View Full Version : Plasti Dipped my 2010 Ninja 250R.

TheZombieBoss
January 19th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Here is a link to the images.

http://imgur.com/a/KxX4L

Feel free to ask any questions.
I will update if I have any issues with it starting to peel on me.

Sirref
January 19th, 2014, 09:44 PM
As much as I like the blue newgen, That doesn't look bad at all. :thumbup:

TheZombieBoss
January 19th, 2014, 09:48 PM
As much as I like the blue newgen, That doesn't look bad at all. :thumbup:

I was not a fan of the blue. However I did not want to buy another set of OEM fairings or risk aftermarket fairings so I decided to go the Plasti Dip route. If this fails then I will probably just have it painted professionally, but for the cost this was worth the try.

Sirref
January 19th, 2014, 09:51 PM
I was not a fan of the blue. However I did not want to buy another set of OEM fairings or risk aftermarket fairings so I decided to go the Plasti Dip route. If this fails then I will probably just have it painted professionally, but for the cost this was worth the try.

You seem to be good so far. One of the features of plastidip is easy removal too in case you get bored of the color ;)

Snake
January 19th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Great job! Looks awesome.

alex.s
January 20th, 2014, 12:29 AM
i upped your thing on reddit and then saw this

KawiKid860
January 20th, 2014, 02:07 AM
Some krylon fusion clearcoat on top of that plastidip will make it a lot more durable but still removable. might also give it more gloss too though.

Sykes92
January 20th, 2014, 06:54 AM
How much did it cost you to do the whole bike?

TheZombieBoss
January 20th, 2014, 08:33 AM
How much did it cost you to do the whole bike?

Only like $70. 6 cans of plasti dip and some other materials.

Bigballsofpaint
January 20th, 2014, 09:18 AM
I was able to do my entire set of hotbodies with only 3 cans. It came out pretty good, some flaws but its for the track. if your going to paint under 60 degrees make sure you heat up the can by putting it in hot water for a few minutes beforehand, otherwise it sprays in globs and is very runny.

Ive seen if you clearcoat over the top it does make it difficult to peel off, it comes off more like paint chips. they sell a gloss from plastidip i think instead.

NevadaWolf
January 20th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I read on here from someone else who Dipped her bike that the gloss comes out kinda yellowish and made her white bike not so white.

I Dipped the side panels of my bike and the only rubbed area so far is one spot where I caught the bike with my knee after lowering it to the side stand without putting the side stand down.

That looks very cool! While I am a fan of the blue, knowing what that charcoal looks like gives options for future paint jobs. Very well done! :D

kennetht
January 22nd, 2014, 06:42 PM
Looks great! Looks just like my bike. Only difference is that I do not have my dank dipped.

Awesome job!

linkinpark9812
January 22nd, 2014, 07:45 PM
Looks great, but the picture where you got the fairings hanging everywhere, looks like the bike is freaking possessed or something!

PartsNinja
January 22nd, 2014, 08:40 PM
Looks awesome man. Id like to learn about the durability of plasti-dip over the period of like 6 months with a good amount of riding.

cbinker
January 22nd, 2014, 08:43 PM
that thing is going to be a furnace in the summer!

stubshaft
January 22nd, 2014, 09:02 PM
Looks great dude!

TheZombieBoss
January 22nd, 2014, 10:53 PM
Looks awesome man. Id like to learn about the durability of plasti-dip over the period of like 6 months with a good amount of riding.

I am going to try my best to keep everyone updated on the progress. There are a few spots that need touching up. Not because they are peeling looks like they just didn't get hit enough during the painting.

TheZombieBoss
January 22nd, 2014, 10:54 PM
Looks great, but the picture where you got the fairings hanging everywhere, looks like the bike is freaking possessed or something!

Yeah I hung them with 10lb fishing wire. So you can not see the wire. BTW I recommend using that for anyone looking to hang piecies while they paint. It did really well and it does not block the paint from getting where it needs to go.

TheZombieBoss
January 22nd, 2014, 10:54 PM
that thing is going to be a furnace in the summer!

Especially here in Bakersfield 110+ summers.

TheZombieBoss
January 22nd, 2014, 10:55 PM
Looks great dude!

TheZombieBoss
January 22nd, 2014, 10:56 PM
I read on here from someone else who Dipped her bike that the gloss comes out kinda yellowish and made her white bike not so white.

