is pretty simple to duplicate with the parts in his hands.

i would definitely need a better picture :angel:

old3
January 17th, 2014, 10:32 AM
I'll get one in the day light buddy. NP. Maybe not shake the phone either? :D

And a few angles too. It was a hurried task, I'll admit!

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 10:37 AM
I'll get one in the day light buddy. NP. Maybe not shake the phone either? :D

And a few angles too. It was a hurried task, I'll admit!

that would be awesome :) :)

old3
January 17th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Side shot.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/q71/s320x320/1526973_478702892249306_265214766_n.jpg

old3
January 17th, 2014, 05:31 PM
View from top/rear. The bolts are held by a nut which is between the rotor and fork leg mounting ear.

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/q71/s320x320/1521816_478703022249293_1622426831_n.jpg

old3
January 17th, 2014, 05:32 PM
This shot is from the front and looking up from underneath it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/q71/s320x320/1535397_478703078915954_750510886_n.jpg

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Much much much appreciated.. Thanks

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Much much much appreciated.. Thanks

old3
January 17th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Once was enough! :thumbup:

Best I can do without a good measuring caliper or such, the outer face is just a hair more than 14mm thick. A 15mm wrench is loose, the 14mm wrench almost fits on it, it might but would scratch my paint for sure. That is the section the bolts pass thru in the first pic. Basically, 14-15mm from the outer face of my mount to the outer face of the fork boss. That will get you in the ballpark.

It was milled from a single block but welding a few steel parts up might be easier.

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Once was enough! :thumbup:

Best I can do without a good measuring caliper or such, the outer face is just a hair more than 14mm thick. A 15mm wrench is loose, the 14mm wrench almost fits on it, it might but would scratch my paint for sure. That is the section the bolts pass thru in the first pic. Basically, 14-15mm from the outer face of my mount to the outer face of the fork boss. That will get you in the ballpark.

It was milled from a single block but welding a few steel parts up might be easier.

Hmmm.. Now this could take some time.. Time to go caliper hunting on eBay and the guy I know:-D

old3
January 17th, 2014, 06:36 PM
FWIW my buddy who milled it said it would have been easier to build a mount for a radial caliper. The Tokico was super cheap, and very available so I don't worry about finding another if I need it. Plus it works very well so it is all good.

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 06:55 PM
FWIW my buddy who milled it said it would have been easier to build a mount for a radial caliper. The Tokico was super cheap, and very available so I don't worry about finding another if I need it. Plus it works very well so it is all good.

If that's the case then I'm golden coz its way easier to get my hands on a brand new radial caliper for next to nothing.. I have a couple of friends who swapped their stock calipers for brembos.. Ill definitely have to get a bigger rotor though..

old3
January 17th, 2014, 07:42 PM
I've got a 320mm GSXR (pre 04 iirc), rotor from a buddy that I'll be building a new center for to bolt it to the Ninja hub, then a new caliper mount to follow unless I get my CBR fork conversion finished first.

The CBR rotors are 330mm. That would be a nice choice too, but here they are a lil rare. GSXR parts are littering the streets! :D

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 07:46 PM
I've got a 320mm GSXR (pre 04 iirc), rotor from a buddy that I'll be building a new center for to bolt it to the Ninja hub, then a new caliper mount to follow unless I get my CBR fork conversion finished first.

The CBR rotors are 330mm. That would be a nice choice too, but here they are a lil rare. GSXR parts are littering the streets! :D

That's just what I was thinking.. Why are there so many Gixxer parts up for grabs. Crashes or just poor quality which makes people want to upgrade..

old3
January 17th, 2014, 07:54 PM
That's just what I was thinking.. Why are there so many Gixxer parts up for grabs. Crashes or just poor quality which makes people want to upgrade..

Ultimate squid bike. Many crashed or abused/neglected to an early grave.

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Had a feeling.. Even the ktm duke 200 and 390 are major squid bikes.. I was at the workshop yesterday and there was a brand new 390 with both rims bent and one 200 with a bent front axle.. Within a week of selling the 200 there were close to 30 crashed bikes in the workshop.. Lol.. Can't even begin to imagine what would happen if these people were given an inline 4..worst part is that there isn't any formality needed for a license.. Just pay 30 dollars and u have ur drivers license which covers cars and bikes..

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Yay clipons are here but I can't install them till the 24th..i just left for a different state to a friends wedding.. So bearings and clipons shall be done together.

shadewalker
January 17th, 2014, 11:18 PM
Btw I have a small. Doubt about the shocker install. The top mounting on the shocker uses a thinner nut and bushing than the 300 so I basically used the same bolt that came out of the Gixxer dogbone.. Is that ok? Or should I change it?

old3
January 18th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Drill the shock bushing. A good bit will go right thru it, then use the Ninja hardware. You need to drill the lower shock mount hole too, as well as widen the opening for the linkage to fit into.

shadewalker
January 18th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Drill the shock bushing. A good bit will go right thru it, then use the Ninja hardware. You need to drill the lower shock mount hole too, as well as widen the opening for the linkage to fit into.

