View Full Version : I may have ruined my bike, but I am still going to try to work on it myself.

Floki
January 22nd, 2014, 10:21 AM
So my recent valve adjustment (failure) has turned out to be a big mess. One of the valves pushed the keeper out of the way and one fell into the cylinder just a little bit. They said it may have done damage to the piston so they have to take the head off. I am praying it didn't. Even with labor at $45/hour I am already at $189.

Well guys, hopefully I'll have better luck next time.

csmith12
January 22nd, 2014, 10:24 AM
:(

dcj13
January 22nd, 2014, 10:31 AM
... Even with labor at $45/hour I am already at $189.

$45/hr for mechanical work is a deal!

Costco sells a modest Whistler brand boroscope for about USD $100. Not that you want to accumulate tools at this point in your life, but having a look in the cylinder (through the spark plug hole) at the piston top could tell you what went on.

Thanks for sharing your misfortune (and future progress) with us: a bummer, but a learning experience. And that $45/hr is not a bad deal...

subxero
January 22nd, 2014, 10:37 AM
yeah $45/hr is a steal. In Maryland you could not find anything cheaper than $100/hr for motorcycle work.

alex.s
January 22nd, 2014, 11:26 AM
taking the head off isn't hard. you can do it

i did it while on vacation with almost no tools

Floki
January 22nd, 2014, 11:32 AM
I don't have the time anymore to work on it. I did the valve adjustment over winter break and now I'm about 2 hours from home during the week and working most weekends. I live in a dorm on campus. I hate it.

And yeah labor out here is like $90-100 but this shop Friendly Powersports is doing labor half off for January.

dcj13
January 22nd, 2014, 12:01 PM
...working most weekends. I live in a dorm on campus. I hate it.

C'mon! Living on campus, going to school... This is the time of your life! Learn a lot and have fun! Don't worry about the bike so much: you can work on it during spring or summer break.

iZapp
January 22nd, 2014, 02:48 PM
So my recent valve adjustment (failure) has turned out to be a big mess. One of the valves pushed the keeper out of the way and one fell into the cylinder just a little bit. They said it may have done damage to the piston so they have to take the head off. I am praying it didn't.

the keeper fell out and the VALVE dropped into the cylinder "just a little bit"? they should be able to do a simple leakdown test (similar to compression test, but dont need to crank the engine) and determine if you bent a valve. Then you'll just need to find your missing keepers which may be more of a challenger than the valve.

btw, how do the keepers get involved with a valve adjustment? too much lash and the valves would have made noise, too little lash and the motor would have ran like crap (if at all). no reason for the keepers to come loose. :confused20:

Floki
January 22nd, 2014, 10:14 PM
the keeper fell out and the VALVE dropped into the cylinder "just a little bit"? they should be able to do a simple leakdown test (similar to compression test, but dont need to crank the engine) and determine if you bent a valve. Then you'll just need to find your missing keepers which may be more of a challenger than the valve.

btw, how do the keepers get involved with a valve adjustment? too much lash and the valves would have made noise, too little lash and the motor would have ran like crap (if at all). no reason for the keepers to come loose. :confused20:

I think I failed to time my engine correctly. I adjusted them because they were about .002in below spec. They said they had to make sure that I didn't damage the piston, is that what happens when a valve falls into the cylinder?

mgentz
January 23rd, 2014, 06:16 PM
And more

Floki
January 23rd, 2014, 06:45 PM
No damage to the piston. Total for her to be fixed is 810.62.
They needed to replace two exhaust valves, keepers, and springs. Only one failed but the other was showing signs of failure.

