View Full Version : How to clean carbs with a fuel treatment/seafoam??

Floki
January 19th, 2014, 08:55 AM
I read there was a jiggles diy but I couldn't find the DIY on here. My bike sat for about two weeks while doing the valve job and when the mechanic synced the cabs he said my low end circuit was clogged. I figured it is probably a light deposit and might as well try seafoam, but I'm not sure how I should use it.

One guy drained his floats and refilled them with seafoam, let it sit for a day, then replaced it with gas. Is that a safe method? I don't want to be stranded at college because that is where I am.

Motofool
January 19th, 2014, 09:53 AM
............One guy drained his floats and refilled them with seafoam, let it sit for a day, then replaced it with gas. Is that a safe method? I don't want to be stranded at college because that is where I am.

What was the result for that one guy?

I see no problem in doing that; however, heat and gasoline of normal operation will eventually clear the jets (as long as you are willing to put up with poor performance for about one day of riding).

http://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/technical-information-gas-engines/

Sea Foam contains:
Pale Oil 50%
Naphtha 30%
Isopropyl Alcohol 20%

DaBlue1
January 19th, 2014, 10:37 AM
.... My bike sat for about two weeks while doing the valve job and when the mechanic synced the cabs he said my low end circuit was clogged.

Not sure what kind of gas you use, but gas going bad in two weeks and clogging jets is rare. Sounds more like some water in the fuel (especially if the bike was stored outside).

I'd get some ethanol free 87 octane and some Star Tron Fuel Treatment (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=640346&postcount=4). Real easy to use, works great and good reviews.

jkv45
January 19th, 2014, 12:24 PM
That does sound odd that the gas would go bad in that amount of time. Even if it went bad it still wouldn't plug the jets - that takes evaporation and varnishing of the gas. The exception may be debris in the fuel system.

If there's any question about the quality of the fuel, completely drain the tank (and the float bowls) and refill with fresh 87 w/o ethanol and 1 oz per gal of a fuel system cleaner. I personally like Chevron Techron Concentrate the best.

You could fill the floatbowls with straight cleaner and let it sit a while if you wanted to go to the trouble.

Does it run at all? If so, and it's safe to ride, I'd change the gas and add the cleaner then ride it a while.