The lower linkage mount I've drilled with a 12mm bit as mentioned by you. But is using the thinner bolt on the top mounting a bad idea? Coz ot fits like a glove

old3
January 18th, 2014, 08:13 AM
It will be loose in the frame holes if I'm remembering it correctly.

shadewalker
January 18th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Hmmm ok ill drill the hole to make the original hardware fit

shadewalker
January 23rd, 2014, 10:02 PM
Guys I'm having a huge problem. I was installing the Woodcraft clipons with the 2 1/2 inch risers and it was still touching the visor. Could it be because of my master cylinder levers and clutch perch? Coz all of them are from the 636.i had to cut away on the sides of the visor a little bit so that they dont interfere.

Does that seem normal or have I do e something wrong?

shadewalker
January 23rd, 2014, 10:57 PM
What do you guys think?

mania
January 24th, 2014, 04:13 AM
What do you guys think?

Ouch!

shadewalker
January 24th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Ouch!

Exactly

old3
January 24th, 2014, 12:57 PM
shouldnt take too long. maybe a week to 10 days and i should have that too. i just hope old3 can get me the drawings for the bracket :D :D

I don't know if you picked it up on my other thread but SV Racing is using my bracket as a template to start building them for both Tokico and Nissan calipers for our bikes. I'm running a 6 piston cal off a Hyabusa and have a Verseys master en route to try on it. The OEM 13mm pushes it pretty well but I'm thinking the bigger piston will help reduce effort and lever travel.

old3
January 24th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Exactly

Put down the sawzall and step away from the motorcycle!!! :eek:

You guys can get those sweet real handle bar kits over there. Sorry but I'd be all over those, pick you favorite bend and enjoy.

old3
January 24th, 2014, 01:03 PM
http://www.beet.co.jp/english/kawasaki/ninja250/zoomimg/barhan_clamp02.jpg

shadewalker
January 24th, 2014, 02:41 PM
I don't know if you picked it up on my other thread but SV Racing is using my bracket as a template to start building them for both Tokico and Nissan calipers for our bikes. I'm running a 6 piston cal off a Hyabusa and have a Verseys master en route to try on it. The OEM 13mm pushes it pretty well but I'm thinking the bigger piston will help reduce effort and lever travel.

I definitely did not see that.. So is it on their website yet or do I need to Contact them directly?

old3
January 24th, 2014, 03:18 PM
He should have just gotten it today so it will be awhile before he has them ready for sale. Keep an eye out here and I'll start a new thread about when they will be available after I get mine back.

He will build a nice piece, no doubt.

shadewalker
January 24th, 2014, 06:11 PM
He should have just gotten it today so it will be awhile before he has them ready for sale. Keep an eye out here and I'll start a new thread about when they will be available after I get mine back.

He will build a nice piece, no doubt.

That's awesome.. Ull definitely keep an eye out for that.. And do you have any wisdom about my clipons issue?

TnNinjaGirl
January 24th, 2014, 08:01 PM
I don't really see why you need to go full lock with absolutely no clearance issues. The only time you go lock is when you are scooting forward or backwards. Mine had clearance issues and was fine for daily driving. My friend's r6 has clearance issues and it hasn't been a problem.

However from the look of it (hard to tell) you may have your levers angled too far up.

shadewalker
January 24th, 2014, 08:47 PM
I don't really see why you need to go full lock with absolutely no clearance issues. The only time you go lock is when you are scooting forward or backwards. Mine had clearance issues and was fine for daily driving. My friend's r6 has clearance issues and it hasn't been a problem.

However from the look of it (hard to tell) you may have your levers angled too far up.

Clearance issue isn't exactly a problem like u said unless I need to turn the bike around in a tight spot.. But now that I have shaved the visor I'm not having that problem anymore.

And the angle can't be changed much because right now the risers are flush with the triple. So I barely have any room to change the angle.. And since I'm not the only one with clearance issues I feel so much better.. Thank u for that. :dancecool:

TnNinjaGirl
January 24th, 2014, 09:05 PM
:thumbup:

shadewalker
January 24th, 2014, 09:06 PM
But I must say.. The difference in ride quality is immense.. It feels really different and almost intuitive.

old3
January 24th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Um, I ride some gymkahana type stuff and go full lock in tight circles and figure 8s all the time. I'd not be interested in anything like your clip ons.

Sorry, I've got nothing good to say about that situation. I'd be interested in the exact opposite of those, more leverage and less back contortion. Full tuck is useful in track riding when competing or trying for the best lap times at higher speeds. That bar kit I posted above is my ideal set up. Easier steering, more control at speeds these bike actually go, under 90MPH for the most part.

I've got a dirt/supermoto background. Lots of street/road exclusive guys don't get it. I use my legs as much as my arms when tossing the bike around. Anything that exaggerates the riding position away from a position I am comfortable in and have max leverage over the bike is a negative to me.

I'd go back to stock, and I hate the bar angle of the stock ridiculous bolt on bars. I'd far prefer the regular handle bars and have some adjustment in height, rotation and the different bends that are available to find the right position.

I usually ran "superbike" bars on my street bikes and adjusted height with riser blocks if needed. Make the bike fit you, not the opposite is my preference. If that is your ideal position, that is up to you. It wouldn't agree with me at all.

TnNinjaGirl
January 24th, 2014, 10:35 PM
old3 completely different styles of riding. Each has it's merits and own particular setup

old3
January 24th, 2014, 10:43 PM
old3 completely different styles of riding. Each has it's merits and own particular setup

Absolutely. If I was riding around exclusively at speeds over 90-100 MPH I'd want to be rotated forward to get out of the air. My bike is street ridden, and sees everything from "performance" riding at 8 MPH to country roads at 60 MPH to highways at 75 MPH. These bikes don't really lend themselves to hyper speed riding, but everyone has a different use for their bikes.

