View Full Version : SoCal: Install shop and tuning recommendations

B2FiNiTY
April 3rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
Hello,

I am looking to get my 09 250r installed with an exhaust and do the proper jet tunning.

Any advice on where to go? Most likely will be getting the area p or yoshi trc exhaust.

kkim
April 3rd, 2009, 01:18 PM
do it yourself. :)

Cali619
April 3rd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Where in SoCal? Im in San Diego and know a couple good shops that wont tear you a new one...

fjyang
April 4th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Asylum motorcycles at La Puente (Los Angeles area) got great service and price is right. Ninja 250's are notorious for bad jetting from factory "F series" I got a Yosh pipe and it took 3 shops before Asylum to get it idle and jetted right with the pipe. I was so tire of super young mechanics using my bike as learning experiment (one even call his school instructor for help) but still can't get my bike to idle right.

Ask for James or Andy (owner), the two mechanics they got has seen better days, but that means years of experience with carbs that new kid on the block just don't have.

B2FiNiTY
April 4th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I'm in the orange county.

I would love to do it myself but the carbs seem like such a pain!!!

kkim
April 4th, 2009, 01:03 AM
jetting is a labor of love. I'd find it almost impossible for a shop to get it tuned to the optimum unless they know 250s well enough and/or have a dyno to get it close.... but then you're talking money to get it done.

shimming the carbs can get you about 75% of what a full jet kit would. It would sure be better than what it is stock.

Have you read the DIY on shimming? It's not that hard if you have some experience working on cars. Do you?

Also, there is s DIY on installing the exhaust. Check it out and see if it's something you are capable of. Really nothing much to it. :)

Real pain is taking off the fairings and gas tank, but again DIYs are available.

miks
April 4th, 2009, 01:11 AM
http://i25.tinypic.com/2977t2.jpg

Plenty of DIY's on this lovely forum, and if you get into trouble theres also plenty of helpful people here to lend a hand. You could save the money and spend it on more useful stuff, gear, lessons, or even fuel :)

fjyang
April 4th, 2009, 01:22 AM
If you want to DIY, A Factory Service Manual is always a great reference/investment and Its the first thing I buy after any bike I bring home.

There was a small shop up in Whittier that the owner race ninja 250, if I remember the name I'll let you know.

B2FiNiTY
April 6th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I have no problem getting my hands dirty. Installing the exhaust can easily done with the eyes closed but what worries me is the jetting. I have no experience in this matter and there looks to be many areas would I could potentially cause damage that could cost me more... however, due to the cost of renting a truck, dropping off the bike, and all the other money spend on the whole ordeal, I'm highly likely going to venture onto this project and go through with the DIY. I'll let you guys know how it goes ;)

miks
April 6th, 2009, 11:38 PM
C'mon mate, take the punt.

Well what ever you do, good luck!