Sirref
January 23rd, 2014, 07:12 PM
With that severity of damage, have you considered finding a new engine on ebay for $3-500 and then installing that. While it's not exceedingly difficult to install a new engine yourself, in your position you may want a shop to install it for you. Even then the total cost will be lower than the 810.62 that you were quoted. Though you would miss out on that feel good feel that you get when you fix something that you broke (or in this case replace)

Floki
January 23rd, 2014, 07:18 PM
With that severity of damage, have you considered finding a new engine on ebay for $3-500 and then installing that. While it's not exceedingly difficult to install a new engine yourself, in your position you may want a shop to install it for you. Even then the total cost will be lower than the 810.62 that you were quoted. Though you would miss out on that feel good feel that you get when you fix something that you broke (or in this case replace)

I'm already at 200 from the tear down, I did think about buying the new engine though. That just seems like a bigger hassle though.

Sirref
January 23rd, 2014, 07:20 PM
hmm, so it'll be ~600 more. If it were me I'd go for the engine and install it myself but if the shop were to install a new engine the total cost would likely be the same so you may as well. :'( unfortunate situation, reminds me of my 250 situation where I've been rebuilding it myself off and on for a few months. i.e. looking at parts and seeing where they go then putting them down and riding my 300.

dcj13
January 23rd, 2014, 07:23 PM
They needed to replace two exhaust valves, keepers, and springs. Only one failed but the other was showing signs of failure.

I'd pay the lady.

Floki
January 23rd, 2014, 07:53 PM
looking at parts and seeing where they go then putting them down and riding my 300.

I WISH I COULD DO THAT lol. That would be perfect. I'm only anxious because I am capable of riding all year but my bike hasn't. If I had something else to putt around on I would have no problem trying to install the engine myself.

Sirref
January 23rd, 2014, 07:55 PM
believe me, your motivation to fix it goes to an all time low the moment you have something better to ride, Had I gotten a scooter or nothing then I would probably have fixed it by now and would likely be finishing up the rebuild (it's a full rebuild into a streetfighter since there was old cosmetic damage that I hadn't bothered fixing)

PartsNinja
January 24th, 2014, 12:16 PM

Umm... just sayin', we sell perfectly good low mile newgen motors shipped to your door for $500. It takes about 2 hours to install a motor in your bike with a helper and no special tools are required. Its actually fairly straight forward.

If you dont have anywhere to work on your bike at, consider renting a storage unit. You can get shop space for somewhere around $50 a month.

PartsNinja
January 24th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I guess I should probably do a youtube tutorial on how to replace a motor. Maybe then I could sell motors faster... :)

Sirref
January 24th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Umm... just sayin', we sell perfectly good low mile newgen motors shipped to your door for $500. It takes about 2 hours to install a motor in your bike with a helper and no special tools are required. Its actually fairly straight forward.

If you dont have anywhere to work on your bike at, consider renting a storage unit. You can get shop space for somewhere around $50 a month.

her total of 810.62 already has 200 or so paid towards it so 500+work = 600+no work, do you have pregen motors?

PartsNinja
January 24th, 2014, 12:58 PM
her total of 810.62 already has 200 or so paid towards it so 500+work = 600+no work, do you have pregen motors?

She could also sell her old motor on ebay (using the packaging materials we would provide with a new motor) and probably get a return of $200-300. (Ha, this is how the brain of an ebay salesperson works)

No pregen motors or parts sorry. Only newgen and Ninja 300 parts.

Floki
January 24th, 2014, 01:13 PM
WOW GUYS WOW. I TIMED MY ENGINE RIGHT CONGRATULATIONS TO ME. However, I did not install the shim completely flat which made everything else sit at an angle. This was the case with two shims, the rest were installed correctly.

Motofool
January 24th, 2014, 08:34 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Floki
January 24th, 2014, 09:02 PM
I didn't even know this was possibru. :(

TnNinjaGirl
January 24th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Great job! You live and learn on these things. Even the best mechanics have a lapse in judgment or other make a mistake from time to time.

Floki
January 25th, 2014, 10:31 AM
I guess I should probably do a youtube tutorial on how to replace a motor. Maybe then I could sell motors faster... :)

I want to buy that motor on your website. However, I do not have 500$ on hand at the moment. Can you hold it for me? You should make a video as well.

PartsNinja
January 25th, 2014, 12:48 PM
I have several that have less than 3k miles. No worries