I fear many do this type of mod as they think it is "sport" style and must be better. I'd venture a guess for most it isn't and in fact is probably worse than stock. Your results may vary.

shadewalker
January 25th, 2014, 12:46 AM
Absolutely. If I was riding around exclusively at speeds over 90-100 MPH I'd want to be rotated forward to get out of the air. My bike is street ridden, and sees everything from "performance" riding at 8 MPH to country roads at 60 MPH to highways at 75 MPH. These bikes don't really lend themselves to hyper speed riding, but everyone has a different use for their bikes.

I fear many do this type of mod as they think it is "sport" style and must be better. I'd venture a guess for most it isn't and in fact is probably worse than stock. Your results may vary.

Honestly. The biggest reason for me to change the clipons was not coz of the ride quality. i was happy with stock. the biggest reason to upgrade was to install the preload adjusters :D

also after installing the shock the ride height has reduced. i feel closer to the ground but my footpegs touch the ground all the more faster. so im thinking of shaving a bit off the footpeg sliders and then eventually getting a yoshi rear set bracket.

@ old yep it totally differs depending on riding styles. although for tourin i can bet those regular handlebars would be a godsend :thumbup:

TnNinjaGirl
January 25th, 2014, 06:17 AM

Ah sorry for the misunderstanding. I got ya now :thumbup:

old3
January 25th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Honestly. The biggest reason for me to change the clipons was not coz of the ride quality. i was happy with stock. the biggest reason to upgrade was to install the preload adjusters :D

also after installing the shock the ride height has reduced. i feel closer to the ground but my footpegs touch the ground all the more faster. so im thinking of shaving a bit off the footpeg sliders and then eventually getting a yoshi rear set bracket.

@ old yep it totally differs depending on riding styles. although for tourin i can bet those regular handlebars would be a godsend :thumbup:

I've got the SV Racing rear sets, (that was how I cyber met Blair, the guy building the brake parts for us) and found them to be excellent fit, finish and structural strength. I drag them in only the most extreme conditions. Shifting and braking feel/precision also is awesome. Very tight tolerances in these parts. Give them a look too.

For my favorite riding, which is tight, twisty mountain roads with constant left to right steering transitions, those true full bars would be ideal. I'm still on the fence about keeping this bike and finishing the front end conversion I started. The last thing I want to do is hack the fairings then try to sell it off if the 390s are available here and as good as I hope they will be.

shadewalker
January 25th, 2014, 09:13 AM
I've got the SV Racing rear sets, (that was how I cyber met Blair, the guy building the brake parts for us) and found them to be excellent fit, finish and structural strength. I drag them in only the most extreme conditions. Shifting and braking feel/precision also is awesome. Very tight tolerances in these parts. Give them a look too.

For my favorite riding, which is tight, twisty mountain roads with constant left to right steering transitions, those true full bars would be ideal. I'm still on the fence about keeping this bike and finishing the front end conversion I started. The last thing I want to do is hack the fairings then try to sell it off if the 390s are available here and as good as I hope they will be.

the less i say about the 390 the better it is.. i mean fine its got better low end torque but compared to the 300 it feels very awkward. and im not too sure about the long term reliability on those things if you are getting the ones manufactured here. the company BAJAJ who is manufacturing the 390's is notorious for BAD BAD BAD quality control. we are seeing so many issues with the 200 and already bad cold starts oil leaks and abs issues on the 390. id be very careful if was you.

oh and ill surely have a look at the sv rearsets.

old3
January 25th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I've got a 20 year history racing the Austrian KTMs, but yes, I know little to nothing about Bajaj so I'm very skeptical. If the bikes are close to what "real" KTMs are, it'll be OK. They have little oddities and don't suffer fools well in my experience. You really have to read the bikes and the manuals very closely.

Have you ridden the 390?

shadewalker
January 25th, 2014, 09:21 AM
I've got a 20 year history racing the Austrian KTMs, but yes, I know little to nothing about Bajaj so I'm very skeptical. If the bikes are close to what "real" KTMs are, it'll be OK. They have little oddities and don't suffer fools well in my experience. You really have to read the bikes and the manuals very closely.

Have you ridden the 390?

yup i have. its really really powerful for a single cyl. but after riding the 300 it feels a little bland. and experience will definitely help you with that. its just that even the guy who was servicing it said that the people in the assembly line have made a lot of mistakes. including fitting the scavenger oil filer for eg.

old3
January 25th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Hopefully they get the quality control up on the India assembly line. KTM Austria was very good at changing things midyear if necessary and retrofitting the new parts to the already built engines when problems were discovered. They also made errors now and then like a reversed seal on a water pump at original assembly. Put a human in the equation and stuff will happen.

I was worried the scooter DNA might be too strong on these. That is a shame if it is that bad. KTM has built a pretty good rep in the off road community in the USA.

shadewalker
January 25th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Hopefully they get the quality control up on the India assembly line. KTM Austria was very good at changing things midyear if necessary and retrofitting the new parts to the already built engines when problems were discovered. They also made errors now and then like a reversed seal on a water pump at original assembly. Put a human in the equation and stuff will happen.

