View Full Version : She wants to learn to ride

Moo-wasaki
April 3rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
She has always wanted to learn to ride on her own. I let her sit on my bike once. She does not want to learn on it though....she thinks I'm anal; IDK! Plus her taste is more for cruisers than the ninja.:eek:

The problem is, I have a hard time imagining her doing it. I worry about her coordination and balance. She does not even know how to drive a stick shift.

My first solution was to get a cruiser and toss her on; let her ride bitch. But she wants to learn. I stopped in at the dealer last weekend and she started looking around at the bikes....big, sharp looking bike. I directed her over to the Honda Rebel to sit on.

I think the best bet is to first get her an MSF class. For a few hundred dollars, she can drop their bikes....and then we can see if this is really for her or not before buying a bike. I would not want anything to happen to her before our daughter is out of diapers.

If it is something she wishes to pursue, would the REBEL be a good starter since she likes that style of bike??? Or, get a pre-gen Ninja for her to learn on first. I told her her first bike would be used.

I tried to talk her into a scooter to learn on first....figured she could learn balance, speed, turns without worrying about shifting. She is not having it...scooter has a negative connotation to her.

Anyways, advice on the Rebel?

kkim
April 3rd, 2009, 06:55 PM
you're in deep caa-caa. :p

I'd try to steer her towards a used pregen. Oldguy will be selling his come spring.

Def the MSF course to see if that lights the fire or extinguishes it.

Sailariel
April 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
I think that the Rebel would work. Yamaha also makes a V Twin Star 250. which is quite nice, She might also want to check out the Honda Nighthawk 250. There are lots of good small bikes out there. Take your time and look around. The right bike will find her.

TnNinjaGirl
April 3rd, 2009, 07:06 PM
Try encouraging her instead of referring to it as riding "bitch". Let her pick the bike she wants, within reason of course. She won't want to be seen on something she doesn't like.

Moo-wasaki
April 3rd, 2009, 07:07 PM
I will be in deep caa-caa if she were to get hurt and leave me to change diapers!

Def do the MSF...she got nervously flushed thinking about taking the class and asked if the instructors would yell at her as she tried to learn. I assured they were there to educate riders.

We do have a elem. school directly across the road...would take advantage of the empty lot for additional practice.

I would not mind adding a bike to the stable even if she changes her mind....I could ride it and save some miles on the 08.

Moo-wasaki
April 3rd, 2009, 07:15 PM
Try encouraging her instead of referring to it as riding "bitch".

Not trying to discourage her.... and only said that jokingly. She is never bitchy.

zartan
April 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
I agree with the MSF course. It is a must. They are not there to scream at anyone.
Let her read all these posts... The MSF course
will give her confidence and frankly ( with complete respect) you seem like you would be too worried about her to teach and would worry she is destined to doom. This I am sure is because you care about her.
Let her learn from a certified teacher that does not have the emotions and fear that you carry.. it is hard enough to learn something new and not fun when my spouse and I are trying to teach each other anything....

Let her pick her bike...this is about her.

IMO I do not like the rebel. Check out the other bikes Sailariel and Kkim mentioned. but again this is about her!! her choice. Rebel or not...

Imagine her doing it.

Scooters are bitchen. I love them but they are different then a motorcycle. If she wants a bike learn on a bike.

Moo-wasaki
April 3rd, 2009, 07:39 PM
Zartan.....true about MSF teaching her....the class even mentioned that you should not learn from a friend or family member. No problem with that.

OldGuy
April 3rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
The MSF course is must and will be a good way for your wife (and you) to sort out any concerns. You can go the the MSF (http://www.msf-usa.org) site and look at a lot of their literature at no cost.

As for the availability of my '01 Ninja - I think those island folks (ahem kkim) don't have a real concept of how far it is from Lincoln to Webster :rolleyes: After the MSF course is the time to really get serious about a bike.

As others have suggested your job should be to support, encourage, and keep the kids out from under foot while your wife finds out if two wheels are for her.

kkim
April 3rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
As for the availability of my '01 Ninja - I think those island folks (ahem kkim) don't have a real concept of how far it is from Lincoln to Webster :rolleyes: you sir, would never make a great car salesman. :)

think of how much experience the wife would get riding the bike back between Lincoln and Webster. :D

but you're right... I have no concept how far we're talking about. :p

OldGuy
April 3rd, 2009, 09:02 PM
you sir, would never make a great car salesman. :)

But I would be an honest one :D

but you're right... I have no concept how far we're talking about. :p

Just as I would have no concept of distance or movement between the islands my friend. The short route (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Webster,+NY&daddr=Lincoln,+NE&geocode=&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=42.015655,-87.066715&sspn=13.720843,20.148926&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=6) would be about 1,200 miles one way.

