View Full Version : Has anybody got the Kriega R35 backpack?

the big mike
January 16th, 2014, 01:37 PM
I'm really interested in buying that backpack as it seems to be the best I can find that fits my needs perfectly.

One thing that keeps me from buying it is this: I want to have a good quality backpack for riding (which it is), but also for when I'm not riding.

I was wondering if it would be easy to wear without closing the chest straps. You know, wearing it casually to the store or for day trips and stuff, without looking like a weirdo with those huge straps.
I don't think I would buy this backpack if it slips of your shoulders all the time because you HAVE to close the straps... that's not functional enough for the money it costs.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/images/KRU35.jpg

Yz8EYEBjorU

alex.s
January 16th, 2014, 01:58 PM
i love my ogio mach 3. it was $120 i think?

adouglas
January 16th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Don't own one but I'm interested in the R25 myself.

Do you really need a pack that big? 35 liters is a LOT of bag....

Sirref
January 16th, 2014, 02:11 PM
what are you trying to carry? a tent, sleeping bag, cooking materials, and whatever else you need for comfortable long distance moto touring. If that's not your goal then you should save your money and get the R25 or an Ogio bag.

the big mike
January 16th, 2014, 02:50 PM
i love my ogio mach 3. it was $120 i think?

I've been looking at the machs too, but I figured this kind of backpack wouldn't be very practical for daily use (not on the motorcylce I mean)

Sirref
January 16th, 2014, 02:59 PM
as a daily bag mine works perfectly, it's a bit pricey but I got it for free. If I were to pay for a bag then I'd likely go with a Mach 3 (I don't really see much difference for the price from the 3 to the 5) for daily use. I'd only get a kreiga if I intended to do some heavy moto touring that necessitated camping (at some point I'll do that but not quite yet)
http://ogio.com/backpacks/renegade-rss-17

antiant
January 16th, 2014, 03:02 PM
I have the Kriega R20 and planned to use it for carrying things along with a hydration pack. I didn't realize that the R20 (although hydration ready), doesn't have a tube feed, like the R25 does. I have a Giegerrig Hydration Pack, which utilizes 2 tubes and there is only one zipper, to keep it being water resistant, so it doesn't quite work with the hydration pack. The Kriega R20 is also a little small for me. I plan to get the R25 at some point, as it is a little bit bigger and has a tube feed for the hydration pack.

I also brought this backpack on my vacation out of the country, as a carry-on and everyday bag and it worked great. When I bought souveniers, I was able to put it in my bag and adjust the straps accordingly. The ergonomics on this backpack is AMAZING, it really doesn't put pressure on your back. I packed this backpack completely to the brim and had no weight bearing issues or pain as I walked around the city. It's designed for two straps, that is if you are concerned with weight on your back. It can be worn as one strap too, but you have to realize that you're not wearing it the way it was intended. Oh and I have never used the waist straps. Hope that helps.

the big mike
January 16th, 2014, 03:26 PM
adouglas and Sirref

I ride an hour of highway twice a week with a magnetic tank bag that is stuffed with all my books and clothes for a week (I'm a military student)
As my laptop doesn't fit in the tank bag, I need a backpack.

This backpack
- has to be of high quality (The Richa backpack I used was worn out in 2 years)
- must have a large capacity (The Richa had 23 liters but was sometimes completely stuffed)
- must be easy to use on 'not motorcycle related events' (groceries and stuff) (this was my mean concern for this thread)

I have also been doubting about taking the R25 or the R35, but after some comparisons, such as these:
R20 R25 R35 comparison (http://tothepointreviews.wix.com/tothepointreviews#!kriegagroupharness/c73w)
it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference, so why not opt for the larger space?

the big mike
January 16th, 2014, 03:30 PM
as a daily bag mine works perfectly, it's a bit pricey but I got it for free. If I were to pay for a bag then I'd likely go with a Mach 3 (I don't really see much difference for the price from the 3 to the 5) for daily use. I'd only get a kreiga if I intended to do some heavy moto touring that necessitated camping (at some point I'll do that but not quite yet)
http://ogio.com/backpacks/renegade-rss-17

It's a nice backpack, but I don't like having all those pouches. I would end up using only the main compartment...
but thanks for the comment anyway :thumbup:

the mach backpacks just don't seem practical for anything else but riding :(

the big mike
January 16th, 2014, 03:34 PM
But the main question remains, now for both the R35 and R25:
Can it easily be worn without closing the chest straps? Or does it become a burden to keep those straps in place when not closing them? :thumbup:

Sirref
January 16th, 2014, 03:43 PM
it really comes down to 3 things:

Comfort
Price
Usability

When it comes to comfort an average sized bag usually has the advantage on a bag that is too large or too small so I'd say the R25 should take the win here but the R35 may not be too far behind.

In the area of price the R25 is cheaper by a significant, to me, margin. If the extra money spent doesn't matter to you then by all means go ahead and get the R35.

As for usability, The build quality on each bag should be the same, both being of reasonable quality. As for space concerns a 25 liter bag should do just fine. It's inefficient to buy excessively more than you need, particularly if price is more of a concern. Considering though that you need it for groceries the 35 liter may be worth the extra money, that's up for you to decide there. Now considering the laptop situation, if you have a smaller laptop then the kreigas should be fine but if you have a larger "performance" laptop or really anything with a 17" or larger screen then you'll need to look into something else, these bags aren't really designed with transporting laptops as a main focus. They can transport your laptop but it won't be as nice of a fit as other daily bags like the ogio mach series or basically any water resistant daily bag out there.