I was worried the scooter DNA might be too strong on these. That is a shame if it is that bad. KTM has built a pretty good rep in the off road community in the USA.

the bike is terrific. no two thoughts about it. id still say go for it. its the first time an international level bike is being manufactured in India. i shoull cut my own country some slack :P

old3
January 25th, 2014, 10:59 AM
If it ends up being close to the Ninja, I won't bother to get one. If it has a real advantage, I might but not if it is a crappy build or has junky parts. I've already fought thru most of that on the 300! :D

If it was a pure Austrian KTM I would have put down a cash deposit last year when it was announced.

shadewalker
January 25th, 2014, 11:01 AM
If it ends up being close to the Ninja, I won't bother to get one. If it has a real advantage, I might but not if it is a crappy build or has junky parts. I've already fought thru most of that on the 300! :D

If it was a pure Austrian KTM I would have put down a cash deposit last year when it was announced.

hahaha. i had initially booked the 390 only but then when in heard of all the issues i shifted to the 300 even thought it cost me twice as much. :S
how much is it going for over there?

old3
January 25th, 2014, 11:13 AM
They stated the bikes would be under or around $6500 as I recall. Still no release date, and knowing KTM we may never see these bikes at all. Who knows? If nothing else maybe they will get all the bugs out of them before they appear here?

Did you ride the Duke or the RC 390? There are spy shots of a SM version floating around now too, with hopes of a DS or Adv style from many I know.

I can't imagine it being bland compared to the 300, which is about as bland as I can stand already! :eek:

shadewalker
January 25th, 2014, 11:16 AM
They stated the bikes would be under or around $6500 as I recall. Still no release date, and knowing KTM we may never see these bikes at all. Who knows? If nothing else maybe they will get all the bugs out of them before they appear here?

Did you ride the Duke or the RC 390? There are spy shots of a SM version floating around now too, with hopes of a DS or Adv style from many I know.

I can't imagine it being bland compared to the 300, which is about as bland as I can stand already! :eek:

hahaha. i meant bland for me :P i guess im not a big fan of DS bikes.

and i rode the 390. its available for 3200 usd and the 300 is for 6400 usd on road pricing

shadewalker
January 25th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Something to this effect?http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/wp-content/gallery/2014-ktm-rc390-official/2014-ktm-rc390-08.jpg

old3
January 25th, 2014, 12:10 PM
You rode the RC390 or the Duke 390? I'm missing it, sorry.

Were you able to open it up? Did it revout well? Good top end? Lighter feeling than the 300? Brakes good?

Do they offer a DS version there already? I haven't seen one in pics yet.

shadewalker
January 25th, 2014, 12:12 PM
You rode the RC390 or the Duke 390? I'm missing it, sorry.

Were you able to open it up? Did it revout well? Good top end? Lighter feeling than the 300? Brakes good?

Do they offer a DS version there already? I haven't seen one in pics yet.

i rode the duke 390.

brakes are absolutely epic. radial mounted calipers. handling is amazing. doesn't feel as smooth as the 300 though. yeah i opened it up. 1st gear is even shorter than a stock 300 :S. and yes it definitely feels nimble but i haven't had a chance to ride it after i got the 300. ill borrow one form a friend and see how it feels as compared to the 300 now

old3
January 25th, 2014, 12:22 PM
It'd be great if you could post up a lil comparison thread for everyone here in the USA if you can get one to ride. I'd probably lean towards the Duke over the RC myself if I get the choice. I had a 640 Duke 2 and several KTM and Husky supermotos. They just work better on the busted tar around where I ride in the north east USA.

Thanks!

shadewalker
January 25th, 2014, 12:24 PM
It'd be great if you could post up a lil comparison thread for everyone here in the USA if you can get one to ride. I'd probably lean towards the Duke over the RC myself if I get the choice. I had a 640 Duke 2 and several KTM and Husky supermotos. They just work better on the busted tar around where I ride in the north east USA.

Thanks!

well maybe this would help :)

http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/kawasaki-ninja-300r/ktm-duke-390-vs-kawasaki-ninja-300-shootout/

old3
January 25th, 2014, 12:27 PM
I read that but honestly didn't buy most of their observations. Cultural differences maybe but it didn't come off very trustworthy?

quoted from the article, "The Kawasaki Ninja 300 is almost faultless when it comes to built quality with fit and finish levels being truly top notch in every way".

Seriously? LoL!

shadewalker
January 25th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I read that but honestly didn't buy most of their observations. Cultural differences maybe but it didn't come off very trustworthy?

hahahaha so i wasnt the only one who thought so :P. i thought i was being biased towards the 300 :P

ok so what ill do is ill ride the 390 and draw a comparison(unbiased) and post it up here.
although i dont have the abs version of the 300 so braking would be a little difficult to compare. other things should be easy.

shadewalker
January 26th, 2014, 06:40 AM
Just a random shot from today's ride.

mania
January 27th, 2014, 12:20 AM

Shadewalker I see you live next door in India
Why not just get a caliper bracket from Thailand
like these I posted?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=798056&postcount=38

Even Indonesia imports them from here
If you need help give me a holler & maybe I can help you get them if need be.

mania
January 27th, 2014, 12:25 AM
hahaha. i meant bland for me :P i guess im not a big fan of DS bikes.

and i rode the 390. its available for 3200 usd and the 300 is for 6400 usd on road pricing

$3200 USD That is the India price we heard here in Thailand too.
A couple guys here bought them & had them transported to Cambodia then they are bringing them in on a Temp registration

The reason is the KTM dealer in Thailand charges $10,300 USD claiming it is due to taxes but I think it is due to a high markup ;)

shadewalker
January 27th, 2014, 12:25 AM
Shadewalker I see you live next door in India
Why not just get a caliper bracket from Thailand
like these I posted?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=798056&postcount=38

Even Indonesia imports them from here
If you need help give me a holler & maybe I can help you get them if need be.