I Dipped the side panels of my bike and the only rubbed area so far is one spot where I caught the bike with my knee after lowering it to the side stand without putting the side stand down.

That looks very cool! While I am a fan of the blue, knowing what that charcoal looks like gives options for future paint jobs. Very well done! :D

Appreciate it. If you do go ahead and go with the Dip let me know if you need any help.

TheZombieBoss
January 22nd, 2014, 10:56 PM
Looks great! Looks just like my bike. Only difference is that I do not have my dank dipped.

Awesome job!

I love it so far. Though it looks like you went with the black.

TheZombieBoss
January 22nd, 2014, 10:57 PM
I am thinking about doing the rear set, passenger bars (the things that hold the passenger pegs whatever they are called) and chain guard red to add some color. I also ordered red vinyl Ninja decals to go where the white ones are.

NevadaWolf
January 22nd, 2014, 11:28 PM

:wtf:

*goes back and looks at pics*

OMG that is hysterical and creepy now. Never looking at hanging body parts the same way ever again!

Brian
January 22nd, 2014, 11:33 PM
I've plasti-dipped a lot of things and it holds up surprisingly well. They're built for being sprayed onto tool handles and such, so it's tough enough to even power wash the bike now.

For anyone that is looking to get into a plasti-dip project; the key is to make sure to apply nice thick coats of the product so in the future removing it it will come off in one clean piece, it's meant to just peel off.

You really don't like Candy Plasma Blue? :eek: Such a sexy color mahn..

TheZombieBoss
January 22nd, 2014, 11:43 PM
I've plasti-dipped a lot of things and it holds up surprisingly well. They're built for being sprayed onto tool handles and such, so it's tough enough to even power wash the bike now.

For anyone that is looking to get into a plasti-dip project; the key is to make sure to apply nice thick coats of the product so in the future removing it it will come off in one clean piece, it's meant to just peel off.

You really don't like Candy Plasma Blue? :eek: Such a sexy color mahn..

Just not my color man. Not the worst but not my first pick.

Brian
January 22nd, 2014, 11:45 PM
Just not my color man. Not the worst but not my first pick.

Came out totally bada** though dude! It's like a ninja in disguise with out any of the decals, and the matte finish is sick.

Han Solo 1
January 23rd, 2014, 02:49 PM
Are all Plasti-Dip colors matte?

Looking to maybe paint my bike a nice burnt orange or a deep red this year, but needs to be shiny.

I'd like to not have to pay $500 - $700 if I don't have to. :p

TheZombieBoss
January 23rd, 2014, 02:50 PM

Looking to maybe paint my bike a nice burnt orange or a deep red this year, but needs to be shiny.

I believe they are but you can buy a Glossifier to put over it. Check out Dipyourcar.com.

Brian
January 23rd, 2014, 02:53 PM

https://www.dipyourcar.com/Gloss-Coating/

Han Solo 1
January 23rd, 2014, 03:37 PM
ah I see. Thanks.

xSean13
January 23rd, 2014, 04:29 PM
I see you're using a cargo net, you'll probably start to see the plastidip getting rubbed off on it pretty soon, I know mine did. Maybe the glossifier will help, if you go that route.

TheZombieBoss
January 23rd, 2014, 04:34 PM
I see you're using a cargo net, you'll probably start to see the plastidip getting rubbed off on it pretty soon, I know mine did. Maybe the glossifier will help, if you go that route.

I took it off and have not used it. So it did not cause any damage yet.

Brian
January 25th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Looks absolutely amazing! Do you have a link for this exact color of the dip?

It's dark charcoal grey I thought it was gunmetal but that's too light.

TheZombieBoss
Looks absolutely amazing! Do you have a link for this exact color of the dip?

Select Charcoal (Dark Grey) from the drop down.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/PlastiDip-Spray-All.html

Sirref
does anyone know if plastidip leaves any residue or alters the original paint after you peel it off? I'm thinking of getting some and cleaning my bike before adding it to help protect it from all the salt on the roads.

TheZombieBoss
January 25th, 2014, 12:55 PM
does anyone know if plastidip leaves any residue or alters the original paint after you peel it off? I'm thinking of getting some and cleaning my bike before adding it to help protect it from all the salt on the roads.

I have heard of Plasti Dip removing the clear coat, this is my first experience with it so I can not tell you for sure.