TnNinjaGirl
April 3rd, 2009, 09:05 PM
An honest car salesman is the epitome of an oxymoron. lol

kkim
April 3rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
An honest car salesman is the epitome of an oxymoron. lol

yes, that describes OG quite well. :lol:

um... I meant that as a compliment OG... your name is "OldGuy", but you're really "Young@Heart".

<pssst, did he buy that???? is he smiling??? :p>

OldGuy
April 3rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
Yea he bought it :rolleyes:

Mean while :focus:

Buffalony
April 4th, 2009, 06:39 AM
The MSF course is must and will be a good way for your wife (and you) to sort out any concerns. You can go the the MSF (http://www.msf-usa.org) site and look at a lot of their literature at no cost.

As for the availability of my '01 Ninja - I think those island folks (ahem kkim) don't have a real concept of how far it is from Lincoln to Webster :rolleyes: After the MSF course is the time to really get serious about a bike.

As others have suggested your job should be to support, encourage, and keep the kids out from under foot while your wife finds out if two wheels are for her.

I could'nt agree more with this. However as far as a bike goes...Get her on one as soon as possible after the course so the lessons really become embedded. IMO. Help her with study, yes keep the kids out of hair, and talk openly together about what is being taught/learned. It'll help it become a more positive grounding point in the motochocho relationship.

The Ninjette owner is part relationship counselor :D

voodoomaster
April 4th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I think that the Rebel would work. Yamaha also makes a V Twin Star 250. which is quite nice, She might also want to check out the Honda Nighthawk 250. There are lots of good small bikes out there. Take your time and look around. The right bike will find her.
I own a 2007 Yami 250 Cruizer, it was renamed to the VStar from Virago for 2009. Very nice beginner machine, and the quality is unsurpassed. Come buy my little plum, I need to unload some of my metal...2 ycles, 2 carbon road bicycles, a turbo beetle and a toyota corolla. Just changing the oil on all these motors is killing me! I will make you a good deal on my sweet cruizer!

voodoomaster
April 4th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I agree with the MSF course. It is a must. They are not there to scream at anyone.
Let her read all these posts... The MSF course
will give her confidence and frankly ( with complete respect) you seem like you would be too worried about her to teach and would worry she is destined to doom. This I am sure is because you care about her.
Let her learn from a certified teacher that does not have the emotions and fear that you carry.. it is hard enough to learn something new and not fun when my spouse and I are trying to teach each other anything....

Let her pick her bike...this is about her.

IMO I do not like the rebel. Check out the other bikes Sailariel and Kkim mentioned. but again this is about her!! her choice. Rebel or not...

Imagine her doing it.

Scooters are bitchen. I love them but they are different then a motorcycle. If she wants a bike learn on a bike.

The Yamaha 250 RULES!

Sound Wave
April 4th, 2009, 09:27 AM
yeah moo, i think the yamaha 250 that voodoo posted up is the perfect bike for her. especially if she likes the cruiser style.

that was actually my msf bike. not sure how tall your wife is. for me, imo the bike seemed a bit small. i am 5'9". iirc, my knees reached halfway on the gas tank (maybe that is the style) but the riding position is REALLY comfortable. so easy to flatfoot it, that it isn't even funny... which is very confidence inspiring. the engine sounded nice too.

my main issue with that bike was that, at low speeds, the throttle was really touchy. i had to really concentrate on clutch control. more so than with the ninja. still, i would really recommend the yamaha.

here is the specs sheet from the yamaha website:
http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelspecs/589/0/specs.aspx

CC Cowboy
April 4th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Make sure you are the beneficiary.

motorcycle_munge
April 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I took them MSF class to become a better passenger, but I really liked riding. The next week after the class I went and bought my Ninja. I got the Ninjette because it was small enough for me to handle, but it can get up to speed and keep up on the highway. My husband is always worried that I am going to do something to hurt myself on my bike, but I like to be the one in control

Sound Wave
April 4th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Make sure you are the beneficiary.
?

Moo-wasaki
April 5th, 2009, 06:13 AM
That reminds me....take out a new life ins. policy and by her a super moto.

But then there are diapers....hmmm??

azia
April 6th, 2009, 09:32 AM
She has always wanted to learn to ride on her own. I let her sit on my bike once. She does not want to learn on it though....she thinks I'm anal; IDK! Plus her taste is more for cruisers than the ninja.:eek:

The problem is, I have a hard time imagining her doing it. I worry about her coordination and balance. She does not even know how to drive a stick shift.