As with anything you will need to make compromises, There are bags that will protect your laptop better but won't store as many groceries. There are also bags that will store more items but won't store a laptop at all (definitely not what you're looking for) Overall I'd recommend the R35 Kreiga to you due to your need to occasionally carry large amounts of items but if you can get away with getting fewer items each time you go to the grocery store then an Ogio bag would be a great fit, and much better for laptop storage as well as storage of typical classroom materials (calculator, pens, pencils, and the like).

It's a nice backpack, but I don't like having all those pouches. I would end up using only the main compartment...
but thanks for the comment anyway :thumbup:

the mach backpacks just don't seem practical for anything else but riding :(

They really aren't but for riding not many bags can compare, it's all about compromises. the mach likely isn't for you since you need to carry larger amounts of items from time to time.

But the main question remains, now for both the R35 and R25:
Can it easily be worn without closing the chest straps? Or does it become a burden to keep those straps in place when not closing them? :thumbup:

I haven't worn one while riding (I have tried one on at my moto shop and liked the fit (R25) with the mach being only slightly more comfortable to me at the expense of practicality) I would assume as with any other bag that has chest straps that leaving them open on a motorcycle is just asking for the wind to take over and flick them every which way. They're designed to be more comfortable while riding with the chest straps closed so that would be important to take into account. Walking around though you should be just fine without the chest straps.

the big mike
January 16th, 2014, 03:47 PM
I have the Kriega R20 and planned to use it for carrying things along with a hydration pack. I didn't realize that the R20 (although hydration ready), doesn't have a tube feed, like the R25 does. I have a Giegerrig Hydration Pack, which utilizes 2 tubes and there is only one zipper, to keep it being water resistant, so it doesn't quite work with the hydration pack. The Kriega R20 is also a little small for me. I plan to get the R25 at some point, as it is a little bit bigger and has a tube feed for the hydration pack.

I also brought this backpack on my vacation out of the country, as a carry-on and everyday bag and it worked great. When I bought souveniers, I was able to put it in my bag and adjust the straps accordingly. The ergonomics on this backpack is AMAZING, it really doesn't put pressure on your back. I packed this backpack completely to the brim and had no weight bearing issues or pain as I walked around the city. It's designed for two straps, that is if you are concerned with weight on your back. It can be worn as one strap too, but you have to realize that you're not wearing it the way it was intended. Oh and I have never used the waist straps. Hope that helps.

This already helps a little :thumbup: thank you
It's just that the chest harness is a lot bulkier on the R25 and certainly the R35. I guess it would be very weird having to wear it like that during city trips and not like a normal cheap back pack.

If I'm going to spend the money on it, I want to be sure that it is really worth it, not just for the riding part.

the big mike
January 16th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Sirref, thanks for your answer, I like how you adress all the problems :)

- my laptop is 15" so that won't be a problem. It just doesn't fit the tank bag.
- I agree on your comfort, price, usability theory as well as the fact that compromises have to be made
- Your last paragraph proves a misunderstanding: Of course I will close the straps and tighten them up wile riding :p I was asking about letting them open when walking or going to the grocery store, on city trips... :)
As the chest straps are fixed under an angle, I'm afraid they would slip of your shoulders when wearing the backpack just like that.
I don't want to be the weird guy walking around with those HUGE chest straps closed tightly over his t-shirt. :p

Sirref
January 16th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Sirref, thanks for your answer, I like how you adress all the problems :)

- my laptop is 15" so that won't be a problem. It just doesn't fit the tank bag.
- I agree on your comfort, price, usability theory as well as the fact that compromises have to be made
- Your last paragraph proves a misunderstanding: Of course I will close the straps and tighten them up wile riding :p I was asking about letting them open when walking or going to the grocery store, on city trips... :)
As the chest straps are fixed under an angle, I'm afraid they would slip of your shoulders when wearing the backpack just like that.

Yea I read it wrong at first :doh: but you should be just fine walking around with the chest straps open. No problem on the in depth thought process, that's how I typically address purchases of my own figure out every angle then jump on the one that fits my situation best. Best of luck with your decision mike.

the big mike
January 16th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Yea I read it wrong at first :doh: but you should be just fine walking around with the chest straps open. No problem on the in depth thought process, that's how I typically address purchases of my own figure out every angle then jump on the one that fits my situation best. Best of luck with your decision mike.

I vote for you for the next member of the month :p

Sirref
January 16th, 2014, 04:03 PM
I vote for you for the next member of the month :p

:bow: my first vote, I don't even vote for myself :bounce:

chef
January 16th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I have the R25 & its great but limited in size.Its great for general items but when i carry a laptop i prefer a larger bag to prevent warping or bending.
Super comfy even when stuffed full & you will be able to use without the chest straps.
The chest straps are quite thick so if i am using only on the shoulder,tuck the straps behind your back so they"re not flapping.

algs26
January 16th, 2014, 08:51 PM
I think I've read comments about the r35 hitting the back of the helmets of non-tall riders. Just something to consider.

the big mike
February 2nd, 2014, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all your input. I ended up buying the R25 and I'm very happy with it :thumbup:

terasu12
February 2nd, 2014, 07:21 PM
Did you ever consider a non motorcycle specific backpack? Im seriously considering getting a rush 72, it has chest and waist straps.