Thanks, that would be great. I sent them a message on Facebook yesterday asking them if they ship to India and they said yes. Now I have asked them how much the radial caliper is for. If it's decent then ill order that caliper and give the tokico caliper to A friend. If I'm unable to get much info directory I'll definitely look you up. :rolleyes:

mania
January 27th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Thanks, that would be great. I sent them a message on Facebook yesterday asking them if they ship to India and they said yes. Now I have asked them how much the radial caliper is for. If it's decent then ill order that caliper and give the tokico caliper to A friend. If I'm unable to get much info directory I'll definitely look you up. :rolleyes:

Cool...yes they are a bit busy now as they just finished Bike Week at Bangsaeng
That radial front mount runs about $55-60
Or did you mean the actual Brembo Caliper? That is of course pricey at about $260

shadewalker
January 27th, 2014, 12:42 AM
Cool...yes they are a bit busy now as they just finished Bike Week at Bangsaeng
That radial front mount runs about $55-60
Or did you mean the actual Brembo Caliper? That is of course pricey at about $260

Nope just the bracket. The brake caliper I'll get here locally. I can get a tokico or a Nissin for less than 100 dollars.. And 60 bucks is Damn reasonable for the bracket.. Shipping shouldn't be much since I presume it's gonna be a light part.. Ill see if Svracing also comes up with a bracket soon. Then ill make my decision.

Btw we also had a huge event in Goa called India bike week.. Awesome stuff.. I couldn't go this year but next year I'm. Riding there.

shadewalker
January 27th, 2014, 12:49 AM
$3200 USD That is the India price we heard here in Thailand too.
A couple guys here bought them & had them transported to Cambodia then they are bringing them in on a Temp registration

The reason is the KTM dealer in Thailand charges $10,300 USD claiming it is due to taxes but I think it is due to a high markup ;)

10000 freaking dollars for the 390?are u kidding me? How much does a liter cost? To us a liter bike comes for little over 24k

mania
January 27th, 2014, 01:12 AM
10000 freaking dollars for the 390?are u kidding me? How much does a liter cost? To us a liter bike comes for little over 24k

hahah I know insane eh?

Liter bikes just depends but mostly overpriced
A Kawasaki cheapest at z1000 is $16,700 USD This is not the ZX type but just Z
Ducati Panigale Oh my the cheapest is $42,500 USD :)
KTM RC8 $40,000
Yamaha R1 is $24,300

Honda 1000RRs came way down due to trade agreement I think now
right around 20k

Quite a shock since I am originally from the US where bikes are much cheaper :)

shadewalker
January 27th, 2014, 02:14 AM
hahah I know insane eh?

Liter bikes just depends but mostly overpriced
A Kawasaki cheapest at z1000 is $16,700 USD This is not the ZX type but just Z
Ducati Panigale Oh my the cheapest is $42,500 USD :)
KTM RC8 $40,000
Yamaha R1 is $24,300

Honda 1000RRs came way down due to trade agreement I think now
right around 20k

Quite a shock since I am originally from the US where bikes are much cheaper :)

Wow.. Insane.. Although panigale and r1 sound about the same..

shadewalker
January 27th, 2014, 02:59 AM
It's here... Super excited.:dancecool:

shadewalker
January 27th, 2014, 03:26 AM
Awesome news.. So I got the quote from.. Rsv for a total of 2600 bhat Including shipping which is close to 60 dollars.. Which is epic. I think ill definitely go for this.. Ill visit the salvage guy once the bracket arrives and look for a god caliper to go with it.. If I'm. Lucky I might get a Brembo for cheap :-D

mania
January 27th, 2014, 04:56 AM
Awesome news.. So I got the quote from.. Rsv for a total of 2600 bhat Including shipping which is close to 60 dollars.. Which is epic. I think ill definitely go for this.. Ill visit the salvage guy once the bracket arrives and look for a god caliper to go with it.. If I'm. Lucky I might get a Brembo for cheap :-D

Congrats & yes that is a good deal

I thought it would be good for you because India is so close.

shadewalker
January 27th, 2014, 09:49 AM
my bike officially been Bazzazzed by me ! yay yay yay.

ill go take a ride and check it asap :P

Xtina
January 27th, 2014, 04:38 PM
First of all i wanna thank old3, cuong-nutz and Rexbo. their info made this a hell of a lot easier for me.

it feels tremendous but i will have to play around with the damping and compression to get a final feel.

finally pics of the how to

Xtina
January 27th, 2014, 04:42 PM
What do you guys think?

Sweet baby jesus. step away from the windscreen.

Xtina
January 27th, 2014, 04:44 PM
It's here... Super excited.:dancecool:

Does the traction control actually work for this bike??

old3
January 27th, 2014, 05:58 PM

:rotflmao:

I thought it already had it via the net HP! :eek:

shadewalker
January 27th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Sweet baby jesus. step away from the windscreen.