My first solution was to get a cruiser and toss her on; let her ride bitch. But she wants to learn. I stopped in at the dealer last weekend and she started looking around at the bikes....big, sharp looking bike. I directed her over to the Honda Rebel to sit on.

I think the best bet is to first get her an MSF class. For a few hundred dollars, she can drop their bikes....and then we can see if this is really for her or not before buying a bike. I would not want anything to happen to her before our daughter is out of diapers.

If it is something she wishes to pursue, would the REBEL be a good starter since she likes that style of bike??? Or, get a pre-gen Ninja for her to learn on first. I told her her first bike would be used.

I tried to talk her into a scooter to learn on first....figured she could learn balance, speed, turns without worrying about shifting. She is not having it...scooter has a negative connotation to her.

Anyways, advice on the Rebel?

How about you let her think a little for herself? :rolleyes: It's one thing to be concerned but another to have such a condescending/controlling attitude.

Give her a little credit, would ya?

OldGuy
April 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM
How about you let her think a little for herself? :rolleyes: It's one thing to be concerned but another to have such a condescending/controlling attitude.

Maybe you have read the whole thread and still have the same opinion but if not, go read it from start to finish and see that input was asked, received, and from what I can tell is being accepted and acted on.

Moo-wasaki
April 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM

You are joking right? Helping her learn and get her license because it is what she wants; is not me being controlling. Looking for advice on choosing a good starter bike in the style she prefers, does not make me an overbearing male.

In addition, her self admitted lack of coordination; her ignorance on how a combustible engine operates; her giving up on learning how to drive a stick shift when she was younger, is not condescending. But it is concerning if she decides to learn to ride a motorcycle though!

Believe me, it would of been so much easier for both her and I if she was a lesbian:eek:(yeah, I said it)...then she would not of needed to ask a male to help her make an educated decision in this matter and I would not have to worry about her safety. She could man up and do it all herself then...but alas, I can't say that without being condescending/controlling.

The funny thing is...she is her own woman who thinks for herself and has no problem standing up for herself or keeping me in check. It may please you to know that she has a higher IQ than me....don't get to excited though, I'm not far behind. It was my looks and gross(double entendre) sense of humor that caused her crush on me.

If she decides to take this up...I hope her brains compensate for her coordination and questionable sense of balance.

Let me know if you have a starter cycle to suggest. That would be more helpful and less offensive. Thanks.

Moo-wasaki
April 6th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Maybe you have read the whole thread and still have the same opinion but if not, go read it from start to finish and see that input was asked, received, and from what I can tell is being accepted and acted on.

Thank you sir!

zartan
April 6th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Believe me, it would of been so much easier for both her and I if she was a lesbian(yeah, I said it)...then she would not of needed to ask a male to help her make an educated decision in this matter and I would not have to worry about her safety. She could man up and do it all herself then...but alas, I can't say that without being condescending/controlling.

I was on your side bro till you said this haha! Not all lesbians are handy. People are people. I am more handy then my husband. But he is smarter :) and he is a Lesbian trapped in a man's body... yuk! yuk! yea I know you heard it before.

Lets stick to the point here. a pre gen would be great to start on. MSF course and good gear... then let her go!! once she tries it she will be hooked.

chinasmurf
April 6th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I started on a dirtbike. A 4 stroke dirtbike, If you have anyone to just borrow one and put on. Then maybe she can ride the ninjeette right along with ya? Thats what I did. Hope this helps

Moo-wasaki
April 6th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I if she was a lesbian(yeah, I said it)

That is why I said it" " "" "

Everyone is afraid of certain words!

zartan
April 6th, 2009, 11:50 AM
get off the defensive. I was just saying all Lesibians are not handy.

I wasn't riding you. go out and ride. geez

Great idea!! Chinasmurf. falling in the dirt can be less imtimdating!

azia
April 6th, 2009, 12:00 PM
You are joking right? Helping her learn and get her license because it is what she wants; is not me being controlling. Looking for advice on choosing a good starter bike in the style she prefers, does not make me an overbearing male.

In addition, her self admitted lack of coordination; her ignorance on how a combustible engine operates; her giving up on learning how to drive a stick shift when she was younger, is not condescending. But it is concerning if she decides to learn to ride a motorcycle though!

Believe me, it would of been so much easier for both her and I if she was a lesbian:eek:(yeah, I said it)...then she would not of needed to ask a male to help her make an educated decision in this matter and I would not have to worry about her safety. She could man up and do it all herself then...but alas, I can't say that without being condescending/controlling.