Brocked
January 25th, 2014, 12:56 PM
I had just found it via the YouTube page and delete my comment to save space but I was to slow! Thanks for the rest feedback, and again it looks amazing.

Sirref
January 25th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I have heard of Plasti Dip removing the clear coat, this is my first experience with it so I can not tell you for sure.

Alright, when it comes time to remove it can you PM me or just post in the thread how it is post removal process. I'd rather not take the chance when I can just clean my bike regularly and have peace of mind knowing that the paint finish isn't going to be messed up severely. If it turns out well I'll likely add a coat for next winter and get away with not having to clean it nearly as much and still have peace of mind that there isn't any salt messing with the bike's finish.

Brian
January 25th, 2014, 01:00 PM

Watch these videos Sirref:

vvkq-qyY9aY

q37dZ2YdXl4

TheZombieBoss
January 25th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Alright, when it comes time to remove it can you PM me or just post in the thread how it is post removal process. I'd rather not take the chance when I can just clean my bike regularly and have peace of mind knowing that the paint finish isn't going to be messed up severely. If it turns out well I'll likely add a coat for next winter and get away with not having to clean it nearly as much and still have peace of mind that there isn't any salt messing with the bike's finish.

Not a problem man. I will do my best.
Honestly if you are worried about it I would buy aftermarket fairings and dip those. I know that is expensive but then you can completely save the OEM from any damage at all.

xSean13
January 25th, 2014, 01:19 PM

No and no.

Even when it comes to washing the bike, you can scrub it and it won't come off (unless you're really trying to make it). I used some on the triple tree area and it helped protect the paint from my keys scratching it.

Sirref
January 25th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Watch these videos Sirref:

vvkq-qyY9aY

q37dZ2YdXl4

that was super informative, thank's man :thumbup:
I think I'll look more into plastidipping my bike and car (always wanted an orange car :devil:)

Bigballsofpaint
January 26th, 2014, 07:03 AM
He has a ton of videos and they do give some pretty good info. Like wait a few days before trying to wash the car so the plastidip can cure.

Han Solo 1
February 6th, 2014, 02:03 PM
I have a few questions regarding Plasti dipping:

1. Can you plasti dip the rims if you tape off the tires (obviously)? Or does the plasti dip not hold up under constant splashing, grime, dirt, etc.? Do you need to take off the tires first, or can you spray as is?

2. Can you plasti dip if you don't have a garage? I plan on taking off the fairings, spraying it in my driveway (with tarp underneath of course), and then letting it dry outside (yes, I have a driveway but no garage). Is this okay? Or should I cover the fairings with tarp (not touching the dip of course)?

3. Can I plasti dip my helmet? It's black, but with a matte finish, not shiny. Will Plasti dip still work? I'd like it to match my new colors.

Thanks in advance!! :)

Brian
February 6th, 2014, 05:14 PM

1. Can you plasti dip the rims if you tape off the tires (obviously)? Or does the plasti dip not hold up under constant splashing, grime, dirt, etc.? Do you need to take off the tires first, or can you spray as is?

2. Can you plasti dip if you don't have a garage? I plan on taking off the fairings, spraying it in my driveway (with tarp underneath of course), and then letting it dry outside (yes, I have a driveway but no garage). Is this okay? Or should I cover the fairings with tarp (not touching the dip of course)?

3. Can I plasti dip my helmet? It's black, but with a matte finish, not shiny. Will Plasti dip still work? I'd like it to match my new colors.

1. Yes, it will hold up on your wheels!

2. Yes I don't see why you couldn't let it dry in your driveway, just make sure the air temp is cool and it's not too warm /directly sunny outside.

3. Yes! you can Plasti Dip your helmet, though spraying on flat surfaces are tough enough I couldn't say a helmet would be easy.

Klondike1020
February 6th, 2014, 07:52 PM
An your bike looks great.

Now I have to order 20-30 gal of plasti dip so I can dip everything I own hahahaha

I watched some YouTube vids .

Aggrotech
February 6th, 2014, 09:25 PM

1)kH7PnZH00RA

2) absolutely. Id prolly try on a mildly hot day with 0 to no wind

3) sure you can, however it'll make your helmet hotter, which means your head will cook more than usual. Not only that but im sure there could be an argument made that it might actually affect the helmets protection elements.

Han Solo 1
February 7th, 2014, 07:59 AM
1. Yes, it will hold up on your wheels!