Sorry too. Late.. :-(

Yes yes ir does.
:rotflmao:

I thought it already had it via the net HP! :eek:

Can't u lose traction irrespective of bhp if you have slippery unsavoury roads. Also add water to that equation and it's a nightmare.

So I went out last night to take a test ride and my initial Impressions surprised me. It actually managed to save my ass twice when I tried to push it a little harder on one such turn.. It's obviously difficult to justify buying this unit just for traction control for this bike but for the price it's more or less and added bonus. Including the quick shifter it costs less than the Dynojet pcv. Although I do see real life advantages to the tc at least for where I live.

shadewalker
January 28th, 2014, 03:43 AM
Any updates regarding the caliper adapter by sv? I decided to go for the tokico caliper only because I've been reading online and there is a high chance of flexing if you use an adapter to. Mount a radial caliper. I can't take chances with that.

Somchai
January 28th, 2014, 07:17 AM
shadewalker, this is what you need for your Woodcrafts to change the angle of the clip ons http://www.aftermarketcycles.com/ninja-250r-clip-on-spacer-kit.html#
and with this http://japan.webike.net/products/19841668.html you're able to limit the steering angle.

old3
January 28th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Any updates regarding the caliper adapter by sv? I decided to go for the tokico caliper only because I've been reading online and there is a high chance of flexing if you use an adapter to. Mount a radial caliper. I can't take chances with that.

Not yet buddy, as of yesterday my bracket hadn't been delivered to him yet. It will probably be awhile for him to prototype and test it, then get it into production. They won't be ready in a week or two.

I'll let you know anything I know. :thumbup:

Xtina
January 28th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Not yet buddy, as of yesterday my bracket hadn't been delivered to him yet. It will probably be awhile for him to prototype and test it, then get it into production. They won't be ready in a week or two.

How much are these brackets? I have a gixxer caliper and master hanging around that that I could use.

old3
January 28th, 2014, 11:56 AM
How much are these brackets? I have a gixxer caliper and master hanging around that that I could use.

Hey Xtina,

No price or date for delivery yet. Blair should have gotten mine late yesterday according to my tracking info. I'm sure he will be doing his best to make a smart looking and strong part. I'd guess it might be 2 months out at least?

***I'm guessing*** but he told me he needed some time to R&D, set up, cut and then anodize afterwards, all while running his business so it won't be done and ready for delivery in the next few days.

As soon as I know something I'll post up a new thread about it.

I'd think you might need a master with a smaller piston than the GSXR one that pushed 2 four pots. (8 pistons total). Try it for sure but I'd expect the same results I had on my 04 KTM 950Adv that I converted to single disc, wooden lever feel. It was totally detached feeling from the caliper. Classic mismatch with oversized master cylinder piston.

Hopefully I get my parts back soon to try the Ninja 650 5/8" master and I can give some opinion of how balanced it is.

Xtina
January 28th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Hey Xtina,

No price or date for delivery yet. Blair should have gotten mine late yesterday according to my tracking info. I'm sure he will be doing his best to make a smart looking and strong part. I'd guess it might be 2 months out at least?

***I'm guessing*** but he told me he needed some time to R&D, set up, cut and then anodize afterwards, all while running his business so it won't be done and ready for delivery in the next few days.

As soon as I know something I'll post up a new thread about it.

I'd think you might need a master with a smaller piston than the GSXR one that pushed 2 four pots. (8 pistons total). Try it for sure but I'd expect the same results I had on my 04 KTM 950Adv that I converted to single disc, wooden lever feel. It was totally detached feeling from the caliper. Classic mismatch with oversized master cylinder piston.

Hopefully I get my parts back soon to try the Ninja 650 5/8" master and I can give some opinion of how balanced it is.

Regarding the master issue, that's what I was thinking. it's only displacing half the amount of fluid. But would the gix caliper with stock 300 master work better than the full stock 300 stuff?

shadewalker
January 28th, 2014, 01:20 PM
shadewalker, this is what you need for your Woodcrafts to change the angle of the clip ons http://www.aftermarketcycles.com/ninja-250r-clip-on-spacer-kit.html#
and with this http://japan.webike.net/products/19841668.html you're able to limit the steering angle.

I only wish u had message me before i dremeled my visor.. As of now everything is clear and there are no clearance issues. I filed and sandpapered the edges from. 100 to a 1000 grit.. So it barely looks like someone cut it. Thanks though

Sounds good.. My caliper has been delivered to my cousin. So ill. Probably get it by 30th.

old3
January 28th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Regarding the master issue, that's what I was thinking. it's only displacing half the amount of fluid. But would the gix caliper with stock 300 master work better than the full stock 300 stuff?

Yes, IMO it did. With the 4p cal I was really enjoying the extra power and feel. With the stock master and the 6 piston I was doing full blown vertical stoppies with 2 fingers after the new pads bedded in. This combo feels like it could bend the forks. :eek:

I've been saying the stock master is too big for the 2 piston caliper since day one. The 4 pot really worked great with it. Good feel and power. The 6 piston I have now was still good, and I didn't realize that until I bedded the pads (duh!). I just think it can get even better with a slightly bigger master.