The funny thing is...she is her own woman who thinks for herself and has no problem standing up for herself or keeping me in check. It may please you to know that she has a higher IQ than me....don't get to excited though, I'm not far behind. It was my looks and gross(double entendre) sense of humor that caused her crush on me.

If she decides to take this up...I hope her brains compensate for her coordination and questionable sense of balance.

Let me know if you have a starter cycle to suggest. That would be more helpful and less offensive. Thanks.

Step 1: Chill out.

Helping her learn and get her license because it is what she wants; is not me being controlling. Looking for advice on choosing a good starter bike in the style she prefers, does not make me an overbearing male.

No, that is not being controlling or an overbearing male. That is being caring and thoughtful.

But sadly, you can't even tell what parts of your post WERE condescending/sexist/etc. No point wasting the time to explain to you as judging by your response, you're a lost cause. :rolleyes:

zartan
April 6th, 2009, 12:06 PM
:drivingcrash:

this is heading nowhere. If you are gonna argue guys PM each other.

Hey have your wife/GF? join the forum we would love another gal on here....

azia
April 6th, 2009, 12:15 PM
No more, I swear! :ballchain: :D

Rynownd
April 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM
All I can really add is: MSF Course or Bust!

They had some Suzuki Cruiser 250s for us to learn on. That may give her/you an idea of some more bikes to choose from as well as, like someone said, "light the fire or extinguish it." For me it threw gas on the fire! Let's just say it was hellish to wait from May 2008 to March 2009 before I could get a bike.

BlueTyke
April 6th, 2009, 12:49 PM
+100 to all MSF ides. Taking the MSF course before deciding on a bike will give her either the confidence to choose her own or the knowledge that she tried and would prefer to remain on the pillion. If anything it might make her a more confident passenger.

You don't have to be a mechanical genious to know what ride feels more comfortable. I sat on a lot of bikes before I choose the Ninja.

There is the saying "Ride your ride" it is not her ride if someone chooses it for her. I have seen/heard/read a lot of stories how guys (no offense) go out and pick out this bike or that bike for their gf/wife/spouse and it turned out that the person wasn't comfortable on the bike. Legs are to bent, back, arms to stretched, to heavy. These are things that were important for you choosing a bike and they will be so for her.

I will have you know that I am a complete moron when it comes to how to fix my motorcycle. I have a basic understanding of how things work. I maintain my bike to the best of my ability (tire pressure, oil, coolant, etc.. ) and for anything else, she goes into the shop. I do not believe you HAVE to have a complete and utter understanding of a motorcycle to enjoy one. I don't do that with my car.

I NEVER learned how to drive a manual transmission vehicle until I learned to ride. I could possibly drive a car but I am not going to promise that car will make it with it's clutch intact. I don't think you HAVE to know how to do this to do that. Some people are wired one way and think and process things differently than the other.

Good luck. I hope what ever she decides she is happy with it.

Also as a side note-

I have been riding since 06 and I still, and probably will forever more, make my BF of 11 years nervous when I ride, with or without him. The key to note is... He let me decide. I did take the MSF course because I wanted to be a better passenger. I learned. Got my license. Got my bike. I have ridden on his pillion once since then. There are no hard feelings and he is happy I can do it and continue to do so. I am nervous when he rides. I think it goes with the territory.

Buffalony
April 6th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Agreed. If she wants to ride bad enough she should take the course and like you say drop their bikes. Keep in mind as far as bikes go I know alot of the smaller cruisers will not be comfortable doing high speeds or can't. The Kawi EL250 is really nice...probably cause it's an undercover ninjette. Hard to find though. show her a pic http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2006/05/01/bikepics-576836-full.jpg

BlueTyke
April 7th, 2009, 06:26 AM
That is a nice looking bike Joe! :D

Snake
April 7th, 2009, 09:12 AM
+1 the MSF course is a good idea.

miks
April 8th, 2009, 05:13 AM
:whathesaid:

And any other course type things that may help her on the road.

Buffalony
April 8th, 2009, 07:04 AM
That is a nice looking bike Joe! :D

Thank you. I almost had my hands on one. Once I found out it had the ninja 250 power plant in it I wanted it. The guy told me He bought it for his wife and she lost interest. I told him I'll take it off his hands and I'd give him cash. He told me the bike was currently in shop getting valve job and he'll call me when she's out. Never called me, Never answered :(
It pretty ironic seeing the bike in action, like on youtube. Because It looks cruiser, but you hear Ninjette....Thats so fun:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvIQmiC_odc&feature=related

This ones pretty sick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1lzYuMGw2A&NR=1