1YOUTUBE]kH7PnZH00RA[/YOUTUBE]

How would that work on a motorcycle, though, without taking off the wheel? The chain, swingarm, etc. are all in the way. If I cover them with plastic bags, etc., will I still be able to get an even spray?

I hate the thought of removing the wheels. I don't have a garage where if something comes up or I get hungry/tired, I can just leave it there and come back to it later. I have to do everything in one shot, which is why I want the least amount of steps possible. :p

Brian
February 7th, 2014, 02:15 PM
How would that work on a motorcycle, though, without taking off the wheel? The chain, swingarm, etc. are all in the way. If I cover them with plastic bags, etc., will I still be able to get an even spray?

I hate the thought of removing the wheels. I don't have a garage where if something comes up or I get hungry/tired, I can just leave it there and come back to it later. I have to do everything in one shot, which is why I want the least amount of steps possible. :p

Yeah, for a car it would be a lot easier considering the whole rim is exposed, the only thing you would have to cover up is the brake rotor / caliper etc.

For a motorcycle, you would definitely need to remove the wheel before you spray it!

Floki
February 8th, 2014, 11:51 AM
For everyone who wants to dip their rims, I have a few tips.

1. I find it easier to take the wheel off and paint it while it is flat. You do not need to tape off the tire. If you paint the sidewall as much as you paint the rim, it will peel off very easily.

2. Do a few practice runs on something. If you paint too thin, it won't peel off easily and will leave residue behind. Too thick and it will bubble and drip.

3. 5-10 minutes between 4 coats, let dry for 30 minutes then you can mount the wheel. Wait about a day before you drive. I painted my cousins and he drove it four hours later to the tint shop. It held up just fine.

This stuff is only susceptible to peeling around the edges where you haven't painted. You cannot shine your tires if you dip the wheels, and the best way I can clean mine is with a jet nozzle on a regular hose. It looks nice and the hassle isn't a big deal if you remember you did it for <$40.

Also if you get new tires, or rotate your tires with a store, THEY MANHANDLE THEM RIMS AND SCRATCH THE DIP OFF AT LEAST ONE EVERYTIME. Like in the center of the rim as if they just threw it shiny side down into the pavement

http://i57.tinypic.com/k9z603.jpg

dcj13
February 8th, 2014, 12:33 PM
...Also if you get new tires, or rotate your tires with a store, THEY MANHANDLE THEM RIMS AND SCRATCH THE DIP OFF AT LEAST ONE EVERYTIME. Like in the center of the rim as if they just threw it shiny side down into the pavement.

That's why you ought to change your own tires. Plus you can save about USD $40 each tire you do yourself. No one will be as careful as you. Get a couple of your biking buddies to go in with you to buy some of the basic equipment (fodder for another thread another day). Pretty soon (at least if you keep the equipment at your house) you'll have 50+ tire changes under your belt and acquire a feel for what's gonna be easy and what's gonna be a PITA.

So about this plasti-dipping of your wheels...
How is it in regard to brake dust adhesion? I understand powder coated wheels really gather the dust and it's more difficult to wash off than painted wheels. Are plasti-dipped wheels easier to clean up? And is it easy to remove tire balancing weights without removing the 'dip? And do the new weights stick OK?

Floki
February 8th, 2014, 12:50 PM
So about this plasti-dipping of your wheels...
How is it in regard to brake dust adhesion? I understand powder coated wheels really gather the dust and it's more difficult to wash off than painted wheels. Are plasti-dipped wheels easier to clean up? And is it easy to remove tire balancing weights without removing the 'dip? And do the new weights stick OK?

They will never look as good as they do when you finish painting them, but if you spray it with a hose and softly wash with a microfiber towel they get pretty nice. The weights for my rims go behind the spokes for the car, on the flat round part. If you have the ones that go on the lip of the rim you will have issues with peeling.

dcj13
February 8th, 2014, 01:01 PM
...The weights for my rims go behind the spokes for the car, on the flat round part. If you have the ones that go on the lip of the rim you will have issues with peeling.

OK. Thanks. I was thinking of bike wheels when asking about the weights, but wasn't clear in my question. Good to hear that the brake dust is no big deal.

Floki
February 8th, 2014, 01:17 PM
If you're not satisfied it will take a whole ten minutes to peel off. As long as you prep it right and paint it thick enough