Hopefully I can try it soon. Just sitting there bled with the 6p cal on the rotor it feels great. I'll test the 4pot with it when I get it all back too.

shadewalker
January 28th, 2014, 08:54 PM

As of now I think Jim is very happy with the stock master and gix caliper. I'm waiting for my caliper and bracket and then I'll. Know if a Nissin master from a 636 is good for a 4 pot caliper.

JohnnyBravo
January 28th, 2014, 10:48 PM
It's snowing here... Glad you having good weather!

shadewalker
January 29th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Guys I've done the bearing swap. Got it done at the showroom but it feels horrible..when the bike is jacked up the steering is tight.. But when it's on the ground and u apply the brakes there is definite free play.. What am I doing wrong?

old3
January 29th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Steering bearings? Hmmm. Jacked up you can pretty roughly shake the forks forward & back and zero play? When you feel it on the ground with the brake, get a finger in there by the race to feel if that is the loose point.

If it is, tension isn't set correctly.

Were you sure the races were driven all the way till they seated?

After a few thousand miles I have had to adjust mine a bit as they got looser. I'd never seen that before, but the triples on this bike and the single ring adjuster with no lock nut are crapola IMO.

If not loose at the race, start looking at the brake caliper, brake pads, axle. There isn't much there to do wrong on assembly.

shadewalker
January 29th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Steering bearings? Hmmm. Jacked up you can pretty roughly shake the forks forward & back and zero play? When you feel it on the ground with the brake, get a finger in there by the race to feel if that is the loose point.

If it is, tension isn't set correctly.

Were you sure the races were driven all the way till they seated?

After a few thousand miles I have had to adjust mine a bit as they got looser. I'd never seen that before, but the triples on this bike and the single ring adjuster with no lock nut are crapola IMO.

If not loose at the race, start looking at the brake caliper, brake pads, axle. There isn't much there to do wrong on assembly.
ok so when its jacked up there is a ton of movement even when the steering feels tight. when i apply the brake i feel the stem moving. the races are definitely in all the way. ill go to the workshop to make sure im not making a mistake somwhere. is the top race supposed to feel like a part of the stem without even a fingernail worth of a gap or is that normal?

old3
January 29th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Well, sounds like the bearing is still too loose. You'll need to loosen the triple clamps to get it correct cause the hold the clamps at the height they are at now too. Just remove the top clamp.

I set mine much like a wheel bearing. There is a certain amount of feel involved. I tighten the stem nut under the top clamp while turning the clamps back and forth till I feel the bearing start to drag from too much preload, then I back it off slightly till it is free. You want to be closer to the free side of that range.

Ideally the steering should fall to either side with the slightest pressure when fully assembled, but not be loose. There should be some slight drag on it at he bare clamps, but the weight of the wheel, forks, bars etc. should overcome that.

Ever set a trailer wheel bearing preload? When you tighten the lower nut down, you don't want to crush the bearing, just feel that it got tight while turning, then back it off 1/8 of a turn or about there. Again, there is a "feel" to getting it right. After you set the tension, reset the fork tubes and replace the top clamp. That bolt above the top clamp and the fork pinch bolts are what keep the lower nut from backing off. A second locking ring nut would have been better.

Are you sure you placed the seals in the correct order?

shadewalker
January 29th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Well, sounds like the bearing is still too loose. You'll need to loosen the triple clamps to get it correct cause the hold the clamps at the height they are at now too. Just remove the top clamp.

I set mine much like a wheel bearing. There is a certain amount of feel involved. I tighten the stem nut under the top clamp while turning the clamps back and forth till I feel the bearing start to drag from too much preload, then I back it off slightly till it is free. You want to be closer to the free side of that range.

Ideally the steering should fall to either side with the slightest pressure when fully assembled, but not be loose. There should be some slight drag on it at he bare clamps, but the weight of the wheel, forks, bars etc. should overcome that.

Ever set a trailer wheel bearing preload? When you tighten the lower nut down, you don't want to crush the bearing, just feel that it got tight while turning, then back it off 1/8 of a turn or about there. Again, there is a "feel" to getting it right. After you set the tension, reset the fork tubes and replace the top clamp. That bolt above the top clamp and the fork pinch bolts are what keep the lower nut from backing off. A second locking ring nut would have been better.

Are you sure you placed the seals in the correct order?

i did everything u mentioned. and the bottom seal went before the bearing on the shaft and the top one after the bearing goes in under the stock cover. ill go tomorrow and just get the races checked. like i said there was half a fingernail worth of gap just under the top race. is it supposed to be flush? could that be an issue? coz when i loosen the top nut to let the hangle fall freely on either side the fork moves back and forth like crazy when i check for play. and when i tighten it to remove play the steering becomes tight..
:S

old3
January 29th, 2014, 11:30 AM
I can't recall to be honest, and I just had it all apart last week eyeballing my fork swap options. Sorry buddy.

Are you talking about the top clamp stem bolt or the special nut under the clamp on the stem in your comments? I think you are going to have to pull the forks out and set the preload again, and be sure the seals are not bound up in the bearings.

shadewalker
January 29th, 2014, 11:32 AM
I can't recall to be honest, and I just had it all apart last week eyeballing my fork swap options. Sorry buddy.

Are you talking about the top clamp stem bolt or the special nut under the clamp on the stem in your comments? I think you are going to have to pull the forks out and set the preload again, and be sure the seals are not bound up in the bearings.

seals are definitely not bound up. and i mean the special nut with the 4 notches in it. i think i'll take it apart and try it again :(

old3
January 29th, 2014, 11:45 AM
IIRC a few managed to put the wrong bearings top and bottom.

shadewalker
January 29th, 2014, 11:47 AM
IIRC a few managed to put the wrong bearings top and bottom.

Small on top other on bottom?

old3
January 29th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Can remember buddy. Sorry. I think there is a steering bearing thread somewhere, maybe ask there?

shadewalker
January 29th, 2014, 12:00 PM
I checked those threads and I followed both yours and cruizins steps.. I feel that the top race isn't in completely.. Ill take off the top clamp and have a look

shadewalker
January 31st, 2014, 12:45 AM
ok quick question. when we put everything back together do we put the stock dust caop which is on the top back too?

shadewalker
February 3rd, 2014, 10:39 AM
I've still not been able to fix this issue. :'( I finally gave up and ordered a new set of bearings.. Hoping there is was minor fault with them. I've been unable to ride my bike since then.. I miss it.. :-(

shadewalker
February 5th, 2014, 01:09 AM
Wow finally problem solved.. Had to remove the dust caps that came with the pyramid bearings and had to use my own.. They were causing interference and made my life hell..

old3
February 5th, 2014, 12:19 PM
It had to be something simple, right? Good you figured it out! :thumbup:

shadewalker
February 5th, 2014, 12:20 PM
It had to be something simple, right? Good you figured it out! :thumbup:

you have no idea how relieved i am..

old3
February 5th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Did you ever post up the condition of the stock loose ball bearings and races? Were they pounded?

shadewalker
February 6th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Did you ever post up the condition of the stock loose ball bearings and races? Were they pounded?

no i havent. but they weren't pounded for sure came out almost brand new. i could clean the bearings and races and post pics if you would like me to.

shadewalker
February 6th, 2014, 11:40 AM
just got done installing the SSR preload adjusters. took me 15 minutes after jacking the front up. special mention to Spacep0d for making my life easier by uploading the step by step procedure.

also a small change i made was to the gas tank cover nuts. changed them to red too :D

and im also attaching a pic of the bracked i had made for using the 636 akra on my bike. its made of ss and was fashioned using argon welding. strong stuff i tell you that ss.

so now with all the mods done. i can rest..:woot:

old3
February 6th, 2014, 05:18 PM
no i havent. but they weren't pounded for sure came out almost brand new. i could clean the bearings and races and post pics if you would like me to.

No, no, not necessary. Did you have the wobbles yet. I forget as we cross post in so many different threads.

shadewalker
February 6th, 2014, 08:13 PM
No, no, not necessary. Did you have the wobbles yet. I forget as we cross post in so many different threads.

Oh yeah at about 50 mph.. Felt horrible

shadewalker
February 8th, 2014, 01:45 AM
Just overhauled the calipers.. They were full of the Orange goop that brake oil turns to..yeeuch.. Now it's properly running all 4 pistons..

Xtina
February 10th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Just overhauled the calipers.. They were full of the Orange goop that brake oil turns to..yeeuch.. Now it's properly running all 4 pistons..

Powdercoat it!

shadewalker
February 10th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Powdercoat it!

The caliper? But it's absolutely new now.. Not even a single scratch on the original paint

shadewalker
February 27th, 2014, 03:18 AM
Time to Convert my stock exhaust headers to a full open system.. This weekend I'm going to sit with a Silencer guy and decat my exhaust and also get a new adapter made for the slip on..Let's see how different the bike sounds now.. Super excited :-D

shadewalker
October 2nd, 2014, 08:46 AM
So I'm back.. Really sorry for the absence. I just got sidetracked by my vlogging and work. Ok so here's what I've been upto..

Track days track days and more track days.. Almost thrice a month now lol. It's an addiction I can't get over now. So I've obviously had to mod my bike accordingly. So here's a list of all that I've added since the last time.

10r master cylinder.
Brembo caliper
Ohlins rear suspension
Racetech gold valve emulators
Lust racing 40mm raising links.

Michelin pilot street radials. Since I can't get diablo Rosso 2 in India. Dammit.

Two brothers slip on and a decatted header.

Well that's as much as I remember. I'll be having my first test with the new suspension this weekend and I'll also. Compete in the 251 to 400 class for the best lap times. God that makes me nervous..

We'll wish me Luck guys and ill be sure to. Post a review by Monday.

JohnnyBravo
October 2nd, 2014, 09:30 AM
Your ride is def lookin sweet!!!

shadewalker
October 2nd, 2014, 09:52 PM
Your ride is def lookin sweet!!!

Thanks man..

Here's a video of the latest top Speed Run.

Episode 14 : Ninja 300 Top Speed Run : Quick Shif…: http://youtu.be/7jLtC8Dzwhg

JohnnyBravo
October 3rd, 2014, 01:25 AM
Sweet vid... Ridin like a boss:thumbup: hope your race goes well! The roads in India look exhilarating!!!

shadewalker
October 3rd, 2014, 02:23 AM
Sweet vid... Ridin like a boss:thumbup: hope your race goes well! The roads in India look exhilarating!!!

Every second of my life is exhausting living in India. 😕

Do check out my. Other videos too.. 😊

JohnnyBravo
October 3rd, 2014, 02:29 AM
The road videos I've seen remind me of my times in the middle east... Wild times

Will do... When I wake again